American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

To be amazed and awed. And maybe you'll even shed a few tears. It's an amazing show.

Enjoy!!

I did go to see AI last night and boy am I glad I went. I was hesitating going as Ive seen it once already (in previews with the lovely Jnet and Dawn) but the lure of being able to hear that music live again was too strong for me to resist and Im glad I didnt!

The first time I saw it I suppose I was overwhelmed by the entire production, this time I settled in and could take it all in a lot easier. I sat dead center orchestra which also made a significant difference. Last time I sat all the way on the right on the opposite side of "Will's couch" and by sitting way over there I was really unable to see the amazingness of Esper's "couch acting". I also didnt realize he is literally on the stage the entire show. He is running his own story the entire time on stage and its brilliant. So if you go, I dont recommend sitting in the orch right...your line of sight just aint great to appreciate "Will's" story. Esper is the tastiest thing on that stage...his singing, acting, movement, attitude, sexiness...and that billie-esque hair...his character IS Billie and he's :wub:

The other thing that I was able to appreciate so much more this time was the CHOREOGRAPHY and the LIGHTING. This show has so much going on it was mpossible for me to take it all in and appreciate it all at once in one performance. The choreography where the entire company is on stage is sometimes like watching a slow-motion pit (I remember reading that MM did go watch some pits at Green Day concerts). I fell in love with watching Leslie's movements as well as Libby's. Talk about core strength! The lighting so subtely adds to the story and Im not a theater person so I cannot truly appreciate it, but last night I felt the moods and personas it creates in each number.

Now knowing what the the WMUWSE number was about as soon as I saw the first "paper image" fly on the back wall I was pure waterworks. I cried my freaking eyes out. Sat their and balled like a baby. What they created with the lighting, imagery of the paper flying, and movement is beautful and sensitive and somehow reaches back into your brain and heart and pulls back up your 9/11 emotions that are always lurking back there.

Tony Vincent is pure addiction and I love him for that...I see his character a lot clearer now and if I ever have an addition all I can say is Id like it to be portrayed by TV :wub: I simply would not have gone to see the show if Rebecca, TV, Esper and obviously JGJ werent there. Rebecca and JGJ's talent is such a joy to watch. I wonder if by so brilliantly playing a "slacker" JGJ gets overlooked in how amazing he is in this show.

Lastly the orch section where I was sitting was FILLED. Im so glad I went out to experience the show again as well as support it. Have you gone yet? What are you waiting for....GO...and then GO AGAIN :runaround:

Abbey

So glad you had such a lovely time Abbey! I would LOVE to see it again to see what I missed the first time! Too bad it costs an arm and a leg to travel back to NYC for me. And with cast changes coming up I am pleased to have seen it with the Original Broadway Cast when I did! But still, would LOVE to see it AGAIN! It's such an amazing show! :wub:

I'm going on Saturday July 10th! What should I expect?

Sounds awesome! :)

Also, does anyone know if there are any bad seats in the house...really doesn't matter since I'm already locked into my tickets but I thought I'd ask.

Also, does anyone know if there are any bad seats in the house...really doesn't matter since I'm already locked into my tickets but I thought I'd ask.

If you're sitting in the extreme sides, you'll miss the stairs on the right and the scaffolding & Whatsername's window on the left. If you sit too far back in the Orch or Mezz, you'll probably miss the top third landing of the stairs where Tony and sometimes Johnny comes out of. If you sit too far forward, you'll miss things that are happening in the back due to sight lines. If you're sitting in the first two or three rows of the balcony, you might have to lean forward to see the downstage action due to the high wall... Heh... It might have been easier to say where you're sitting and I'll give you what view you have. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention, if anyone would like my playbill from the show please shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to send it out to someone. Ab

I forgot to mention, if anyone would like my playbill from the show please shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to send it out to someone. Ab

Did you stay for autographs?

I did stay for autographs but didn't get autographs, just chatted with the cast members...I saw gerard's billie tattoo (chickenscratch if I've ever seen), asked theo about billie's "theo" jersey, GAWKED at esper's beauty, saw JGJ's most excellent smile, chatted with christina about "flying" of course. Didn't see TV. Oh told rebecca her 21 guns makes me cry like a baby, and a bunch of other small-talk drivel!

I did stay for autographs but didn't get autographs, just chatted with the cast members...I saw gerard's billie tattoo (chickenscratch if I've ever seen), asked theo about billie's "theo" jersey, GAWKED at esper's beauty, saw JGJ's most excellent smile, chatted with christina about "flying" of course. Didn't see TV. Oh told rebecca her 21 guns makes me cry like a baby, and a bunch of other small-talk drivel!

What IS the story of Billie's "Theo" jersey? Can't wait to go sometime in August! :D

Conversations are even better! Thanks for sharing these.

What IS the story of Billie's "Theo" jersey? Can't wait to go sometime in August! :D

I asked "why does billie have your name on the back of his baseball jersey?" He replied "it was the first thing that popped into his head...and because he loves me so much...and because I'm so sporty". Then I said "but you don't even play, do you" and he shook his head and laughed and said nooooo. I assume he was bs-ing me. He has the biggest facial expressions of anyone I have ever seen.

I asked "why does billie have your name on the back of his baseball jersey?" He replied "it was the first thing that popped into his head...and because he loves me so much...and because I'm so sporty". Then I said "but you don't even play, do you" and he shook his head and laughed and said nooooo. I assume he was bs-ing me. He has the biggest facial expressions of anyone I have ever seen.

:lol:

I love Theo. haha.

I don't know why, he just makes me laugh the hardest, I like how much he dives into his wacky character, and DAMN does he love to stomp his leg along to a song (from the videos that I've seen, anyway)!!!

hahaha.

