American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

:) you bet! he is so appreciative of your support and is getting daily updates on all of your comments-- but, please tell him yourself, won't you? whether by meeting him after the show, or by dropping him a message (links below). positive feedback to encourage these cast members on is so important at this stage. ESPECIALLY so from the green day fans.

i just want to pick up on something you said in a previous post that tony 'sorta avoids people' - you've totally got him wrong there. on one preview nite i happen to know that he had a meeting with a friend post show so had to rush off, but if he doesn't need to be somewhere else, he is ALWAYS happy to meet fans--BUT, it's upto you to approach him. he isn't arrogant or self absorbed and so won't hang around 'waiting' for people to come up to him. he is the most approachable, sweet natured, kind, warm, gentle, articulate, faithful, funny, inspirational, motivational guy i know, and he gives of himself freely and humbly. i'd love for you all to meet him and share your thoughts about the show with him, so, if you have the chance, go tap him on the shoulder and say hi, and tell him i sent ya! ;). and if anyone would give him a hug from me, that would be cool too :).

-ingrid

Well this makes me happy to hear! I will definitely try to say hi to him at the next show I attend! I'll also be sure to let him know with a comment on Facebook. I had a feeling something wasn't adding up with this, since he has said hi to me a few times before in Facebook chat, and it would be odd if he talked on there, but not in real life.

:) you bet! he is so appreciative of your support and is getting daily updates on all of your comments-- but, please tell him yourself, won't you? whether by meeting him after the show, or by dropping him a message (links below). positive feedback to encourage these cast members on is so important at this stage. ESPECIALLY so from the green day fans.

i just want to pick up on something you said in a previous post that tony 'sorta avoids people' - you've totally got him wrong there. on one preview nite i happen to know that he had a meeting with a friend post show so had to rush off, but if he doesn't need to be somewhere else, he is ALWAYS happy to meet fans--BUT, it's upto you to approach him. he isn't arrogant or self absorbed and so won't hang around 'waiting' for people to come up to him. he is the most approachable, sweet natured, kind, warm, gentle, articulate, faithful, funny, inspirational, motivational guy i know, and he gives of himself freely and humbly. i'd love for you all to meet him and share your thoughts about the show with him, so, if you have the chance, go tap him on the shoulder and say hi, and tell him i sent ya! ;). and if anyone would give him a hug from me, that would be cool too :).

-ingrid

Ingrid, I did tag Tony in my recap on facebook, so hopefully he'll read it. However, what I'd really like him to read is the review I'm writing for the Green Day Authority site. It's more like a review than a recap of the show. I have quite a bit to say about Tony's incredible performance!

Ingrid, I did tag Tony in my recap on facebook, so hopefully he'll read it. However, what I'd really like him to read is the review I'm writing for the Green Day Authority site. It's more like a review than a recap of the show. I have quite a bit to say about Tony's incredible performance!

GREAT! can you link me to it? i'd love to read (and i'll definitely make him aware of it also) :)

I just thought I'd share this glowing review that one person wrote on the BroadwayWorld.com forum:

Good to know theater fans are liking it too.

*Contains Spoilers:*

Be warned, this is kind of long and rambling, as I try to parse out all my thoughts on the show.

For those of you who have the chance to see this show out in Berkeley, DO SO NOW. I was fortunate enough to snag front-row, dead center seats at the last minute for Sunday?s preview, and I am so glad I did. With Passing Strange and the soon-to-open In The Next Room (The Vibrator Play) under their belt, I can?t imagine that this won?t transfer to Broadway, where I can easily see it becoming the next hot ticket.

American Idiot tells the story of three friends (John Gallagher Jr., Michael Esper, Matt Caplan) in suburbia at the beginning of the Bush's second term. Facing a general sense of ennui and need to get out and do something with themselves, they go in search of that something. Caplan's character ends up joining the army, Esper has to stay home in suburbia when he learns his girlfriend is expecting, and Gallagher hits up The City in search of fun, love, and drugs. Their intertwined stories are told through the entire American Idiot album, along with some unpublished material and a few songs from 21st Century Breakdown. There's no dialogue, save for some brief monologues by John Gallagher Jr's character ("Johnny").

Also, having seen both Glee and Taking Woodstock in the past week, I think John Gallagher Jr. has the most potential of his Spring Awakening co-stars. As a quirky a-typical leading man, he's the perfect choice to embody the spirit of Green Day's music, able to be both an engaging lead you want to invest in, but also able to be a realistic, rebellious everyman.

Michael Mayer has done a wonderful job weaving the songs, the sparse dialogue, and the plot together for a one-act, 88-minute show that plays like an epic music video (and I say that in a good way). There are definite similarities to Spring Awakening: a young couple copulates on a moving platform, the chorus does jerky movements reminiscient of the Supercalifragilistic dance on meth, but without a clunky book to interrupt the action (as I felt was the case in Spring Awakening), the result is a seamless stream of montages and movements that takes us between the three stories.

The program notes call the set the most technically advanced set Berkeley Rep has ever done, and as soon as the curtain rose, I could see why. The set itself is a large, industrial space with a loading door and scaffolding, with every surface wallpapered by political and popculture posters circa 2004. And then inset within the walls are several dozen TV screens, and when the curtain goes up they're playing rapid-fire montages of the Iraq War, Family Guy, news broadcasts, commercials, and then there's a perfect moment when the images all fall into sync: I can't help but think the inspiration came from the opening lyric of "One nation controlled by the media/Information age of hysteria."

I wish I was more familiar with the album, so I could elaborate more on how the songs were used, so if you have a burning question, PM me and I'll try to remember. But I will say that the highlight for me was "Wake Me Up When September Ends", which is the somewhat 11-o-clock number, and has been beautifully re-orchestrated and rearranged for the three leads as they prepare to reunite, and after you've been witnessing their journey, it becomes this heart-breaking realization of having to grow up and move on with your life.

That in essence is what makes American Idiot succeed where so many other jukebox musicals fail. Because it was written with the intent of having a through-line, rather than having a through-line thrust upon it, putting the musical stories of these songs on stage together connects all the dots and drives home the narrative.

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage...7&boardid=0

GREAT! can you link me to it? i'd love to read (and i'll definitely make him aware of it also) :)

The review isn't published yet, but I'll link you to it as soon as it is. The recap is in this thread somewhere - I just posted it yesterday.

I'll let you know as soon as the review is out there.

What a wonderful recap J'net!

Just a clarification about one thing:

***Boulevard of Broken Dreams

By the end of the song, the ensemble was there singing with him. It was beautifully done. Some sign language was incorporated into the chorus, and I found that enriched the experience (for me, at least).

It's not formal

sign language

they are doing. For those of you unfamiliar with the brilliant choreographer Steven Hoggett, he was the associate director as well as choreographer of the National Theatre of Scotland's play "Black Watch". In this clip, you can see actors in that show miming letters from home, which is similar to that they are doing in "American Idiot".

7:40 into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_ZgKow7mI

and this trailer for "Black Watch" gives you another taste of the movement employed in "American Idiot"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Psyh-Zmzc

Edited by pattifan

-ingrid

I concur.

I've actually emailed Tony a few times on Facebook and he was always very open and friendly.

I just thought I'd share this glowing review that one person wrote on the BroadwayWorld.com forum:

Good to know theater fans are liking it too.

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage...7&boardid=0

I'm so happy to read that! It's really good to hear another perspective. I also like the writer's certainty that this show is bound for Broadway.

What a wonderful recap J'net!

Just a clarification about one thing:

It's not formal

sign language

they are doing. For those of you unfamiliar with the brilliant choreographer Steven Hoggett, he was the associate director as well as choreographer of the National Theatre of Scotland's play "Black Watch". In this clip, you can see actors in that show miming letters from home, which is similar to that they are doing in "American Idiot".

7:40 into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_ZgKow7mI

and this trailer for "Black Watch" gives you another taste of the movement employed in "American Idiot"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Psyh-Zmzc

It's interesting that you bring that up, because I had a long discussion about this with one of the actors. I agree that it's not formal sign language (and I don't think this is enough of a spoiler for anyone that we need to keep it within spoiler tags). However, in Boulevard, they are using signs from American Sign Language and what they're signing makes sense (though it is somewhat stylized to fit the music as well). I spoke to Ben Thompson, one of the ensemble members, who knows sign language from his work with Deaf West (he performed in Big River). He said that Steven asked them all to reach back to the saddest moment they could remember in their lives to tap the emotions they needed for that song. Ben came up with the signs for Boulevard, which basically say,

can't live dark long-time without her

using actual ASL signs.

In 21 Guns, what they're doing is more like mime/made up hand signals. That makes sense, too, because signing "21 guns" would be confusing for the audience (the ASL sign for 21 looks almost like a sign for the word "gun").

Also, in a few other songs, there are mimed hand signals here and there, but those are the two songs that make the most use of it.

I'm pleased to find someone else who's interested in this part - I'm usually the only person who gets excited about the sign language (my daughter's deaf, and we use sign language at home). I find that it can greatly enrich the performance of a show - especially a musical!

Thanks, J'net, for clarifying about sign language. I don't sign but the movements didn't seem like the real thing - interesting that there is real ASL mixed in!

For people looking for any shred of "American Idiot" related info, there is a "Spring Awakening" fan site. Registration is required so I'm not sure if you can jump to this page so I'll just paste here a fan's encounter with John Gallagher Jr, who plays "Johnny" in the show.

So.....

I am officially in love with this man! He is so sweet, and took the time to greet every single fan after the show, and took pictures with tons of them(I'll post mine!) and signed so many frickin programs I couldn't believe! If you had to wait more than five minutes, he would personally apologize, and put his hand on your shoulder and smile at you and thank you for waiting! He was so genuine, and friendly, and seems really and truly grateful for his success....and the boy deserves it! He was so good last night! I <3 John Gallagher Jr!

for people looking for any shred of "American Idiot" related info, there is a "Spring Awakening" fan site. Registration is required so I'm not sure if you can jump to this page so I'll just paste here a fan's encounter with John Gallagher Jr, who plays "Johnny" in the show.

So.....

I am officially in love with this man! He is so sweet, and took the time to greet every single fan after the show, and took pictures with tons of them(I'll post mine!) and signed so many frickin programs I couldn't believe! If you had to wait more than five minutes, he would personally apologize, and put his hand on your shoulder and smile at you and thank you for waiting! He was so genuine, and friendly, and seems really and truly grateful for his success....and the boy deserves it! He was so good last night! I <3 John Gallagher Jr!

I completely agree with this statement! As J'Net and Mikey heard me babble about many times, he was so nice to me every time I talked to him, which was all four days of our trip (Me and Mikey ran into him at the Berkeley BART by pure coincidence, and we witnessed him kindly take the time to tune a guitar for one of the street performers there).

Christina Sajous is also like this, and she is a real sweetheart, always ready with a smile and a hug! And J'net has said many glowing things about Ben Thompson, who did seem like a great guy.

Gerard Canonico told me he used to surf the forums researching all he could find about Green Day, and that it has been his favorite band his whole life. He even modeled his own drum set after Tre's!

I will keep saying it again and again, this cast is really impressive and they are down to earth. Talking to them is just as fun as watching the show, so be sure to do so, and don't be shy!

I'm thinking those of you who have facebook and aren't seeing it may have some odd security setting that's keeping you from seeing it. No one's ever had this problem with my recaps before, and I've been doing them this way for a while. Anyway, my facebook is J'net Newton, so feel free to friend me if you'd rather read it there. Otherwise, here goes >>>

Great recap J'net, thanks! :D

Just Received this email:

Today only, Idiot Club members have online priority access to the best seats for the hottest ticket in the San Francisco Bay Area – Green Day’s stage version of American Idiot, enjoying its world premiere at the Tony Award-winning Berkeley Repertory Theatre. Berkeley Rep has added three weeks of performances to meet the overwhelming demand for tickets. American Idiot now has additional performances October 13 through November 1. Berkeley Rep is announcing the added performances to the general public tomorrow, and opening up its phone and online sales. You can purchase tickets to these added performances today, but only online. For info, video, photos, and tickets, click here.

In addition to getting the leg up on all the best seats to our 24 added performances, Idiot Club members have the opportunity to win tickets (and more!) to this groundbreaking show.

Send an email to contest@berkeleyrep.org by MIDNIGHT tonight explaining in 50 words or less why you’re stoked about Berkeley Rep’s stage version of Green Day’s American Idiot and you will be entered to win the grand prize American Idiot ticket package. The package includes a pair of premium tickets to see the show on a day of your choosing, a VIP pass, food and drink at our lobby café, copies of the American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown CD’s, a Berkeley Rep t-shirt, and a limited edition American Idiot poster and tote bag. If that’s not motivation enough, one lucky runner-up will get two tickets to the show, minus the swag. Be sure to send us all your contact info (name, address, phone number, email) or you will be disqualified. This offer is subject to availability. American Idiot performs in Berkeley, CA now—Nov 1. You will be responsible for your own travel arrangements. The winners’ names will be drawn from all entrants Wednesday morning, and the winner will be notified by 1pm on September 9th by a contact from Berkley Rep.

The review isn't published yet, but I'll link you to it as soon as it is. The recap is in this thread somewhere - I just posted it yesterday.

I'll let you know as soon as the review is out there.

that would be great :). i run the official tv fan site (tonyvincentworld.com) so wonder if we could put your review there too? would that be ok? (the site is kinda off it's legs a bit right now, with a re-vamp, but will be up and running properly soon soon!)

Several of us are in this!

Y'all are so damn lucky to have been able to see this. This is the one time in awhile I've wished I'd been able to travel to the left coast. Hopin' the show does indeed make it to Broadway!

Thanks, J'net, for clarifying about sign language. I don't sign but the movements didn't seem like the real thing - interesting that there is real ASL mixed in!

For people looking for any shred of "American Idiot" related info, there is a "Spring Awakening" fan site. Registration is required so I'm not sure if you can jump to this page so I'll just paste here a fan's encounter with John Gallagher Jr, who plays "Johnny" in the show.

Sure - I'm always glad to discuss this topic. One reason it doesn't seem real (in BoBD) is because it's so slow. I've never seen a deaf person sign so slowly. As a matter of fact, it's usually all my eyes can do to keep up with them! :lol: But for the song, it has to become part of the rhythm, so that's why it seems to be in slow motion. Which, now that I think about it, is a really effective technique for conveying the sadness of the song.

Today only, Idiot Club members have online priority access to the best seats for the hottest ticket in the San Francisco Bay Area – Green Day’s stage version of American Idiot, enjoying its world premiere at the Tony Award-winning Berkeley Repertory Theatre. Berkeley Rep has added three weeks of performances to meet the overwhelming demand for tickets. American Idiot now has additional performances October 13 through November 1. Berkeley Rep is announcing the added performances to the general public tomorrow, and opening up its phone and online sales. You can purchase tickets to these added performances today, but only online. For info, video, photos, and tickets, click here.

In addition to getting the leg up on all the best seats to our 24 added performances, Idiot Club members have the opportunity to win tickets (and more!) to this groundbreaking show.

Send an email to contest@berkeleyrep.org by MIDNIGHT tonight explaining in 50 words or less why you’re stoked about Berkeley Rep’s stage version of Green Day’s American Idiot and you will be entered to win the grand prize American Idiot ticket package. The package includes a pair of premium tickets to see the show on a day of your choosing, a VIP pass, food and drink at our lobby café, copies of the American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown CD’s, a Berkeley Rep t-shirt, and a limited edition American Idiot poster and tote bag. If that’s not motivation enough, one lucky runner-up will get two tickets to the show, minus the swag. Be sure to send us all your contact info (name, address, phone number, email) or you will be disqualified. This offer is subject to availability. American Idiot performs in Berkeley, CA now—Nov 1. You will be responsible for your own travel arrangements. The winners’ names will be drawn from all entrants Wednesday morning, and the winner will be notified by 1pm on September 9th by a contact from Berkley Rep.

I was just about to put that, lol you save me a whole lot of copy and paste :D

that would be great :). i run the official tv fan site (tonyvincentworld.com) so wonder if we could put your review there too? would that be ok? (the site is kinda off it's legs a bit right now, with a re-vamp, but will be up and running properly soon soon!)

I'll discuss this with the GDA team - we have a meeting scheduled this week. I'm sure it will be okay to either post it with credit to GDA or just link to it. I'll let you know whatever we come up with.

I'll discuss this with the GDA team - we have a meeting scheduled this week. I'm sure it will be okay to either post it with credit to GDA or just link to it. I'll let you know whatever we come up with.

perfect :). you can reach me properly at admin@tonyvincentworld.com.

:thumbsup: I just entered this! *pulls out eyelash to blow and make a wish then crosses fingers*

Edited by punkrocker818

Hey, who's going to the show on sept. 11th?

Hi ya -- I'm flying in from NYC and seeing it on Sept 10 and 11.