American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Thanx!! I'm just wondering - has anybody seen the performances of actors who got placed in these categories? Like, how was the competition?

No, but maybe Incendiary Girl or Plaid Ducky or sundaymornin6am have?

I really don't go and see musicals very often. Not really my thing.

Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical

Kelsey Grammer La Cage aux Folles

Sean Hayes Promises, Promises

Douglas Hodge La Cage aux Folles

Chad Kimball Memphis

Sahr Ngaujah Fela!

Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical

Kevin Chamberlin The Addams Family

Robin De Jesús La Cage aux Folles

Christopher Fitzgerald Finian's Rainbow

Levi Kreis Million Dollar Quartet

Bobby Steggert Ragtime

Chad Kimball Memphis

Sahr Ngaujah Fela!

Bobby Steggert Ragtime

I just feel that saying this person or that was 'robbed' is kind of disrespectul to other actors who are presumably giving their all in shows that maybe no-one here has seen. I've never even heard of most of them.

check it,

The subsection of the neighborhood adjacent to the Oakland Estuary is called Jingletown, also called "JT" by East Oakland natives.[1] The history of Jingletown begins with its name, originating from a habit of nearby mill workers, largely males of Portuguese and Azorean background, who would jingle the coins from a week's work in their pockets as they walked to display their prosperity. With the closure of the mill, the neighborhood fell into disrepair and became host to major gang and drug activity. In 1998, the neighborhood became home to an award-winning affordable housing project that has helped to revitalize the community.[2]

Thanks, I was thinking about this in regards to Theo's characterization, since he's the representative.

I just feel that saying this person or that was 'robbed' is kind of disrespectul to other actors who are presumably giving their all in shows that maybe no-one here has seen. I've never even heard of most of them.

Very true. That's why I kinda kept out of that one. :)

Very true. That's why I kinda kept out of that one. :)

What's the biggest expense of a production like this? Is it the theater itself, or other stuff?

its not meant to disrespect for the others...personally i use the phrase just to express that i thought it was deserved by someone. just a hack writer i am. i wouldnt look too deeply into it...

its not meant to disrespect for the others...personally i use the phrase just to express that i thought it was deserved by someone. just a hack writer i am. i wouldnt look too deeply into it...

I understand. :) I'm just conscious of how many actors are out there striving all the time, and that for most people here, the AI actors are just the ones we know about.

I understand. :) I'm just conscious of how many actors are out there striving all the time, and that for most people here, the AI actors are just the ones we know about.

im no broadway gal...i cant even fathom the number of talented talented folks out there. my love for the creative team behind this show comes from the sheer amazement of how they brought this precious album to life. as both jnet and i were saying, i think we are really really lucky as green day fans to appreciate this show more than the non-fan theatergoer. does that make me biased? hellz yeah!

Chad Kimball Memphis

Sahr Ngaujah Fela!

Bobby Steggert Ragtime

While some didn't like him, I enjoyed Sean Hayes and he was the one of the standouts for me out of a lackluster production. Sahr is great, too. Chad, I've heard, is one of the better parts of "Memphis." Hodge has been said to be a lock for the Tony in that category for a while. Kelsey, on the other hand, is okay. He's good but for me, Hodge stole the show which meant it be a little difficult to pay attention to Kelsey. LOL. As I put in my predictions for Gold Derby, I had Gallagher instead of Grammer but honestly, it was a tough category. There were two others that could have been right in there.

Bobby is awesome and I love that he got a nomination. Kevin is also good in a lackluster production. Robin steals his scenes in La Cage. I didn't see Finian's or Million Dollar Quartet but I heard good things about Fitzgerald and Kreis.

For Tony, who's been batted around for a nomination since Berkeley, I think the fact that it's not quite understanding the character that made it difficult to nominate him. :ermm:

That being said, I'm not disrespecting anyone. All of those nominees are great and quite honestly, after the Drama Desk nominations were released, I kind-of knew that John and Tony wouldn't be nominated. However, the Tom Kitt snub for orchestration... that's ridiculous. He should have gotten it over "Promises, Promises" which, apparently, is very much like the original score. :dry:

ETA: Opening Night Press doesn't have a vote this year so whether or not a show got good reviews isn't going to be helpful in deciphering who's going to win what.

While some didn't like him, I enjoyed Sean Hayes and he was the one of the standouts for me out of a lackluster production. Sahr is great, too. Chad, I've heard, is one of the better parts of "Memphis." Hodge has been said to be a lock for the Tony in that category for a while. Kelsey, on the other hand, is okay. He's good but for me, Hodge stole the show which meant it be a little difficult to pay attention to Kelsey. LOL. As I put in my predictions for Gold Derby, I had Gallagher instead of Grammer but honestly, it was a tough category. There were two others that could have been right in there.

Bobby is awesome and I love that he got a nomination. Kevin is also good in a lackluster production. Robin steals his scenes in La Cage. I didn't see Finian's or Million Dollar Quartet but I heard good things about Fitzgerald and Kreis.

For Tony, who's been batted around for a nomination since Berkeley, I think the fact that it's not quite understanding the character that made it difficult to nominate him. :ermm:

That being said, I'm not disrespecting anyone. All of those nominees are great and quite honestly, after the Drama Desk nominations were released, I kind-of knew that John and Tony wouldn't be nominated. However, the Tom Kitt snub for orchestration... that's ridiculous. He should have gotten it over "Promises, Promises" which, apparently, is very much like the original score. :dry:

ETA: Opening Night Press doesn't have a vote this year so whether or not a show got good reviews isn't going to be helpful in deciphering who's going to win what.

