American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I thought Theo was playing a hobo...or a druggie. The crazy eyes and movements/gestures just seemed that way for me. That said, I think the spoken-word section needs to be more angry, less snarky.

Hi !

My very first post on here and i was aware of GD before but i sort of really discovered them through the AI Broadway show (hope to travel to NY to see it one day). Would just like to say that i really enjoyed reading this discussion. My own thoughts on Theo's performance went more with HoneyDo666's interpretation though, the whole song is a sort of protest song, isn't it ? :)

Edited by Dutch

Hi !

My very first post on here and i was aware of GD before but i sort of really discovered them through the AI Broadway show (hope to travel to NY to see it one day). Would just like to say that i really enjoyed reading this discussion. My own interpretation of Theo's performance went more with HoneyDo666's interpretation though, the whole song is a sort of protest song, isn't it ? :)

Hi and Welcome!!! One thing I love about Green Day's music is how open to interpretation it is. When we discuss songs, we often find many meanings that we'd never thought of before.

I do hope you get to see the show someday - it's been one of my favorite treats last year and this year. Have you listened to the cast recording? I'm not sure how it would seem to someone who hasn't seen the show, but I'm loving it. It brings everything back so vividly :).

Hi and Welcome!!! One thing I love about Green Day's music is how open to interpretation it is. When we discuss songs, we often find many meanings that we'd never thought of before.

I do hope you get to see the show someday - it's been one of my favorite treats last year and this year. Have you listened to the cast recording? I'm not sure how it would seem to someone who hasn't seen the show, but I'm loving it. It brings everything back so vividly :).

Thank you :)

That is the odd thing about it i think. I am only listening and growing to really like the original GD cd's since the end of last year and now i am already hearing different interpretations to the same songs. Was very much used to the former Spring Awakening people's and especially John's voices already though. I do hear the difference between the original AI cd.....raw and fresh from the time it comes from and the situation it's protesting against. And then there is the cast recording, i really love that one as well, it sucked me right into the story (after reading the synopsis that is :unsure: ) I really enjoy listening to the three leads voices, can't help singing along and have a huge girl-crush on Rebecca's voice :)

Hi !

My very first post on here and i was aware of GD before but i sort of really discovered them through the AI Broadway show (hope to travel to NY to see it one day). Would just like to say that i really enjoyed reading this discussion. My own thoughts on Theo's performance went more with HoneyDo666's interpretation though, the whole song is a sort of protest song, isn't it ? :)

Hi! Welcome to the world's greatest forum!

Hi! Welcome to the world's greatest forum!

Thank you :) Will be reading more then posting for now though, i am still quite green on the subject....pun intended ;) I am drinking in everything i can find about the show though, only hoping to be able to see it myself one day, fingers crossed that will be with the current cast (and especially John, Tony, Rebecca and Theo) still in it =/

Edited by Dutch

Thank you :) Will be reading more then posting for now though, i am still quite green on the subject....pun intended ;) I am drinking in everything i can find about the show though, only hoping to be able to see it myself one day, fingers crossed that will be with the current cast (and especially John, Tony, Rebecca and Theo) still in it =/

I was totally green 5 years ago, but I assimilated pretty quickly once I joined this forum. 4 years on and loving it!

I'm seeing the show in 12 days, and since everyone likes reviews, I will post my recap and photos!

i saw it. it was amazing. My fav line was from jimmy (aka Jesus Of Suburbia/Saint Jimmy)

"take a f'ckin shower!"

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was amazing.

It varies by production and the backers. It's pretty much all about money. Heh... Like "The Addams Family" (which got worse reviews than "American Idiot" but is certainly raking in the moolah) announced today that they're doing a tour starting in September of next year. If the production can rake in the money, then it has a better chance of tour or having an international production, etc. Many shows on Broadway right now have a tour or at least have a planned tour.

Does that answer your question?

Yeah thanks :)

i saw it. it was amazing. My fav line was from jimmy (aka Jesus Of Suburbia/Saint Jimmy)

"take a f'ckin shower!"

Johnny.

