American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Well, I won't say welcome if you've been around quite a while, but glad you've decided to participate! And we've had varied opinions about the show. Most people who were disappointed the first time have had a more positive reaction if they were able to see it twice. If you have that opportunity, maybe you should grasp it with both hands!

Well, thanks for the er, thing that sounds like welcome. :D I'd love to see the show again - see if there are any changes, and just see how it settles the 2nd time around. Live in San Diego though, just up visiting the old neighborhood (went to school in SF). Maybe I can get back up there before it closes, but kinda doubting it. I have tix for some prod down here (Rent & Spring Awakening!!!) this month & next, so pretty excited about those. (Warning: theatre geek. first love other than favorite bands Muse & GD).

Well, thanks for the er, thing that sounds like welcome. :D I'd love to see the show again - see if there are any changes, and just see how it settles the 2nd time around. Live in San Diego though, just up visiting the old neighborhood (went to school in SF). Maybe I can get back up there before it closes, but kinda doubting it. I have tix for some prod down here (Rent & Spring Awakening!!!) this month & next, so pretty excited about those. (Warning: theatre geek. first love other than favorite bands Muse & GD).

Well, the theater geeks on this forum have been hanging out in this thread, so you're in the right place! :lol:

was Matt Caplan injured?

someone wrote on facebook he wasn´t on stage and then the theater posted this article.

http://networkedblogs.com/p14138426

I know that he was sick for a while and that Ben Thompson played the part of Tunny for a few nights, but I had not heard that he was injured.

I know that he was sick for a while and that Ben Thompson played the part of Tunny for a few nights, but I had not heard that he was injured.

yea, i think it´s just a rumor, but thanks for your answer

Poor Matt, to be out when both the NY and LA Times reviews the shows... that sucks balls of goo. DUDE, I hope he feels better soon!!

BTW, I have posted the first part of my review of the show.... it ended up being so long-winded and then my home laptop died (I'm on my work puter now) that I will have to break it up into sections now. Please feel free to comment over there if you wanna.

http://greendaymind.wordpress.com/2009/10/...-pt-i-the-book/

Though [Charles] Isherwood does have a few criticisms, he compares AI to Rent, Tommy, and HAIR - which are three phenomenal, ground-breaking rock musicals, so that in itself is a compliment! So.. yay!

Though [Charles] Isherwood does have a few criticisms, he compares AI to Rent, Tommy, and HAIR - which are three phenomenal, ground-breaking rock musicals, so that in itself is a compliment! So.. yay!

If I see on more reviewer compare anything to Rent or Spring Awakening, I'm gonna gag! haha, but I was really happy that he compared it to Hair, that was really nice. Overall, the NYT review surprised me... they rarely gush over anything, and it was pretty darn gushy! Good for them!

I had the pleasure of seeing the AI musical on Thursday. It really exceeded my high expectations. I also think I've become a huge Tony Vincent fan. :D

I had the pleasure of seeing the AI musical on Thursday. It really exceeded my high expectations. I also think I've become a huge Tony Vincent fan. :D

wooohooooo welcome welcome! :D

btw tv fans....i'm starting to put some tony vincent stuff up on tonyvincentworld.com -pics, reviews, press, video etc. if anyone has anything to contribute please let me know!

http://www.tonyvincentworld.com/americanidiot.htm

-ing x

Edited by miss_ing

American Idiot dance workshop with the Associate Choreographer - Friday, October 30, 5-6pm

Couldn't stay in your seat while watching or listening to American Idiot? Wonder what it takes to perform in a high-energy rockin' musical? Now is your opportunity to learn some of the actual choreography seen on stage in Green Day's American Idiot at Berkeley Rep and about the choreographic process.

Join us for an exclusive hands-on dance class in which you can experience the process of creating and performing the movement for American Idiot. Led by American Idiot associate choreographer and swing actor Lorin Latarro, participants will break down and delve into Steven Hoggett's original choreography from the show. Get your angst out through the same pulsing, kicking, and pounding moves that the actors perform eight times a week next door at Berkeley Rep's Roda Theatre, followed by a Q&A session with Lorin.

