John Roecker's Updates For HLAHG

Liam

I'm, sadly, beginning to feel like this is gonna be like the Arrested Development movie. It should be the greatest thing on Earth, but it'll never happen. :(

it'll happen, or we'll break in John's house >.<

I'd just feel so bad for John if, after all this work, they don't let him release the bonus movie.

I'd just feel so bad for John if, after all this work, they don't let him release the bonus movie.

why doesn't he release it?

why doesn't he release it?

...because he doesnt own the rights to the music. Warner does. He's not allowed to release anything that contains GD's music without Warner's consent.

...because he doesnt own the rights to the music. Warner does. He's not allowed to release anything that contains GD's music without Warner's consent.

and why doesn't Warner want to release it?

and why doesn't Warner want to release it?

that's the question alot of people are asking. I'm not sure of the answer.

Probably because there's so much Green Day stuff going on at the moment. The film wouldn't sell as much as possible, and the public's attention would be pulled from the musical, so both those things wouldn't sell their maximum. Or maybe they want to do something for American Idiot's 10 year anniversary.

And I think Warner also owns their image, not only their music.

They better won't wait till American Idiot's 10th anniversary. We have to wait 4 more years for that! They should just give John the rights etc he needs for this movie, and let him release the whole thing, including bonus material, sometime next year.

Probably because there's so much Green Day stuff going on at the moment. The film wouldn't sell as much as possible, and the public's attention would be pulled from the musical, so both those things wouldn't sell their maximum. Or maybe they want to do something for American Idiot's 10 year anniversary.

those are all valid points that are being suggested as reasons, but I wish we'd just get an actual statement from Warner.

I don't think Warner owns their image per-se, they own the (for want of a better word) 'brand' that is Green Day, so no one can release or profit off anything to do with Green Day without the label's consent.

If what's stopping this fron getting released is the fact that Warner has the rights, couldn't Rob Cavallo pull some strings now, given his new position in Warner?

If what's stopping this fron getting released is the fact that Warner has the rights, couldn't Rob Cavallo pull some strings now, given his new position in Warner?

It's the band as well...

I hope not... gosh.

And Yes, I think Warner kind of owns GD.

But about the timing... there is not much green day stuff going on at the moment.

I mean, they are finishing their tour. Ok they announced a live album, maybe they want to release that first. It's ok with me. But if they wait much longer the GD hype will be "gone", and no one will want to buy it anyway. I understand that they have been waiting for It to come out when it's the right time, and now while we have the musical and all the promotion leading back to AMERICAN IDIOT, I think this is the prefect time to release HLAHG!

Gosh. I really want this out next year.

I wish the band would finally tell us what they want to do with it, it's not only John that is having a hard time around the film, we are also waiting for what 5 years to see this right? :lol:

Boys come on do something!

I think next year would be good as well. Green Day hasn't yet disappeared completely off the radar, and it would hook in nicely with the musical. It shouldn't be released too quickly though, because then it will pull the public's attention away from the musical.

those are all valid points that are being suggested as reasons, but I wish we'd just get an actual statement from Warner.

I don't think Warner owns their image per-se, they own the (for want of a better word) 'brand' that is Green Day, so no one can release or profit off anything to do with Green Day without the label's consent.

Yeah, an actual statement would be nice.

Yeah, that's a better description (which also includes their image).

I think next year would be good as well. Green Day hasn't yet disappeared completely off the radar, and it would hook in nicely with the musical. It shouldn't be released too quickly though, because then it will pull the public's attention away from the musical.

Not sure if it would take away attention from the musical, it would increase it in my point of view.

Not sure if it would take away attention from the musical, it would increase it in my point of view.

I think it could work both ways. It could be "Hey cool a movie!" and then people forget about the musical, or "hey cool a movie! and I heard there also was a musical from that!" (or the other way around).

I think that because the musical isn't doing that well, if the crowds 'Green Day attention' gets averted to a movie, it wouldn't be good for the musical. But who knows!

I still feel badly for fans that continue to wait with baited breath for this to happen.

I think it could work both ways. It could be "Hey cool a movie!" and then people forget about the musical, or "hey cool a movie! and I heard there also was a musical from that!" (or the other way around).

I think that because the musical isn't doing that well, if the crowds 'Green Day attention' gets averted to a movie, it wouldn't be good for the musical. But who knows!

Really? I thought the musical was doing well..

But I think if they release it, it could be merged with some kind of promotion to the musical... Also think, since It would bring attention to American idiot all over again, it would also bring attention the the musical (people would hear about it again)... I don't know, it just seems that it's about the right time. I could be completely wrong.

Anyways... If they don't put the musical outside Broadway, it won't make a huge difference lol

I sure want to see it, but can't, like a lot of fans around the world.

Really? I thought the musical was doing well..

But I think if they release it, it could be merged with some kind of promotion to the musical... Also think, since It would bring attention to American idiot all over again, it would also bring attention the the musical (people would hear about it again)... I don't know, it just seems that it's about the right time. I could be completely wrong.

Anyways... If they don't put the musical outside Broadway, it won't make a huge difference lol

I sure want to see it, but can't, like a lot of fans around the world.

It's not doing superbad or anything, but it could definitely be better.

I hope you're right. I really don't know what would happen. Both things could happen, and seem plausible.

I think no matter what time they release HLAHG it'll sell incredibly well because imo, it seem's like a documentary aimed at long-time fans, and not just fans of American Idiot, Green Day are now going into their 3rd generation and whatever is going on they still have thousands of fans from different generations. I used to talk to my teachers about Green Day more than other students, I reckon even some of them would be interested, even my dad would buy it.

He said to me on FB chat that it would be released some time early next year. Firstly in theaters and then DVD. I wonder if they would play it in theaters world wide or just in the states?

He also loves to talk about chavs. :lol:

Sorry if this has been mentioned. Not read through all the comments :pinch:

He said to me on FB chat that it would be released some time early next year. Firstly in theaters and then DVD. I wonder if they would play it in theaters world wide or just in the states?

He also loves to talk about chavs. :lol:

Sorry if this has been mentioned. Not read through all the comments :pinch:

I'm not doubting you but you should have taken a screen shot of the chat window :)

What gets me is one minute he says it'll be out next year, the next he's saying stuff like "they'll never go for it" or whatever.

I don't think he's got a clue what's going on. Either he genuinely keeps getting messed about or he's stringing people along for whatever reason. I pretty much ignore any 'updates' as he's been saying 'it's coming out soon/early next year' since it originally got shown. I don't think he's got a close relationship with the band anymore either.

Archived