American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

http://mixonline.com/live/tourprofiles/sta...green-day-0110/

Here's an article about the technical aspects of the show for those of you who are interested!

I think it's really sweet that the boys worked so closely with the on-stage musicians and that Billie donated his own guitars! Just shows how dedicated they are!

I've been hearing that they've been waiting for the St. James Theater to open up for awhile now. The closing announcement for Finian's Rainbow (the show that currently occupies the St. James) just went up last night. The theater will be available after January 17th. Today I woke up to several emails (and one very happy tweet) speculating that the official transfer announcement could come as early as next week. Just throwing that out there. :wink:

Hmm the st. James scoop is interesting...but isn't it a little big for American Idiot? With about 1600 or 1700 seats, that's a lot for a show that might not have the best mainstream appeal (compared to something like Jersey Boys), considering the fact that there is limited dialouge and the score is rock music. Honestly, I think it would do better on off-broadway (and they could always transfer at a later date).

But if they want to got to for the 2010 Tonys, they should definetly try and get in one of the theatres opening in January, like maybe the Neil Simon which is a large theatre (so it could accomodate the stage), but it does't have as many seats as the st. James.

Edited by Jess:)

http://mixonline.com/live/tourprofiles/sta...green-day-0110/

Here's an article about the technical aspects of the show for those of you who are interested!

I think it's really sweet that the boys worked so closely with the on-stage musicians and that Billie donated his own guitars! Just shows how dedicated they are!

I read that earlier today. Great article. AI is mixed really well in the theater. I loved the technical aspects of the set and sound design.

Hmm the st. James scoop is interesting...but isn't it a little big for American Idiot? With about 1600 or 1700 seats, that's a lot for a show that might not have the best mainstream appeal (compared to something like Jersey Boys), considering the fact that there is limited dialouge and the score is rock music. Honestly, I think it would do better on off-broadway (and they could always transfer at a later date).

But if they want to got to for the 2010 Tonys, they should definetly try and get in one of the theatres opening in January, like maybe the Neil Simon which is a large theatre (so it could accomodate the stage), but it does't have as many seats as the st. James.

I think this could be one of the biggest shows of the year! People are anxious to see how it is. I think they need to release the video for 21 Guns w/ the cast to really pump people up!

I'd love to see our boys win a Tony! The Tony's loved Spring Awakening, so this is probably going to have a similar response.

It's a lot of seats but the stage is really tall. The AI set is soaring at 3 stories or so. The St. James has a really big fly space. May be one of the reasons why they are potentially looking at the St. James. But, we'll see what happens when it happens. The off-Broadway move would be spectacular, but they need a theater that could handle it. Not many around with a good sized stage.

By the way, Incendiary Girl found a link at Playbill.com that mentions this thread in the GDC about the Flickr photo set link that was posted above:

http://www.playbill.com/playblog/?p=3806

I think this could be one of the biggest shows of the year! People are anxious to see how it is. I think they need to release the video for 21 Guns w/ the cast to really pump people up!

I'd love to see our boys win a Tony! The Tony's loved Spring Awakening, so this is probably going to have a similar response.

I think it has a good chance of starting off really well on Broadway and winning some tonys, but if they're in a theatre as large as the st. james, chances are, they won't be in there for as long as we might like. Things are tough on broadway and shows are closing early (Spring Awakening, anyone? Passing strange? ect.). They'll have a longer life in a theatre with less seats or off broadway.

I think it has a good chance of starting off really well on Broadway and winning some tonys, but if they're in a theatre as large as the st. james, chances are, they won't be in there for as long as we might like. Things are tough on broadway and shows are closing early (Spring Awakening, anyone? Passing strange? ect.). They'll have a longer life in a theatre with less seats or off broadway.

I concur.

We'll see.

If anyone is interested, here's a download of "Last of the American Girls/She's a Rebel" from the Nov. 14th evening performance.

FYI, one other rock musical has played the St. James - "Tommy". It started out a hit but rarely sold out, and closed earlier than people had predicted. One thing to keep in mind about the St. James is that it has a 3rd seating level - the balcony. With any luck, the producers will price it reasonably for GD fans, but on the other hand, the show needs to sell a lot of the higher-priced seats so the show can be profitable and have a long life.

Tanya is probably right about the height requirement. That's been the most consistent thing I've heard since the Broadway 2010 talk started. It would be great if they had a space that offered better ticket percentages, but I'd rather they worry about staging it properly instead. We'll see what happens. I plan to be there regardless of where it opens! :)

Thanks for posting the link, Tanya! I never got around to it. :)

btw, I don't disagree about the seats/tickets. It feels like everything is closing early now. :(

i saw the video but he sings the wrong lyrics, doesn´t he or is it just his accent?

i like the vid though^^

I believe that he does mix up some of the lyrics at the beginning of the phrase but ends it correctly. Does that make sense?

If anyone is interested, here's a download of "Last of the American Girls/She's a Rebel" from the Nov. 14th evening performance.