Open to ages 14 and up. Only $15.

Space is limited. Call now to register: 510 647-2978.

WHAT: American Idiot Dance Class & Talkback

WHO: Taught by Lorin Latarro, American Idiot associate choreographer and swing. Open to ages 14 and up.

WHERE: Berkeley Rep School of Theatre, 2071 Addison Street in downtown Berkeley.

WHEN: Friday, October 30 at 5pm.

HOW MUCH: $15. Call 510 647-2978 to register today!

INFO & REGISTER: 510 647-2978 / school@berkeleyrep.org

Something like this probably wouldn't happen until it goes to Broadway. I doubt that they will put something out on tape prior to that. Equity actors have a lot of rules that have to be followed, and it would take a lot of negotiation to film it at this stage. Unless of course, someone bootlegged it, but it would be underground, not something that would go on Youtube. Too many union rules and AFTRA/SAG/Equity stuff. They would yank if off Youtube in a heartbeat.

there has to be a way to see it without actually going......are they gonna make a movie out of it? like they did bullet in a bible?

there has to be a way to see it without actually going......are they gonna make a movie out of it? like they did bullet in a bible?

That's an entirely different set of rules for actors... falls under SAG, not Equity and even then, it's both a Equity and SAG quaqmire.

I understand that there is a rehearsal video, but no one but people at Berkeley have it.

I wouldn't expect anything like this yet unless it is bootlegged.

Sorry.

I finally finished the second part of my long long review. But be warned, it has criticism in it, I have some issues with the production. Sadly...

http://wp.me/pxCbT-tJ

That choreography workshop thing sounds like it would be fun. For those who are local, anyway.

Although I know some of the people on here who saw the musical had pretty strong feelings about not liking the choreography too much. :lol:

That choreography workshop thing sounds like it would be fun. For those who are local, anyway.

Although I know some of the people on here who saw the musical had pretty strong feelings about not liking the choreography too much. :lol:

Yah... :)

I did like her swing dancing number during Favorite Son, though. :0

I don't know, it was just so... B'way and pretend punk. And I really like Hoggett, too. Ack. :(

I Liked the choreography! but then again i am more into music so that part doesn't seem to phase me as much!

hii everyone!!

I am going to see the American Idiot Musical on November 12th @ 8pm!! Anyone else going to be at this show?! If so let me know, I'd love to meet some of you guys!

:bunny:

I noticed a nice change this last show:

- Whatshername now is resistant to doing drugs with Johnny during Last Night On Earth

Guest Shangri-La

i haven't been in this thread in way too long.. i would SOO go to that choreography thing if i were in the bay!

i just got fired and i've been seriously thinking about moving back to berkeley. if only i could find a job there..

i haven't been in this thread in way too long.. i would SOO go to that choreography thing if i were in the bay!

i just got fired and i've been seriously thinking about moving back to berkeley. if only i could find a job there..

Zoe, I'm so sorry I didn't realize you got fired. That's horrible, I'm so sorry. :(

This may be the clearest indication that the producers are trying to bring the show to Broadway:

Michael Riedel in the New York Post

Other shows seeking theaters include Green Day's "American Idiot," Mark Shaiman and Scott Wittman's "Catch Me If You Can" and Twyla Tharp's "Come Fly With Me."

Any news on a cast recording?

This may be the clearest indication that the producers are trying to bring the show to Broadway:

Michael Riedel in the New York Post

This is why I'm not really worried that it won't head to B'way or off-B-way. I'm sure it is. We're dying here from stupid bad musicals and trying to get frigging "Spiderman" on B'way for a budget of 1 mil a week. Sorry, U2, but that is just stupid. At least I enjoyed American Idiot for the most part and would gladly see it a few times when it hits NYC in the Fall/Winter. But don't expect to get here before then.