American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Guest Shangri-La

searching for OEYS!!!!!

last seen at the April 24th performance of AMERICAN IDIOT!!

returning to scene of the OEY's birthplace... for tomorrow's matinee!!!!

ITS OEY TIME!

Motherfuckin' JOEYYY!!!!

My lover! It's Zoe!! Us OEY's miss you fool!

Add me on facebook, we have an OEY album cover you must see!

facebook.com/zoelucette

right here.

i check every day to see if theres new videos up.

Yay, more videos. Thanks for posting :happy:

Yay, more videos. Thanks for posting :happy:

your welcome. also heres the best Good Riddance video, if you look in related videos on the side you can find 2 other good riddance videos but they are not as good

Tsk, Perez again with the making news while there isn't any...

If you look at those Broadway stats Bastard_of_1967 posted a number of pages ago, it's true that the St. James has been operating at just under 70% capacity for the AI Musical. This show is not alone in that, however. Many, if not most, other shows are operating at the same level. There are a few that filled to near 100% last week - many of them starring a well-known Hollywood actor or two which certainly brings in the crowds. I have no idea of the theater size for those shows, but I am sure (as plaid ducky pointed out above) that the large size of the St. James impacts its potential for sell-outs. The recession is still here in force and both travel for pleasure and theater tickets take a hit when people can't make their mortgage or tuition payments. Surely all these factors were taken into account by the investors before the play even opened.

I don't see it running forever and it may never travel. But I do see it hanging out there for awhile.

Tsk, Perez again with the making news while there isn't any...

He oughta stop making up news then. The last thing the show needs is a blogger with street cred like Perez telling people the show's bombing. That shit can turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy real quick..... :mad:

If you look at those Broadway stats Bastard_of_1967 posted a number of pages ago, it's true that the St. James has been operating at just under 70% capacity for the AI Musical. This show is not alone in that, however. Many, if not most, other shows are operating at the same level.

Including stalwarts like Phantom of the Opera, Mamma Mia, and a few others.

Just found this:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE_TUBE_Is_AMERICAN_IDIOT_Too_Revolutionary_20100511

There's a video at the bottom of the article. It made me smile at the end. When John G. made a comment about the cast being shut out on the Tony noms and they played the clip, 'It's not over til you're underground'...from "Letterbomb" and also how the newscasters all reacted postively at the end of the newspiece.

Just found this:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE_TUBE_Is_AMERICAN_IDIOT_Too_Revolutionary_20100511

There's a video at the bottom of the article. It made me smile at the end. When John G. made a comment about the cast being shut out on the Tony noms and they played the clip, 'It's not over til you're underground'...from "Letterbomb" and also how the newscasters all reacted postively at the end of the newspiece.

Great find -- and great for the show too. The newscaster -- very favorably -- put AI as being a part of a cutting edge of new musicals that are exposing younger generations to Broadway for the very first time. Hope this eventually translates into ticket sales. :)

Going back to the understudy/video clip discussion, all of them have indeed filmed or done photo shoots for their roles. So if by some chance Chase played Johnny on the same night that Andrew played Jimmy, the image morph in WMUWSE would show their images now, rather than John and Tony.

Going back to the understudy/video clip discussion, all of them have indeed filmed or done photo shoots for their roles. So if by some chance Chase played Johnny on the same night that Andrew played Jimmy, the image morph in WMUWSE would show their images now, rather than John and Tony.

I find that so interesting, practical solutions used in theatre, both in musicals and straight plays. It sometimes even distracts me from the actual scene :)

Also, John's going to be on the radio at 2 PM:

http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/

right here.

i check every day to see if theres new videos up.

Thanks! :)

http://perezhilton.com/2010-05-11-is-american-idiot-doomed-on-broadway

Apparently they've been playing to less than 70% of the capacity every night. Hopefully it picks up during the summer, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it closed by the end of the year.

There's a whole discussion about this topic just a few posts up from here. Quite a different take on the situation too.

http://perezhilton.com/2010-05-11-is-american-idiot-doomed-on-broadway

Apparently they've been playing to less than 70% of the capacity every night. Hopefully it picks up during the summer, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it closed by the end of the year.

Thanks, we were talking about this about 8 posts up from here.

And if t closes by the end of the year, that's a good run for a B'way show.

I find that so interesting, practical solutions used in theatre, both in musicals and straight plays. It sometimes even distracts me from the actual scene :)

Also, John's going to be on the radio at 2 PM:

http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/

I listened to the interview, it was a really nice one!

I don't see it running forever and it may never travel. But I do see it hanging out there for awhile.

Er, I don't know about that. There are a lot of skeptics about the shows quality based on the fact that it stemmed from a Green Day album, and I think that'll prevent too many people from going to see it. Hopefully not, and I'd really like for it to succeed, but it may not happen. A ton of Broadway shows have been closing lately.

FWIW, all of my family in NY, and they are plentiful are all hearing the buzz about the show and all plan on going (and indeed are with me, weekend of June 12th).

I'm really stoked. Haven't been this excited to see a play since the 9th time I saw Le Mis.

Hey, let's all meet up for a drink when you're here before the show!

Er, I don't know about that. There are a lot of skeptics about the shows quality based on the fact that it stemmed from a Green Day album, and I think that'll prevent too many people from going to see it. Hopefully not, and I'd really like for it to succeed, but it may not happen. A ton of Broadway shows have been closing lately.

I think everyone should cross that road when and if it gets there. So far, it's doing ok, better than some shows, not as good as others. I really think it's going to be around until at least the end of the summer, if not the end of the year.

Libby is going on for Heather tonight. :banana:

She does a good job with that role, Mary was sick for 2 of the shows I saw in Berkeley.

There are a lot of skeptics about the shows quality based on the fact that it stemmed from a Green Day album

Remember that many of the so-called "skeptics" in the media are trying to protect a vested interest of theirs -- that is, in preserving the classic style of Broadway musical from 30, 40, 50 years ago. This style just doesn't have the mass-appeal that it used to, and is one of the main reasons why Broadway ticket sales have been on the decline for so many years generally. Green Day and the AIOB production company are *really* pushing the envelope with this, and they're bringing younger generations -- teens and 20somethings -- into the theater while simultaneously turning off some (but not all) of the upper middle-age and retirees. I can't say I'm surprised there's been some pushback from this segment of the market and the theater mass-media that caters to them. New battlefield in the ageless culture war, perhaps.... leave it to Green Day to throw a handful of gas into the inferno -- and cheers to them for having the cajones to risk it!

Remember that many of the so-called "skeptics" in the media are trying to protect a vested interest of theirs -- that is, in preserving the classic style of Broadway musical from 30, 40, 50 years ago. This style just doesn't have the mass-appeal that it used to, and is one of the main reasons why Broadway ticket sales have been on the decline for so many years generally. Green Day and the AIOB production company are *really* pushing the envelope with this, and they're bringing younger generations -- teens and 20somethings -- into the theater while simultaneously turning off some (but not all) of the upper middle-age and retirees. I can't say I'm surprised there's been some pushback from this segment of the market and the theater mass-media that caters to them. New battlefield in the ageless culture war, perhaps.... leave it to Green Day to throw a handful of gas into the inferno -- and cheers to them for having the cajones to risk it!

I'm not speaking about skeptics in the media - actually I can't think of too many examples of bad reviews for this show - I'm speaking of people that I know.

Classic Broadway is essentially dead, and the majority of people realize that. People are just concerned that the show doesn't have a developed plot and/or characters, and that's why they are skeptical of the show.

Also, American Idiot is not the first musical to push the limits of Broadway. That began with Rent in 1997 and has continued with shows like Spring Awakening, In the Heights, and others. Believe me, people know that Hello, Dolly! is not the only successful musical genre.

Aspen is going on tonight for Libby, then, yes?

Aspen did tweet that she was going on but she doesn't know as who... Lorin would be the other swing available. Maybe there's another person out thus Aspen's unsure of who she'll be going on for...

Also, American Idiot is not the first musical to push the limits of Broadway. That began with Rent in 1997 and has continued with shows like Spring Awakening, In the Heights, and others. Believe me, people know that Hello, Dolly! is not the only successful musical genre.

Well, I could argue that 'Hair' was the first to really push the limits...