American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

So people who have seen it....

Is it worth me totally wiping out my entire bank account to go see it?

:D

because I'm considering it....

I just don't know! I want to see it so bad. :/

Suggestions?

Several of us are in this!

Hahaha. You can see me at 1:32. I'm the girl with the short brown hair signing the board. :D

so im going to be in the area for a concert on the 16th- which is press night. do you guys think it would be worth it to stop by Berkeley Rep after/before the concert to try and meet some of the cast and stuff? or do would they not be doing that sort of thing then? also, what time does it usually end?

thanks

Heh. I was trying to go press night also. Umm the play is like 85 min. long and starts at 8. Afterward people mingle around the courtyard and stuff like that. You could probably get in. After the show is over the doors are wide open and they don't check tickets.

Heh. I was trying to go press night also. Umm the play is like 85 min. long and starts at 8. Afterward people mingle around the courtyard and stuff like that. You could probably get in. After the show is over the doors are wide open and they don't check tickets.

cool thanks :thumbsup:

i might see if people are still hanging out after then concert then.

So people who have seen it....

Is it worth me totally wiping out my entire bank account to go see it?

:D

because I'm considering it....

I just don't know! I want to see it so bad. :/

Suggestions?

Well, really, that's a call only you can make. I thought it was magic and wonderful, but not everyone would have the same impression. I may not be that objective. So, it's really hard to say how you would feel if you did that. Sorry I can't be of more help :(.

Well, really, that's a call only you can make. I thought it was magic and wonderful, but not everyone would have the same impression. I may not be that objective. So, it's really hard to say how you would feel if you did that. Sorry I can't be of more help :(.

No that was good advice. :thanks:

Congrats on being able to go, I'm glad it was a great experience for you!! :D

I entered the contest earlier and I just wanted to wish everyone who entered good luck. Also, I'm really excited because I just bought a ticket for myself and my amazing girlfriend (Iamtheminority) to the musical on 10/22 and 21st birthday is on 10/19, so this time around I will get to try a Letterbomb or St. Jimmy and all the drinks they have lol. :)

I entered the contest earlier and I just wanted to wish everyone who entered good luck. Also, I'm really excited because I just bought a ticket for myself and my amazing girlfriend (Iamtheminority) to the musical on 10/22 and 21st birthday is on 10/19, so this time around I will get to try a Letterbomb or St. Jimmy and all the drinks they have lol. :)

I don't mean to be mean or anything, I'm just curious, but why did you enter to win tickets when you already have tickets?

I don't mean to be mean or anything, I'm just curious, but why did you enter to win tickets when you already have tickets?

because I can't afford the tickets I just bought in the first place being a broke college-kid and I'm hoping I win the contest or at least get runner-up because they refund the tickets I bought and if you win the grand prize you get tons of prizes, which would be legit.

Just so you don't think I'm some jerk lol this is from the idiot club:

"Buy your American Idiot tickets today—don’t worry, if you win the contest, Berkeley Rep will refund you the ticket cost. What are you waiting for? Berkeley Rep wants you to rock."

I wish they would do a 'world tour' of this.

I would loooooooooooooooove to see this. : (

yea, i´m really depressed cause i can´t see it

No that was good advice. :thanks:

Congrats on being able to go, I'm glad it was a great experience for you!! :D

Be sure to let us know what you decide :).

Loudness is predictable. If it moves to a larger house, hopefully this can be corrected. Berkeley Rep seems to be too small for a band, but I have never been in the theater and won't be seeing it til the end of the month.

I can understand where from his perspective the characters might just seem like drug addicts. Maybe there isn't enough emphasis on what made them become drug addicts... The first moments of the show, infusing the characters with an investment for non-GD fans is very important. But on the whole this first person "liked" it, it's just not his type of musical. It's a good sign that he wants to see it again, to see if any adjustments are made with the script, and whether the show becomes more rich and deep in regards to investing the audience with the characters and instilling more of why these characters are the way they are, i.e., life, the world, whatever.

Gack, I can't wait to see this.

Loudness is predictable. If it moves to a larger house, hopefully this can be corrected. Berkeley Rep seems to be too small for a band, but I have never been in the theater and won't be seeing it til the end of the month.

I can understand where from his perspective the characters might just seem like drug addicts. Maybe there isn't enough emphasis on what made them become drug addicts... The first moments of the show, infusing the characters with an investment for non-GD fans is very important. But on the whole this first person "liked" it, it's just not his type of musical. It's a good sign that he wants to see it again, to see if any adjustments are made with the script, and whether the show becomes more rich and deep in regards to investing the audience with the characters and instilling more of why these characters are the way they are, i.e., life, the world, whatever.

