American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

sallysimpson, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and review!

Funny, more than a few people have not liked the aerial scene. :lol:

I agree very much with your last paragraph regarding this show's potential for financial success. :)

Hi ya --

I'm glad you liked it. I was worried that some might be traumatized since it's not 100% positive. The older I get, the more critical I become. :/

And I really, really, really hated that aerial scene. Alot. Found it hard to believe that the guys gave their ok on that. But I'm not them. I actually sent an email to Berkeley Rep. I know they are still tweaking things and thought maybe they might appreciate a few observations. Who knows.

Regardless, it was very interesting to see how they translated the album to the stage. Once I saw it the first night, I had a few thoughts on how I might have altered the storylines to make them fit more with the music. And that's what truly brilliant art (text, music, visual) does -- it produces multiple responses and generates dialogue. Which is why I love me some Green Day.

i havn't been here for a few days & can't be bothered to go through so if this has been mentioned, apologies.

but nme.com mentions this site & J'net, thought i'd post.

again apologies if it's mentioned.

http://www.nme.com/news/green-day/47297

Lol woot! Nice find. Entertaining to see that someone considers us a resource for info about the show. I guess they weren't able to swing and interview with the cast or crew.

I'm excited to go back soon and see the changes that they've made since the first previews.

There are also a lot of new shots of the show that you can view in this slideshow from the San Jose Mercury News:

http://www.mercurynews.com/arts/ci_13334437?source=rss

I find it funny they labeled the actors wrong in some of the pictures. Apparently Tony Vincent is now Theo Stockman, and Theo Stockman is now Michael Esper.

Edited by MassHysteria

so will this production ever make it to the east coast? i want to see it.

There is still no official word on this. We'll have a better sense of if it is going to NYC on Friday, after the critics that are seeing the show Wednesday post their reviews

That aerial scene everyone keeps talking about sounds very Angels in America to me. Or Peter Pan.

Hmm... well, I'll see on the 25th. I'm so nervous for the reviews. Always nervewracking.

That aerial scene everyone keeps talking about sounds very Angels in America to me. Or Peter Pan.

Hmm... well, I'll see on the 25th. I'm so nervous for the reviews. Always nervewracking.

Some of the press is seeing it tomorrow and will post reviews on Thursday. The big dogs like the New York and LA Times are going on Wednesday though. They're the ones that will have the most influence on where this deal goes.

As lovely as it would be for the show to go to NY...um, I really need it to come to the Seattle area!!

That was an awesome find, that article that mentioned people from here - how cool!! I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this...it makes me so proud of Green Day!

As lovely as it would be for the show to go to NY...um, I really need it to come to the Seattle area!!

That was an awesome find, that article that mentioned people from here - how cool!! I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this...it makes me so proud of Green Day!

I think its present location is the closest its going to be to Seattle any time soon.

Some of the press is seeing it tomorrow and will post reviews on Thursday. The big dogs like the New York and LA Times are going on Wednesday though. They're the ones that will have the most influence on where this deal goes.

Ha, yeah, I know. I have an undergraduate degree in experimental theater from New York University. My friends, the creators of a rock musical called Lizzie Borden the Show, and I are waiting for a Times review to come out tomorrow. The show has great B'way potential. I absolutely know exactly what the cast of AI is going through right now. I'm sure it will be great!!! I am very positive about it. Michael Mayer and Tom Hulce are beloved on B'way and Green Day's music is excellent. I'm hoping for great things. I hope.

One other thing that AI has in its favor: a lot of musicals are closing on B'way and right now is the best time to get a new show to fill those B'way houses.

But, we'll see. I am confident.

Ha, yeah, I know. I have an undergraduate degree in experimental theater from New York University. My friends, the creators of a rock musical called Lizzie Borden the Show, and I are waiting for a Times review to come out tomorrow. The show has great B'way potential. I absolutely know exactly what the cast of AI is going through right now. I'm sure it will be great!!! I am very positive about it. Michael Mayer and Tom Hulce are beloved on B'way and Green Day's music is excellent. I'm hoping for great things. I hope.

One other thing that AI has in its favor: a lot of musicals are closing on B'way and right now is the best time to get a new show to fill those B'way houses.

Lol I know you know :wink: I was just providing that more for the less theater savvy members of the forum. Michael is indeed amazing, but until now I haven't been familiar with Tom.

omg a Lizzie Bordon musical? That sounds awesome. I'd love to see that.

