American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I'm glad almost everyone here that saw the show liked it! (Even though you'd seen it before.) I was talking to Tony after at Sardis and he said they're still making changes every day and in fact there were tiny charges made in the time between the final dress and the first preview.

I'm still in a little bit of shock-and-awe. I had tears in my eyes when the curtain was going up last night and I literally had no words when I got to talk to Tre and Billie (I saw Mike, but then when I gathered the chutzpah to say something to him, I couldn't find him). Maybe next time I'll be able to get pictures with them.

I'm playing the lottery tomorrow with a friend who wants to see the show because well... hey, I live here! I'll probably play it MANY times until I win at least once!

Well, I went out and saw the opening night of previews last night. Allow me to tell you about my experience.

Let me first begin by saying that I am a huge fan of Green Day, as well as a Broadway musical buff. So the two should go together perfectly, right? Not always. There's always a bit of apprehension when you take one piece of art and try to transcend genres. When presales were going on I was convinced by three different friends to go three different nights. Normally I wouldn't make a bet like that. I swallowed whatever doubt I had in mind and shelled out the cash for the dates.

I got to the theatre at about 7:30 in the evening and already there was a line half an avenue long. For those of you who have never been to New York to appreciate the length of our avenues, trust me when I say that a line going down an avenue is a sight to behold. So I got to the back of the line.

The most interesting thing to me, up to this point, was the assortment of people that had gathered to see this show. These were, for the most part, not a group of people that I would expect to see at a Green Day concert. The two men standing in front of me seemed more interested in discussing the production of "Enron" that was coming to the theatre across the way. The family in back of me brought their two sons, the oldest being no more than eight years old. And of course, the middle aged man who referred to the writer of the music as "Billie Joel".

Not too long after getting in line, I got to my seat and waited for the show to begin. The audience broke into premature applause suddenly and brought themselves to their feet. Curious, I stood and found that they had been applauding Billie Joe's entrance. This doesn't happen often, but I felt surreal for him. Now, I've met Billie before, but it's always been after concerts or this one time in a cafe. Either way, he was in his element. But last night, I was honestly surprised. One doesn't normally think of a punk rocker sitting down at a Broadway show.

Usually, a production of this magnitude starts as follows: The lights in the hallway flicker on and off. The last minute stragglers rush to their seats. The house lights go down and the orchestra begins its tune up and proceeds to the overture. Fuck that, this is Green Day.

The house lights are still on when the PA starts making an announcement. In the din of the audience, some of the words are drowned out, but soon enough the curtain rises and everyone shuts up. The story has begun.

I don't want to spoil any of the story for anyone out there. Granted, we all know the general gist, but still. This production gives a whole new read on the story of American Idiot.

I loved it.

Thinking about this show afterwards, I tried to piece together exactly what made me love it so. I figured it out on my walk home. The musical production of American Idiot threw me right back to when I was fifteen and falling in love with the American Idiot album.

Allow me to elaborate. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but in the six years that the album has been out, I have probably listened to American idiot more than any other piece of music. When I was a freshman in high school, I remember relating to all the lyrics in my own way. To me, it was a story about the rage that all adolescents experience when growing up. Of course I could relate to that. Over the years, American idiot has remained at the top of my play lists, but, as with any other piece of music that is played on a near constant repeat, the initial impact is soon lost. But last night as I sat in the audience listening the lyrics that practically defined my high school experience, and watching the stellar performance of the cast, it felt like I was experiencing American Idiot for the first time.

The album and the musical almost the same story. American Idiot the album is more centered on the life of Jesus of Suburbia, or Johnny. Every song is about him and his personal experiences. The musical, introduces the characters of Will and Tunny, Johnny's best friends. The three go their separate ways for various reasons, and we follow each of their personal experiences. It is less about one character that the listener may or may not completely relate to and more about each of us having our own story, but the same story. I can relate to the story of American Idiot even more so now than I did back in 2004. Johnny's story is my story: a young man who has grown up in suburbia and is restless to do more with his life.

I was a little worried going into the show, especially knowing that I was going to see it at least two more times. What if it was an absolute clusterfuck on the stage and had destroyed everything that I had come to know and love about Green Day's music? Coming out, I knew I would be back to see the next two shows. And probably a few more times in the future.

To anyone that is concerned that the lack of Billie, Mike and Tré take away from the music, please don't worry. No, the band is not the three boys. A an entire cast is now singing the lyrics. But you can deffinately find traces of the boys in the actor's performances. It is different but incredibly familiar. Everything from the Billie-like shyness of Johnny when he sings "When It's Time" to Whatsername to the flamboyant cast member who has watched more than just a couple videos of Tré joking around on YouTube. The actors are so full of passion and you can honestly tell that they put their all into the story.

