Billie Joe to play St. Jimmy in the musical

Fuzz

Why is it that every video on youtube is just Good Riddance, why couldn't they record another song like St. Jimmy or Homecoming.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a hassle to get stuff filmed and released officially, there's so many unions to get permission from, so many people to compensate, it's really a logistical nightmare for something that most likely won't turn a profit. Still, I'm kinda surprised MTV hasn't tried to film it, though, since they did that behind-the-scenes thing for AI, and have experience filming Broadway, they did Legally Blonde a year or two ago.

Why is it that every video on youtube is just Good Riddance, why couldn't they record another song like St. Jimmy or Homecoming.

Because the rest of the show is under copyright and you can't record it. Good Riddance is the curtain call, officially not a part of the show, and since they're allowed to put up the track for download, I'm guessing they have some kind of provision with the unions that allow one to record it. Thus they didn't stop people from filming/taking pics.

I feel like it would have been so much harder to get away with filming discretely during any of those parts except Good Riddance, although I am dissapointed.

It's a hassle to get stuff filmed and released officially, there's so many unions to get permission from, so many people to compensate, it's really a logistical nightmare for something that most likely won't turn a profit. Still, I'm kinda surprised MTV hasn't tried to film it, though, since they did that behind-the-scenes thing for AI, and have experience filming Broadway, they did Legally Blonde a year or two ago.

Because the rest of the show is under copyright and you can't record it. Good Riddance is the curtain call, officially not a part of the show, and since they're allowed to put up the track for download, I'm guessing they have some kind of provision with the unions that allow one to record it. Thus they didn't stop people from filming/taking pics.

Theatre unions are hardcore too. Especially the ones that run broadway. True story.

just took me about 90 min to get through the thread from the last time I was on (this afternoon) :lol:

but so worth it to see those pics and vids!!

omfg, I CANNOT WAIT until Friday!!! :dance:

also I think it's so awesome he went through the madness and signed some autographs :wub:

Is it wrong that to me Billie Joe tasted like lemon pie?

He tasted like beer and sweat to me, but whatever you say!

FUCKIWANTSOMELEMONPIENOW.

Heh... do you know how much they would have to edit for MTV? Even a considerably tame show like "Legally Blonde" had to do script and lyric changes for the MTV broadcast. They would butcher "American Idiot" so much... :ermm:

Video of Homecoming

I'm so tempted to watch that right now but at the same time I don't want to spoil it for myself tomorrow.

Watching that video was awesome, thanks for the link : )

As someone who's seen the musical and loves the cast version, I'll admit it's weird watching Billie in that role. I like it, though to be honest if I was only gonna see the show once I'm glad I saw Tony in the role. I'd be very curious to see this 'funnier' 'gutter punk' Jimmy though, just for contrast. Hopefully more videos appear as the week goes on

This rumor of an AI tour is good news though I won't fully believe it till I see it

I'm proud to say that I just got back from watching Billie Joe's big Broadway debut as St. Jimmy! My girlfriend managed to surprise me with tickets and we sat in the lower mezzanine which offered a perfect view of the show. This was my second time seeing the show. When he first came out during St. Jimmy, the audience went wild and after the song, there was a long standing ovation and you could feel the energy building in the room. It's weird, at first he didn't sound like himself. It's almost like he was channeling the voice of St. Jimmy. I was actually quite surprised to see how natural and comfortable Billie Joe was on a Broadway stage. He sang, "danced" and played the part perfectly. It was really funny watching him push drugs on John Gallagher! At one point, after receiving drugs from Billie, John looked at him and started to laugh. This is part of the role since he's supposed to be high but the laughter seemed a bit more genuine and people applauded, believing that John broke character. Whether or not he did, I'm not sure but it was fun to watch. The highlight for me was "Homecoming" since Green Day never played this song at the shows I've been to. For this one, Billie sounded like himself but his voice was even stronger than usual. He removed his shirt, drew the heart on his chest and did the trust-fall perfectly, landing in the hands of the cast after "killing" himself. He then waved the gun with the "Bang!" sign playfully at the audience as he was carried away.

As usual, they played "Good Riddance" as the encore and you can see the happiness and pride in his face as he played the song with the rest of the cast who were equally excited.

Bravo Billie Joe!

PS: At least twice during the performance people mistook John Gallagher for Billie Joe. At one point, someone shouted "Get up Billie!" when it was clearly John lying on the stage. Also, after the show, Billie Joe didn't spend much time at the stage door. After waiting around 40 minutes, he came out, signed a few autographs and got in a black Mercedes with his wife. It was impossible to even get close due to the amount of people waiting at the stage door! But that's to be expected.

That first video is right after "St. Jimmy" and before "Give Me Novacaine."

Thanks for that. My internet is slow so I can't actually watch the video

i'm sure it's going to be difficult to contain my giddiness when I go, but I'm kinda surprised there was so much wooing out loud when he was singing :unsure:

but yeah... just seeing that video made me flip out and breathless so I hope I don't make an ass of myself hahaha

and an AI tour would be amazing <3

Heh... do you know how much they would have to edit for MTV? Even a considerably tame show like "Legally Blonde" had to do script and lyric changes for the MTV broadcast. They would butcher "American Idiot" so much... :ermm:

Well yeah....well, I guess they could still do what they did for Rent closing, and make a cinecast. Content-wise, the live taping didn't cut anything from the show. But in general, I doubt anything official's coming out of AI.

Archived