American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

well what are they up against ?

Memphis: a nice little musical about a black and white couple in segregated Memphis in the 1950s. Many people say this is the one that is going to win because it's got a better chance at touring.

Fela!: directed by B'way legend Bill T. Jones. It's the story of the singer and political leader Fela and has got a lot of African-type dancing and drumming. There are actually arguments about this show touring because it has "black people" in it and producers don't think that people out in the suburbs would want to see a musical about a black political leader. Seriously. This is the argument about this show.

Million Dollar Quartet: It's about the Sun Records jam recording session of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins back in 1956. It's the longshot here.

(Of course, other people can explain these shows better... I'm jaded about B'way...)

Memphis: a nice little musical about a black and white couple in segregated Memphis in the 1950s. Many people say this is the one that is going to win because it's got a better chance at touring.

Fela!: directed by B'way legend Bill T. Jones. It's the story of the singer and political leader Fela and has got a lot of African-type dancing and drumming. There are actually arguments about this show touring because it has "black people" in it and producers don't think that people out in the suburbs would want to see a musical about a black political leader. Seriously. This is the argument about this show.

Million Dollar Quartet: It's about the Sun Records jam recording session of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins back in 1956. It's the longshot here.

(Of course, other people can explain these shows better... I'm jaded about B'way...)

Seriously, play the race card why don't ya people, Broadway people, I mean...

I feel like a musical with Green Day music in it would do a wonderful job touring, I mean, it's Green Day!

Seriously, play the race card why don't ya people, Broadway people, I mean...

I feel like a musical with Green Day music in it would do a wonderful job touring, I mean, it's Green Day!

I concur. We'll see what happens.

A lot of people believe that Memphis will win because it's the most original and doesn't it have the "Oprah Stamp of Approval" on it or is that Fela? But most people believe that AI won't win. I hope AI is the huge upset, though.

If I could pick the winner out of those for Best Musical, I'd totally choose American Idiot.

A lot of people believe that Memphis will win because it's the most original and doesn't it have the "Oprah Stamp of Approval" on it or is that Fela? But most people believe that AI won't win. I hope AI is the huge upset, though.

AI deserves to upset! It's dangerous and fantastic and it's very original!

Fela probably has the "Oprah Stamp of Approval" because, and no offence meant here, she only approves things that have a strong anti-racism message. It's not that I'm racist, but I wish people would look deeper than skin deep.

Memphis also has an anti-racist theme, so I'm not sure about your argument there. Fela! has exceptional music and dancing, and a strong Afro-beat and it's about a political and social African powerhouse. Memphis is probably the most "well-constructed" B'way show, in terms of classic Broadway, so while the touring stuff that I mentioned is a factor, I think you have to take that into consideration, too. The Tonys are very traditional, for good or bad, and they attempt to hold onto the classic B'way frame and balk at anything new or different.

Anyway, break a leg to everyone! All of the shows have worked long and hard on them, and of course, each of them thinks they deserve to win, lol.

If I could pick the winner out of those for Best Musical, I'd totally choose American Idiot.

I think we all would :o

Well, let's take it in consideration.

IF American Idiot doesn't win, *knocks on wood* it's not like it closes immediately. Next to Normal didn't win Best Musical last year and they're doing pretty okay. :)

Well, let's take it in consideration.

IF American Idiot doesn't win, *knocks on wood* it's not like it closes immediately. Next to Normal didn't win Best Musical last year and they're doing pretty okay. :)

Well, 'Next to Normal' won Best Actress along with other major awards plus a Pultizer later. Also N2N is not as expensive to run than Idiot.

That being said, correct me if I'm wrong, if Idiot does win Best Musical, Green Day does not receive a Tony since they are not producers of the muscial who receive the award for that win. If Idiot were nominated for Best Book or Music (if they were deemed eligible), then Billie would have been eligible for Book and the band for music.

They were so close to being interviewed and then they were rushed away! Dammit, and they look so good too!

Here's a pic of them on the Red Carpet:

http://ow.ly/1XUMP

You just answered the question I was about to ask.

and regarding Billie. Isn't that the exact same outfit he wore to the, Grammy's I think?

*goes check*

slightly different jacket, but that's it. Same shirt, same tie, same pocket square.

I feel a bit creepy for noticing this.

They WON both the Lighting and Set Design Tonys!

YEAH!!!

(I feel like I'm just following you around the forum making comments on your comments!!! Don't mean to act like a stalker.)

Here's a pic of them on the Red Carpet:

http://ow.ly/1XUMP

awesome!! the boys look great in that suit! lol

yippee! awesome!! well deserved win! :woot:

I know, I just read it. So awesome, they really deserved it! :D :D