Green Day has truly created a masterpiece. And with the help of Michael Mayer, they have created a whole new masterpiece. Of course I knew that personally when I was in my seat. But when I got outside after the show, I saw a middle aged man, dressed in a three piece suit. He doesn't look to be the type that would ever been seen at a Green Day show. He said to his companion, "Damn, I need to go out and actually buy this album". This is where I am completely confident in saying that American Idiot is a masterpiece. It has seamlessly transcended from one genre to another. I can easily see a theatre snob picking up and Green Day record and perhaps diving into a Clash album. I can see a punk fan maybe going out to see some other musical that is completely contrary to what they would normally listen to.

Simply put, anyone that can see this, should. Lame way to end this tirade, but I don't think I can express it any more simply.

Jimmy

Wow, Jimmy...that was excellent! I am glad it didn't disappoint - I could certainly understand your apprehension ahead of time.

Love that little story about the guy at the end. :)

Simply put, anyone that can see this, should. Lame way to end this tirade, but I don't think I can express it any more simply.

Jimmy

Damn you, Jimmy, for making me cry! :) that was wonderful!

Thanks Jimmy. You make me happy that I've bought tickets and planned a vacation around them.

JFC. I'm just so proud of them.

I think that's one of the biggest emotions I had watching it last night - pride for them, proud of being a fan, pride for their accomplishment, proud OF them. :happy:

Well, I went out and saw the opening night of previews last night. Allow me to tell you about my experience.

Jimmy

Thank you so much for sharing that! :) I had some of the same fears as you going in, and the same feelings coming out. There were a whole lotta worlds colliding there last night - it always amazed me before how Green Day's music does that, and this was just to another level.

Jimmy

Didnt want to quote the whole thing because it is so long, but that was really great review. I dont think ill ever get to see the show but if the cast album is half as good as the live show is being made out to be then ill settle for that :happy:

Yeah I know.. I actually have a day off tomorrow..

hmm, I just had three days off but tomorrow I have two tests. Maybe Saturday?

Jimmy

Thanks for your recap, it was great! :happy:

and thanks everyone else too for their little recaps (:

hmm, I just had three days off but tomorrow I have two tests. Maybe Saturday?

Kay, ehm.. I have to do something for homework/school in the morning, but other than that.. Saturday is fine.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful recaps, I loved reading all of them! :D

Green Day has truly created a masterpiece. And with the help of Michael Mayer, they have created a whole new masterpiece.

I couldn't agree more, Jimmy, and thanks so much for writing this wonderful recap! Are you going to this Saturday's show? I'll be there and would love to meet you. There'll be a lot of other GDC folks there, too, if you're interested in meeting up.

I saw the show 5 times in Berkeley, and last night was just as exciting as seeing it for the first time again. It's hard to get enough of it. Fortunate are the New Yorkers who can see it whenever they please :).

It's interesting to see the response on the Broadway World Forums (I'm glad ours has mods like J'net, that forum is a mess, they don't keep subjects in a single thread):

It seems that the theater going crowd's reaction so far is just as mixed as it was for Berkeley. Most seem to agree the show has strong vocals, good energy, and great spectacle. For those that don't like it, they bemoan the lack of book. Also, a number don't seem too keen on Extraordinary Girl (nothing new there either).

Heres the links for the threads I was looking at, in case anyone is interested in reading their reviews:

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?page=1&thread=1013380&boardid=0

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1013358&dt=29&boardid=1

It's interesting to see the response on the Broadway World Forums (I'm glad ours has mods like J'net, that forum is a mess, they don't keep subjects in a single thread):

It seems that the theater going crowd's reaction so far is just as mixed as it was for Berkeley. Most seem to agree the show has strong vocals, good energy, and great spectacle. For those that don't like it, they bemoan the lack of book. Also, a number don't seem too keen on Extraordinary Girl (nothing new there either).

Heres the links for the threads I was looking at, in case anyone is interested in reading their reviews:

Thanks, Justin :) for the comment and for posting these links.

And you guys may have thought I was being cruel back in September. Wait until the theater crowd reviews start coming out...

As to what they say about the book, I am much more of a experimental theater geek where book takes backstage to the staging itself in many ways, that's why I don't make much criticisms of it because for me, it works. I'm much more used to getting a story through the action combined with sometimes slim stories, that for me, I get what's happening on stage. A lot of B'way people won't dare enter a black box stage of "those kinds of actors." So, they demand a "book" to help them absorb the story. I say poop on them.

One of the people over there said it wasn't dynamic. I think that person is on crack.

Anyhoo... :whistle

Don't get me started on the B'way crowd... :ninja:

What I agree with:

I do agree with two things that was said: the flying scene may be interesting, but I still think Peter Pan and I would rather it not be there. Also, someone mentioned that Michael Mayer was no director like the guy who did The Wall. I agree. A less mainstream director may have pushed the limits much better than he does. But... whatever.

