"American Idiot" Musical Tour

plaid ducky

As far as Jake is concerned, unless he's sick or injured, he'll be in. The only person who might be out for that show is Van since he's usually out one show a week.

The best bet is follow him or Matt or Kelvin on Twitter. They'll probably say something since Matt & Kelvin are Jake's understudies.

Thanks! He really didn't call out much for Spring Awakening (except when he was on vacation) so I was hoping it will be the same here. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. From some of the audio I've heard, Van sounds amazing in that role, but I'll deal if he's not there. I'm following Jake on twitter already, but he doesn't really post. I'll look up Matt and Kelvin and follow them as well. Thanks for suggestion!

Video interview!

How did The Extraordinary Girl learn how to fly? Learn about the process in this interview with Scott J. Campbell and Nicci Claspell!

Green Day’s American Idiot is playing at the Orpheum Theater and is making headlines with its Broadway Show. Emily catches up with two of the stars who helped take the show to new heights.

http://twincitiesliv...shtml?cat=10698

I miss American Idiot when it was on broadway, I went to go see what's at the St. James theater now yesterday and Jesus Christ superstar was there.

For Idiot Club members, there's a presale for Dallas today.

Shout Out to Dallas! Presales for you guys start Monday, Feb 27 at 12pm Local Venue Time through Friday, Mar 9.

5/8-5/20 Winspear Opera House (Dallas, TX)

I miss American Idiot when it was on broadway, I went to go see what's at the St. James theater now yesterday and Jesus Christ superstar was there.

Either you looked at the wrong sign or were at the wrong theater... "Leap of Faith" is going into the St. James. "Jesus Christ Superstar" is at the Neil Simon which is about 4 blocks down from the St. James.

Either you looked at the wrong sign or were at the wrong theater... "Leap of Faith" is going into the St. James. "Jesus Christ Superstar" is at the Neil Simon which is about 4 blocks down from the St. James.

Probably saw it wrong we didn't go to the theater because we had to catch the train, I saw it across the street about half of the block down and it was really dark out, i thought it said Jesus Christ superstar but oh well.

I know I've asked before, but I'm gonna ask again.

Is anyone going to be going on March 3rd in St. Louis? I'll be there at 2:00pm. :runaround:

Here are some stops so far for next season's non-equity tour:

Video interview with Leslie McDonel

Know Your American Idiots! Leslie McDonel on Telling a ‘Modern Love Story’

The radical characters of Green Day’s rock opera American Idiot are coming to St. Louis from March 2 through March 4. Broadway.com is bringing you the scoop on the story of three lifelong friends forced to choose between their dreams and the safety of suburbia and the people they meet along the way. Leslie McDonel plays Heather, a pregnant young woman who is unsure of her boyfriend Will’s commitment. The two decide to make a family, but it's a choice they soon discover is more difficult than they expected. Watch what McDonel has to say about portraying a modern love story on stage and moving with American Idiot from Broadway to cities across the country.

http://stlouis.broadway.com/shows/american-idiot-baa/video/153921/meet-the-american-idiot-tour-cast-leslie-mcdonel/

new blog from nicci

Thursday, March 1, 2012

<a href="http://theycallmenicci.blogspot.com/2012/03/your-questions-answered.html">Your Questions Answered...

DSC01356.JPG

Ladies at our opening night in Minneapolis

Has it truly been nearly two months since I last blogged? I felt like I had made a promise to myself - maybe even to my readers - that I'd blog more, and now I've gone and done the opposite. Or maybe I didn't make that promise. It's been so long, I can't even remember.

We've made it all the way to State College, Pennsylvania by way of Toronto, Detroit, Boston, Raleigh, Chicago, and Minneapolis. To sum it up briefly: Toronto was cooooold but we had a lot of fun; Detroit was much more friendly than we had expected; Boston was so cool to explore and had great food; Raleigh was nice and relaxing; Chicago was wonderful and I had my first real deep dish pizza there; and Minneapolis was confusing with it's skyway but gave us some of the best audiences yet! Now we're in the home of Dan Gleason's alma mater. We opened to a pretty big but polite crowd on Tuesday, and last night we had a great, loud audience for closing. That's right, only two shows and now we're off to St. Louis!

To help me get the ball rolling, I asked people on twitter if there was anything they wanted to know, so here we go...

@cgtheatregeek - "What are your fav and least fav parts about being on the road all the time?"

+ I love being able to travel to so many places I've never been before, and I'm a big foodie so I love to see what the local favorites are! Least favorite part would maybe be living out of a suitcase and trying to keep it under 50 lbs. It's also tricky to eat well sometimes, depending on the area we're staying.

@whatsername43 - "favorite things about the tour and playing extraordinary girl :D"

+ The company I keep is one of my favorite things about tour. Cast, crew, everyone... all so cool. My favorite thing about playing Ex Girl is probably that once I "become" her, I get to take a little break backstage! The first half of my show is dance/sweat/sing/sweat more. It's nice to finally take a breather after I fly.

@alyson_leonard - "Have there been any big stand-out moments for you that have happened while on tour? What has been your favorite stop so far?"

+ There have been a couple not so great stand-out moments involving flying... I guess it can get weird going from city to city, dealing with different power sources and new dressers. There was one time in maybe Boston (?) when Scott's mic fell off his head and I somehow got it back on to a degree, I felt like a hero :) And last week we had a huge fiasco... for anyone who saw the Sunday matinee on the 26th, just know that you didn't see, or hear for that matter, what the flight was intended to be.

On that note, there have been lots of great stand-out moments as well! On our travel day out of Raleigh, all the girls decided to dress like "elegant ladies". We got some interesting looks at the airport. Being on TV for the new year's eve celebration in Canada as soooo much fun! Looking out over Chicago from the Willis Tower was really incredible. Lots of good moments so far.

I've liked different thing about each city we've been to, but I'd say that so far Chicago may have been my favorite stop so far because...

@NikkiRandom1 - "how it was being in Chicago & what was your favorite thing being in Chicago for the 2 weeks?"

+ ...One, we were there for more than a week! I actually got to unpack my suitcase and have a whole free day. Also, my boyfriend was able to be there for a few days including Valentines day <3 and we got to explore together. And also, deep dish pizza!

@armedwithlysol - "...how do you feel about fangirl stalkers at your shows?"

+ Haha, I love talking to fans after the shows!

@armedwithlysol - "Please also finally confirm the cast vote for best deep dish Chicago pizza. What's the best thing you ate on tour?"

+ I don't know about the whole cast, but I dined at Lou Malnati's and Pizzeria Due (because Pizzeria Uno was too packed) and I'd have to say that while Due was nice, The "Lou" at Lou Malnati's has my vote. Wow. Wow. Like, really.

@armedwithlysol - "Legit: How'd your pilot audition go? How do you find time to audition on the road? Also, how do you guys choose roomies?"

+ The audition went great! My manager in Los Angeles got me the audition, it was just lucky that they happened to have a big casting office in Chicago. Several other people from the cast auditioned for the project as well!

As for roommates, most of the cast opts to have their own room, but once in a while Krystina, Jillian and I will choose to room together for a little extra per diem. Sometimes it's every other city, it just kind of happens.

@IdiotOnTourFan - "So much has happened since your last post, would love to hear some highlights! What's a typical day like?"

+ A typical day... generally most of us sleep in, then get some food. Maybe a trip to the gym for the muscle twins (Vince and Dan), and maybe a little exploring, more eating, often a lot of relaxing. We get to the theatre an hour before showtime (plus 15 mins for whoever is doing flight call) to warm up and get ready, do the show, then have dinner and sometimes go out for drinks.

@evan71788 - "can we get a video please?"

