American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

Shows usually go through a month of previews where they're performed before audiences to gauge reaction. The cast has to sit backstage pretty much every night after the show and get "notes", where the directors and producers and crew talk about things they think need to be tweaked.

Opening night is when the press is officially invited.

Ohh okay, thanks :D So you can actually go to them? Cool.

wow thats awesome!!

im never there early enough :lol:

Yeah, me and my friends were really desperate to see next to normal because I have a huge crush on one of the cast, who's like super mega-talented and just happens to be super gorgeous. :lol:

We went down for spring break last year, and had this all planned out like a month before. Like "we'll go to TKTS at two and stand around for an hour so we can get tickets..." lol.

tickets tend to be expensive

orchestra seats can sell for over $100, the more popular the show, usually the more expensive

Sarah made a great point by mentioning TKTS. The only problem with that is the line is usually HUGE, but it would be worth it.

also you may also search the internet for deals

for example playbill.com offers some good deals, but they're usually for a specific time and you have to sign up for the account. But it wont hurt signing up, here's the link =)

hoped that helped a little :)

i really hope they have some sort of pre-sale for this

Edit: sometimes they offer deals for students. so if you plan on buying tickets the day of the show and you're a student, show your ID, you might get a small discount

thank you that help alot. :) ill check that site out. but whats TKTS?

i Dont think buying tickets on the day of the show would be such a good idea for me since i live in california and would be flying over lol but idk maybe, if it doesnt sell out?

ill check that site out. but whats TKTS?

It's a ticket booth in Times Square. When Broadway shows have extra amounts of tickets or are just starting and want to get popular, they give them to TKTS to sell at a reduced price.

Yeah, me and my friends were really desperate to see next to normal because I have a huge crush on one of the cast, who's like super mega-talented and just happens to be super gorgeous. :lol:

We went down for spring break last year, and had this all planned out like a month before. Like "we'll go to TKTS at two and stand around for an hour so we can get tickets..." lol.

i haven't seen it yet, but its on my list of plays to see!

i have a list of like 80240 plays i want to see, but i have no money :down:

And i always forget about the lotto system and the rushes that they have

what time does TKTS even open? :lol:

Imagine if this gets nominated for a tony :woot:

if they release it in April or march that means they think it has a shot to get a nomination or something i think? idk :lol:

IM SO EXCITED

It's a ticket booth in Times Square. When Broadway shows have extra amounts of tickets or are just starting and want to get popular, they give them to TKTS to sell at a reduced price.

oh that awsome. thanks

thank you that help alot. :) ill check that site out. but whats TKTS?

i Dont think buying tickets on the day of the show would be such a good idea for me since i live in california and would be flying over lol but idk maybe, if it doesnt sell out?

oh whoops didnt realize you were from california. Definitely do not recommend doing that

btw here's the link for TKTS

i never realized TDF ran TKTS. my moms TDF member, maybe by some miracle she'll get something about AI!! :woot:

if they release it in April or march that means they think it has a shot to get a nomination or something i think? idk :lol:

IM SO EXCITED

Yup. I think as it is, shows have to be open by the end of April (or is it May? Idfk) to be eligible for the Tony's in June...so yes, it could get a nom!!

:D

IM SO EXCITED

hahaahahahahahhahhahahahah

i cant even imagine them at the Tony awards.

hahaahahahahahhahhahahahah

i cant even imagine them at the Tony awards.

Billie Mike and Tre in tuxedos :lol:

this is just too funny!

imagine if Tony gets a Tony!

and St Jimmy performs at the St Jimmy!

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I haven't seen the show yet, (obviously) but as a Broadway addict, I can offer some general advice.

This is all about shows in general, but after a show in NY, generally the cast will exit through the theater's stage door, and fans are allowed to gather around and can get autographs and such when they come out. They will usually talk to everyone waiting there (I say usually--sometimes they tend to be in a bit of a hurry and want to get out of there). If you go to a preview show, you generally will have to wait for a while following the show for them to leave (because they usually have notes on production and stuff from the crew up until opening night so they can tweak things before the press is invited).

Opening night, while it would be amazing, probably wouldn't be easy. Most tickets go very quickly, and most of it's press and celebs and etc. Fans very rarely get tickets to opening shows. Your best bet, I'd say, would be to go a few days following opening, for several reasons.

1. The cast is usually "fresh" and tends to be friendlier and more enthusiastic at stage door, if you're interested in meeting them. Example: me and my friends saw next to normal the second night it was open, and the entire cast came out, took pictures with the fans, signed autographs, held conversations. They were incredibly friendly and took time to talk to everyone. We went back to the stage door when we went down in Dec, hoping to meet one of the cast that I'm absolutely obsessed with and practically died over when I met him the first time. Only three cast members came out, not one of them was him. Reasoning: he's become too well known and people have taken to being REALLY overly creepy and obsessive over him. Lesson: If you go when the show first starts, you'll most likely get to talk to the cast for a minute or two after it.

