American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

So, American Idiot won against Lion King today at Broadway Softball, 10-3. :) They're currently undefeated but then again, the season's just starting. Heh...

Awesome! Joshua Henry kicks ass at softball. Someone said Mary Poppins was supposed to be considered a tough opponent this year. I see they don't play the Idiots for a couple of weeks yet.

Awesome! Joshua Henry kicks ass at softball. Someone said Mary Poppins was supposed to be considered a tough opponent this year. I see they don't play the Idiots for a couple of weeks yet.

Well, of course Mary Poppins would be a tough opponent. They have magic!

In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. :)

Re MM's take on the St. Jimmy as alter ego vs. separate character -- When I saw the show I was impressed to see how Michael's interpretations and expansion of the album storyline really helped to flesh out the more ambiguous lyrics in the songs. I came away with a different (well, at least an alternative) interpretation of several themes/items that I didn't have before I saw the show, and now Give Me Novacaine and WMUWSE kill me every time I hear them (and regardless of whether it's the AIOB cast singing it or if I'm listening to the original Green Day AI album tracks).

I came away from it with different interpretations of things, too, and that's why I think I loved it so much. It didn't ruin the love affair I've had with the album for 5 years, it just gave me a different point of view. And that was ok for me - but I certainly understand where Alanna and Angeline are coming from as well. It's such a precious thing to people, and some are not willing to chance changing that in any way for them.

As for the two songs you mentioned, I will never hear them the same way ever again after seeing them on stage, no matter who sings them. The images left an imprint, just as the songs have done, and again, it's just an expanded view of something I already love.

Novacaine is such a personal and special song to me, one that I love dearly, and seeing MM's interpretation of it was just mind blowing. (Incidentally, something COMPLETELY different than my own vision of this song.) I won't spoil it for anyone, but if you saw it, you certainly know what I mean. Those images stuck with me, and especially after the second time I saw it. I think I bawled thru that whole song. (Sorry Andres if I wiped my nose on your sleeve a few times :P )

As for September - I think it was J'net who mentioned what the images on the backdrop meant before I saw it, and I'm so glad she did. Something so simple, but yet so fucking powerful. It definitely brought back my own visions and feelings of that time - again something totally different than what I saw for that song, but so beautiful in its own way.

and a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, too. :thumbsup:

:wub:

I came away from it with different interpretations of things, too, and that's why I think I loved it so much. It didn't ruin the love affair I've had with the album for 5 years, it just gave me a different point of view. And that was ok for me - but I certainly understand where Alanna and Angeline are coming from as well. It's such a precious thing to people, and some are not willing to chance changing that in any way for them.

At the after party on opening night, I told Billie (as I had already told MANY people), "I was so afraid that they would ruin it for me." He said, "Yeah, me too!" Well that gave me some perspective :lol:!

But then I remembered what I've also told so many people. After seeing the show for the first time, I understood that all these people involved with it LOVE the music just as much as I do. Maybe not in the same way - but just as much. So watching the show for me is no different than discussing different interpretations of the songs here or in person with other people who love it so intensely (except, yes, it is different in that it's more powerful). But I had the same experience you did, Cheryl. The show just enhanced and enriched much of what I already felt while adding so many new interpretations that I'd never thought of. And I'm SO glad.

:wub:

At the after party on opening night, I told Billie (as I had already told MANY people), "I was so afraid that they would ruin it for me." He said, "Yeah, me too!" Well that gave me some perspective :lol:!

But then I remembered what I've also told so many people. After seeing the show for the first time, I understood that all these people involved with it LOVE the music just as much as I do. Maybe not in the same way - but just as much. So watching the show for me is no different than discussing different interpretations of the songs here or in person with other people who love it so intensely (except, yes, it is different in that it's more powerful). But I had the same experience you did, Cheryl. The show just enhanced and enriched much of what I already felt while adding so many new interpretations that I'd never thought of. And I'm SO glad.

This makes me even more excited to see it in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Haha...if I remember, the conversation went something like this:

"Rock of Ages was good before but I hear they're not so good this time around."

"Yeah, but I heard Mary Poppins and Billy Elliot might kick some ass."

:lol: :lol:

and a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, too. :thumbsup:

Totally have that song in my head now. Thanks?

I FINALLY OWN THE ALBUM!!! I BOUGHT IT 10 MINUTES AGO AND NOW I'M LISTENING TO IT!!!

As for September - I think it was J'net who mentioned what the images on the backdrop meant before I saw it, and I'm so glad she did. Something so simple, but yet so fucking powerful. It definitely brought back my own visions and feelings of that time - again something totally different than what I saw for that song, but so beautiful in its own way.

cheryl - i steered clear of knowing anything about the show before seeing it, so when i saw WMUWSE in the production i could not believe what i was watching. i knew what was going on before i even really processed what it was. i leaned over to dawn and whispered "this is about 9/11" and she simply nodded her head. this number hit me like a ton of bricks. it brought back such powerful emotions it will be one of the songs from the show that will stick with me for a long time. i probably wont listen to WMUWSE for quite a while. the imagery and movements they created were that strong.

i think it is too simple to liken this musical creation to loving a book and then seeing it ruined as a movie. the music is very much intact. i think it is like seeing another creative tentacle in our green day rocktopus. what green day, michael mayer, tom kitt, et al have created is additive to the body of green day work.

as i have written before i do hope all green day fans go to see it because you as fans of this music we are in such a unique position to have an appreciation of what they created in this musical whether you like it or hate it. abbey

Totally have that song in my head now. Thanks?

You are very welcome! Don't forget the accent!! ;) A spoonful of sugahhhh....

cheryl - i steered clear of knowing anything about the show before seeing it, so when i saw WMUWSE in the production i could not believe what i was watching. i knew what was going on before i even really processed what it was. i leaned over to dawn and whispered "this is about 9/11" and she simply nodded her head. this number hit me like a ton of bricks. it brought back such powerful emotions it will be one of the songs from the show that will stick with me for a long time. i probably wont listen to WMUWSE for quite a while. the imagery and movements they created were that strong.

Did we have the converstaion about 'September' when J'net and I met you that day after the preview opening? I thought it was J'net, but maybe it was you, or all of us, lol. It didn't really hit me the first time I saw it - maybe because I knew what it all meant the 2nd time, or maybe sitting in the orchestra where I was the 1st time, I didn't get the full effect of everything? I dunno - I do know that that image will be with me, too, now every time I hear the song.

Especially all the papers flying thru the air on the backdrop. I get goosebumps just thinking about that.

It brought back too many memories of that time and really hit home, I guess. The thing is - I never associated that song with 9/11 before. It's so obvious now, but I guess I never saw it that way. It does make the song's video have more sense for me now - even tho I still don't love it.

From some article from Aceshowbiz...For all you gossipers.

That was the biggest non-secret in town. lol.

Did we have the converstaion about 'September' when J'net and I met you that day after the preview opening? I thought it was J'net, but maybe it was you, or all of us, lol. It didn't really hit me the first time I saw it - maybe because I knew what it all meant the 2nd time, or maybe sitting in the orchestra where I was the 1st time, I didn't get the full effect of everything? I dunno - I do know that that image will be with me, too, now every time I hear the song.

it must have been when the three of us were at dinner ... and we were also talking about the whole homoerotic thing between johnny & st jimmy which i like to interpret in my overactive imagination :shifty:

They were rather cuddly in some promo photos taken when she came to see the show and I think someone mentioned it then. A bit of a long-distance relationship. I love her in Glee!

well, it's news to me, so thanks for posting crock. :) I think she's great in Glee, too - she's so annoying, she's kinda cute.

well, it's news to me, so thanks for posting crock. :) I think she's great in Glee, too - she's so annoying, she's kinda cute.

for me too. That's what happens when you're a non-New Yorker I guess.

"Going public" is not what I would call it. "The media finally found strong evidence to backup their suspicions and then posted it all over the web" would be more accurate. I was back stage with Christina that night and Theo came by all dressed up on his way to the Gala, quite dashing I must say, he cleans up nicely. They've been together for quite some time, but they've been very careful to keep this as private as possible (as much as you can when you're a star of one of TVs most popular shows).

She seems very nice from what I saw at the Noms, but because of the whole privacy thing I've never asked Theo about her. I was kinda hoping none of that would end up on here. They deserve their privacy in my opinion.

And Rachel is my favorite character on Glee as well, along with Jane Lynch's

I think Ila's pov is perfectly valid. It's like the movie of the book you love - some people will be interested in seeing someone else's take on it, some won't want to see it at all, preferring to keep their own vision of it. I read an interview with the guy who did the sound for the musical where he said that whenever GD's version of 21 Guns came on the radio, he'd switch it off, to keep his own creative vision of it intact - it's the same kind of thing.

Point taken.

I've said earlier in this thread that seeing another artist's (Michael Mayer's, in this case) interpretation of the music I was already familiar with enhanced my understanding and appreciation of what Billie had already accomplished with it. The storyline is not "completely different" -- it takes the Jesus/St. Jimmy/Whatsername triangle that already exists in the album and adds two more characters, both of which (like Jesus) get stuck in a similar quarter-life crisis. One gets stuck at home with his girlfriend and newborn kid, the other goes off to war and gets shot up real bad, and the three storylines all get tied neatly together in Letterbomb and WMUWSE. In my view the storyline is enhanced, not hurt, by Mayer's additional interpretations.

hey now, i did not say in any way that it hurt anything. i fully appreciate and adore Michael's interpretation.

i really do like what he did with it, and im incredibly happy for the band, the actors, and all the fans who were able to see it.

i even own the cast album, my favorite track atm is Letterbomb :)