+ As a matter of fact, I'm working on one now, I'll put it up as soon as it's done :)

Well that was fun! I love answering questions you guys have so keep 'em coming. And I mean it this time, I will try to blog more often

I'm going ti see it in Dallas on May 12! :runaround::woot::dance: And it's the day after my last day of high school, too. I'd say it's a great way to end my school career. :cool:

I might going to be going to one of the three later dates in june in seattle :) all I have to do is work it off and have to do about $157.50 of the things I have to do :D its going to be a pain in the ass but its worth it. WHOOOO SEATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just left the Peabody an hour ago from after the musical.

It blew my mind! :runaround:

Edited by tabbycat1596

I'm sad. It was in State College and I didn't go. Mostly because the tickets were so expensive. :/ It just wasn't worth it too me.

I was surprised at the amount of really young kids at the musical. My friend and I saw at least three girls who HAD to be under the age of ten.

Also there were lots of grandma aged women there.

Guess Green day appeals to pretty much everyone!

Nice recap, Becky! Love your honest review. Interesting about Your take on the Rock N Roll boyfriend role....I only visualize Miguel in that role also! Tiny rock stars, haha.

Sorry your seats were less than good, but at least those were the freebies. Where do you sit tonight? By all means, recap any major differences from the show once you see it again!

Here goes! RECAP~ Minneapolis 2/26 both shows

These closing tickets are the ones that I saved up money especially to get. The matinee set I purchased through the Idiot Club, MF, Row S, Seats 3 & 4. The closing night set, I purchased through TicketMaster, MF, Row E, Seats 15 & 16. The IC tickets were less money around $10 less per ticket I think. Row S for matinee was a much better view than the free Row BB seats opening night! Row S was better in a way, than the Row E seats (closing night) even. Eh, I guess maybe it's a tie, because I could watch everything better being further away from the stage. But then Row E, they could see our faces, smile at us and make that connection here & there, which was great also.

The role of Johnny was played by Gabriel Antonacci for matinee AND closing night's performance on Sunday (It was Van's one day off that he gets to rest). There was a paper notice hung up under the sign in the lobby to let everyone know. He was good & animated but Van's voice is better.

Two of my peeves are that #1 Gabe messed up the lyrics at the beginning of Boulevard of Broken Dreams and #2 at both performances when he finds Whatsername in his bed, he didn't do the pause between 'shower' and 'again'. He said it like this "Oh my God. I forgot to take a shower again." It's so much funnier with the pause. But he is very enthusiastic, expressive & energetic. I giggled during both shows when he was begging St. Josh for the drugs, capping his hands together excitedly and then after receiving them, he makes a cape with his jacket and says the cutest lil "Wheeeee!" haha! I talked to him after the matinee and after the closing night show. When I said that the closing show was better, he said that matinee shows are the hardest for him. That he just wakes up then goes to do the show. It's more difficult for him to warm up and get into it right away like that.

Speaking of St. Josh, Joshua Kobak's St. Jimmy reminds me of an 80's glam hair band rocker; definitely he's channeling some Gene Simmons with that tongue! This time I was able to see his sparkles too. His "She's A Rebel" kicked it for me this time. =D

Joshua Kobak & Gabrielle McClinton (Whatsername) were my hubby's favorites. I liked Scott Campbell (Tunny). Scott's voice cracked a couple of times on "Are We The Waiting" but his "Before the Lobotomy" with the guys was ah, goosebumps! Loved Krystina Alabado's voice with Nicci’s on "Extraordinary Girl". It was fun to watch Larkin Bogan bang the timpani drums at the end of "Homecoming". He just looked like he was having so much fun doing it. And the cello! So much appreciation for the cellists we saw & heard at all 3 shows. It adds so much additional richness to the music and feeling of the show.