At that point of the show, St. Jimmy is already gone.

I really want to see the show again :(

i told you and your mom that your moving here! LOL

well, just come back and visit. ill go see it with you <3

i told you and your mom that your moving here! LOL

well, just come back and visit. ill go see it with you <3

:D UGH, how I wish I could..

Hmmmm, such deep discussion about the Holiday performance in the musical. Too deep for me tonight, but I do enjoy reading the various POVs. I think I always thought BJ was referring to Bush rather than Hitler.

Theo Stockman does sing that portion (Sieg Heil...) with a great deal of flamboyance. I enjoy that he sings it with so much glee, but at the same time, I find that solo a little jarring and perhaps more "Broadway" than the rest of the performance. It makes me cringe, just a little.

I'd love to see it again also!! :wub: I LOVED the performance! I had a rather tall gentleman sitting in front of me and I was constantly looking from one side or his head to the other to see what was happening on each end of the stage. I would love to see what I may have missed. Rebecca Naomi Jones (Whatsername)'s version of "Letterbomb" on the cast recording and in the musical blew me away! It's my favorite part-chick rage and all! Oh, the frustration!

That was a great discussion earlier about Theo Stockman's part in "Holiday". That was the part of the song that really has had me bugged. I agree that the "bang, bang" part should be strong, meaner, tougher? When I first heard it, I thought he must be doing jazz-hands while he's doing that! But I like the explanations here. He really has that crazed look about him down!

So now Im thinking about going back in the summer once I finish up school. It was such a great show and the cast is so nice.

So now Im thinking about going back in the summer once I finish up school. It was such a great show and the cast is so nice.

aww yeah i love the cast! such nice/amazing people

aww yeah i love the cast! such nice/amazing people

Agreed, as always. SO happy I go to talk with John today, it along with the other shows I saw really made my day!

American Idiot was nominated for 3 Drama Desk Awards: one for Best Musical, one for Michael Mayer in Direction, and one for Tom Kitt for Orchestrations (which he's also up for for "Everyday Rapture").

Tony nominations will be announced tomorrow morning. I'll post if "American Idiot" gets any and if no one else does post before me. :)

Theo Stockman does sing that portion (Sieg Heil...) with a great deal of flamboyance. I enjoy that he sings it with so much glee, but at the same time, I find that solo a little jarring and perhaps more "Broadway" than the rest of the performance. It makes me cringe, just a little.

To me anyway, Theo is horning in, very satirically (in true BJA fashion), on the "kill all the fags" line in Holiday and taking a huge shot at G.W. Bush, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, U.S. foreign policy generally, and both gay and anti-patriotic sterotyping all in one shot. When this is done live during the show with the full set in force and all sorts of current-events newsreel images getting displayed on the monitors in the background, the whole things works very effectively IMO.

That's glee as opposed to Glee, right? :lol: Strangely enough, his performance in the clip was the one I actually liked - he has a kind of Emcee-from-Cabaret thing going on, which fits perfectly with all of the Nazi metaphors in what he's saying. Makes me wonder how this show might have been if they'd gone full-on theatrical instead of being so faithful to a literal envisioning of the album. I'm just musing that an all jazz-hands, Broadway version of AI could've created the kind of counterpoint that holds up a mirror to what the album is saying.

OMG I'm probably seeing this in August! :woot::woot::woot: OH MY! My mom and I were thinking about going to NY since my dad has to work, but I didn't tell her about my idea of seeing the musical yet. And then today, she comes home and she's like "I have a plan for summer ... We're going to Broadway." I was like OMG mom, I love you. :lol:

I'm really excited about seeing NY again too, loved it there! :wub:

Saw it two days ago, and it was amazing. it's like the album changed my life...again. Definitely want to go and see it again.

My favourite part was with Johnny, Whatsername, St. Jimmy, and the knife, but i was a little confused and thought there needed to be a lot more interaction between them all at that point. And i think, surprisingly, my favourite song was Letterbomb, even though that was never my favourite when the album first came out. Naomi captures all the bleeding emotions in it so well, especially with that scream.