The Trilogy Albums

Undómiel

I'm not fussed about what its about so long as its sooner rather than later XD

Nah I'm kidding, it'd seem like such a waste not to hear the sings from the surprise shows though

Exactly! It would be a crime against music to waste them. They teased us by playing them to a handful of people at those shows so I'm gonna have quite a hard time forgiving them if they never put them out lol. My fingers are firmly crossed for them.

They better not make American Idiot Part 3.

Yeah, I'm a little tired of rock operas...I like their new style, it seems like a mixture between Warning and Foxboro, imo.

I will be disappointed if it's another album like AI and 21CB. Rock operas are awesome, but for a band that doesn't like to revisit or live it the past - I didn't expect another rock opera from them after AI.

They better not make American Idiot Part 3. I liked the last two albums, but the idea of conceptional type albums is getting a little old. I would love for them to be spontaneous like they were with the Hot Tubs.

To be honest, I think Green Day's affinity for concept albums actually pre-dates American Idiot. I can't trace this as far back as their earliest days with Lookout!, but if you think about it, at least some of what they've done since Kerplunk has had a unifying theme that may fit at least one definition of what a concept album is. Not a loose plot like AI/21stCB has, but rather a focus on one or more subjects/topics that you see approached or restated in different ways across several different songs on the same album. For example, most of the songs on Dookie! focus on adolescent and post-adolescent angst and boredom. On Insomniac, we find rage, anxiety, panic, and all the shit that keeps you up at night as you wrestle with life in your post-teen years. The best thread of an overall "theme" I've been able to find on Nimrod is addiction, and I'm still looking for one in Warning. American Idiot was the first of these theme-oriented albums that takes a "Tommy"-like approach, focusing that theme in named characters and a plot that's relatively easy to follow from song to song. 21stCB also has identifiable characters and a plot, of course, but one that's more "artsy" and not quite as crisp as American Idiot's. My point is that Green Day has been at least in "theme" mode if not full-blown concept album mode for a long time now, and they're actually quite good at it. If they want to do another one, I'm game.

I would like to see something in the vein of 'Dark Side of Night' on the next album.

The best thread of an overall "theme" I've been able to find on Nimrod is addiction, and I'm still looking for one in Warning.

I would say that the underlying themes on Warning seems to be domestic/social issues. Some of the songs that sort of deal with domestic issues are Blood, Sex, and Booze; Church on Sunday; and Deadbeat Holiday. The songs that deal with more of social issues are Warning, Fashion Victim, and Minority. Macy's Day Parade, on the other hand, seems to be a combination of both.

As for most of their albums having a concept behind them, I agree. I think that the songs on 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours even seem to have the theme of being that they are about a lot of issues that teenagers come across. For example, those issues are young love, being accepted, and looking back at the good times they've had so far..

So if Green Day's new album is a "concept" album, I won't mind in the least bit. First of all, I mean come on, it's a new Green Day album, but second of all, if it is a concept album, how is that any different from what they've always done? :happy:

I'm still a strong believer that it's going to be out around September this year :D I believe it was Billie that said something like "we're not going to have as big of a gap between 21st CB and the next album" and it was almost 5 years between AI and 21st CB. It's going on 3 years May 15th since 21st CB was released, so I doubt they're going to go make us wait much longer than September :)

I'm not too surprised if the albums start spreading out more time frame wise considering they're getting bigger and bigger with higher demands. Assuming they spend a good 1-2 years doing tours, I wouldn't be surprised if the albums started coming out every 3 years.

i know this isn't about the album, but apparently they're playing Summer Sonic in Japan this summer http://www.summersonic.com/2012/ :woot: the album should be near!!

I wouldn't trust that tbh. Wait and see if we here it from the band but until then chances are it isn't true.

I wouldn't trust that tbh. Wait and see if we here it from the band but until then chances are it isn't true.

Why wouldn't you trust that? I don't know if it is, but it looks like an official site to me.

We're getting a shitload more festival rumors than usual. I really feel that shit is going down, and the album will probably be out early Fall/Late Summer.

stop being so negative xD seriously, that seems to be an official site, yes. i dont think a big festival would write that if it wasn't true

I did a Google translation of the homepage and this is what it says in Japanese (if anyone speaks Japanese here, please do a human translation!)

"But on this day of February 10 was set to announce early Fuji with impatience, I received the OK from GREEN DAY yesterday in-law!"

"Kenzan is Rihanna's first live band to Green Day's new album might be waiting for the world's premier, became the world's icon in the top list and no longer Gaga."

Edit: I checked and that is the official Summer Sonic website!!!! It should be true then!?

I'm trying not to ASSume too much based on this. They did do this festival in 2006, and no album came out...

OK, now with the Summer Sonic festival confirmed, I think a late 2012 album is to be expected - especially if they play new material

That's the main reason why I'm excited for this festival - they wouldn't be doing such a big show if they didn't have new material ready to be heard!

I think the album must be pretty close. Surely they're not going to headline festivals without a) new material and b) something to sell afterwards. Just to be really cynical but their label is going to want monetary return on the massive exposure of playing festivals.... =/

OK, now with the Summer Sonic festival confirmed, I think a late 2012 album is to be expected - especially if they play new material

/Agree! :woot:

stop being so negative xD seriously, that seems to be an official site, yes. i dont think a big festival would write that if it wasn't true

It did me no harm to wait a few hours for confirmation :P:D

That's the main reason why I'm excited for this festival - they wouldn't be doing such a big show if they didn't have new material ready to be heard!

I wonder if it's a little bit scary for them to confirm festivals before they've actually recorded the album, but maybe assuming/setting a deadline for themselves that they WILL have the album done by then? I guess that would mean they are really confident that they're ready to record?

I wonder, when was American Idiot finished recording? After they confirmed to do those late summer festivals?

I wonder if it's a little bit scary for them to confirm festivals before they've actually recorded the album, but maybe assuming/setting a deadline for themselves that they WILL have the album done by then? I guess that would mean they are really confident that they're ready to record?

I wonder, when was American Idiot finished recording? After they confirmed to do those late summer festivals?

By taking a search online, American Idiot was finished in March 26, 2004 (by Wikipedia) and Reading lineup, for example, was announced basically on the same week

http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php/60702-Leeds-Reading-line-up-announced!(not sure if it's right)

So I guess we could keep our hopes.

I expect it about a year from now. They certainly seem to have the songs worked out, so all that's left is recording. They can release it next fall, tour through the fall, winter and into spring and then take a break near the beginning of summer. With one of his kid's graduating high school, I really doubt Billie will want to be in the thick of promoting a new album.

I'm sticking by this prediction.

By taking a search online, American Idiot was finished in March 26, 2004 (by Wikipedia) and Reading lineup, for example, was announced basically on the same week

http://www.footballf...e-up-announced!(not sure if it's right)

So I guess we could keep our hopes.

Inneeresting. That keeps me wondering though, because they were very much further along (or practically finished with) American Idiot than they are with their new album.

I'm with you on this.

yeah i think that is going to happen. it'd be great if they toured in 2012 as well as festivals but i think it'll be late 2012 before the album comes out.

Inneeresting. That keeps me wondering though, because they were very much further along (or practically finished with) American Idiot than they are with their new album.

How do you know?

Archived