American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I hope this means there'll be a cast recording soon :wub: I love the possibilty that it could be nominated for a Tony award, imagine green day with one of those? :teehee:

So will this be around in the summer? Because my friend and I are planning a trip to NY to see this. So I'm hoping it will!

It should be around then. These productions usually last at least six months or more.

Since I'm probably only seeing it once, I'm trying to decide when would be the best time to go. The preview shows, opening night/one of the first few shows, or should I wait a while after it's opened? I'd appreciate any advice from someone who's seen it already. :)

I'm going opening night, considering the band might come opening night...

Hmm, good point. I'll consider that.

I wonder how difficult it'll be to get tickets for opening night though.

I don't know when tickets are coming out for opening night, but the minute they do I'm buying some. Does anyone know when they're on sale?

That settles it:

I am in NYC June 13 and or 14th on my way to my trip to go see Green Day at Wembley on the 19th

Done......now waiting when I can buy the tickets

can only go to one showing

but there I am....you will see me there

It should be around then. These productions usually last at least six months or more.

Since I'm probably only seeing it once, I'm trying to decide when would be the best time to go. The preview shows, opening night/one of the first few shows, or should I wait a while after it's opened? I'd appreciate any advice from someone who's seen it already. :)

I haven't seen the show yet, (obviously) but as a Broadway addict, I can offer some general advice.

This is all about shows in general, but after a show in NY, generally the cast will exit through the theater's stage door, and fans are allowed to gather around and can get autographs and such when they come out. They will usually talk to everyone waiting there (I say usually--sometimes they tend to be in a bit of a hurry and want to get out of there). If you go to a preview show, you generally will have to wait for a while following the show for them to leave (because they usually have notes on production and stuff from the crew up until opening night so they can tweak things before the press is invited).

Opening night, while it would be amazing, probably wouldn't be easy. Most tickets go very quickly, and most of it's press and celebs and etc. Fans very rarely get tickets to opening shows. Your best bet, I'd say, would be to go a few days following opening, for several reasons.

1. The cast is usually "fresh" and tends to be friendlier and more enthusiastic at stage door, if you're interested in meeting them. Example: me and my friends saw next to normal the second night it was open, and the entire cast came out, took pictures with the fans, signed autographs, held conversations. They were incredibly friendly and took time to talk to everyone. We went back to the stage door when we went down in Dec, hoping to meet one of the cast that I'm absolutely obsessed with and practically died over when I met him the first time. Only three cast members came out, not one of them was him. Reasoning: he's become too well known and people have taken to being REALLY overly creepy and obsessive over him. Lesson: If you go when the show first starts, you'll most likely get to talk to the cast for a minute or two after it.

2. The "hype" about the show hasn't quite built up yet--so tickets should be a lot easier to get. To use my example again, TKTS (a ticket booth in Times Square) sells completely legal, reduced price tickets to new shows and shows that need more hype. Me and my friends paid $60 each to see N2N from relatively excellent seats, where we otherwise would have paid closer to a hundred a piece. A month or two later, the show became "too" popular and TKTS stopped selling reduced price tickets for it.

3. You get the advantage of saying you saw the show before everyone else starts "OMG"-ing over it. :)

Eh. Hope that helped a little.

I haven't seen the show yet, (obviously) but as a Broadway addict, I can offer some general advice.

This is all about shows in general, but after a show in NY, generally the cast will exit through the theater's stage door, and fans are allowed to gather around and can get autographs and such when they come out. They will usually talk to everyone waiting there (I say usually--sometimes they tend to be in a bit of a hurry and want to get out of there). If you go to a preview show, you generally will have to wait for a while following the show for them to leave (because they usually have notes on production and stuff from the crew up until opening night so they can tweak things before the press is invited).

Opening night, while it would be amazing, probably wouldn't be easy. Most tickets go very quickly, and most of it's press and celebs and etc. Fans very rarely get tickets to opening shows. Your best bet, I'd say, would be to go a few days following opening, for several reasons.

1. The cast is usually "fresh" and tends to be friendlier and more enthusiastic at stage door, if you're interested in meeting them. Example: me and my friends saw next to normal the second night it was open, and the entire cast came out, took pictures with the fans, signed autographs, held conversations. They were incredibly friendly and took time to talk to everyone. We went back to the stage door when we went down in Dec, hoping to meet one of the cast that I'm absolutely obsessed with and practically died over when I met him the first time. Only three cast members came out, not one of them was him. Reasoning: he's become too well known and people have taken to being REALLY overly creepy and obsessive over him. Lesson: If you go when the show first starts, you'll most likely get to talk to the cast for a minute or two after it.