Also all the links with the slideshows of pictures from AI are all so pretty.

I was in the first incarnation a loonnggg time ago. I don't want to go advertising here on the Green Day forum about it, but I've seen it three times this past weekend and it's gotten better than it was from 20 years ago and rave reviews... the music... amazing. Punk, rock, grunge, women, blood, murder, mayhem, live band...it rocks. http://lizziebordentheshow.com/

My worst nightmare right now is if both of these shows go head to head at the Tonys if they make it there. Seriously, I'm already having nightsweats about it. But I won't say anything else about it.

Lol I know you know :wink: I was just providing that more for the less theater savvy members of the forum. Michael is indeed amazing, but until now I haven't been familiar with Tom.

One word with Hulce: Amadeus! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/

haha, see that movie. It's great.

I was in the first incarnation a loonnggg time ago. I don't want to go advertising here on the Green Day forum about it, but I've seen it three times this past weekend and it's gotten better than it was from 20 years ago and rave reviews... the music... amazing. Punk, rock, grunge, women, blood, murder, mayhem, live band...it rocks. http://lizziebordentheshow.com/

My worst nightmare right now is if both of these shows go head to head at the Tonys if they make it there. Seriously, I'm already having nightsweats about it. But I won't say anything else about it.

Woah, that was awesome. I've been to the Lizzie Bordon museum a few times and I think her story is wicked interesting. I wish I could see it.

I'm guessing there is no recording of it, eh?

I think its present location is the closest its going to be to Seattle any time soon.

Are you *trying* to make me cry!?

:P

Lie to me, dammit! I'm attending the church of wishful thinking, ok!?

:wink:

No, not yet. They are arranging for a cast recording in the next few weeks. Hopefully they will put up some tunes when it's ready. PM me in a few weeks, I'll know more. I took Incendiary Girl with me this weekend since I got free tix, she dug it, too.

I'm happy to see that several photos have been posted of the show. That gives you guys who are unable to see it at least a little bit of the feel of the show.

Thinking good thoughts for the next couple of performances and hoping the critical reviews are positive.

And I really, really, really hated that aerial scene. Alot. Found it hard to believe that the guys gave their ok on that. But I'm not them. I actually sent an email to Berkeley Rep. I know they are still tweaking things and thought maybe they might appreciate a few observations. Who knows.

I've been musing over my feelings about the aerial scene.

I think at the time when I was watching it on the first night that I was impressed with it simply because of the logistics of getting the characters to the right spots when they were suppposed to be, e.g, Tunny landing back on his hospital cot or the ones of his fellow injured soldiers. As far as its relevance to the story and the feel of the rest of the show, I can see why some people would find it kind of silly. I did wonder myself if Tunny's hospital gown was going to fly up during that part!

:lol:

I'm happy to see that several photos have been posted of the show. That gives you guys who are unable to see it at least a little bit of the feel of the show.

Indeed, these photos are wonderful! I'm betting we'll see even more in the next few days.

Re: the hospital gown -- I totally was thinking the same thing! Maybe the folks in the front row had a different, um, view of things. :whistling:

I suspect it will make it to broadway -- this is much better than alot of the half-assed productions I've seen that hung around for years like a bad smell (eg, Mama Mia, Grease - repeatedly). If Beauty and the Beast can last for eons (that show just about killed me -- love paying $100 dollars to see a show IDENTICAL to the video I'm compelled to watch with my niece :mad: ), then certainly this has at least a year's worth of performances -- my question is whether it will be able to run long enough to break even. Maybe the best place for it would be the Public and then a transfer to B'way if the buzz is good (a la Rent).

I moved to NYC about 6 months after The Who's Tommy appeared, and that show hit it outta the park. Much more b'way than this, but it was innovative despite the familiar music and the psychedelic movie that preceeded it. Critics eat that kind of stuff up. I really think AI just needs to strengthen Tunney's storyline so it's balanced vs the other two and lose the cirque du silly choreography (and the associated costume) and it'll be good to go.

Plus it's only 90 minutes without an intermission. I LOVE those kind of shows. Unless you're last name is O'Neill, Williams, Stoppard or Shakespeare, it's rare that I can justify anything longer than a 2 hour B'way commitment.

Edited by sallysimpson