American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Just found this on line from the New York Times. Talks about rock musicals but mentions American idiot so i figured i'd post

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/theater/theaterspecial/16rock.html

I love the title! "Broadway Rocks. Get Over It." I like how AI is positively portrayed throughout the article and especially the end, with the WHOLE last paragraph! Thanks for that! :)

Hello mes choux-fleurs!

So I FINALLY saw the show last night, and I loved every minute!

How the cast does 8 shows a week , I'll never understand! They must be absolutely exhausted after every performance! I've seen a lot of Broadway shows, but never one where everyone was so emotionally involved. During "Are We The Waiting?", Stark Sands' eyes were glistening with tears. Tony Vincent's malicious charisma was gripping. And Rebecca Naomi Jones' rage in "Letterbomb" was palpable!

The acting was so uniformly superb from beginning to end. I loved all the arrangements and couldn't help moving my lips along with the performers.

Libby Winters covered for Mary Faber, but she was so good that it didn't feel as though she was the understudy, the entire cast is beyond brilliant!

The ingenuity, from the scaffolding bus in "Holiday" to the tourniquet dance, struck me as particularly brilliant!

I've never seen an audience that was so excited! For one thing, it was a packed house, so the buzz was loud. But people of all ages couldn't help rocking out in their seats! The cast had given their all, so it was only fitting that we returned the favor and gave them a standing ovation. Two, actually. One before the encore, and one after!

I am dying to see it again! I'm happy that I got to see it, but right now, it's like coming down after a Green Day concert! This is the best show I have ever seen! Hopefully the fun continues tomorrow, since there is a rumor that Tony Vincent regularly attends the church I'm going too! Hope to see him there!

I saw the musical yesterday, amazing emotional journey. i must have cried at least 3 times.

when i first heard the cd, i could NOT get enough of it, it took me so many places in my mind, and hit like

nothing had before...there was no way I was gonna miss the musical, but i admit i was afraid the stage version

would change my interpretation of it, and i didn't want that...

but justice was totally done, i left feeling like i just got off a roller coaster, just like the cd made me feel :wub:

my only regret is that i couldn't go to opening night!!

If anyone is interested? Write-up BY MICHAEL GROSSBERG in the COLUMBUS DISPATCH http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/arts/stories/2010/05/16/sounds-familiar.html?sid=101 :

[American Idiot

Creators: Green Day, director and co-author Michael Mayer (Spring Awakening), co-author and lyricist Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day), and orchestrator Tom Kitt (Next to Normal)

Focus: Based on Green Day's 2004 punk-rock album, the show profiles three disaffected young men in the post-9/11 era.

Star turns: None. The blaring music and kinetic design overwhelm the performances, although John Gregory Jr. is moving as Johnny, who becomes a drug addict after moving to the big city.

Memorable moment: During a hallucinatory aerial ballet, a hospitalized soldier (Stark Sands) dreams of a sexy encounter with a woman in a burqa.

Pros: Kitt's gorgeous orchestrations make punk rock palatable for Broadway, while the kaleidoscopic staging captures the spirit of I Don't Care, Give Me Novacaine and other Green Day songs.

Cons: Although the trendy video-style show is connecting with a younger audience, the 90-minute one-act is derivative of - and inferior to - classic rock musicals such as Hair, Tommy, Rent and Spring Awakening. Plus, the alienated youths are cliches. ]

Does it bug anyone else when someone who has a career in journalism misspells an actor(s) name(s), especially the main actor?

What is "Star turns"?

Anyway, negative, positive, positive, then negative again. *sigh*

Finally bought the actual CD today, got sick of the bad quality download :lol:

Gahhh I want to see this so badly :(

If anyone is interested? Write-up BY MICHAEL GROSSBERG in the COLUMBUS DISPATCH http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/arts/stories/2010/05/16/sounds-familiar.html?sid=101 :

(...)

Pros: Kitt's gorgeous orchestrations make punk rock palatable for Broadway, while the kaleidoscopic staging captures the spirit of I Don't Care, Give Me Novacaine and other Green Day songs.

(...)

I Don't Care? Does he mean the I Don't Care part from Jesus of Suburbia or something?

and wtf John Gregory Jr.

He did write Billie's name right, but he completely missed John's last name.

Hello mes choux-fleurs!

So I FINALLY saw the show last night, and I loved every minute!

How the cast does 8 shows a week , I'll never understand! They must be absolutely exhausted after every performance! I've seen a lot of Broadway shows, but never one where everyone was so emotionally involved. During "Are We The Waiting?", Stark Sands' eyes were glistening with tears. Tony Vincent's malicious charisma was gripping. And Rebecca Naomi Jones' rage in "Letterbomb" was palpable!

The acting was so uniformly superb from beginning to end. I loved all the arrangements and couldn't help moving my lips along with the performers.

Libby Winters covered for Mary Faber, but she was so good that it didn't feel as though she was the understudy, the entire cast is beyond brilliant!

The ingenuity, from the scaffolding bus in "Holiday" to the tourniquet dance, struck me as particularly brilliant!

I've never seen an audience that was so excited! For one thing, it was a packed house, so the buzz was loud. But people of all ages couldn't help rocking out in their seats! The cast had given their all, so it was only fitting that we returned the favor and gave them a standing ovation. Two, actually. One before the encore, and one after!

I am dying to see it again! I'm happy that I got to see it, but right now, it's like coming down after a Green Day concert! This is the best show I have ever seen! Hopefully the fun continues tomorrow, since there is a rumor that Tony Vincent regularly attends the church I'm going too! Hope to see him there!

Aw, glad you enjoyed it so much. I know you had been looking forward to it! :)

me, megan, and david [son] tried for lotto tix last night. it failed but we did have an awesome time hanging out with the cast before and after the show! theyre such sweethearts!!

i'd love to see the show again. i think i told michael im gona see it once every month haha and ive yet to see it this month and i have to make it happen! :bunny:

Sounds like Billie is still in town.

One of the Twitter fangirls ("Panda Girls" they call themselves) went to the show for her birthday, and someone gave the cast a card for her, and the whole cast and Billie signed it for her. What an awesome birthday that would be!

One of the Twitter fangirls ("Panda Girls" they call themselves) went to the show for her birthday, and someone gave the cast a card for her, and the whole cast and Billie signed it for her. What an awesome birthday that would be!

really? like today?

really? like today?

Yep today. She has pics of the card, and her with Billie, and with Paula Abdul from American Idol (she was at the show as well). She said she also saw Adrienne. Said they didn't get a car afterwards, they just went walking down the streets

Yep today. She has pics of the card, and her with Billie, and with Paula Abdul from American Idol (she was at the show as well). She said she also saw Adrienne. Said they didn't get a car afterwards, they just went walking down the streets

aww and i was going to go by there today too :( pooey lol

Aw, glad you enjoyed it so much. I know you had been looking forward to it! :)

Awww, thanks love!

Billie and Adrienne missed Emilys Army planning last night at Gilman? Aw. :(

True! A girl that talked to him today said that Billie told her they'll stay there till they start touring so they can watch the musical many times cuz they only come back in August and the musical will be over in July.

True! A girl that talked to him said that Billie told her they'll stay there till they start touring so they can watch the musical many times cuz they only come back in August and the musical will be over in July.

isnt the last day of the musical sept 4th?

isnt the last day of the musical sept 4th?

That's what I thought, I just came here to repost what she told me :lol:

True! A girl that talked to him said that Billie told her they'll stay there till they start touring so they can watch the musical many times cuz they only come back in August and the musical will be over in July.

Really? Do you mean it may be closing in July? Is that what she meant? Hmm.

Well, it could happen.

Really? Do you mean it may be closing in July? Is that what she meant? Hmm.

Well, it could happen.

yeah i guess if its not doing too well in the money area i guess it could happen?

The thing is to close in July is kind-of silly in terms of sales. It's still the summer; people are still on vacation. If Broadway shows close, it's usually after Labor Day which is what is currently the last day of advance sales for AI. IMO.

The thing is to close in July is kind-of silly in terms of sales. It's still the summer; people are still on vacation. If Broadway shows close, it's usually after Labor Day which is what is currently the last day of advance sales for AI. IMO.

I'm gonna have to go with this. If they close before their ticket sales are done, I'd be surprised.

I will be so sad, though, if they go to the Drama Desk Awards, since I was supposed to work the awards. But I booked a flight home to Detroit and come back that day. I didn't find out I could work them until I had already booked the flight. :( Stupid airline I'm on doesn't have a lot of flights. Sadly. Anyway, long story. Just gonna be so sad if they go and I wasn't there when I had the chance. :(