Thanx for that - I think it's good to put this stuff in context. Do you know the answer to question I put earlier - what's the biggest expense of a production like AI? Is it the theater itself, or other stuff?

Im so happy for the three nominations!! :woot:

though it sucks they didnt get idividual nominations =/

Hey, I'm sorry just to randomly join in on this thread, but i was wondering if the awards show will be broadcast on tv? :D and if it is, where?

sorry if this has already been asked/answered or if it's a stupid question... =/

Hey, I'm sorry just to randomly join in on this thread, but i was wondering if the awards show will be broadcast on tv? :D and if it is, where?

sorry if this has already been asked/answered or if it's a stupid question... =/

It airs on CBS here in the States on June 13. I don't know elsewhere. Sorry. They might be streaming it, though...

Thanx for that - I think it's good to put this stuff in context. Do you know the answer to question I put earlier - what's the biggest expense of a production like AI? Is it the theater itself, or other stuff?

Sorry. I didn't see it. Um... according to one of the producer, American Idiot cost seven figure number (so in the millions). The seven figure number is how much the producers put in to actually have the show be on Broadway so the money that is made goes back to them, in a way. The breakdown is the lease on the theatre, the staffing of the theatre, the cast, the band, the stagehands, the costumers/make-up/hair, the production crew, the marketing team, the publicity team... not to mention the cost of lighting, sets, costumes, props, instruments, etc. And then they're the weekly cost which is the theatre and salaries among other things. So, it's an expensive production and I don't think that there's one particular thing that cost more than others. However, I would say that if there was a smaller theatre available (I would have love to have had it in the Booth but "Next To Normal" is there), it would probably be selling better, in terms of filling capacity.

Union actors and union stage hands, tech crew, etc., are a bitch of an expense. Payroll can kill you when you're Union.

And while I love the St. James, I wish they had gone to a smaller theater. 1600 seats to sell a night is hard to do for any show.

Sorry. I didn't see it. Um... according to one of the producer, American Idiot cost seven figure number (so in the millions). The seven figure number is how much the producers put in to actually have the show be on Broadway so the money that is made goes back to them, in a way. The breakdown is the lease on the theatre, the staffing of the theatre, the cast, the band, the stagehands, the costumers/make-up/hair, the production crew, the marketing team, the publicity team... not to mention the cost of lighting, sets, costumes, props, instruments, etc. And then they're the weekly cost which is the theatre and salaries among other things. So, it's an expensive production and I don't think that there's one particular thing that cost more than others. However, I would say that if there was a smaller theatre available (I would have love to have had it in the Booth but "Next To Normal" is there), it would probably be selling better, in terms of filling capacity.

That's where I'm going with this - like, if it doesn't sell well enough where it is, could it move to somewhere with lower overheads and keep going?

Anyone else see similarities between American Idiot and Avatar here? In terms of nominations (and perhaps popularity)?

Anyone else see similarities between American Idiot and Avatar here? In terms of nominations (and perhaps popularity)?

That was my exact thought. So Avatar wins only a couple, maybe because AI was only nominated once they have a better chance. In this scenario at least.

That's where I'm going with this - like, if it doesn't sell well enough where it is, could it move to somewhere with lower overheads and keep going?

Didn't Finian's Rainbow get moved out of the St. James for American Idiot and will be remounted at another theater? Did I remember that correctly?

Didn't Finian's Rainbow get moved out of the St. James for American Idiot and will be remounted at another theater? Did I remember that correctly?

Finian's Rainbow was at the St. James, but I don't think it's being transferred anywhere. It's grosses were pretty horrid.

I am PISSED about the snubbing that AI received from the committee this morning.

Seriously? Not even close. To give you a little perspective, Avatar made more money in it's run than the Ford Corporation did in 2009 (2.9 BILLION $ worldwide). It is, however, almost a guarantee now that Playtone will make the movie and most likely by Universal Pictures.

You missed my point completely. Avatar and American Idiot are both shows that got nominated as Best Picture/Musical, but received no noms for their actors. Both shows also were nominated for their visual aspects. And both have been greatly critized for weak predictable plots that critics felt they'd seen many times before.

I was hoping for more nominations just so the show will have more staying power on Broadway. The sales have been dropping and if it doesn't win Best Musical, I can see it close come Fall/Winter. And I love the show! It's just that, at the end of the day, it needs to make more money. :unsure:

Exactly my thoughts, i want it to stay for the selfish reason that i might have more chance to see it :unsure:

Cast album out in the UK May 10th! woohoo! :D I wonder if they will sell it in HMV...

the New Yorker wrote up a piece on American Idiot. I believe only subscribers have access to it online. John Lahr has lots of positive things to say about the show with a side of whining about the lack of characterization. He also wubs our little Billie Joe.

new yorker american idiot review

It airs on CBS here in the States on June 13. I don't know elsewhere. Sorry. They might be streaming it, though...

thank you :D i think i have CBS on Sky somwhere...

That was my exact thought. So Avatar wins only a couple, maybe because AI was only nominated once they have a better chance. In this scenario at least.

Yeah. In my experience Popularity doesnt always = Awards.

the New Yorker wrote up a piece on American Idiot. I believe only subscribers have access to it online. John Lahr has lots of positive things to say about the show with a side of whining about the lack of characterization. He also wubs our little Billie Joe.

new yorker american idiot review

I read that today. Good review.

I did a rough scan of it.

New Yorker Review Page 1

New Yorker Review page 2

Just to to the site, it's probably better.