American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

OMG.. Sounds fuckin' amazing guys!!!

:woot: I also loved the interpretation of 21 Guns (at least the 30 seconds I heard xD), but well, I looove musicals.. So, an American Idiot musical is like the ideal thing to me.. Hope I am able to see it somehow! :/

I'm so happy for you that went!

AND I Can't wait for more recraps..

... has performed in one of the same shows my daughter was in (Big River)...

NO WAY!!! I was the lead, Huck Finn, in a production of Big River!!! I doubt that it's the same one you're talking about, though.

All i can say is WOW.

That sounds fucking incredible!

I'm so jealous, I wish i could have been there. I'm sure i would have been blown away.

I can only imagine how amazing the show must have been, that 21 Guns clip sounded really impressive!

I reallllly hope this ends up touring.

& what a nice bonus the band was all there too!

Thanks everyone for posting recaps, sounds like such a great time!

I'm SO happy for you guys, you're so lucky :D

& sorry i'm ending every other sentence there with exclamation points! :lol:

Anyone hear if they're gonna release an original cast recording? I would totally buy it.

If it goes to Broadway, definitely. :)

I'm happy for the people who got to see it but I wish I was one of those people too. I hope they will release it in some kind of way so we can all see it

WOW. That's all I can say. It was absolutely AMAZING!!!!! BRILLIANT.

So I got to Berkeley Rep around 7:30 and went inside, they were selling cocktails called Jesus of Suburbia, St. Jimmy, Whatshername, and Letterbomb and that was freaking sweet. Right before I went to my seat, I saw Tre out in the lobby, and shook his hand. I said, "Hey Tre, It's great to meet you, I'm a huge fan." He looked right at me and said, "Thanks! Have fun!" By then my knees were weak. :D So, I get to my seat, I'm in the 6th row, center when all of a sudden, MIKE FUCKING DIRNT sits down two seats away from me!! My brother says "Hello" and starts a conversation with him. By now, my friend and I are FREAKING OUT!!! Mike then asks when we bought the tickets and I tell him sometime in May, and he goes, "Wow, I didn't even know they went on sale that early!"

Pretty soon Billie Joe walks out and sits exactly two rows behind me!!! My friend and I smile and wave and a bunch of people start asking for autographs.

Okay, so on to the play.

The cast was phenomenal. They opened with American Idiot and the set was fantastic. There were a bunch of tv screens in the backdrop and it looked really fucking cool.

The dancing was awesome, and the play sort of reminded me of "Rent" but it was even better!!

The crowd wooped and hollered after almost every song and gave a standing ovation after Homecoming was performed. They also gave another ovation at the end!

When everyone was leaving I went up to Jason White and said "Hi" and shook his hand. He said"thanks" and smilied.

Afterword everyone crowded around the stairs to see the cast members and some of them came out and said hello.

Adrienne was also there, as was Joey and Adrienne took pictures with some of the fans.

It was an amazing night. THere was such a great atmosphere and buzz in the whole area. I had such a great time.

:D : D :D

Sounds awesome!! So glad to hear everyone enjoyed it!

I'm happy for the people who got to see it but I wish I was one of those people too. I hope they will release it in some kind of way so we can all see it

This. :)

From what I´ve seen and read so far on FB and here, it sounds all bloody amazing! I´m really really happy for all of you. It´s great to hear they were there and weren´t afraid of getting so close to their fans and spending some time with them (well, that´s Green Day) :)

I can´t wait to hear all the details and to read all the recaps.

They better bring this over to Europe!

I'm jealous of everyone who went :(

I do hope they'll go on tour or make a DVD out of it, showing all the ideas behind it and the filmings as extras :D

We had to go get Liz's purse at Rudy's.

Now we're at the hotel.

Here's what I wrote on GDA...

