Billie Joe to play St. Jimmy in the musical

Fuzz

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can download "Good Riddance" from tonight at the official website: http://www.americanidiotonbroadway.com/download/

You might have to change the date to September 28 2010 if it doesn't do it automatically. :) Billie sounds great.

Thanks so much!! I am so excited for tomorrow, I can hardly stand it.

a friend of mine, Amy, (of_rage_and_love) was there tonight and posted this from after the show.

33587_473035826319_517301319_6659618_2638830_n.jpg

I just want to :D seeing this. I think I will!!! :D

Another review... it's more detailed so I'm going to spoiler it. :thumbsup:

Thanks! That was most enjoyable to read!

Pretty sure sugary syrup is better tasting than a sweaty man.

Is it wrong that to me Billie Joe tasted like lemon pie?

omg that's an adorable picture :wub:

and is someone implying that there's something yummier than Billie out there??

not possible.

xD

okay now I'm leaving.

a friend of mine, Amy, (of_rage_and_love) was there tonight and posted this from after the show.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/cherylangelatoo/BJA/33587_473035826319_517301319_6659618_2638830_n.jpg

It definitely made me :D

]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/cherylangelatoo/BJA/33587_473035826319_517301319_6659618_2638830_n.jpg[]

Do you know how long it took for him to come out after the show? I want to try seeing him tomorrow night. :)

Oh that smile. :blush:

Crotch grabbing, pelvic trusts...so exactly how he performs St Jimmy on tour. haha no surprise.

That GR audio was lovely :)

I think we need to separate out two different issues: what the band's press engine puts out, and what the various media outlets want people to focus on.

As for the first: I too was under the impression that 21CB's promotion was shit in comparison to AI's (and the musical's). But then I read two posts in a recent, very relevant thread that made me reconsider. Both were written by Adam (crock6000) who is a media production professional and has, as I understand it, some level of access to inside-the-entertainment-industry data and statistics that very few of us on this board do. For this as well as other reasons I give his opinions on these issues decisive weight. I'd encourage you to read:

Regarding the second issue -- what the media is currently focusing on -- I don't see that as being the band's responsiblity or their fault. The media outlets write what sells stories. A punk rock musical appearing on traditionally tight-assed Broadway sells stories, at least for awhile. The writer of that musical performing one of the key supporting roles for a week-long engagement also sells stories. If you don't care about it, don't want to hear it, or don't want it to contaminate your own preferred image of the band whose music is right behind all this, turn off your TV and shut off your computer, or just simply ignore it.

One last thought I had on this before I (yay!) shut my trap: even when he was just a kid Billie first learned to play instruments and sing by practicing Broadway show tunes. When Green Day tracked American Idiot they already had ideas for taking it to other media beyond the album itself. And when Michael Mayer approached Billie with the concept for the musical, Billie not only jumped at it but, I think, the two of them found themselves to be creative soul-mates -- you can tell that from the interviews and the recent talk-backs, and I do *not* think the AI musical will be the last we see of Billie and Michael Mayer collaborating with each other. In short, I see Billie as a highly-focused, ambitious, driven, and multi-talented entertainer with a first-rate work ethic who wasn't going to sit on his ass and pout in the face of an opportunity to perform in a venue/art-form that he has *long* admired. (And if you can't tell) I hold him in high regard for that.

Kudos for all the research. I completely understand where you're coming from & I myself do not necessarily blame the band for the promotion that has happened. Obviously all that goes down in the marketing department. Obviously from a marketer's point of view, they're going to try sell whatever will make more profit. And obviously the AI musical has a bigger point of diference in its market than 21stCB does. Even though the AI musical has not necessarily hijacked the band's career (they still tour, etc.) in OUR eyes, it appears so in the eyes of the average consumer. People that aren't completely plugged into the Green Day world are going to be more aware of AI Musical than the new album. Case in point, I've heard a few random conversations from strangers about the musical, but no one I know (other than friend exposed to it by me) even know 21stCB exists. In that sense, their image has been hijacked. Perhaps I was wrong in saying their career, since that's not necessarily true. But there image, which is how they are viewed by the majority of the public, has been taken over by AI.

I am! :D

Do you know how long it took for him to come out after the show? I want to try seeing him tomorrow night. :)

she didn't say, but she posted it a little bit before 10 EST. I keep thinking, 'Now that's a smile!!' :D

American Idiot on Broadway: Thanks to YOU guys for being such amazing fans - it was an epic day and night! Congrats to Billie Joe for an extraordinary broadway debut!

American Idiot on Broadway: Thanks to YOU guys for being such amazing fans - it was an epic day and night! Congrats to Billie Joe for an extraordinary broadway debut!

I'm so proud of Billie Joe right now.

From fb: The st james staff seemed pretty lenient about cameras tonight so I'm sure there will be something.

So maybe there will be some videos. :woot:

she didn't say, but she posted it a little bit before 10 EST. I keep thinking, 'Now that's a smile!!' :D

Sweet, thanks. And I know, he looks so happy in that photo :happy:

I feel so proud for Billie.

Like, I feel in my heart this immense happiness. It brings a smile to my face.

I hope that by the end of the week, Billie would have had the time of his life. =]

Archived