"American Idiot" Musical Tour

plaid ducky

I've got a question. Is it true that tickets for Costa Mesa start going on sale on April 22nd next year? (http://www.scfta.org/home/Events/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1143)

Because this seems a bit late to me, considering that tickets for shows that will take place later are already on sale. I just don't want to miss out on anything ;)

We're in the dress circle for the last show! We have to meet up!

I better meet you guys too! I just hope the tickets for the closing show won't be sold out in 2 weeks when I get my lovely holiday check!

new kelvin blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 22: Small Gusts Turned Tornado

Ready to hit a town near you.

It's been the craziest week of finalizing everything in NYC. Everyday has been more jam packed than the last. Currently stealing wifi from the tour bus (no, we will be flying the rest of the way) towards Utica to tech tech tech. Long days ahead but thankfully with the most entertaining cast.

More photos to come, but some highlights from this week:

-Run-through for our friends and family. xoxo, Trish Paul Chris Nikki

-The Broadway cast comes and see our final studio run. And I was reduced to the biggest fan boy once again (I have the biggest crush on.... shhhhhh). There is a photo somewhere that I'll post as soon as I get my hands on it!

-A visit from playbill.com <a href="http://playbill.com/multimedia/gallery/3398" target="_blank">Exclusive Rehearsal Photos

-Invitation to a private screening of Michael Mayer's SMASH

-Sitz Probe with the most badass live band.

Final night in NYC was emotional as I got the sweetest send off with my favorite New Yorkers. Hitting the road, I wish myself and the company: Safe Travels, Healthy Minds and Body, Well-Deserved Bruises, and Many Proud People left at home.

See you when I return home when "I've got lies to tell!"

photo%25281%2529.JPG So much free booze and Kat McPhee.

photo.JPG Somebody here no likey 7am Travel Days.

I better meet you guys too! I just hope the tickets for the closing show won't be sold out in 2 weeks when I get my lovely holiday check!

Especially since we were such a fail at Lolla! This has to happen!!

• Like 2

new blog from Kelvin

Day 25: Hurry Up and Wait! (#UticaRocks)

Okay, this year I'm not waiting around for someone to fly in a helicopter... Instead, we have flying gypsies, bomb explosions, couple dozen tv screens, shopping carts, cellist on staircases, and of course "Penelope" our scaffold bus.

TECH!!! For the non-theater folks, this is the week that we finally get to put everything together for the first time. A hundred people running around with very specific jobs to do and trying to make the cogs of the American Idiot machine work without a hitch.

So what does that mean for me as an actor?

1. I sign in. Let people know I'm here (and ready to WERK!)

2. Wait in my dressing room in my cozy new robe (wait til I get my hands on a bedazzler).

3. Get called to stage, put on a costume and get to my place (-ish).

4. A lot happens around me. Lights, sound, set, people. I wait.

5. I wait some more.

6. And then some more.

7. Look around the theater (sigh...). I wonder, "is this my life?"

8. Try on some costumes, get my hair did, y'know.

9. We do a couple little dances, sing a couple songs.

10. Rinse. Repeat.

The professional theater is no joke. The amount of time it takes to mount a show is countless. Especially with the technical demands of American Idiot, I am glad to work with a bunch of freakin' geniuses. It is unbelievably worth it in the end. I cannot wait for our first audience in 4 days! Utica, get ready to have your minds friggin' blow. POW!

photo%25283%2529.JPG Our First Stop! Utica, NY!!!

photo%25285%2529.JPG This chandelier is the size of the entire mezzanine. Huge and spider-like. photo%25284%2529.JPGMakes it official? I'm traveling with American Idiot! Want one?!?!

photo%25282%2529.JPG Will understudy outfit!!!

Photo+9.jpg

new blog From Nicci

Ok kids, we are deep deep into tech rehearsals. We've been at it since the 15th and it looks like we'll finish the show before dinner tomorrow! Tech is always a tedious process, but every second is filled with something important. Being on the set now, we have to make sure all of our spacing works, tweak some staging, set the lights and sound, and of course practice flying. About that...

Yesterday was the first time we did Extraordinary Girl since way back in Charleston a month ago. I got to practice upside down girl on the first day but I really wasn't in the harness for that long. Yesterday on the other hand, I was in it for a while before dinner and for about 5 hours after dinner. I'd say I'm generally pretty tough but it got to the point where I almost wanted to cry. We had to practice taking the gurneys out for lobotomy and then run through the quickest change of my life all time into Extraordinary Girl. So here's the deal - I have to go from my army fatigues into my I-Dream-Of-Jeannie-esque costume (plus harness and burqa) and be ready to descend from the top of center stage in less than one minute. Luckily I have a team of dressers waiting in the wings to help me.