There was some sort of flying glitch with Extraordinary Girl (Nicci Claspell) at the matinee. She descended much later in the song and therefore her & Scott Campbell's (Tunny) aerial dance was short and the song silent for a while during the AhhAaahhh part. She left by way of the wings instead of shooting up into the air. It was interesting & somewhat awkward. I talked to Scott about it afterwards. He brought it up and said that isn't the way it usually is done and seemed super bummed about it, even apologized that it happened and said it was a timing error. I said it made the show all the more interesting to see something different and that I'm just glad that no one was hurt. I talked to Nicci about it in the evening and she said there was no danger. I was glad to hear that. She shrugged and said it happens sometimes.

At the closing night performance, one usher was a stickler about taking pictures of theater on our side of the theater. This was before curtain & my hubby took a pic with his phone of the beautiful architecture of box seats/balcony & tried to get one of the huge, beautiful chandelier. We did not take any photos during the show, as it is not allowed of course.

This same usher with her flashlight interrupted us & the people next to us during JOS because 3-4 people arrived late & she thought we were in their seats. We weren't. No one in our row was in the wrong seat. It was so rude & annoying. I feel if many arrive that late after curtain, I feel they should have sat where ever they would fit near where their tickets were for, there were enough seats on the aisle end where they were standing trying to figure it out. It's their fault for arriving late. Don't ruin the show for us who arrived in time for curtain. End rant. :P

The most interesting turn of events for closing night was that Leslie McDonel (Heather) was out, not feeling well.Jennifer Bowles was in as Heather. She was a cute Heather. It was a nice surprise so I did not mind the change. She was similar to Leslie's Heather in the sweetness of her voice and I didn't notice any mistakes. I liked her "Nobody likes you" better than Leslie's, if I compare the matinee to the closing night.

I sadly I didn't notice if they did anything special for Omar Lopez-Cepero's last performance with American Idiot. I believe he was in Gabe's track for both Sunday shows. In my video of the encores, he is up in the front row.

Overall between these two Sunday performances, closing night was best. The sound still had that lil' sharp bite to it. The energy was terrific for both shows.

Carmel Dean was the musical director for the matinee, yes, I eep-ed when I saw her rockin out her awesome outfit & XX Hi Converse over on the right side of the stage when the curtain went up! It was nice to see another familiar face that I saw on Broadway. Jared Stein was back for the closing night performance.

When talking to all the Idiots after all the shows, they were all so kind & gracious. So if any of them read this, I thank you! Some of them sort of walk slowly out the theater stage door & past several people standing around, as if waiting to be recognized. Haha, it’s so fun to watch. I knew all their names by Sunday, so I usually was the first to politely approach, say their name, thank them for the great show, chat a bit, they would sign my playbill &/or take a photo then later, I'd sent them off with best wishes for the rest of the tour. All were happy to say that they love Minneapolis. Many said that it is a great theater city & they were very impressed with the city. None of them minded the cold at all. :happy:

Oh, during both Sunday shows the audience suddenly sat down for the encores. We stood at the Tuesday opening show. I thought it was different. heh

Matinee Encore vid ~

Closing Night Encore vid ~

Also, tonight (well really last night) when we went, our tickets were randomly selected to be upgraded to Orchestra level seating. ( We were originally in the top balcony in row z :P) I absolutely loved my seats! No giants sat in front of me and we were close enough to see the spit flying out of Johnny's mouth while he was singing XD

I'm sad. It was in State College and I didn't go. Mostly because the tickets were so expensive. :/ It just wasn't worth it too me.

But it's so worth it! =/ Maybe you have the chance at another date?

But it's so worth it! =/ Maybe you have the chance at another date?

Well I hope. I probably would have gone but the only person that would go with me didn't want to spend the money. And it would have been very last minute. I do want to go though!

Well I hope. I probably would have gone but the only person that would go with me didn't want to spend the money. And it would have been very last minute. I do want to go though!

I hope it works for you the next time. :)

I'm really worrying about the prices for Costa Mesa.. I'd regret not seeing the musical so much. =/

I'm really worrying about the prices for Costa Mesa.. I'd regret not seeing the musical so much. =/

Probably they're going to have different prize categories. So there's still the option to take some seats that aren't that close to the stage but less expensive and you still have the chance to see it.