2. The "hype" about the show hasn't quite built up yet--so tickets should be a lot easier to get. To use my example again, TKTS (a ticket booth in Times Square) sells completely legal, reduced price tickets to new shows and shows that need more hype. Me and my friends paid $60 each to see N2N from relatively excellent seats, where we otherwise would have paid closer to a hundred a piece. A month or two later, the show became "too" popular and TKTS stopped selling reduced price tickets for it.

3. You get the advantage of saying you saw the show before everyone else starts "OMG"-ing over it. :)

Eh. Hope that helped a little.

Thanks! That helped a lot :D

A couple of things... The Tony's this year is June 13th and no Broadway show will be performing that day. If AI gets nominated for Best Musical, they will be asked if they want to performed a number at the Tony's. Unfortunately, I can see it being debated on whether or not AI can be eligible for "Best Score." That's a matter that has to be seen later on.

Johnny had mentioned in Berkeley that as soon as they are given the go-ahead, they'll go into the studio and record the OBCR. That also probably has to be seen on whether or not cast members are changed or added. Also, the songs don't have to be exactly what ends up in the musical. The Spring Awakening OBCR had a few changes from the recording to the actual musical that was presented.

"Stagedooring" is what you would call meeting the cast after the performances, which is why many of them did in Berkeley because they're used to it. However, it's not a requirement. I don't know about a lot of the cast but Johnny, Gerard, and Brian tend to stagedoor and are sweethearts about the whole thing. If they can handle the Spring Awakening fangirls and Guilty Ones, they can handle the AI fans. :happy:

You might have your best bet for preview tickets because they will usually be cheaper than those after opening night. Speaking of opening night, it might be really difficult to get those, especially since they are given out to other Broadway peeps, press, family, friends, producers, etc. However, the upside of the St. James being a larger theater is that they might sell the third level balcony to the public. Tickets in general will run about $110-130 for orch. and front mezz, $75-$100 for rear mezz, and probably $50 for balcony. Weekend prices for orch and mezz will possibly be more.

Most Broadway shows hold three different kinds of discount tickets: rush, lotto, and SRO (standing room only). Rush requires you to get there either in the morning of before the box office opens or a couple of hours before the show. You wait in line and buy the ticket. These tickets could be really good seats, like single filler seats, or they could be very rear or obstructed views. Lotto is when you go a couple of hours before the show and put your name in and they'll pick out names about an hour or so before the show. Whoever names are picked will be given the chance to buy the tickets. These seats are usually better than what you would get with regular rush seats. SRO is only available when the show is sold out and you will be given the chance to buy a spot to stand in the back to watch. This website will be pretty helpful for AI, which they already put on there, and for other Broadway shows: http://www.broadwayforbrokepeople.com/

Sidenote: Those who were mentioning Next to Normal, were y'all talking about Aaron Tveit, who plays Gabe, the son? In case you didn't hear, his last show was on Sunday. I'm very sad that I didn't see him, but I saw his then-temporary, now-permanent replacement Kyle Dean Massey and he's really good. Aaron will be staring in the musical version of Catch Me If You Can in the fall.

Stagedooring on Broadway is hit-or-miss, unfortunately. Just a warning.

I would love it if tickets were raffled off the day of the show, like what they used to do for Rent. (I miss Rent.)

And this is just in time for my birthday! I remember I went to see Rent on my birthday, which also happened to be the night of the Tonys...fun!

This is just perfect! I'm so excited. I've been planning on flying home to PA sometime this year anyway so now I will defiantly be flying home and dragging my PA friends to NY with me :D

Ok, I'm going to talk to my friend tomorrow who said she would love to go and would be willing to drive me there and see what she says. I want to go to opening night so badly. I don't know about the previews though. I wonder how much tickets will cost.

Ok, I'm going to talk to my friend tomorrow who said she would love to go and would be willing to drive me there and see what she says. I want to go to opening night so badly. I don't know about the previews though. I wonder how much tickets will cost.

Opening night? Good luck with that!

A couple of my friends and I will also probably go on an adventure into the city to see this. :D

^I'd love to see you there!

Epic meet up!

Does anyone know what songs are in it? Is there a list? Is this a stupid question? It's late, I'm sorry.

ETA: If anyone is planning on waiting outside for the actors to come out, be prepared to suddenly make ten new best friends. (Stagedoored at Rent, sang "La Vie Boheme" with the crowd while waiting)