"American Idiot" Musical Tour

plaid ducky

As previously stated, I'll be at the January 22 showing - the final showing for Detroit.

I'm trying so hard to sell my tickets for the 20th and go to this show instead. gahh.

I'm trying so hard to sell my tickets for the 20th and go to this show instead. gahh.

I regret not trying to organize a meetup for the final Detroit show. My wife and I will be in attendance. Perhaps I'll come up with some way of getting in touch with me, for those who want to meet up and talk about Green Day and junk and stuff.

new blog from Nicci

Don't Wanna Be A Canadian Idiot

It's nights like these, when I can't get to sleep and there's no boyfriend to talk to, that I should be blogging or reading the next book in The Hunger Games series. After a day like today, I think the former is the way to go, hopefully I'll get a little of the latter in too...

As scheduled, Gabe was to go on for the role of Johnny tonight so we had a put-in rehearsal in the afternoon to make sure all would go smoothly during the show. We had a couple boys out because of relatively minor-ish injuries, so both of our boy swings were put into the show. It was a bit of a whirlwind because one of the boys disappeared with his injury just as we were finishing notes, so we did the run through while spacing a fixing and figuring out tracks at the same time.

Then... just before the show started, before I was hooked into the chains that take me up for upside down girl, we get word that the rig isn't doing what we'd like it to do. Something about the power source in Toronto is different than how we had teched it in Utica, so we said 'better safe than sorry' and cut it. The great part about that is that I got to do the first number without a harness on! It felt glorious. A little weird to run on stage with the rest of the girls, but I had no idea what fun I was missing backstage while I was hanging out (literally) waiting for them.

We had an ever so quick discussion right before the curtain came up about the possibility of the fly rig not being ready. We were told that they were confident that the issue would be sorted out within the next 35 minutes, but in the off chance that it wasn't we were to basically walk the number. At some point one of the stage managers found some old non-fly contingency plan for bway (that was never put into use because FOY always works) so I got a chance to glance at it for a few seconds here and there during my numerous quick changes. Luckily, our team is so amazing that the rig was unquestionably fixed and we could fly Extraordinary Girl like nothing ever happened.

If I had ever doubted it (and I haven't), I know by what happened today that I am a part of something incredible. So much credit goes to the entire cast who tweaked things here and there to fill in spacing, vocals, and movement, but mostly to Vince and Tommy who combined did the work of three men tonight with only a scant rehearsal this afternoon. Gabe was an incredible Johnny, and we were all so excited to be doing Canadian Idiot for the first time!

What a day. With today's put-in rehearsal, I'd call this a nine and a half show week. I'm not sure that I've ever done more than five shows in one week before this, so it will be quite the personal accomplishment when we get to Sunday night! And then it all starts again on Tuesday...

• Like 1

You don't want to meet up with me and all the other GDCers going on the 20th? :(

You know you want to, because we're so cool :lol:

You don't want to meet up with me and all the other GDCers going on the 20th? :(

You know you want to, because we're so cool :lol:

Ha I know I really do!

But I have a hockey game that night too... and I think my coach is really pissed that I said I wasn't going.

But we will see. If nobody buys my tickets, then I'll still be there :)

Here's me and Billie Joe*.

*actually that's Larkin.

Awwww, you're too cute together :lol:

I'm sure I've seen you somewhere, maybe on Broadway last spring?

Awwww, you're too cute together :lol:

I'm sure I've seen you somewhere, maybe on Broadway last spring?

possibly - I was there in Feb last year for St Billie.

really looking forward to the 20th in the D. anyone going there is a meetup thread. Wouldve loved to go the last night but.. hubbys work would not allow. Friday night in downtown detroit yo!

Aska and I are going back to the closing show On Sunday. I bawled my eyes out the first time seeing it in Toronto, and I'm sure it'll be the same case again. I don't want it to leave :'(

New Kelvin blog:

http://asianamericanidiot.blogspot.com/2012/01/day-51-i-take-all-kinds-even-your.html?spref=tw

DAY 51: I Take All Kinds, Even Your Racist Bullshit

In my history of doing theater and performing music, I don't mind reading reviews: Good or Bad. It's the nature of the business and frankly, what I do onstage will not change. My job is to serve the creatives and my personal art; not that of any critic. I think everyone has a right to their opinions.... EXCEPT when they write things that are unnecessarily hateful (aware or unaware).

Here is the review in question:

Green Day’s American Idiot Toronto Production Intelligent-enough idiocy, until Jan. 15.