Gack, I can't wait to see this.

I didn't think it was too loud at all - but then I'm used to Green Day concerts. I was able to understand all the singers quite clearly, though, so that tells me the band really wasn't too loud ... IMO.

I didn't think it was too loud at all - but then I'm used to Green Day concerts. I was able to understand all the singers quite clearly, though, so that tells me the band really wasn't too loud ... IMO.

I didn't have a problem understanding them either, but then again we all know the words, and are used to deciphering Billie-mumbles.

I didn't have a problem understanding them either, but then again we all know the words, and are used to deciphering Billie-mumbles.

That's true, but even when words were altered here and there, I could understand them clearly. Even when two songs were being sung at once, I could still understand them - and I'm not usually that good at hearing things really well when there are lots of audio inputs (instruments, voices, audience noises, etc.). But, again, it's just my opinion that the loudness wasn't a problem. Different people have different preferences.

Right, you are used to them. A lot of audiences aren't. And I've read a few people here and there say they heard audience members complain about the loudness of the band. But, like I said, if it moves into a bigger house, this will be "resolved."

I saw a Wooster Group production with Wilhem Dafoe once of the Hairy Ape, which was intentionally super loud and miked to 11, there wasn't a band, just sound effects... seriously and the theater fell down shortly after the play closed (it was an old B'way house anyway), but I always chuckle to myself that the show was so loud that it made the theater fall down... anyway...

I just can already tell that this is going to be a "sticking point" for these curmudgeonly critics. Gack, I hate critics, and I have a good friend who is the head one for Time Out New York. He's a good guy, but he's still a critic!

Interesting comments about people saying the show was "too loud." I didn't think it was at all. Then again, I don't even wear earplugs for GD concerts, so I suppose I am less bothered by loud music than many. It's all perspective; my husband commented later that he thought it was very loud, although it didn't bother him. I just thought it was "normal!" :lol:

Another review from a theater fan on BroadwayWorld.com

I attended the 8pm show last night, and I think it's fair to say that I was really, really excited about it -- with this cast and Michael Mayer at the directing helm, I had pretty high expectations for American Idiot.

For the most part, I wasn't let down. I'm not really sure that the show as it stands right now is Broadway-worthy, but it's still in previews and certainly, the potential is there.

First, the things I loved:

- The cast. American Idiot undoubtedly has an ensemble cast, and for good reason. Every single person on stage had AMAZING energy throughout the show, and there wasn't a faulty voice among them. I was blown away from everyone's performance. The only person not on stage last night was Theo Stockman, whose parts were covered by Gerard Canonico. Tony Vincent's part must have literally been written for him, because the high notes he hits are just perfect for his voice, and the sounds throughout the show manage to maintain a great balance of rock and pure musicality.

- The set. I loved the set -- it was innovative, interactive, and engaging. Definitely had a Spring Awakening feel to it. My one complaint (and this applies to the show in general) was that it felt somehow more New York than San Francisco, which is where the show is supposed to be set. We got hints (like a character wearing an "I Hella <3 Oakland" shirt) but overall, I think that if I were watching the show on Broadway, I'd assume that Johnny escaped surburbia to the Big Apple, not SF.

- The choreography. It was rough at times (and it's still a preview, so that's to be expected) but when it was on, it was ON. Particularly a scene by Christina Sajous and Matt Caplan in which they are both extended above the stage -- they were both SO graceful, and made the dance-in-the-air look seamless and effortless. Not to mention the fact that their voices hardly seemed effected at all as they were spinning around in the air.

If I were to pinpoint the show's major flaw, it would definitely be the story. Right now, the show runs at 85 minutes without an intermission. It's not until a good 15 minutes into the show that you have any real idea what's going on -- it's fun to watch and the music is gorgeous, so it's not a HUGE problem, except for the fact that you never really get invested in any of the show's characters. There is no RENT/Spring Awakening moment of tear-jerking emotion in this show. In fact, the story is so scattered and there are so many things going on at once, it doesn't really feel like a story at all.

If the show's going to make it to Broadway, I really think that they need to extend the book and give it more of a script -- give the show a proper intermission and make it two acts. It's fine for a show to be told completely in song, but in cases like RENT or Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, those songs were written to tell the story of the show. In American Idiot's case, they need to add the story to the songs, and that's going to require a book.

I will say that the audience seemed to love the show, both young and old alike. I definitely plan on going back again during the proper run!

Sad to hear there was no Theo last night, but I'm glad Gerard was picked to cover for him!