American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Okay this may sound, I don't know kind of stupid to ask but for those of us who LOVE Green Day and who don't live anywhere close to the Berkeley Theatre or California for that matter and really want to see this play, will we still be able to? I'm not one to go to plays normally and am not sure if people "bootleg" plays (lol) but will we be able to find this play when it starts on youtube or something? Professional DVD perhaps?

People bootleg plays and musicals all the time. I can almost guarantee you that, between the Green Day fan community and the theater community, there will at least be audio of the production in Berkeley. If not video.

More than likely there will be a cast album. Not a bootlegged one, but a cast album.

I've rarely seen a play or musical bootlegged, but that's me. They do tape them, but primarily for rehearsal and posterity. I can't even imagine someone in a play/musical theater holding a camera during the play. They are usually pretty strict about that, particularly here in NYC.

More than likely there will be a cast album. Not a bootlegged one, but a cast album.

I've rarely seen a play or musical bootlegged, but that's me. They do tape them, but primarily for rehearsal and posterity. I can't even imagine someone in a play/musical theater holding a camera during the play. They are usually pretty strict about that, particularly here in NYC.

well I hope there is a cast album:) because I want one

I would love to see a cast album come out of this. As for bootlegging, it's probably a little more common than most people think. I know there are quite a few floating around for most of the shows out there. I also saw someone attempting to bootleg the show I was at last night. It didn't work out very well for them, but they were definitely trying.

Note: I am not promoting bootlegging. I was just saying that it happens.

I own about 100 bootlegged theater productions on DVD, dating from the early 80s (admittedly bad VHS transfers) to the present, and know of thousands. Most shows that play on Broadway are filmed by bootleggers, with the exceptions being some straight plays where there isn't enough interest or productions with extremely watchful ushers. A lot of off-Broadway shows (e.g. Spring Awakening at the Atlantic) are videotaped as well. Most moderately high-profile musicals even regionally are audio bootlegged by someone -- the problem sometimes is getting whoever recorded it to release it.

I'm not bragging about this knowledge...honestly, I got out of the theater bootleg trade because I haven't watched half of what I have, but I just wanted to point out that bootlegging isn't exclusive to the music industry. I'm definitely hoping for an American Idiot cast recording, but I wouldn't give up hope on being able to see it. I don't know about at the Berkeley Rep (I know nothing about the logistics of the theater and how hard it would be to film there), but if it transfers to NYC, definitely.

I own about 100 bootlegged theater productions on DVD, dating from the early 80s (admittedly bad VHS transfers) to the present, and know of thousands. Most shows that play on Broadway are filmed by bootleggers, with the exceptions being some straight plays where there isn't enough interest or productions with extremely watchful ushers. A lot of off-Broadway shows (e.g. Spring Awakening at the Atlantic) are videotaped as well. Most moderately high-profile musicals even regionally are audio bootlegged by someone -- the problem sometimes is getting whoever recorded it to release it.

I'm not bragging about this knowledge...honestly, I got out of the theater bootleg trade because I haven't watched half of what I have, but I just wanted to point out that bootlegging isn't exclusive to the music industry. I'm definitely hoping for an American Idiot cast recording, but I wouldn't give up hope on being able to see it. I don't know about at the Berkeley Rep (I know nothing about the logistics of the theater and how hard it would be to film there), but if it transfers to NYC, definitely.

Wow, really? I had no idea and I studied theater for a long time! I find watching theater on tape/video/film to be one of the most boring prospects ever, so maybe that's why I never thought of a bootlegger system for live theater. Really, I hate watching theater in forms other than live. But, that's just me, and now I know! :) Thanks!

so I've been very ignorant about the whole musical thing, I wants to go but my first worries were the concerts

update me?

Wow, really? I had no idea and I studied theater for a long time! I find watching theater on tape/video/film to be one of the most boring prospects ever, so maybe that's why I never thought of a bootlegger system for live theater. Really, I hate watching theater in forms other than live. But, that's just me, and now I know! :) Thanks!

I only watch Theatre live ...because there is no other way of doing it...the fire the passion the interaction

and seeing the audience all excited... I have performed in musical theatre myself and as a performer...its really much more rewarding when there are full houses and lots of people come and see it and enjoy themselves and be part of the process...

I'm officially fucking going to this thing!!! I just got my vacation approved from work today and I'm booking my plane tickets this weekend! Get ready for another weekend of M1KEY J'NET!!! And Andres, you had better be going, I hear you're not sure right now. :mad:

I'm officially fucking going to this thing!!! I just got my vacation approved from work today and I'm booking my plane tickets this weekend! Get ready for another weekend of M1KEY J'NET!!! And Andres, you had better be going, I hear you're not sure right now. :mad:

MIKEY! am I going to miss you???

PFFFFFFFTTTTTT

well I am in California from Sept 10th to sept 17th

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

if anyone else is around ! I cannot get time off for the Sept 4th time...hmmph

HOWEVER....if you do stay a week in California!????? maybe????

Hahaha - I'm ready, but are YOU???

I've made my travel arrangements - I'll send you a PM on facebook with the details.

This production sounds really cool. I wish it wasn't all the way in California. :/

Hahaha - I'm ready, but are YOU???

I've made my travel arrangements - I'll send you a PM on facebook with the details.

J'net, have you booked a hotel yet? Would you mind sending me a PM?

http://blog.berkeleyrep.org/

August 17th blog is up!!!

talks a bit about the bands involvement in the Production and a bit about what they might be doing after the last

concert

drop a line on the blog ...to show your excitement:) I love this picture they use by the way:)

xxoo Suzanne