"American Idiot" Musical Tour

plaid ducky

UPDATE: yesterday (02/19/2012) I met all the main actors plus two ensemble members, got 8 autographs, and got pictures with Van, Gabrielle, and Joshua. DAY. IS. MADE! Wait, make that MONTH IS MADE! icon_biggrin.gif They were all so sweet and down-to-earth and seemed honored that I wanted to talk with them and get their picture! icon_biggrin.gif

UPDATE: yesterday (02/19/2012) I met all the main actors plus two ensemble members, got 8 autographs, and got pictures with Van, Gabrielle, and Joshua. DAY. IS. MADE! Wait, make that MONTH IS MADE! icon_biggrin.gif They were all so sweet and down-to-earth and seemed honored that I wanted to talk with them and get their picture! icon_biggrin.gif

You must have been standing quite close to us then. We were there yesterday too. Who are you and what do you look like? Dying to know if we talked or I just saw you! :)

You must have been standing quite close to us then. We were there yesterday too. Who are you and what do you look like? Dying to know if we talked or I just saw you! :)

Wow if only I had known you'd be there, I'd have said hi! I didn't talk to anyone except the actors... I was the first in the line (closest to the stage door.) I'm going to send you a private message with one of my photos from yesterday :)

• Like 1

Seeing it tonight, opening night in Minneapolis! Won a giveaway through the local radio station. So excited!

Also going on the 26th. Woot!

Well, Becky - what did you think? How did it compare to Broadway? (And yes, I know Green Day wasn't there to play a couple of songs at the end, you'll have to overlook that!! :lol:)

• Like 1

I went and saw the play opening night in Minneapolis and loved the shit out of it! Made me laugh, made me cry.. Loved it so much, I bought two more tickets when I got home and went with my mother the next night, and it was even better the second time around. Today, I finished framing the poster, playbook, and one of those little "Love Happend Here" flyers Whatsername throws during 'She's a Rebel' ( I snagged one off the stage when everyone was leaving ;P ). Just an amazing experience.

Edited by AaronTheAce
  • Like 1

I've been given 3 black ones, but I've seen the red ones and I see Van's green one floating around every once and a while. Why?

I've been given 3 black ones, but I've seen the red ones and I see Van's green one floating around every once and a while. Why?

I was just curious. Heh... I got a black one from Tommy and a green one from Leslie and I was just wondering what other colors were out there.

Well, Becky - what did you think? How did it compare to Broadway? (And yes, I know Green Day wasn't there to play a couple of songs at the end, you'll have to overlook that!! :lol:)

Haha, Dorie! Right-O! Too bad that has to be overlooked. :D

Recap, Review, Impressions, Comparisons below... It's longish, I tried to find how to do the spoiler, but couldn't figure it out.

I wasn't planning on going to this show on opening night, but I was somehow secretly hoping to. Then across my twitter comes a tweet from the local radio station. So I asked & with the help from a friend who made a gracious plea for me, I was given $80 tix for the near the back of the theater [MF1 , Row BB, Seats 11 & 12].

I had last seen American Idiot on Broadway in NYC on April 22, 2010 so it was going to be almost like new to me again. My hubby & I arrived in Minneapolis at around 5:30 pm. We killed some time taking some photos under the Orpheum's marquee and walking down Hennepin Ave a bit. We ran into Van Hughes on the way. I said "Hi Van!" He look surprised like if he should know me and mouthed Hi! He was on his phone walking to the theater. Haha!

On the way back to the Orpheum, we ran into friends who had just arrived! After some more photos, we all walked a few blocks to have dinner & talk a few blocks away. It was freakin cold & windy out! Real nice that winter decided to come again on this day, not. But it was so wonderful to have some other enthusiastic friends (one a GD fan, fellow freak) to share the experience with, more than made up for the freezing cold.

When we went back to pick up our tickets from Will Call , we noticed they had opened the doors early for all the people in line for Student Rush. But it was not too crowded though and we picked up our tickets easily. We talked & waited in the beautiful lobby of the theater. Then they opened the theater doors and that's when I realized we were sitting further away than when I saw it on Broadway. I did luck out that I only had one head to look around instead of two; a kid had come to the show with two adults. But the one adult's head blocked my view of Will & his couch.

Finally the lights started to dim and then the great red curtain rose to the familiar noise that the media of so many televisions can make and then into the heart stopping, slamming chords of American Idiot.

In my opinion as far as stage, lighting and sound, it wasn't as spectacular as when it was on Broadway. Being a visual person, I missed all the extras. Especially the handbills & posters plastered all over the walls. The walls are mostly black; there is some posters, lots of screens, some lights etc. on the walls. The couch looked smaller too. No rising platform, as others have said.

The sound bugged me at times. It cut out or was static-y at times. There was a sharpness to it that almost hurt the ears. This all maybe because it was the first night and maybe they are still tweaking it.

But the cast is as talented and energetic as the Broadway cast. Van Hughes was a great Johnny from where I was (wished I was closer), Van’s and John Gallagher Jr.'s Johnny was similar. He was a little less a goofy doofus but sang very well. I thought when he took the pauses, that he paused just a little too long a few times. I noticed some of the audience start to look at each other like maybe he forgot his line or something.

Jake Epstein's Will left me wanting Michael Esper but then I couldn't see him very well without looking around the head in front of me. He just did not shine for me.

Scott Campbell's Tunny was terrific!

Leslie McDonel's Heather, I loved, her voice is beautiful.

Nicci Claspell's Extraordinary Girl was not equal to Christina Sajous' voice for certain. But her aerial dance with Scott's Tunny even brought out a compliment from my hubby.

Gabrielle McClinton's Whatsername was good. I thought she would have a hard time convincing me, but she brought on the fierce in my favorite, Letterbomb! Rebecca Naomi Jones is still my favorite Whatsername.

Another favorite part is Too Much Too Soon and Talia Aaron's "Yeahyeaaah" at the end. Talia's was impressive but Alysha is still queen.

Favorite Son, Jarran Muse, was as enjoyable as Joshua Henry.

There were a few times I noticed some slight off pitch and/or scratchiness in a couple of voices. I think it was Jake a few times, Scott and Nicci once but don't quote me on that, I am no expert. The weather turned sharply colder here when they arrived so I wouldn't be surprised if that also affected their voices as much as they have been using their voices, traveling etc.

Once again, as when I saw it on Broadway, I felt the sting of tears in my eyes when Will had to stay home. A couple of tears rolled later when Tunny decided to become a soldier & go off to war, that didn't happen when I saw it on Broadway.

The audience responded very well. They laughed, applauded & wooted at the right times.

I did not hear any noise at all from Joshua Kobak's St. Jimmy before his entrance, I felt the buildup myself for it, but didn't feel it in the audience. Out of all the songs he sang, Homecoming sounded the best to me. He is similar to St. Tony in sound but Tony was much better in my opinion.

Some very rude people at the very back of the theater caused a loud commotion at the beginning of 21 Guns. I have no idea what it was about but there was cursing & they were "shhhh-ed" 3 times.

What bothered me most was Rock n' Roll boyfriend, Okieriete Onaodowan. He is very large and the clothes didn't look like they fit. He was like a combo of the Incredible Hulk & Michael Jackson, so he didn't fit my idea of Rock n' Roll boyfriend. I guess I'm so used to my rock star being tiny. hehehe :eyebrows:

But this bit aside. I absolutely loved the show and was carried away by the music & characters. Consider my face melted. Now everyone go see it!

I met most of the cast afterwards as they were on their way to the after party at Cosmos a few blocks away. They were all very gracious & kind. They signed my playbill & took a few photos with me. I was sad to have missed Kelvin because I quite enjoy his tweeting & blog. But I also missed Scott Campbell & Omar Lopez-Cepero (I know it's Omar's last week with this tour). Maybe I'll see them on Sunday, closing night, when we go to the matinee & evening performance. Oh, Gabriel Antonacci asked me which show was I seeing on Sunday & told me he was going to be Johnny, but I don't remember which performance. Smart ass, Matt DeAngelis teased by saying I was wasting my money seeing Gabe on Sunday. Ha! Larkin Bogan was Johnny last night (Feb 23). I would have liked to have seen that.

Should write up another recap after Sunday?

EDIT Oh, my blurry vid of the encore. It didn't focus quick enough, but the audio is alright. I need a new camera. sigh~

• Like 1

They're having open calls for the non-equity tour. The calls will be held in LA on March 13th and NYC on March 25th.

http://www.playbill.com/jobs/find/job_detail/42643.html

Seeking Male and Female Non-Equity Rock Singers for the upcoming American Idiot Tour.

LOS ANGELES OPEN CALL:

Date: Tuesday, March 13th 2012

Time: Sign up starting at 9am

Bring a recent picture and resume and prepare a short rock song. Bring sheet music. Piano accompanist provided. Men who play the guitar should bring one and accompany themselves.

For additional important information about the L.A.auditions please call:

212-719-9393 x360

NEW YORK OPEN CALL:

Date: Sunday, March 25th 2012

Time: Sign up starting at 10am

Bring a recent picture and resume and prepare a short rock song. Bring sheet music. Piano accompanist provided. Men who play the guitar should bring one and accompany themselves.

For additional important information about the N.Y. auditions please call:

212-719-9393 x540

I want to see American Idiot again so badly! Can't stop thinking of it all this week! :cry:

After seeing it life has seemed so dull. The buildup before was excited and the musical itself was incredible. Not having that excitement in my life anymore is a major bummer.

I saw this too -- What exactly is the 'non-equity tour'? Is there going to be something different from the current touring musical?

I mentioned it twice before in this thread... You can go back a couple of pages for a more detailed explanation.

The current tour cast is equity or union. This cast will end their run in July.

This upcoming tour cast is non-equity or non-union. No one from the current cast will be in the non-equity tour.

After seeing it life has seemed so dull. The buildup before was excited and the musical itself was incredible. Not having that excitement in my life anymore is a major bummer.

I know! I wish they could come back to Chicago for another 2 weeks! Miss them so much! :(

I'm seeing the show in St. Louis, Sunday Matinee. I'm super excited! I was wondering if anyone knew of any upcoming cast call-outs (I think sometimes they schedule an understudy to go on), or any sites that I can follow to keep track of any cast changes. I'm looking forward to seeing Jake Epstein as Will, and I'll be really disappointed if he isn't there Sunday afternoon.

Edited by nolegrl

I'm seeing the show in St. Louis, Sunday Matinee. I'm super excited! I was wondering if anyone knew of any upcoming cast call-outs (I think sometimes they schedule an understudy to go on), or any sites that I can follow to keep track of any cast changes. I'm looking forward to seeing Jake Epstein as Will, and I'll be really disappointed if he isn't there Sunday afternoon.

As far as Jake is concerned, unless he's sick or injured, he'll be in. The only person who might be out for that show is Van since he's usually out one show a week.

The best bet is follow him or Matt or Kelvin on Twitter. They'll probably say something since Matt & Kelvin are Jake's understudies.

Nice recap, Becky! Love your honest review. Interesting about Your take on the Rock N Roll boyfriend role....I only visualize Miguel in that role also! Tiny rock stars, haha.

Sorry your seats were less than good, but at least those were the freebies. Where do you sit tonight? By all means, recap any major differences from the show once you see it again!

• Like 1

Nice recap, Becky! Love your honest review. Interesting about Your take on the Rock N Roll boyfriend role....I only visualize Miguel in that role also! Tiny rock stars, haha.

And on Broadway, Gerard was a Rock & Roll BF understudy, so another tiny rock star. :bunny:

That said, Declan was the other Rock & Roll BF understudy... so that was kinda strange... :D

• Like 1

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's an interview/Q&A with Jake Epstein (Will) about opening night in Minneapolis and other things related to AI. :)

(Btw, that picture they included is huge, you could make a poster out of it. lol)