Just to give a brief update ... I was expecting great things of this director and cast. Well, they completely blew my expectations out of the water. They more than did justice to Green Day's music. There are some songs that I will never hear the same way again (esp. Novacaine). Billie Joe, Adie, Mike, (I think Stella), Tre, Jason White, and more were all there sitting in the audience (Tre was right behind us and spoke to us). It was a magical night. I can't go to bed because I MUST right my recap. It's burning a hole in my brain. I was so proud of Green Day and what they've accomplished as I watched this show tonight.

I will be interested to hear the critical reactions of people who are not already familiar with Green Day's music. In my opinion, those of us who already know the music will see extra dimensions in this show that are not accessible to the "handicapped" people who are hearing it for the first time.

I hope to publish my recap this morning, but I may wait until I see the show again tonight just to confirm some details that aren't 100% clear in my memory.

To add a bit more to answer some of the comments above.

I felt sorry that all the band members were getting mobbed, so I didn't try to get to any of them. When Tre sat behind us, he was talking to the people next to him, and they said they'd been to the Sacramento show and thought it was great. He said ... "Yeah, that was a really intense show. You should ask her" (and pointed at me) "She's been to all our shows!" Then he shook my hand and I just said Hi and smiled. That was so sweet. I guess I know why he gave me the drum head now :). And, of course, I didn't go to the Sacramento show, though I would have loved to be there for that one.

I also thought St. Jimmy, Whatsername, Johnny and many other cast members were just outstanding.

My favorite moment of the evening was meeting one of the ensemble members who is from Tulsa OK ... has performed in one of the same shows my daughter was in (Big River) and knows sign language (because of performing in that show).

I did chat with Jason White because no one else was bothering him. I told him I love his slide guitar solo in Last Night on Earth. I said that's my favorite part of that song, and he smiled really sweetly and said, "Thank you ... that's my favorite, too."

What a night! I can't wait to post my recap, but I think I will confirm a few things at tomorrow night's show first.

Not to mention - so many awesome people there tonight. I felt like I knew half the audience personally!

sounds epic jnet. Thanks for sharing that. Can't wait for the rest.

How was my eyedaho?

My god!! I really wish i lived in the US now guys!!

all the same, I'm really pleased that you all had an amazing time last night, enjoyed reading your re-caps of the night :D

now lets just hope they decide to show this in the UK...

Extension for the show, which kicks off its world preem run today, has been prompted by record box office and "unprecedented demand for seats," per the Bay Area theater.

wonder if this means anything from the article in Variety.

Wow what an awesome night I am still at a loss of words over the show. It was totally amazing, I was lucky enough to buy an extra ticket from Paulina aka Apocalipstick and the big highlights I can remember was Billie Joe and Adrienne were sitting three rows in front of us and I saw Adrienne outside talking to people after the show but she was being mobbed so I really didnt get to say hi or anything. I saw Tre before the show started and I quickly said hi and shook his hand. I saw Jason White and Mike really quickly. I also met a lot of great people from the GDC including Zoe, Mikey, and Mass Hysteria plus I think I really surprised J'net when I saw her, she was really happy I was able to make it to the show.

Wow what an awesome night I am still at a loss of words over the show. It was totally amazing, I was lucky enough to buy an extra ticket from Paulina aka Apocalipstick and the big highlights I can remember was Billie Joe and Adrienne were sitting three rows in front of us and I saw Adrienne outside talking to people after the show but she was being mobbed so I really didnt get to say hi or anything. I saw Tre before the show started and I quickly said hi and shook his hand. I saw Jason White and Mike really quickly. I also met a lot of great people from the GDC including Zoe, Mikey, and Mass Hysteria plus I think I really surprised J'net when I saw her, she was really happy I was able to make it to the show.

so awesome you were able to make it!♥ Thankfully they had a representative from SAN JOSE at the show!

Extension for the show, which kicks off its world preem run today, has been prompted by record box office and "unprecedented demand for seats," per the Bay Area theater.

wonder if this means anything from the article in Variety.

I think they've said that if it is successful it will go world wide, I hope it happens!