But thanks for sharing the story, I was wondering what was up with the jersey. xD

Mezzanine row r

After buying the Cast album, I cannot wait to see this musical more than ever. Come to England guys!

I went shopping with my mum the other day and saw that there were flights from Sydney to New York for around $500... then I realised they were only one-way. :(

Honestly, I would do anything to see this musical. Especially with (well most) of the original Broadway cast still in it.

I'm definitely looking forward to a second run. BTW. I'm still a little upset with the board for not responding to my long review earlier this month. :) Good re-review. Enjoyed it although I still have to say, when I saw it I thought Esper was great but it didn't seem like a character that anyone could make that interesting (therefore didn't understand why everyone was so on him...best voice on the stage probably, but still(. Thats said, I heard he had the flu that day but when I saw it John Gallagher, and ESPECIALLY my new found desire of life, Rebecca (Whatername) mwua. TV was amazing as well and generally, I agree with everything you wrote. Nice,

There's so much going on on that stage that Im sure I missed even having seen it a second time...during John and Whatsername's fight/breakup I noticed St Jimmy is sitting in the background laughing/mumbling and looking like a total lunatic back there...there are so many micro-scenes going on its hard to really see them all. As for Esper, his voice is unbelieveable, and I really do think he is the broadway version of BJA, there's an entire song (cant remember which) he sits on the couch and makes out with Heather...hot!...as well as he is simply GORGEOUS. Same with RNJ, those vocal chops, the emotion...she has that certain "je ne sais quoi" that leaves you simply staring at her in awe.

And you know we loved your review....mwah!

BTW. I'm still a little upset with the board for not responding to my long review earlier this month. :)

Where is it, what page? (if you know, haha). I was planning to read it but then I was not in the mood to read a long text so I was like "I'll read it later" and then just forgot about it.

Haha. I found it for you.

About the third post down. It's the long winded wasted one. I would read it with caution as you might get lost in a sea of words and not find your way back. I think it's more humorous because I tried to write it while completely drunk off my arse. As the minutes went on, it got harder and harder to type. Now it stands as a testament as to why partying too hard can do damage to ones brain. Reading the page after that, the Tony after party at the BE, and crashing Rockefeller, I realize I still need to augment that post and get some pics off my camera. I have some dandies. I saw the matinee show before the Tony's.

READ AT OWN RISK. :)

I loved it - it was something between Mickey Spillane and Quentin Tarantino. :)

I saw the play earlier this month and it was beyond stellar.

I actually flew out to New York from LA for a weekend just to see it on my birthday! :D

But the really cool thing that happened was when I was waiting outside to get in, the costume designer of the show came up to me and asked to take a picture of me (because I was ridiculously decked out in Green Day attire), and she wanted to send the pic to Billie Joe!

It was so nuts, she even took a pic of my tat (I have "green day" on the back of my neck) and she texted it to Billie on the spot!

So worth the trip out there. (:

HAHAHAHA. Even with what I'm sure is implicit sarcasm, I'll take it.

No sarcasm at all - I don't do bullshit. :)

• Like 1

BTW. I'm still a little upset with the board for not responding to my long review earlier this month.

I absolutely want to compare notes with you from when I saw the show back in (!) April. Rest of life has gotten in the way (yep, we have a toddler). Anyway, I did see your review and really enjoyed reading your impressions.

Edit: Yep, even through the haze!!

If life ever settles down around here for a few days I'll respond in much better detail.

• Like 1

I actually flew out to New York from LA for a weekend just to see it on my birthday! :D

But the really cool thing that happened was when I was waiting outside to get in, the costume designer of the show came up to me and asked to take a picture of me (because I was ridiculously decked out in Green Day attire), and she wanted to send the pic to Billie Joe!

It was so nuts, she even took a pic of my tat (I have "green day" on the back of my neck) and she texted it to Billie on the spot!

Wow, that's awesome! :D

Haha. I found it for you.

About the third post down. It's the long winded wasted one. I would read it with caution as you might get lost in a sea of words and not find your way back. I think it's more humorous because I tried to write it while completely drunk off my arse. As the minutes went on, it got harder and harder to type. Now it stands as a testament as to why partying too hard can do damage to ones brain. Reading the page after that, the Tony after party at the BE, and crashing Rockefeller, I realize I still need to augment that post and get some pics off my camera. I have some dandies. I saw the matinee show before the Tony's.

READ AT OWN RISK. :)

EDIT: By the way, please to note my day before Tony's call of the intelligent lighting and them winning that Tony for lighting and set design. ;)

Haha, thanks. I really liked it. And you did a terrific job for being drunk :lol:

Wah, that's pretty cool!

• Like 1

What you should expect:

1. That you will have a blast.

2. That you will see some excellent performances.

3. The possibibility of a full erect bone at any given moment when Reb Jones is on (that is if you have those parts), if not I guess it's Esper and Gallagher and the Fortunate Sun (sexy man ) . :eyebrow:

4. Expect to want to go again and you'll wonder why you haven't seen it yet since you live on Long Island.

5. Expect the possibility of a sexual act, most likely fellatio to be a real possibility in the audience since it happened opening week. (I'll end on that).

Expect fun.

COPYRIGHT JUNE 28th, 2010 c-rock6000, I don't want AI The Musical to use this as a promo without me getting my points. :D :eyebrow:

Epic. But do you want royalty fees or just the credit? Haha.

• Like 1

Interesting status update from Wallace:

"Wallace Smith: Bout to go watch my new family 'American Idiot' perform on Broadway. Never seen the show...very excited."

I'll admit, the fact that he never saw the show worries me a bit, but then again I don't know how he could of while working on HAIR! Interesting to take a job for a show you have never even seen.