American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Re: the hospital gown -- I totally was thinking the same thing! Maybe the folks in the front row had a different, um, view of things. :whistling:

I moved to NYC about 6 months after The Who's Tommy appeared, and that show hit it outta the park. Much more b'way than this, but it was innovative despite the familiar music and the psychedelic movie that preceeded it. Critics eat that kind of stuff up. I really think AI just needs to strengthen Tunney's storyline so it's balanced vs the other two and lose the cirque du silly choreography (and the associated costume) and it'll be good to go.

Back in May, I saw a killer re-staging of The Who's Tommy in Brooklyn. It was fabulous. I saw it the night before I saw Green Day in Central Park, haha, and I was a little hungover, too.

I agree with you about B'way. In addition, like I said, everything is closing and they do need to refresh the shows. Plus, Spring Awakening and Rock of Ages (which I haven't seen) has spurred on more "experimental" musical productions. With the amazing cast of AI, I am pretty sure that American Idiot will make it to B'way or slightly off-B'way. The Public would be ideal.

So glad to hear your take on the scenes. Can't wait to see AI!

Some of the press is seeing it tomorrow and will post reviews on Thursday.
This may not help, but the article here gives links to where some reviews will be posted on Thursday morning.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but there's a nice article HERE

This was the quote that I really liked...

Armstrong, who has been bonding with the cast over beers, praises the ensemble for nailing the punk zeitgeist. "This is as close to a rock concert as you can get," he said. "I get choked up every time I see it. This is the greatest thing that has ever happened in my career, you know — me, a kid from Rodeo."

Ah! So sweet.

Here's another "review" from a theatre message board. It's a decent reading of the show from the perspective of a regular theatregoer (and closer to how critics will receive the show) than a GD fan.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1772867

There are additional followup comments on that site.

Edited by pattifan

Here's another "review" from a theatre message board. It's a decent reading of the show from the perspective of a regular theatregoer (and closer to how critics will receive the show) than a GD fan.

That was a nice, thoughtful review. Let's hope the trend continues!

Thanks for all the recaps and photos, great stuff.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but there's a nice article HERE

This was the quote that I really liked...

Ah! So sweet.

That's so lovely. They must have felt so proud sitting watching it and they really deserve it. I'm just filled with happiness and pride for them, every time I hear about this it makes me smile!

My dad works at the news station Ch.2 and he scored two free tickets, so I'm going again tomorrow night! So excited!!

Could not be arsed to look back through this thread so apologies if already been posted....

http://www.nme.com/news/green-day/47297 report about it, plus GDC mentioned and member Pasalacqua91 quoted.

:D

I'd also appreciate it if we didn't discuss it here. We really don't support bootleg recordings of a theatrical performance, and discussing it here will only lead to people asking for the link.

why is it you wont lets us talk about the bootleg audio and put the link up but you guys have the official music videos to download there able to be bought from itunes and on dvd and all that

why is it you wont lets us talk about the bootleg audio and put the link up but you guys have the official music videos to download there able to be bought from itunes and on dvd and all that

If you mean the official music videos from Green Day's singles, that is different from a bootleg of a theatrical production (and from before that production even opened). Several of us have had emails from people associated with the production and/or the band asking us not to distribute the bootlegs. We always try to respect their wishes when we know what they are, so that's why we're discouraging it. I know it can be frustrating, but we do appreciate everyone trying to understand and cooperate.

now a Tony nod for Tony is what would make me the happiest fan alive.....

I think last night was Green Night or something.

Yes, last night was a show for all the sponsors (those with the "green") and a few journalist/critics. So the band was there of course.

They'll be there tonight too.

Too bad that they probably won't be there the night I go, on the 25th. I'm sure they will be headed off to Europe by then.

A friend of mine on FB said a friend of his saw the show last night and felt that GD had seen Rent and said, "We can do that." I told him that it was Spring Awakening and that I take every comment about rock musicals compared to either Rent or Spring Awakening with a grain of salt. It's the lazy man's comment, as far as I'm concerned.

But, the guy didn't really like it very much. Sadly. :(

I think I'm going to San Francisco today to try to win tickets for tonight's show. If I stop being lazy.

Where are they giving them away?

Where are they giving them away?

The Levis store in Union Square. Hooman from Alice 97.3 is giving them away every 20 minutes from 12-2PM.

No, not yet. They are arranging for a cast recording in the next few weeks. Hopefully they will put up some tunes when it's ready. PM me in a few weeks, I'll know more. I took Incendiary Girl with me this weekend since I got free tix, she dug it, too.

On Lizzie Borden - Is the cast recording officially happening? So awesome! I've been telling everyone I know to go see it.

On AI Opening - I'm so excited for everyone involved. I'm really hoping for some official NYC transfer news soon! :)

Edit: Might be a good idea to specify which show I'm talking about. :wink:

Edited by incendiary girl

On Lizzie Borden - Is the cast recording officially happening? So awesome! I've been telling everyone I know to go see it.

Don't know yet... will know more in a few weeks. I hope so.

I don't know if it's been posted but Kerrang magazine have a page on this, and Billie had said he hopes to bring the musical to New York and London.