American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

That is a great interview. In what way is "Brad" an abusive stepfather though ?

Quoted my own earler post to lift out this question :)

Tony Vincent just wished me a happy birthday on Facebook! I can die happy now! He's such a sweetie!

I had the same reaction when he wished me happy birthday on mine! It was so nice of him!

I had the same reaction when he wished me happy birthday on mine! It was so nice of him!

Wait, what? Does he do that to all of his fans? O_o

Wait, what? Does he do that to all of his fans? O_o

Hate to break it to ya, but most of the time... yeah. Heh... He also used post on a person's wall when they friend requested him. :happy:

loved the new John interview. and I didn't know tony has a facebook... I think I'll friend request him :D he really was a standout performance for me, and the whole cast was fantastic so that's saying something...

Yes, that's it. However, Facebook caps personal pages at 5,000 friends so I don't know if he's accepting lately. You can try, though. :)

He better. I mean, he's in my profile pic xD

And then we had a mini convo going on my wall...it was so cute!

I said "Thank you so much! I saw AI on Broadway and all of y'all were fantastic!"

He says, "y'all??"

I said, "Hey! I go to school in Virginia, it's rubbing off on me!"

He probably saw that my hometown is Toronto and was a little confused.

It's so nice that despite how busy he is, he makes time for his fans!

Quoted my own earler post to lift out this question :)

I'm assuming Brad is an abusive stepfather in the sense that he verbally abuses Johnny.

There's one scene where Johnny says something along the lines of "remember when Brad said I would never amount to anything?"

Also there's the bit where Johnny talks about God skinning him alive and then he adds "or was it my step dad... Brad."

I haven't physically gone to see the musical but I've downloaded the bootleg and this is what I got from it. :)

i really don't get favourite son's role

First question, have you seen the show? If you have, it's easier to explain since you would know the visuals that go with the song.

Second question, what do you not get about it?

I'm assuming Brad is an abusive stepfather in the sense that he verbally abuses Johnny.

There's one scene where Johnny says something along the lines of "remember when Brad said I would never amount to anything?"

Also there's the bit where Johnny talks about God skinning him alive and then he adds "or was it my step dad... Brad."

I haven't physically gone to see the musical but I've downloaded the bootleg and this is what I got from it. :)

Of course, that must be it. I did the same, thought i had still missed something, but sadly enough, verbal abuse is abuse as well, isn't it ? =/

Well, verbal abuse is abuse.

But I don't think the whole "abusive stepfather" thing is a completely polished story of its own, it's probably just something that just is and is sometimes referenced to....so not exactly told how, when, what or why he was abusive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know what's said in all the letters/diary entries/dialogues between the songs, I'm not really basing this off anything but the songs and the just mentioned piece of diary entry I think it is?

Well, verbal abuse is abuse.

But I don't think the whole "abusive stepfather" thing is a completely polished story of its own, it's probably just something that just is and is sometimes referenced to....so not exactly told how, when, what or why he was abusive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know what's said in all the letters/diary entries/dialogues between the songs, I'm not really basing this off anything but the songs and the just mentioned piece of diary entry I think it is?

I am not going to deep into that either as it is not part of this story . I just like to analyse and investigate all and everything about the plot and characters of a show or play till "there is nothing left to analyse" :)

Edited by Dutch

I am not going to deep into that either as it is not part of this story . I just like to analyse and investigate all and everything about the plot and characters of a show or play till "there is nothing left to analyse" :)

Ahhh but that's the joy of their lyrics, some are so vague and open to interpretation

Ahhh but that's the joy of their lyrics, some are so vague and open to interpretation

Of course, but i don't want to run the risk of thinking to much about it while they might be all ready and analysed by the fans-since-Dookie ;)

Edited by Dutch

I see it like this (although this whole show is open to individual interpretation, which is an amazing and wonderful thing):

Tunny, despite leaving town with Johnny for what he thought would be an exciting new life, is still sort of wasting his life away in the city, sleeping all day and watching too much TV. He becomes entranced wiith the Favorite Son on TV, someone who is glamorous and larger and life and has beautiful women hanging all over him. He gets sucked into all that he thinks that stands for....when suddenly, the Favorite Son is exposed as GI Joe, representative of the military in general. Rather than turning away, he finds himself wanting to be part of all that. So, to me, the Favorite Son/Are We The Waiting scene is the transition for Tunny from slacker to soldier.

Just a couple of updates...

Ben had a spotlight at BroadwayWorld as Gypsy of the Month. A nice quote from Ben about Billie: "Billie Joe, in stature, he's not the tallest guy," says Thompson, "but I've never seen a bigger performer in my entire life. The way he can command a stage, it's like he flips a switch. He's down-to-earth but this big personality. You learn a lot watching performers like that." Read more about Ben here: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/GYPSY_OF_THE_MONTH_TK_TK_TK_20010101

The votes were counted and "American Idiot" won "Best Ensemble" from Broadway.com. Here's Joshua Henry accepting along with most of the cast: http://www.broadway.com/shows/american-idiot/buzz/152906/the-cast-of-american-idiot-thanks-their-groupies/

If you can make it out to the softball game tomorrow/today/Thursday, you definitely should. It's the cast vs. the crew, pretty much. It's "American Idiot" vs. Jujamcyn. It's a very serious match. :shifty: Also, Brian was chosen to represent the Idiots in the All-Star later in the day. The Idiots' game is at 12:30 and the all-star game is at 3:30. Information is here: http://www.broadwayshowleague.com/schedule.php

On July 18th, Johnny will be headlining a benefit concert at Ars Nova with Fran Sisco (aka Chase & Brian) opening for him. There's an after-party which DJ Theocracy (aka Theo) will be rocking the tunes. It's $75 and that includes the concert, the afterparty, and an open bar. I've seen all three separately and they're all amazing so together it's even more awesomeness. :thumbsup: More details here: https://www.ovationtix.com/trs/pe/8331875

Rebecca and Christina will be taking part of "Bombers Boomer Broadway Softball Classic" on July 19th. Tickets are $10. More information here: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/nyy/y2010/m06/d28/c11685152.jsp and http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ticketing/bombers_boomers_broadway_softball_classic.jsp

^thanks :)

Yeah, I recognize that, haha. My point was just sort of like, I don't think there's a clear outlined something about the stepfather. Of course it's nice to plot about it, what it means and is etc, but just like that there isn't a clear, objective truth. :)

Thank you for the updates, plaid! A question about softball (off-topic):

Is Hair still in the play-offs even though they closed? I see they're "playing" against Memphis on the 8th...

^thanks :)

Yeah, I recognize that, haha. My point was just sort of like, I don't think there's a clear outlined something about the stepfather. Of course it's nice to plot about it, what it means and is etc, but just like that there isn't a clear, objective truth. :)

Also, John Gallagher mentions it in an interview answer about what he has decided (with Michael Mayor and Billie Joe) about the background of his character. So it is not meant to be part of the plot :)

Thank you for the updates, plaid! A question about softball (off-topic):

Is Hair still in the play-offs even though they closed? I see they're "playing" against Memphis on the 8th...

I don't know... they could just have a BYE if there's no one to play for "Hair."