American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

TALES FROM A NON-BELIEVER

A dear friend of mine lives in Berkeley and has a subscription to the Berkeley Rep theater. I casually asked if she would be seeing AMERICAN IDIOT (I am not a blabbermouth to my friends about my love for Green Day because at my age it just seems weird and creepy) to which she responded she did and the following are her thoughts. I think this goes to prove there is a huge audience for this show outside the Green Day fan base.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREENDAY LOVE AT 38: Interesting. How did you find it listening to the songs from the actors / chorus and not from Green Day

BERKELEY FRIEND: I preferred listening to it from the theatrical performance much more. I was so taken by the experience that I listened to AMERICAN IDIOT (the album) at home and I much prefered hearing the songs from the depth of many performers singing it than just Billie Joe's voice.

GREEN DAY LOVE AT 38: So interesting!!!

BERKELEY FRIEND: Yes, I would much prefer to listen to a cast recording of AMERICAN IDIOT than the Green Day original.

That's interesting. When I went last week, I heard a woman after the show telling her friend she never liked Green Day because she doesn't like Billie's voice, but that she loved the play because when she heard other people singing the songs, she realized how good they are.

Well that sounds like something I could really get excited about - if it's done right by the right people.

Y'know, J'net, it's just this thing that bugs me. Why are these guys, who seemingly so respect Green Day as artists, laughing their heads off at Green Day's own idea of where they wanted to take AI?

Y'know, J'net, it's just this thing that bugs me. Why are these guys, who seemingly so respect Green Day as artists, laughing their heads off at Green Day's own idea of where they wanted to take AI?

Good question. Don't get me started about Mayer.

Woot more time to save to go see it!

Here's some video from the Page to Stage discussions:

Where are parts One and Two? Are they on the Berkeley page?

Really?

I edited this.

That is a good question that you bring up. But I haven't watched the Page to Stage videos yet, so I don't know the context of the comments except from what I've read. I was trying to find parts one and two before I started watching.

From some of the comments here, I'm thinking some of you have had time to watch the new videos that have been posted (which I haven't). I'll have to get back to you on this one ...

I didn't get the feeling they were laughing with disrespect.....I kind of just thought they were laughing with amazement that anyone would consider making something American Idiot related that did not include what everyone agrees is exceptional music.

I don't think this has been posted, but for all you looking for glimpses of the musical, Berkeley Repertory has just fulfilled your wishes. They have released a 1 minute trailer of the musical featuring clips from it.

American Idiot Trailer

OOH, I love that trailer! Brings it all back to me.....sigh. Thanks!

I just got to watch the trailer, too, and I so agree. It made me start bouncing in my seat again just like I was doing during the show! :wub:

I didn't get the feeling they were laughing with disrespect.....I kind of just thought they were laughing with amazement that anyone would consider making something American Idiot related that did not include what everyone agrees is exceptional music.

I totally agree with you -- on both points.

But why not? When I hear that Green Day wanna take American Idiot, remove all the music, and do something else with it, I find that idea wildly exciting.

I saw that! 2 weeks longer! I can't believe it! It's great! :happy:

I wonder if this ups it's chances of going to NY...

Yeah, I hope it makes it to NY 'cause if it does, then hopefully, it will get a national tour, which is the only way I'll ever be able to see it. (Of course, it'll take a couple more years before a national tour would even reach Kentucky :( )

Yeah, I hope it makes it to NY 'cause if it does, then hopefully, it will get a national tour, which is the only way I'll ever be able to see it. (Of course, it'll take a couple more years before a national tour would even reach Kentucky :( )

New York would be amazing. My best friend who's a huge fan of Spring Awakening want to see it to so we'd definitely be there :rolleyes:

I didn't know it got extended AGAIN! That's fantastic! Hope more of you guys can see it, or see it again. :)

I still hope it comes to Broadway sometime in the summer. I'd 99% be able to see it. :happy:

I didn't know it got extended AGAIN! That's fantastic! Hope more of you guys can see it, or see it again. :)

I still hope it comes to Broadway sometime in the summer. I'd 99% be able to see it. :happy:

yeah got extended two more weeks!

which means....

Green Day will be at the Finale most likely and maybe one of those nights will be the cast recording!

Think about it! they arrive back in North AMerica November 13...finale is Nov 15...you do the math!

weeheeee

hmmm i WAS going to go on my 18th birthday on October 28th. but now i dont know if i should go on closing night instead?! help?

would it be worth it to go on closing night instead?

Guest Shangri-La
hmmm i WAS going to go on my 18th birthday on October 28th. but now i dont know if i should go on closing night instead?! help?

would it be worth it to go on closing night instead?

i'd definitely go for closing night!

could it be possible that this is a trailer for a DVD?

Equity actors rules would have to be worked out for a full DVD and that's probably not going to happen for a while, if at all. Equity rules say that only a minute or so of footage (sound or video) can be used in promotion unless otherwise worked out in agreement. At that point, I think that AFTRA and SAG rules would kick in then. Don't expect a DVD at this point, is all I'm saying.

i'd definitely go for closing night!

What she said.

Where are parts One and Two? Are they on the Berkeley page?

First off, MEGA THANK YOU on the t-shirt, it fits great

PART I

PART II

and also, they released two new segments:

PART VI

PART VII