IMAG0177.jpg

Remember those abs I wanted? They're getting there!

The actual sequence is going great though. Seems most if not all of our muscle memory has been retained. It really does feel awesome to be up there - somehow once the flying starts, I forget all about the pain I'm in. And fortunately we'll only have to be doing that once or twice a day for the shows. We started with the flying again today and we'll have a fly call every day for shows, but the hardest stuff is over. If we're lucky, we'll get a full run through in by the end of the day tomorrow!

It our very little bit of down time we've been discovering what Utica has to offer. Which is to say, we've been to Rite Aid a few times, and have made friends with the bartender at the hotel. There's a really great restaurant next to the gorgeous theater we're teching in, and that's about it! But we've been making our own fun. Tonight it was our music directors birthday so the company manager drove 25 miles to get vegan cupcakes and the cast and crew hung out in the hotel lobby. The bar and restaurant were closed but some people brought drinks and others brought more food. There was gambling (by way of a $3 buy-in dice game), eating, drinking, even some cross dressing, and tons of laughs. I couldn't ask for a better group of people to be spending my time with while away from home.

It's way past my bed time. I'll leave you with this cryptic bit of information: There are no blonde girls in the cast. Yet.

So soon until TO :D

And they're announcing their twitter competition winners tomorrow. SQUEE I entered so many times!

So soon until TO :D

And they're announcing their twitter competition winners tomorrow. SQUEE I entered so many times!

I forgot to thank you for spamming up my timeline! :P

I forgot to thank you for spamming up my timeline! :P

yeah I honestly feel bad for the people that follow me =/

I'm gonna go back and delete all those posts after it's announced.

yeah I honestly feel bad for the people that follow me =/

I'm gonna go back and delete all those posts after it's announced.

I kept wondering why the heck you kept tweeting that! At least now I know. :P

new blog from Kelvin

Day 30: Some Get a Kick from Cocaine

I get my kicks from our first audience. I suppose you never forget your first.

By the end of "Whatshername", we leave whatever energy we have left right there on the stage, but I snuck a peek into the front row- those faces... I was suddenly recharged. Broken hearts, joyful hearts, angry hearts, laughing hearts: But all were OPEN Hearts. I am so thankful to be able the share the theater with THEM!

If I never got a chance to walk on another stage again, last night would have been enough.

Fortunately this is my life for the next 6 months. I think with a show like American Idiot, it is easy to think of it as a spectacle; just another rock show. It is part of my responsibility to never allow that to happen.

Is the show gorgeous to look at? YES

Are there some fierce rock singers? YES

Is this just another musical? HELL NO.

I hope you all already know how special this theatrical experience is. The best part of my job is that there is always something new happening onstage. Not one performance looks like the last. And with that, not one audience is the ever the same. Even for those who've seen the show a hundred times- every day you get something FRESH- well, that is my personal challenge and I know it is a sentiment shared by this spirited cast.

My lesson from the show this week:

Where there is light, there is darkness. Where there is darkness, there is also light. Neither one can exist without the other. (Appropriate for tech right?)

But what that means to me- Absolutes don't exist. When you step into a room, you can feel the energy of where everything and everyone is at. It is most times obvious and palpable. I challenge myself daily to discover what is "deeper"; what is beneath it all; what is being said without being said. There is often where the beauty lies.

My twitter challenge for those who read this (tweet it at me @kelvinmoonloh) :

How does American Idiot speak to you?

Hashtag it #IHeartIdiot

image%25281%2529.jpeg It's cold here in Utica! Good thing I found this awesome new glove!

image.jpeg Utica Preview Playbill!

• Like 1

Yes!! I would love to meet up with you again!! :D

posted this in the wrong place; I just got my tickets through (I'm in the stalls), the one on Thurday is B13 the one of Friday is C4!

There's still a shit ton of tickets left for closing night :D

Are you going to get tickets for closing night? :woot:

Does anyone know when the tickets for the San Francisco shows will go on sale? :)

Thanks!

turns out I will actually be flying out to one of those shows. So I second this question :D

Are you going to get tickets for closing night? :woot:

Isn't the closing show actually at 2pm? I didn't see tickets for a 7pm show. Did I miss something?