I was in my dressing room today when it was brought to my attention: "Hey, have you read the review where they call you a token."

From the review by Mr. Kerry Doole, "It’s hard to fault the dancing or singing of any of the cast, though for a bunch of punks everybody was a mite too freshly scrubbed and wholesome-looking. The actual dance routines could have done with more pogoing, moshing or slam-dancing to be punk-credible, while the inclusion of Asian and black actors seemed a little token."

It is certainly hard to fault the cast for their performances (wouldn't have minded if he did). Instead, it is much easier to fault the creatives for assembling a diverse cast of actors in 2012.

"...while the inclusion of Asian and black actors seemed a little token"

Upon further discussion with my castmates, we have decided that the meaning of this quote is to imply one or many of the following:

-In a suburban USA and later urban NYC, there are no Asian or black people.

-The punk revolution is a whites only counter culture.

-Actors of color are only cast, not based on merit or talent, but to fulfill some unspoken professional quota of minority performers. Broadway's own Affirmative Action plan, if you'll have it.

I would list that I have followed the punk culture pretty much my entire Asian life. I would list that Long Island is as suburban as it gets and I call it home (where I was one of a few but still many Asian teenagers in my town. Oh yea, I'm pretty confident that black people also live on Long Island). I would list the ever growing list of bands emerging out of the Asian hardcore punk scene developing worldwide. I would list that if Broadway Affirmative Action were actually real, I would be a much happier, and richer actor today.

Alas, Mr. Doole.... I need not list anything to demonstrate how blatantly ignorant your self-posturing comments have come off.

We have been so well-received in Canada with positive reviews and wonderful audiences. I expect along the way we'll receive similar reviews to Mr. Doole's and that will be fine with me because it's much easier to write a scathing review than to do a "squeaky-clean theatre" piece like American Idiot.

But Mr. Doole.... he is a self-proclaimed "lover of first generation punk" and wishes that American Idiot would more embody the true spirit of punk. Among his astute observations, he suggests that, "surely it wouldn’t have hurt the bassist to trim his long locks, in the spirit of the show." Just like one of the undeniable patriarchs of punk, the well-groomed, hair-trimmed Ramones:

the-ramones.jpg

Oh wait.....

Fun Facts:

1. The Ramones hail from Forest Hills, Queens.... aka The Land of No Asians (ahem. cough, cough).

2. Without "tokens" in the American Idiot family we would have to find the all white counterparts for-- Krystina Alabado, Nicci Claspell, Justin Guarini, Rebecca Naomi Jones, Gabrielle McClinton, Jarran Muse, Corbin Reid, Wallace Smith, Okieriete Onaodowan, Josh Henry, Christina Sajous--- among many others to represent Mr. Doole's narrow view of the punk demographic.

3. The term "token" traditionally refers to ONE of any category being represented. The tour currently has three "token" black actors appearing at the same time from Principal to Ensemble characters.

4. If I were hired as any "token" perhaps "token gay". And who has every heard of gay punk rock besides the virtually unknown Pansy Division ?!?! (again, ahem. cough, cough).

---------

asian idiot pride!

• Like 1

Aska and I are going back to the closing show On Sunday. I bawled my eyes out the first time seeing it in Toronto, and I'm sure it'll be the same case again. I don't want it to leave :'(

you mean in detroit?? i cant go sunday.. shit. ps.. the auto show is in town too.. i may try to go saturday.. who knows

you mean in detroit?? i cant go sunday.. shit. ps.. the auto show is in town too.. i may try to go saturday.. who knows

No, in Toronto on the 15th.

ahh i see... i hope you can!!!!! have a blast!!

Hope we can what...go to Detroit, or the final show in Toronto? Because we're definitely going back to Toronto. And definitely not going to Detroit, sorry :(

Hope we can what...go to Detroit, or the final show in Toronto? Because we're definitely going back to Toronto. And definitely not going to Detroit, sorry :(

yeah i meant toronto.. glad you are!!!!

Greetings Canadians. I have one ticket available to the closing show in Toronto on Sunday, January 15th 2pm. Right orchestra, front row, aisle seat. You get to sit with a friend of mine (a fellow hardcore Green Day fan). Ticket cost is $125, a $10 discount. I need to get rid of this badly, so if you want to attend the show please snatch this bad boy up! Aska and I will be there, so I'll be able to exchange the ticket for the cash right at the theater.

If you already have a ticket and are already planning to attend, see you then! Spread the word. Thanks :happy: