American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

That's awesome they loved them, that was so sweet of you Justin! :)

And did the boys even leave NYC? It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

Not sure, but someone in the cast said that they were "back", with emphasis on "back". Billie mentioned that "they" (I assume the band) were up until 5 am last night listening to music while talking to Esper

Not sure, but someone in the cast said that they were "back", with emphasis on "back". Billie mentioned that "they" (I assume the band) were up until 5 am last night listening to music while talking to Esper

well they have to be back cause they're performing in Jimmy Fallon tomorrow

btw sounds like an awesome experience Justin!

:)

^ only about 9 people, and originally they weren't going to let me in unitl I mentioned Mayer said I could ;)

As what was asked, I will post more on that later

Only 9? Oh, that's sad. I hope that not an indication for the Drama League Awards in a couple of weeks. :(

Can't wait to hear more about it. I was tempted to go but alas, common sense came to me. :whistle

Anyone interested in joining me.( Lushies or anyone may apply) to hang out in New York from June 12th to June 14th ( early am) ...I have a ticket who I would love to donate ,8:00pm showing of American Idiot on June 12th,,the last show before the Tony Awards.I will give you a great deal on my hotel that I have booked in Times Square.only catch? make sure you want to hang around with me because I don't want to be alone

my travel mate was my boyfriend but we broke up and no longer wants to go with me...

traveling to the UK afterwards???? maybe some of you are going to the Manchester and Wembley gigs afterwards

PM me or email me or facebook me ( many of you know me on facebook) ..

I'm so happy they loved the flowers! Maybe we brightened up their week, or rather, you did MassHysteria!

^ :woot:

First things first: The cast LOVED the flowers.

Second: The Boys are back in town! Billie Joe and Jason White were sitting one row, and one seat to the right of me (Billie the closest, diagonal from me)

Thirdly: Show rocked once again!

Fourth: Mayer let me into the Q&A session after the show tonight, which consisted of Ben, Tony, Stark, Esper, and near the end Billie answering questions :D I didn't ask any, just listened.

That's awesome!

and haha, don't they ever go home? :lol:

I have a bit of a strange question. Does anyone know if there might be anything left (like, posters, leaflets, programs, anything really) from this show at the Berkeley Rep?

First things first: The cast LOVED the flowers.

Second: The Boys are back in town! Billie Joe and Jason White were sitting one row, and one seat to the right of me (Billie the closest, diagonal from me)

Thirdly: Show rocked once again!

Fourth: Mayer let me into the Q&A session after the show tonight, which consisted of Ben, Tony, Stark, Esper, and near the end Billie answering questions :D I didn't ask any, just listened.

justin - what a great visit to nyc you have had! look forward to hearing about the Q&A. and im not a broadway gal, can you enlighten us why they do a q&a?

justin just billie and jason white were there?

did you ask where mike tre jason F And jeff were?

Justin, you are having quite an amazing NYC American Idiot experience. Worth the wait, indeed! I am glad your flowers thing worked out so well. Did you see Gallagher's tweet? I'm interested to hear what was asked/answered in the Q&A also.

I'm pretty sure Green Day and everyone went back home last Monday after the last FBHT shows...back now for Jimmy Fallon taping this afternoon, so they are probably all in town today. Rolling Stones cover, right?

Ben posted this on my Facebook:

"It was great to see you Justin....and thank the GDC for us for getting the roses..."

Yep. Had a feeling that would open and close in a heartbeat. I was talking with my friend who is a critic at Time Out about that today.

Here's what he wrote in the Guardian:

Why The Production of "Enron" Bombed on Broadway

By the way, have I ever mentioned how much I fucking hate Broadway?

dont know if this has been posted yet but heres a video of Extraordinary Girl

WOW! i got goosebumps again from watching that! i wonder if that's from the April 22 performance i was at?

nice HQ! visually speaking, i wished it was zoomed out a little more to see the flying better. But it's very lovely! :wub:

Thanks so much for sharing that Liam!

^ only about 9 people, and originally they weren't going to let me in unitl I mentioned Mayer said I could ;)

As what was asked, I will post more on that later

Looking forward to hearing more about the Q & A! So glad you got in and are having such a amazing visit to NYC! :)

whoa! bitter in a good way for AI!

that last bit, "People do not like this show," says a veteran producer. "It's too loud and you can't hear the lyrics. The book's full of clichés. Youthful angst is getting boring." -- is funny to me because alot of fans were somewhat complaining that the actors were over-enunciating the lyrics and when i saw it, i really thought it was going to be louder! haha!

Does anyone know where this book, that is suppose to be" full of cliches" can be found?? Can the AI book be bought somewhere? thanks!

whoa! bitter in a good way for AI!

that last bit, "People do not like this show," says a veteran producer. "It's too loud and you can't hear the lyrics. The book's full of clichés. Youthful angst is getting boring." -- is funny to me because alot of fans were somewhat complaining that the actors were over-enunciating the lyrics and when i saw it, i really thought it was going to be louder! haha!

Does anyone know where this book, that is suppose to be" full of cliches" can be found?? Can the AI book be bought somewhere? thanks!

The "book" means the story to the musical. It's a technical reference. (And sorry if you know this, my bad.)

And yes, that producer is full of crap.

Quick and dirty from WIKI:

"Book musicals

The 20th century "book musical" has been defined as a musical play where the songs and dances are fully integrated into a well-made story, with serious dramatic goals, that is able to evoke genuine emotions other than laughter.[2] The three main components of a book musical are the music, the lyrics, and the book. The book of a musical refers to the story – in effect, its spoken (not sung) lines; however, "book" can also refer to the dialogue and lyrics together, which are sometimes referred to (as in opera) as the libretto (Italian for “little book”). The music and lyrics together form the score of the musical. The interpretation of the musical by the creative team of each production heavily influences the way in which the musical is presented. That team includes a director, a musical director, usually a choreographer and sometimes an orchestrator. A musical's production is also creatively characterized by technical aspects, such as set design, costumes, stage properties (props), lighting and sound, which generally change from the original production to succeeding productions. Some famous production elements, however, may be retained from the original production; for example, Bob Fosse's choreography in Chicago.

There is no fixed length for a musical. It can range from a short one-act entertainment to several acts and several hours in length (or even a multi-evening presentation); however, most musicals range from one and a half hours to three hours. Musicals are usually presented in two acts, with one intermission ten to twenty minutes in length. The first act is frequently longer than the second act. It generally introduces nearly all of the characters and most of the music, and often ends with the introduction of a dramatic conflict or plot complication. The second act may introduce a few new songs but usually contains reprises of important musical themes and resolves the conflict or complication. A book musical is usually built around four to six main theme tunes that are reprised later in the show, although it sometimes consists of a series of songs not directly musically related. Spoken dialogue is generally interspersed between musical numbers, although "sung dialogue" or recitative may be used, especially in so-called "sung-through" musicals such as Jesus Christ Superstar, Les Misérables, and Evita. Several shorter musicals on Broadway and in the West End have been presented in one act in recent decades.

A Gaiety Girl (1893) was one of the first hit musicals.

A book musical's moments of greatest dramatic intensity are often performed in song. Proverbially, "when the emotion becomes too strong for speech you sing; when it becomes too strong for song, you dance." In a book musical, a song is ideally crafted to suit the character (or characters) and their situation within the story; although there have been times in the history of the musical (e.g. from the 1890s to the 1920s) when this integration between music and story has been tenuous. As New York Times critic Ben Brantley described the ideal of song in theatre in reviewing the 2008 revival of Gypsy, "There is no separation at all between song and character, which is what happens in those uncommon moments when musicals reach upward to achieve their ideal reasons to be."[3] Typically, many fewer words are sung in a five-minute song than are spoken in a five-minute block of dialogue. Therefore there is less time to develop drama in a musical than in a straight play of equivalent length, since a musical usually devotes more time to music than to dialogue. Within the compressed nature of the musical, the writers must develop the characters and the plot.

The material for musicals is often original, but many musicals are adapted from novels (Wicked and Man of La Mancha), plays (Hello, Dolly!), classic legends (Camelot), historical events (Evita) or films (The Producers and Hairspray). On the other hand, many successful musical theatre works have been adapted for musical films, such as The Sound of Music, West Side Story, My Fair Lady, and Chicago."

I don't know if it's true you can't hear the lyrics as I haven't seen the show and I'm already very familiar with the lyrics so I'd hear them anyway, but I see where the fans saying they're over-enunciating the lyrics come from. In musical, or basically any stage art, you have to talk much clearer and pronounce things clearer, articulating more/better (?) than you would in normal life, simply because otherwise people, especially in the back of the crowd, just can't hear what you're saying well. When you compare that to Billie's mumbling, it probably makes quite the contrast and makes you notice far more how clearer/different the actors are singing the lyrics.

And the book, I don't think he's talking about a literal book, more about the story of the musical.

Sorry, I'm sure other people can explain this much better. Stupid language barrier :lol:

edit: too slow.

The "book" means the story to the musical. It's a technical reference. (And sorry if you know this, my bad.)

And yes, that producer is full of crap.

Quick and dirty from WIKI:

"Book musicals

The 20th century "book musical" has been defined as a musical play where the songs and dances are fully integrated into a well-made story, .................

whoa, hehe, got it! Thank you Tanya! makes more sense now.

What the hell does he mean people don't like it? It's a fan-favorite!

The Tony's need to get some younger blood, old people don't like innovation!

NY peeps will be able to see this: (maybe someone is able to record and share with the rest of us???? please??)

Theatre Talk will feature Billie Joe Armstrong, composer-lyricist, Michael Mayer, director, from "American Idiot" based on the album by Green Day on Thirteen Friday, May 7 at 12:30 AM and on CUNY TV Saturday, May 8th at 8:30 PM, Sunday, May 9th at 12:30 PM and Monday, May 10th at 7:30 AM, 1:30 PM, and 7:30 PM

Billie Joe Armstrong, composer and lyricist of the Tony-nominated musical American Idiot, based on the best-selling album he created with his band Green Day. He is joined by director Michael Mayer, who had the vision to transform American Idiot from a rock opera into a critically acclaimed musical for the stage.

Theatre Talk airs 10 times weekly in the New York area: on PBS station thirteen and NJN, plus WNYC and CUNY and is hosted by Michael Riedel, Broadway columnist for the New York Post and series producer Susan Haskins.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Theater_Talk_Features_AMERICAN_IDIOTS_Armstrong_and_Mayer_May_7_20100505

What the hell does he mean people don't like it? It's a fan-favorite!

The Tony's need to get some younger blood, old people don't like innovation!

Now you know why the cast was so pissed off after the nominations.

I am going to the Drama Desk Awards cocktail party today. It's a much more laid back affair. They judge Broadway and off-Broadway together, and seriously, are much fairer in their categories. Of course, no one knows about them is the problem, except an odd mixture of the NYC theater crowd. Luckily, they don't have huge sticks up their butts like the Tonys.

Drama Desk Awards nominees

What the hell does he mean people don't like it?

He means that he's a producer of a different show that's currently flopping. :P

^ :woot:

I have a bit of a strange question. Does anyone know if there might be anything left (like, posters, leaflets, programs, anything really) from this show at the Berkeley Rep?

try and contact Niki Lee on facebook. she may have something left from the Berkeley Rep.

He means that he's a producer of a different show that's currently flopping. :P

hahaha! :lol:

try and contact Niki Lee on facebook. she may have something left from the Berkeley Rep.

Thanks, but I mean, like, actually at (or in.. I fail at English prepositions) the Berkeley Rep, the building.