2. The "hype" about the show hasn't quite built up yet--so tickets should be a lot easier to get. To use my example again, TKTS (a ticket booth in Times Square) sells completely legal, reduced price tickets to new shows and shows that need more hype. Me and my friends paid $60 each to see N2N from relatively excellent seats, where we otherwise would have paid closer to a hundred a piece. A month or two later, the show became "too" popular and TKTS no longer sells reduced price tickets for it.

3. You get the advantage of saying you saw the show before everyone else starts "OMG"-ing over it. :)

Eh. Hope that helped a little.

I think this is excellent advice!

If people are going hoping to see Green Day, remember this is a larger theater than Berkeley Rep's Roda. I think it would be much harder to see them in New York, and I think the entire atmosphere will be less relaxed than it was at Berkeley Rep. I could be wrong about that, but truly - the times I saw the show without the band being there were just as special to me as the times they were there. The show is outstanding! And the cast members were awesomely friendly. I think you'll find it's more rewarding to just go to a random show rather than trying to figure out when the band will be there.

That's my two cents :).

That settles it:

I am in NYC June 13 and or 14th on my way to my trip to go see Green Day at Wembley on the 19th

Done......now waiting when I can buy the tickets

can only go to one showing

but there I am....you will see me there

:o thats such i good idea! i think ill do that too. go on the way to Wembley.

aahh this is soo awsome! oooo my cousin just moved to new york! hell yeah!

dumb questions: about how much will tickets be? i have absolutely no idea how much tickets are for a play on broadway.

dumb questions: about how much will tickets be? i have absolutely no idea how much tickets are for a play on broadway.

if any one wants to stay with me at a hotel to save $ let me know....

its an option I need keep open!

we could get 4 to a room....

Did they announce how long the show will run for?

I'd really like to go opening night But I'll be in school.

I will hardly be able to convince my parents to let me go to NYC, let alone skip school for it.

OMG...I hope it goes past May 7th and I can go! :o

I am sure it will! it went for at least 2 months in Berkeley and still was selling totally out!

I am sure it will! it went for at least 2 months in Berkeley and still was selling totally out!

Good, that make me feel much better. thanks.

I was worried for a minute.

I'm pretty sure the show will run at least through the summer unless something crazy happens... like no one goes to see it or the economy tanks badly. But the buzz is so great for this show, I think a six-month run to start off is more or less guaranteed.

I am hoping that somehow the IC will have a batch of tickets for shows. We'll see.

tickets tend to be expensive

orchestra seats can sell for over $100, the more popular the show, usually the more expensive

Sarah made a great point by mentioning TKTS. The only problem with that is the line is usually HUGE, but it would be worth it.

also you may also search the internet for deals

for example playbill.com offers some good deals, but they're usually for a specific time and you have to sign up for the account. But it wont hurt signing up, here's the link =)

hoped that helped a little :)

i really hope they have some sort of pre-sale for this

Edit: sometimes they offer deals for students. so if you plan on buying tickets the day of the show and you're a student, show your ID, you might get a small discount

anyone wish to do the Train to NYC thing from Toronto and share a hotel? (those who are Canadians)

its a thought!

orchestra seats can sell for over $100, the more popular the show, usually the more expensive

Sarah made a great point by mentioning TKTS. The only problem with that is the line is usually HUGE, but it would be worth it

If you get there like an hour before they open, you can usually be really far up in the line.

When me and my friends went, we were standing right there first, and the guy that worked there asked us what we were waiting for and we told him. He told us to sit down, and if we listened to him and kept to ourselves and kept quiet for the next hour, he'd put us in line first.

We did, and he put us first in line.

We got our tickets and were very happy.

:)

What are 'preview shows?'

A show usually has previews... this is when the cast and crew experiment with the space and perfect the show. There are cast notes afterwards, things are reworked if they don't work, all to perfect the show for the opening.

What are 'preview shows?'

Shows usually go through a month of previews where they're performed before audiences to gauge reaction. The cast has to sit backstage pretty much every night after the show and get "notes", where the directors and producers and crew talk about things they think need to be tweaked.

Opening night is when the press is officially invited.

If you get there like an hour before they open, you can usually be really far up in the line.

When me and my friends went, we were standing right there first, and the guy that worked there asked us what we were waiting for and we told him. He told us to sit down, and if we listened to him and kept to ourselves and kept quiet for the next hour, he'd put us in line first.

We did, and he put us first in line.

We got our tickets and were very happy.

:)

wow thats awesome!!

im never there early enough :lol: