American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I'll probably never see this musical due to not living in an awesome city, but I still don't want to read it and spoil myself :lol:! But thank you for posting! :D

Thank you so much for posting that recap for us. :) It had me in tears!

* I have to say my favorite part of that whole review was the tiny mention of Adrienne giving the longest standing ovation. :happy:

God. I hope to Hell someone's ballsy enough to sneak a camera into one of these shows. I'd fucking LOVE to see this. Thank you so fuckin' much for pasting the review here, J'net!

Awesome review J'net! :thumbsup: That just makes me want to see it even more!

The link worked fine for me, btw, but I was logged in...?

God. I hope to Hell someone's ballsy enough to sneak a camera into one of these shows. I'd fucking LOVE to see this. Thank you so fuckin' much for pasting the review here, J'net!

You're all welcome - I was glad to do it. I'd prefer to see a professional recording of the whole show on DVD. Actually, I'd prefer to go back and see it live again, but anyway, I know what you mean! :)

Awesome review J'net! :thumbsup: That just makes me want to see it even more!

The link worked fine for me, btw, but I was logged in...?

Hahaha - thanks Cheryl! I'm glad to know the link worked for someone!!!

Thanks J'net! Sounds like an amazing musical!

I'm hoping this goes to NYC! I really really want to see this!

Thanks everyone, and I hope you all get to see it!

My shitty day just got 10 times better- Thank you SO MUCH for that amazing review! It was so detailed, i felt like i was practically there with you! :lol:

Although i'm sure it was much more incredible in person. I really hope i get to see this someday, i know i'll be blown away!

Oh, and i added you on FB as well. :happy:

I also had the chance to see American Idiot on Saturday night, one of the "preview" shows. I won't indulge myself with another long recap when you already have such a well written one, but I will make a couple points that stand out.

1) Themed cocktails named after American Idiot characters. I had a "Whatsername" which was Absolut Ruby Red Vodka, Torani pomegranate syrup, and orange juice on the rocks. Also worth noting is the "Letterbomb", which is a jack-and-coke with a liquer-soaked cherry "bombed" into it.

2) St. Jimmy. The actor playing St. Jimmy was absolutely fantastic. His character is a Tyler Durden type drug pusher and all-around ominous, shadowy guy. He had an amazing voice and a great aesthtic (tattoos, black coat, great makeup and hair).

3) Best songs/choreography: "St. Jimmy", "Wake Me Up When September Ends", "Letterbomb". "St. Jimmy" is a rollicking introduction to the character of the same name, coming at a time when Johnny has no friends and is in need of an influence. He belts the song from a staircase above the stage and finally comes to stand at the center of eveything, his rightful place. "Wake Me Up When September Ends" starts with Johnny playing an acoustic guitar but escalates into a moment in which the entire ensemble is lying on the ground, and alternatingly "waking" to the refrain when it is sung. Very visually arresting. "Letterbomb" is Whatsername's angered retaliation song as Johnny sinks deeper into a drug pit with St. Jimmy. The ferocity of the actress coupled with a backing of strong women was one of the moments that most closely resembled being at a GD show and feeling Billy Joe's intensity.

~

We had front row tickets. It was amazing. I am sorry to everyone who won't make the Berkely run, but I truly hope it moves to Broadway and you all get to see it. I was satisfied, suprised, and mostly proud that the little band from Gilman had come full circle in such an epic, impressive way.

If anyone has questions or anything I can answer, by all means ask away.

I also had the chance to see American Idiot on Saturday night, one of the "preview" shows. I won't indulge myself with another long recap when you already have such a well written one, but I will make a couple points that stand out.

1) Themed cocktails named after American Idiot characters. I had a "Whatsername" which was Absolut Ruby Red Vodka, Torani pomegranate syrup, and orange juice on the rocks. Also worth noting is the "Letterbomb", which is a jack-and-coke with a liquer-soaked cherry "bombed" into it.

2) St. Jimmy. The actor playing St. Jimmy was absolutely fantastic. His character is a Tyler Durden type drug pusher and all-around ominous, shadowy guy. He had an amazing voice and a great aesthtic (tattoos, black coat, great makeup and hair).

3) Best songs/choreography: "St. Jimmy", "Wake Me Up When September Ends", "Letterbomb". "St. Jimmy" is a rollicking introduction to the character of the same name, coming at a time when Johnny has no friends and is in need of an influence. He belts the song from a staircase above the stage and finally comes to stand at the center of eveything, his rightful place. "Wake Me Up When September Ends" starts with Johnny playing an acoustic guitar but escalates into a moment in which the entire ensemble is lying on the ground, and alternatingly "waking" to the refrain when it is sung. Very visually arresting. "Letterbomb" is Whatsername's angered retaliation song as Johnny sinks deeper into a drug pit with St. Jimmy. The ferocity of the actress coupled with a backing of strong women was one of the moments that most closely resembled being at a GD show and feeling Billy Joe's intensity.

~

We had front row tickets. It was amazing. I am sorry to everyone who won't make the Berkely run, but I truly hope it moves to Broadway and you all get to see it. I was satisfied, suprised, and mostly proud that the little band from Gilman had come full circle in such an epic, impressive way.

If anyone has questions or anything I can answer, by all means ask away.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I enjoyed reading this - it's so amazing how much is packed into such a short time during the show. As the weeks go on, I'm sure more and more memories will come back to us. I agree with you about those three songs being standouts. And I like the way you've said Letterbomb most closely resembles the intensity of a Green Day show. That's a good way to express what I felt from that song!

Thanks for coming here and sharing your thoughts!