Sorry, we can't post those here. Thanks for thinking of sharing with us, though, and welcome to the forum!

Sorry, we can't post those here. Thanks for thinking of sharing with us, though, and welcome to the forum!

Oops. Sorry. My bad.

I believe that he does mix up some of the lyrics at the beginning of the phrase but ends it correctly. Does that make sense?

that´s what i wanted to say^^

Oops. Sorry. My bad.

No problem - it takes a little while to learn what is and isn't okay. Let me know if you have any questions.

Which November 14 performance did you see? I was at both of them and the final one the next night. I hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did!

No problem - it takes a little while to learn what is and isn't okay. Let me know if you have any questions.

Which November 14 performance did you see? I was at both of them and the final one the next night. I hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did!

I saw the 10pm one. I flew in from the east coast just to see the show. I was fortunate enough to get a ticket. About three, four rows on the far left of the orchestra. I missed some things, like I didn't see the car hanging from the ceiling until after the show ended. But I enjoyed it very much. I kind-of went in not knowing what to expect... but I was blown away. The one thing that I regret about the musical is not seeing Tony as St. Jimmy. Andrew was good, but after all the reviews I read about Tony's performance, I realized that Andrew as St. Jimmy just kind-of faded into the background. I listened to Green Day back when I was younger and hadn't heard anything from them in years until I heard about the musical, having Johnny Gallagher in the show is what pulled me back in... :D

If anyone is interested, he's playing every Friday in January at the Rockwood Music Hall in NYC. He's a sweetheart and I can't wait to see him on Broadway again.

I saw the 10pm one. I flew in from the east coast just to see the show. I was fortunate enough to get a ticket. About three, four rows on the far left of the orchestra. I missed some things, like I didn't see the car hanging from the ceiling until after the show ended. But I enjoyed it very much. I kind-of went in not knowing what to expect... but I was blown away. The one thing that I regret about the musical is not seeing Tony as St. Jimmy. Andrew was good, but after all the reviews I read about Tony's performance, I realized that Andrew as St. Jimmy just kind-of faded into the background. I listened to Green Day back when I was younger and hadn't heard anything from them in years until I heard about the musical, having Johnny Gallagher in the show is what pulled me back in... :D

If anyone is interested, he's playing every Friday in January at the Rockwood Music Hall in NYC. He's a sweetheart and I can't wait to see him on Broadway again.

That's awesome! I live in Oklahoma, so I flew in just for the show, too. I'd seen the first two previews and couldn't wait to see it again with all the changes. We were actually sitting quite close to each other that night. I was in row C right in the center - couldn't have asked for a better seat, and it was sheer luck of the draw.

I hope I'll get to meet you at one of the Broadway performances :).

I got a facebook comment from Ben. Thompson. today...

This is his quote from my face book! it makes me all warm and fuzzy and it goes out to all of us!

Thought I'd share! :wub:

Hey Suzanne!!! We would never be where we are without the fans of the show! You guys over at GDC ROCK!!!

That's awesome! I live in Oklahoma, so I flew in just for the show, too. I'd seen the first two previews and couldn't wait to see it again with all the changes. We were actually sitting quite close to each other that night. I was in row C right in the center - couldn't have asked for a better seat, and it was sheer luck of the draw.

I hope I'll get to meet you at one of the Broadway performances :).

I hope so, too. :) It looks like St. James will be the theater that AI going to based on some hints from some of the cast, but no official word yet I guess. Kind-of hoping that it'll go to the O'Neill because it's smaller and has a better feel but that would mean Fela! to close and I don't want to happen...

BTW, does anyone know who the understudies were for the leads?

The only ones that I know are Chase Peacock for Johnny and Andrew Call for St. Jimmy.

Just another AI mention for 2010.

IN THE WINGS FOR SPRING?

Waiting in the wings, perhaps for spring 2010, is the well-reviewed American Idiot, the new rock musical by punk group Green Day and Tony Award-winning director Michael Mayer. No dates have been announced, but producers Tom Hulce and Ira Pittelman are said to be craving a certain Broadway venue. The dark-hued musical borrows songs from the punk album of the same name, plus numbers from Green Day's latest album, "21st Century Breakdown."

The show, which world-premiered at Berkeley Rep in California in fall 2009, "follows working-class characters from the suburbs to the city to the Middle East, as they seek redemption in a world filled with frustration — an exhilarating journey borne along by Green Day's electrifying songs." (It ain't The Addams Family.)

Article link: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/13559...roadway-Season-

I hope so, too. :) It looks like St. James will be the theater that AI going to based on some hints from some of the cast, but no official word yet I guess. Kind-of hoping that it'll go to the O'Neill because it's smaller and has a better feel but that would mean Fela! to close and I don't want to happen...

BTW, does anyone know who the understudies were for the leads?

The only ones that I know are Chase Peacock for Johnny and Andrew Call for St. Jimmy.

Ben Thompson was Matt Caplan's understudy and had to take the roll a few times.