American Idiot Cast Album.

jacknovella

I think the way John sings it it is like it is in the show, where he has just written the song himself, and sings it to Whatshername for the first time ever . GD's version is the long awaited recording... a finished product so to speak. I personally prefer the show's version but the other one is very beautiful as well :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, yeah, I read all the recaps too :lol: just can't remember too much of them, eh.

Well, idk. Maybe it was directed to be like that. Grr, it bugs me I don't know the exact setting of the song, that would help. I know it's after BTL/Extraordinary Girl/BTL, but that's a part with Tunny, so yeah.

"When It's Time" in terms of Johnny's storyline is after...

He shoots up Whatsername with the drugs. They are asleep on the bed when St. Jimmy appears offering Johnny more drugs. Johnny tells it happily but as St. Jimmy disappears, Johnny looks at Whatsername and then the drugs before casting the drugs away and taking his guitar. He asks her if she's asleep, which she is, and then he says 'Good. I wrote this for you" while he takes out the piece of paper with the song written down.

Johnny's all for rage and love and at this moment, he chose love (Whatsername) over rage (the drugs). He's never been in love before so it's all new to him thus him being a bit hesitant on playing the song and why he plays it while she's asleep instead of when she's awake. It's a quiet and sweet moment in the song because he literally is the only one playing. The band isn't playing, the monitors aren't even on, Carmel isn't directing... it's just Johnny singing to Whatsername. Which is completely different than Billie's version where he has the band backing, etc.

The next song is "Know Your Enemy" when St. Jimmy, who saw Johnny casting the drugs away and saying 'I Love You' in the song, brings Johnny back to reality, bombarding him with dark thoughts and Johnny ends up doing drugs again and threatens Whatsername with it before collapsing.

The next song is "21 Guns" which towards the end, Johnny pulls out the piece of paper with "When It's Time" to give to Whatsername to show her that he actually cares (I swear, I tear up every time I see him do this) but she walks away before he gives it to her. St. Jimmy hovers near Johnny's shoulder and gives him a marker where Johnny, under St. Jimmy's influence, writes the note that Whatsernames finds at the beginning of "Letterbomb."

This is the letter from Berkeley:

16649_191005146686_655836686_315059.jpg16649_191005141686_655836686_315059.jpg

I don't know if the actual words are still one there but John still actually scribbles on the back, though. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the long ass explanation but while it might seem small, it actually is a big thing/turning point for Johnny's character.

I swear I tear up everytime I read details of this play that I'll never see :cry:

god, that makes sense AND it's beautiful :wub: thanks :happy:

When do you guys think the album will be on sale in Europe, in stores?

I think I saw it woould be on sale in May around here.. soo.

I swear I tear up everytime I read details of this play that I'll never see :cry:

god, that makes sense AND it's beautiful :wub: thanks :happy:

never say never! I'm hoping for a dvd or something, who thinks it would make a really good match with Heart Like a Hand Grenade?? ohh my

There's one little thing that really annoys me every time I listen to this album. On the first BTL, when he sings "Dreaming, I was only dreaming", he totally misses the note on the "I". It just bugs me, like why didn't they fix it ? :lol:

When do you guys think the album will be on sale in Europe, in stores?

I think I saw it woould be on sale in May around here.. soo.

never say never! I'm hoping for a dvd or something, who thinks it would make a really good match with Heart Like a Hand Grenade?? ohh my

I don't think they'd release HLAHG with the musical, 'cause HLAHG already has They're all without you... but that would be so great :wub:

(in fact, if I get a vhs of the lowest quality ever of the musical, I'll be happy anyways :lol: )

and the album was supposed to be outside the US on may 10th :happy:

There's one little thing that really annoys me every time I listen to this album. On the first BTL, when he sings "Dreaming, I was only dreaming", he totally misses the note on the "I". It just bugs me, like why didn't they fix it ? :lol:

I actually like it that way :ninja: Tunny is basically dying in Irak, I don't think he cares too much about the note :lol:

MAY 10TH! UK! :D

I pre-ordered mine from amazon a couple of weeks ago...seems like i've been waiting ages :(

I pre-ordered mine from amazon a couple of weeks ago...seems like i've been waiting ages :(

Ahh that sucks. I should've pre-ordered mine. Do you think they will sell them in HMV?

I have a feeling I'm gonna become addicted to this thing. :)

I have a feeling I'm gonna become addicted to this thing. :)

You will, at first it won't seem like it, but trust me, you will.

(I'm an addict, so I know from personal experiences. ;))

I still have to call FRS to ask if they'll sell this. I keep procrastinating xD

"When It's Time" in terms of Johnny's storyline is after...

He shoots up Whatsername with the drugs. They are asleep on the bed when St. Jimmy appears offering Johnny more drugs. Johnny tells it happily but as St. Jimmy disappears, Johnny looks at Whatsername and then the drugs before casting the drugs away and taking his guitar. He asks her if she's asleep, which she is, and then he says 'Good. I wrote this for you" while he takes out the piece of paper with the song written down.

Johnny's all for rage and love and at this moment, he chose love (Whatsername) over rage (the drugs). He's never been in love before so it's all new to him thus him being a bit hesitant on playing the song and why he plays it while she's asleep instead of when she's awake. It's a quiet and sweet moment in the song because he literally is the only one playing. The band isn't playing, the monitors aren't even on, Carmel isn't directing... it's just Johnny singing to Whatsername. Which is completely different than Billie's version where he has the band backing, etc.

The next song is "Know Your Enemy" when St. Jimmy, who saw Johnny casting the drugs away and saying 'I Love You' in the song, brings Johnny back to reality, bombarding him with dark thoughts and Johnny ends up doing drugs again and threatens Whatsername with it before collapsing.

The next song is "21 Guns" which towards the end, Johnny pulls out the piece of paper with "When It's Time" to give to Whatsername to show her that he actually cares (I swear, I tear up every time I see him do this) but she walks away before he gives it to her. St. Jimmy hovers near Johnny's shoulder and gives him a marker where Johnny, under St. Jimmy's influence, writes the note that Whatsernames finds at the beginning of "Letterbomb."

This is the letter from Berkeley:

16649_191005146686_655836686_315059.jpg16649_191005141686_655836686_315059.jpg

I don't know if the actual words are still one there but John still actually scribbles on the back, though. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the long ass explanation but while it might seem small, it actually is a big thing/turning point for Johnny's character.

Ah, okay, thanks! Makes a lot of sense. Haha, don't apologize it's long, longer means more details which is nice :happy:

i ordered my copy today!!!! Ill ge the actual CD copy Tuesday!! Im so excited, im almost in tears!

Finally got mine today! :woot: I ordered it from amazon.com because at the time it seemed that amazon.de would not be selling it. It took 2 weeks but now I`m all happy! :wub:

You will, at first it won't seem like it, but trust me, you will.

(I'm an addict, so I know from personal experiences. ;))

Sweet! :D Haha, 'I'm an addict' :P

Will they have this album in HMV when it is released in the UK?! D:

yay, I think on friday I'm going to the mall... which means, to THE record store... which means... I'LL GET TO ASK IF IT WILL GET HERE! :lol:

Yes. I belive on Tuesday its being released everywhere. And the guys at HMV told me that. i proved them wrong.

The one guy said "Which version is it" So i said "With the cast of American Idiot the Musical" And then he said "Oh thats not gonna be out for a long time, the musical just came out: So then i told him "Well its out i the US now, so ya know...." So he checked the computer and after a few minutes he said "You can pick it up Tuesday :sleep::dry: "

Just listened to it today. Okay, I admit it, I've been very, very, very cynical about this thing from the start. I was never a fan of other people singing Billie's songs and disliked alot of the performances that I saw from the play but this album is actually pretty good. Fair enough there are some tracks I really dislike the renditions of like Jesus of Suburbia because I just didn't think it worked with these vocalists but songs like Favourite Song, Give me Novacaine and Last of the American Girls/Shes a Rebel are awesome! I just loved the way they have been changed around for the musical.

Sweet! :D Haha, 'I'm an addict' :P

Yessiree. I'm about to pre-order mine and get it delivered here because if not I'll have to wait another week until I can drive to the nearest HMV.

Hmm, don't know whether its better to order it from HMV or Amazon. I use Amazon a lot so I think I'll got for that.

I'm looking at every fucking site here in brazil and I can't find the CD to pre-order =/

I bought my copy of this today. I walked into HMV and there it was in front of me :happy:

I know there was some talk of the English version not having Green Day's "when its time" Thankfully the Irish one does :D

was about to ask yesterday on the record's store, but it was too full of people :(

I let this hear to a bunch of musical people today, and one of them is going to London Tuesday and he's gonna look if he can find this for me :happy:

Archived