I would have loved to see the guys reaction to this play. Having all your work thrown at you must be a crazy feeling. I'd also be interested to see how Adrienne reacted to a choir singing love songs that were originally written for her. I think I'd find it a touch weird. And what about Joey! Haha, i wouldn't enjoy other people singing love songs by my dad for my mum. But that's just me.

I would have loved to see the guys reaction to this play. Having all your work thrown at you must be a crazy feeling. I'd also be interested to see how Adrienne reacted to a choir singing love songs that were originally written for her. I think I'd find it a touch weird. And what about Joey! Haha, i wouldn't enjoy other people singing love songs by my dad for my mum. But that's just me.

Well, the love songs in this show aren't quite like Worry Rock. There's no "Fucked without a kiss again." :lol: But I know what you mean. It might feel a bit awkward. I imagine though, that if you'd grown up with a dad like Billie, you'd be used to that kind of thing by now.

Well, the love songs in this show aren't quite like Worry Rock. There's no "Fucked without a kiss again." :lol: But I know what you mean. It might feel a bit awkward. I imagine though, that if you'd grown up with a dad like Billie, you'd be used to that kind of thing by now.

Oh for sure. I love how affectionate Billie is & their whole relationship gives me hope for my own love future. But if it was my own parents displaying all that, I know I'd have different opinions. :)

...I wonder what they think when they hear Worry Rock or Grouch? hahah

I really really really wish this was running through November so I could see it for my 16th birthday. That would be the greatest gift ever. Well, besides going to see Green Day in Vienna, Austria.... :rolleyes:

J'net, you did a great review! I got chills when I read about "Give Me Novocaine" since I was listening to the actual song at the same time. Did you notice Billie, Mike or Tre's reaction during the show?

I'm so proud of Green Day from the few songs I've heard so far from the musical. They're always giving us new reasons to love them everyday :wub:

Was sorta suprised in myself for loving the female-sung songs the most. I normally amn't really into female singers but this girl is just incredible. I feel like there was so much intensity and emotion. It's just amazing.

Wasn't really feeling some of the songs the lead did himself like American Idiot and stuff. I feel it lacked something for a musical and sounded more like a third-rate cover or something. Then again, I wasn't there so it's not the full effect.

but over all, absolutly incredible.

I'm so, so proud of Green Day. :wub:

Thursday is when I finally get to see it:) so I can't look or read at any of the postings...i won't be writing anything to do officially with the play until Sept 11..I need to sort out my feelings

Open invitation to meet me and my boyfriend in Berkeley Friday night at Anna's Jazz Island

in the mood for some Jazz music...I like all kinds of music...Jazz is one of them if done nicely...

..it will be after another Berkeley stroll...

if anyone wants to meet me for coffee on Sept 12...let me know before the event..

xxoo

I only come around these parts once in a blue moon, but I can't begin to express how excited your review made me for this whole project, J'net - big ups to you! From your word alone, I couldn't be anymore impressed by the American Idiot musical, and how it indeed transcends the scope and vision of the album. I wish for big things to come of it - not only because I wanna see it for myself (stuck here in podunk Michigan,) but so that it can reach the wide audience it deserves!

thank you all so much for your reviews! being that i'm in the uk, and not all that familiar with the american idiot album either, you've given me a fantastic insight into the show's plot, and into tony's role especially --guns, drugs, lipstick, the lot! thank you. i almost feel like i'm there. i'm insanely jealous, but so glad you're enjoying his interpretation of st. jimmy.

he's just the best!

-ingrid x

Edited by miss_ing

thank you all so much for your reviews! being that i'm in the uk, and not all that familiar with the american idiot album either, you've given me a fantastic insight into the show's plot, and into tony's role especially --guns, drugs, lipstick, the lot! thank you. i almost feel like i'm there. i'm insanely jealous, but so glad you're enjoying his interpretation of st. jimmy.

he's just the best!

-ingrid x

He is definitely one of the major highlights of the show, please make sure he knows how much we enjoy his interpretation of the character!

As Johnny says "St. Jimmy Rules!"

Did you notice Billie, Mike or Tre's reaction during the show?

I could hear general sounds of joy from Tre, but my eyes were to glued too the show to turn around and look at his reaction.

He had a companion – a slutty girlfriend – who carried his drumsticks until it was time for him to “play the shit out the drums.”

I believe the " slutty girlfriend" you mentioned in Rock N Roll Girlfriend is supposed to be Heather (I also posted this on your Facebook)

He is definitely one of the major highlights of the show, please make sure he knows how much we enjoy his interpretation of the character!

As Johnny says "St. Jimmy Rules!"

:) you bet! he is so appreciative of your support and is getting daily updates on all of your comments-- but, please tell him yourself, won't you? whether by meeting him after the show, or by dropping him a message (links below). positive feedback to encourage these cast members on is so important at this stage. ESPECIALLY so from the green day fans.

i just want to pick up on something you said in a previous post that tony 'sorta avoids people' - you've totally got him wrong there. on one preview nite i happen to know that he had a meeting with a friend post show so had to rush off, but if he doesn't need to be somewhere else, he is ALWAYS happy to meet fans--BUT, it's upto you to approach him. he isn't arrogant or self absorbed and so won't hang around 'waiting' for people to come up to him. he is the most approachable, sweet natured, kind, warm, gentle, articulate, faithful, funny, inspirational, motivational guy i know, and he gives of himself freely and humbly. i'd love for you all to meet him and share your thoughts about the show with him, so, if you have the chance, go tap him on the shoulder and say hi, and tell him i sent ya! ;). and if anyone would give him a hug from me, that would be cool too :).

-ingrid

Edited by miss_ing