Billie Joe to play St. Jimmy in the musical

Fuzz

Pics and vids that come from this is going to be the highlight of my day. I can't wait to get something from this! It's gonna be so weird lol If I wasn't already out of town, I would so be there this weekend. I'd find a way goddammit! lol :runaround:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, it's 'open-ended' but if they don't announce an extension then yeah.

I know, but I don't think it's going to get an extra run.

I don't see Billie coming back to this after this week. if he did it would mean getting rid of an actor who is already contracted.

I don't see Billie coming back to this after this week. if he did it would mean getting rid of an actor who is already contracted.

Good point. it's only wishful thinking i guess =/

how the FUCK am i going to keep myself from looking at pictures after tonite's performance? dont wanna ruin the surprise of ST BILLIE till i see him burst thru that door on the stage-stairs on friday. must.have.willpower.must.have.willpower.must.have.willpower.

It could be awesome to see the musical and Billie Joe in it. But I live in Finland so I can't :(

I'll share the pain with you, neighbour =/

Good point. it's only wishful thinking i guess =/

He could make a few surprise appearances but I don't see it being a regular thing.

Some FB updates from the cast:

Theo: Is happy he can be there for baby billie's big opening night before jetting off tomorrow for Paris! Go billie rock rock rock rock

Andrew: This Week is gonna get WILD!

Leslie: Billie Joe starts tonight!! Gonna be a fun week

Gerard: This week is going to be awesome

Wallace: If you don't know, Billie Joe Armstrong (lead singer of the Grammy award winning band GREEN DAY) will be performing in Broadways American Idiot all week as St. Jimmy!!!! You won't want to miss it!!!

Rebecca: Billie Joe Armstrong joins the cast of American Idiot for one week starting tonight! IS THIS REAL LIFE?

Christina: its gonna be one wild and crazy week!!!

Happy yet nervous... appropriate .gif.

tumblr_l9gx3lHdUD1qzfhef.gif

Some FB updates from the cast:

Theo: Is happy he can be there for baby billie's big opening night before jetting off tomorrow for Paris! Go billie rock rock rock rock

Aw! :wub: 'Baby Billie!' That's adorable. But Theo's not going to be there for the rest of the week? Damn.

Yes. Because none of that is publicized. Everytime I hear "Green Day" in the media, "American Idiot Musical" swiftly follows. They barely did any press for 21stCB, but then exhausted the media circuit with AI promo. I'm not compaling about the musical in itself, I saw it and I adored it, but it's alllll I hear about now.

I think we need to separate out two different issues: what the band's press engine puts out, and what the various media outlets want people to focus on.

As for the first: I too was under the impression that 21CB's promotion was shit in comparison to AI's (and the musical's). But then I read two posts in a recent, very relevant thread that made me reconsider. Both were written by Adam (crock6000) who is a media production professional and has, as I understand it, some level of access to inside-the-entertainment-industry data and statistics that very few of us on this board do. For this as well as other reasons I give his opinions on these issues decisive weight. I'd encourage you to read:

Regarding the second issue -- what the media is currently focusing on -- I don't see that as being the band's responsiblity or their fault. The media outlets write what sells stories. A punk rock musical appearing on traditionally tight-assed Broadway sells stories, at least for awhile. The writer of that musical performing one of the key supporting roles for a week-long engagement also sells stories. If you don't care about it, don't want to hear it, or don't want it to contaminate your own preferred image of the band whose music is right behind all this, turn off your TV and shut off your computer, or just simply ignore it.

One last thought I had on this before I (yay!) shut my trap: even when he was just a kid Billie first learned to play instruments and sing by practicing Broadway show tunes. When Green Day tracked American Idiot they already had ideas for taking it to other media beyond the album itself. And when Michael Mayer approached Billie with the concept for the musical, Billie not only jumped at it but, I think, the two of them found themselves to be creative soul-mates -- you can tell that from the interviews and the recent talk-backs, and I do *not* think the AI musical will be the last we see of Billie and Michael Mayer collaborating with each other. In short, I see Billie as a highly-focused, ambitious, driven, and multi-talented entertainer with a first-rate work ethic who wasn't going to sit on his ass and pout in the face of an opportunity to perform in a venue/art-form that he has *long* admired. (And if you can't tell) I hold him in high regard for that.

I wish I had random large sums of money and time off college...damn it why did I go to NY 2 weeks ago??

Apparently he ain't shaving his head, lol. Bummer

Do not doubt the power of prosthetic headcoverings, m'friend! Will be interesting to see if he uses one....but my hunch is he'll just dye the hell out of his natural hair and muss-spike it back out again like we saw him do on the 2009 summer U.S. tour.

Archived