And you guys may have thought I was being cruel back in September. Wait until the theater crowd reviews start coming out...

As to the book, I am much more of a experimental theater geek where book took backstage to the staging itself in many ways, that's why I don't make much criticisms of it because for me, it works. I'm much more used to getting a story through the action combined with sometimes slim stories, that for me, I get what's happening on stage. A lot of B'way people won't dare enter a black box stage of "those kinds of actors." So, they demand a "book" to help them absorb the story. I say poop on them.

One of the people over there said it wasn't dynamic. I think that person is on crack.

Anyhoo... :whistle

Don't get me started on the B'way crowd... :ninja:

Haha yes. Well, we already knew that there are three kinds of people that go to the show: Green Day Fans, Theater Fans, and Everyone Else ;)

Haha yes. Well, we already knew that there are three kinds of people that go to the show: Green Day Fans, Theater Fans, and Everyone Else ;)

Oh yea... actually, that person said it was "dull." I update my remarks: that person is on heroin. LOL.

Justin, did you read the spoiler that I posted after I wrote this? It's what I agreed with.

For those would don't qualify for the student lottery and/or want some cheap(er) seats, here's the discount link: Broadwaybox.com

$75 Weeknight & Sun evenings

$85 Fri evenings, Sat & Sun matinees

Offer valid on performances March 25 through May 16

Must order by April 20.

Here's another video from that AP-Red stream that has some great interviews with fans, John, Rebecca, Mayer, and the Band from the soundcheck:

(I apologize if this has been posted)

Oh yea... actually, that person said it was "dull." I update my remarks: that person is on heroin. LOL.

Justin, did you read the spoiler that I posted after I wrote this? It's what I agreed with.

Now I've read it.

For those would don't qualify for the student lottery and/or want some cheap(er) seats, here's the discount link: Broadwaybox.com

You actually have to go to Broadwayoffers.com and use this code: AITCX322

(your session was still opened at b'waybox.com, and you can't get to the next screen to buy tickets, fyi)

Tickets are for: This offer is valid for performances from 3/25/10 through 5/16/10, excluding Saturday evenings and opening night: 4/20/10. Tickets for this offer must be purchased by 4/20/10.

You are correct.

The first time I saw it I had major issues with the choreography and frankly, John Gallagher. The second night I saw it, I let go of my inner critic and the music just swept me away, particularly the female voices. I actually told John Gallagher that I thought he needed to bring more angst to the character when I met him at Rockwood in January, and when I saw it last night, he was perfect. He slowed down his little monologues, and by "Whatersname" I actually felt that he had been through hell and back. The scene where he, Tunny, and Will meet back up was really powerful. You could feel how pissed he was at Tunny, and when Will calmed him down, I almost cried when they hugged. When I saw him after the show, I told him how great he was. He shocked the crap out of me by remembering my name. Haha, he's such a humble fellow, and When It's Time... oh man, so lovely.

The story is much better and cleaner now, too, though I can understand if people don't get the flow. And thank goodness that the scene where he quits drugs has been made much more serious. When I saw it in September, it just didn't work for me.I loved that change as well as the giant frame for Rock and Roll Girlfriend. Stark Sands is a great addition to the cast. I liked Matt Caplan, but I think Sands is much better in the role. Michael Esper was again, fantastic. I can't say more good things about Rebecca as Whatsername, she is perfect, and Mary Faber, too.

They cut Good Riddance at the end (I didn't see the Berkeley version where they did it), and that is a good thing.

Anyway, those are my thoughts so far. Going to see it again on 4/7, will probably write about it then so I can let the show sink in more.

i really loved John Gallagher, i thought he was fantastic. You could definitely feel what he was going through. great display of emotion. Though i must agree with you on the choreography, i really thought it could have been a little more diverse.

Although i did not see the Berkeley version, i have to admit Tunny was my favorite character. i thought Stark was absolutely amazing, i fell in love with his voice.

I thought they could have developed the side story more about his friend who has the child and then the gf leaves him. i dont know i thought that part just fell short.

i guess ill just have to see the play again for any changes! lol

I'm glad almost everyone here that saw the show liked it! (Even though you'd seen it before.) I was talking to Tony after at Sardis and he said they're still making changes every day and in fact there were tiny charges made in the time between the final dress and the first preview.

I'm playing the lottery tomorrow with a friend who wants to see the show because well... hey, I live here! I'll probably play it MANY times until I win at least once!

wow i didnt realize that

and GOOD LUCK!!!

i hope you get the tickets!

I'm heading into the city to see it Saturday. =] I can't wait as it will be my first broadway show and I really wanna see how it came out. :)

I'm so excited. So apparently for a birthday present (Being April 12th) I'm getting to go to NYC, which of course means seeing this little beauty. I can't wait. :D