It better be soon enough :wub:

I have a friend from Palestine and he LOVES it. Evertime we went to Berkeley together, he stopped by the restaurant. So it must be good :thumbsup: I never tried anything there though cause it looked kinda strange to me :lol:

[/offtopic]

Well thats awesome I am Palestinian as well so if he likes it than it must be good and worth the try its just so hard to compare to my moms cooking though :lol:. If we go there I am gonna have to get you to try some thing there even if its just the lamb or beef kebab, some hummous and some falafal you can never usually go wrong with any of those.

so awesome you were able to make it!♥ Thankfully they had a representative from SAN JOSE at the show!

Thanks Beth I was so happy I was able to make it too, it just wouldn't be right without the SAN JOSE man there

WOW. That's all I can say. It was absolutely AMAZING!!!!! BRILLIANT.

So I got to Berkeley Rep around 7:30 and went inside, they were selling cocktails called Jesus of Suburbia, St. Jimmy, Whatshername, and Letterbomb and that was freaking sweet. Right before I went to my seat, I saw Tre out in the lobby, and shook his hand. I said, "Hey Tre, It's great to meet you, I'm a huge fan." He looked right at me and said, "Thanks! Have fun!" By then my knees were weak. :D So, I get to my seat, I'm in the 6th row, center when all of a sudden, MIKE FUCKING DIRNT sits down two seats away from me!! My brother says "Hello" and starts a conversation with him. By now, my friend and I are FREAKING OUT!!! Mike then asks when we bought the tickets and I tell him sometime in May, and he goes, "Wow, I didn't even know they went on sale that early!"

Pretty soon Billie Joe walks out and sits exactly two rows behind me!!! My friend and I smile and wave and a bunch of people start asking for autographs.

Okay, so on to the play.

The cast was phenomenal. They opened with American Idiot and the set was fantastic. There were a bunch of tv screens in the backdrop and it looked really fucking cool.

The dancing was awesome, and the play sort of reminded me of "Rent" but it was even better!!

The crowd wooped and hollered after almost every song and gave a standing ovation after Homecoming was performed. They also gave another ovation at the end!

When everyone was leaving I went up to Jason White and said "Hi" and shook his hand. He said"thanks" and smilied.

Afterword everyone crowded around the stairs to see the cast members and some of them came out and said hello.

Adrienne was also there, as was Joey and Adrienne took pictures with some of the fans.

It was an amazing night. THere was such a great atmosphere and buzz in the whole area. I had such a great time.

:D : D :D

zsdlksñdjlk you're so lucky, i'm so jealous and you need to publish your review SOON

Additional songs not on AI that were worked into the musical:

Favorite Son

Too Much Too Soon

When It's Time (with WMUWSE intro)

OH MY FUCKIN FREAKING GOD!

I wish I could've been there (and I don't know why I thought an AI musical was a bad idea *slaps self*)

When I first listened to the vitamin string quarter playing the whole AI, I was like "OMG, it needs voices, but it's great... but ST jimmy IS too damn bizarre for me" xD Before that I was like "musical? REALLY? :ermm: "

I'm jealous of everyone who went :(

I do hope they'll go on tour or make a DVD out of it, showing all the ideas behind it and the filmings as extras :D

Please, Saint Meyer(?), make a DVD x3

this....

I need to get out of this country for this month and make it to California somehow >.<

Well thats awesome I am Palestinian as well so if he likes it than it must be good and worth the try its just so hard to compare to my moms cooking though :lol:. If we go there I am gonna have to get you to try some thing there even if its just the lamb or beef kebab, some hummous and some falafal you can never usually go wrong with any of those.

Haha, yeah, moms are still the best cooks :whistling:

You will have to drag me there. There´s a pizza restaurant right next to it and a crepe restaurant (I´m crepe addicted!) right around the corner!

But I might give it a try :thumbsup:

I´m happy for you that you got to go btw! I was surprised you didn´t get any ticket when they went on sale but it´s great that you got to go anyway!

I think of reading everything so far regarding this, this made the most happy. I'm so glad you were able to get to theater and see it!

And wow, sounds like it was just a fabulous night!