American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

she's the girl with the Billie tattoo! she's awesome!

also loving this quotes:

But from the moment the curtain rises on a panorama of baleful youngsters at the venerable St. James Theater, where the show opened on Tuesday night, it’s clear that these kids are going to make themselves at home, even if it means tearing up the place in the process.

“American Idiot” is a true rock opera, almost exclusively using the music of Green Day and the lyrics of its kohl-eyed frontman, Billie Joe Armstrong, to tell its story

But the emotion charge that the show generates is as memorable as the music. “American Idiot” jolts you right back to the dizzying roller coaster of young adulthood, that turbulent time when ecstasy and misery almost seem interchangeable states, flip sides of the coin of exaltation. It captures with a piercing intensity that moment in life when everything seems possible, and nothing seems worth doing, or maybe it’s the other way around.

damnnnnn! its up already?

and thanks you guys :wub:

Bet he wrote it during the previews and held it from press 'til after the official opening. Still, wow and :woot: !!

GAH! I wish I was at the after party!

Adie looks gorgeous as usual!

Thanks so much for the pics! And thank you NY Times for such a wonderful review!

Wow great pictures! This whole night is so exciting. This is a band that started out playing shows for 5 people. Now they have a musical on Broadway. God I can't even begin to express how proud I am to be a fan right now. I'm so proud of our boys :happy:

Oh my god, those are awesome photos!

Adie is so pretty!!!

Andd I totally wish I was at the after party! Argh!!!

Thank you to whoever posted those photos!

Wow great pictures! This whole night is so exciting. This is a band that started out playing shows for 5 people. Now they have a musical on Broadway. God I can't even begin to express how proud I am to be a fan right now. I'm so proud of our boys :happy:

thanks! btw were you there?

That New York Times review put the biggest smile on my face. So happy for the band, the cast, crew, everyone involved!

That New York Times review put the biggest smile on my face. So happy for the band, the cast, crew, everyone involved!

It should. The NYT is the toughest Broadway critic there is, if you win them, that's the biggest compliment you can get!

SWEET PIX

And they are playing a gig. Beth is standing outside of the venue? LUCKY PEOPLE

TRE'S HAIR IS FLUFFY AGAIN!!!!!!!!! :woot::wub:

Sorry, I'm excited!

I hope I'll be able to go over the summer or something :(

Ouch. That was harsh.

But doesn't matter, because seems like most everyone else liked it.

According to BWW, besides Bloomberg and NYT:

Boston Herald: Mixed

Backstage.com: Positive

Chicago Tribune: Very Positive

AP: Mixed-to-Positive/Positive

USA Today: Very Positive

Hollywood Reporter: Mixed

EW: Mixed-to-Positive

Finacial Times: Positive

Observer: Mixed-to-Negative

Oh, Talking Broadway's his review is mixed, but he absolutely hated John:

In his own universe, however, is Gallagher. He takes his unique brand of overacting (which inexplicably earned him a Tony for Spring Awakening) to astonishing and embarrassing new heights, making mincemeat of the internal confliction that's supposed to drive Johnny from despair to drugs and back again. He overenunciates every word, overarticulates every action (no one, but no one, plays a guitar as fake-emphatically as he does here), and grossly underrepresents anything that could be mistaken for subtlety or introspection. Johnny may view the world as an ugly place, but can still get lost in it — Gallagher is just pounding on the windows, his transparently affected rage exactly the excess of artifice the show attacks.

Whaa...?

New York Magazine didn't like it either:

Twenty-First Century Breakdown

The phony, empty-headed mess that is American Idiot.

http://nymag.com/arts/theater/reviews/65582/

This one from The Toronto Star is a lot more positive:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/theatre/article/798407--american-idiot-a-new-kind-of-musical

I'll post my recap along with pics tomorrow. I didn't meet the band but I did meet Adrienne, Jeff, and both Jasons

Thanks for the pictures and for the recap. That should have been a blast :woot:

Did Green Day actually perform at the after show party?

No they didn't =/

i wish they did!

Oh, thanks Katie :/

Btw Are you still awake? :lol:

I bet it's impossible to fall asleep after a night like that.

I know! I really do need to go to bed! but i got videos to edit and upload!!! and i'm in complete shock!! tonight was the best night of my life!

its 4am now and i have to be up around 9am to check out of the hotel :P