American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

vla313, you might not want to hotlink those photos. I have a feeling that they'll be changed after the 13th and those links won't work anymore.

Justin does not look good as Will. Michael owned that part, and I respect Justin for taking it over but its just wrong.

And I miss JGJ, Van is good but I heard the audio of the monolouge before St. Jimmy and his emphasis just seems off... like hes putting it on the wrong words or something.

I am happy for them all, I just miss the boys :ermm:

Edited by Dreamer on the Run

I find Johnny not being Gallagher anymore the hardest to get used too... =/

This. :(

Van just looks too...innocent...to me. Idek.

Van is awesome in that role. I love him.

Justin looks ok to me.

Can't wait to see this on 3/10 to see how it all pans out...

I absolutely love JGJ as Johnny, but Van's really good as Johnny, too. Both have their own way of playing the character. And each have their pros & cons, too. However, I'm awaiting the day that Chase goes on since he, himself, says that he wasn't that good in Berkeley so I'm hoping that he believes he's gotten better now.

Now... Libby...

2luj2o.jpg

I'll admit I did not like her the first time I saw her on. The second time was Mary's last and still didn't do it for me. The more recent times have been hit & miss. I feel that she's a little stiff and that the songs, particularly "Extraordinary Girl" are not really in her natural vocal range. That being said, I've gotten used to her "21 Guns" and it's actually nice & different than Christina's. I'm still giving her (and myself) time.

I haven't seen Justin yet but I'm open-minded.

vla313, you might not want to hotlink those photos. I have a feeling that they'll be changed after the 13th and those links won't work anymore.

I'm at work so I didn't have time to reup them somewhere else, I'll do it when I get home.

There's audio of his St. Jimmy over in the Davey Havok thread from a tumblr.

I found one of LOTAG/She's a Rebel, but I can't seem to find St. Jimmy. :/

EDIT: Nevermind. He sounds awesome even better than Billie.

His "one two three four" is awesome. Actually, the whole thing is quite great.

^ Where'd you find LOTAG/She's a Rebel?

Billie's onetwothreefour is the best, cause he's got that throat-voice-growl thing going on.

Yeah, but otherwise he's got a rock voice, not a rock musical voice. Clearly that's worked for him for most of his life, and he was great in the play, but Davey just does it right.

His "one two three four" is awesome. Actually, the whole thing is quite great.

^ Where'd you find LOTAG/She's a Rebel?

Just keep searching davey, american idiot, st jimmy, etc on tumblr and you'll stumble upon some good stuff.

Nothing like hanging with Green Day friends and screaming the profane part of Platypus along with everyone in a big crowd.

That was SO much fun, lol. :banana:

I find Johnny not being Gallagher anymore the hardest to get used too... =/

Van is so good at Johnny! He's different, but really, really good!

Yeah, but otherwise he's got a rock voice, not a rock musical voice. Clearly that's worked for him for most of his life, and he was great in the play, but Davey just does it right.

Eh, maybe he's better suited for Broadway, but I liked the way Billie did it. More human, as J'net mentioned in her review. Addiction personified, rather than some malevolent alter ego influencing Johnny's thoughts and actions. I fucking loved his performance.

• Like 2

Those audio clips are Sarah's.

Oh man. Davey as St. Jimmy. Let's talk about FEMININE shall we? He did an amazing job, he was insanely sinister. When he first throws the glitter, he makes this little 'gah!' and I personally think it sounds too weak for a glitter-throw, so it makes me laugh. And he hisses at everyone to leave the stage, instead of Billie telling everyone to get the fuck out.

I saw him perform on his first night, and I think he was still a tad nervous but he does the roll really well. I'm not sure what way he's going to try to lead the character, but all I can say is that it's INCREDIBLY feminine, even more so than Melissa (I imagine).

And he hisses at everyone to leave the stage, instead of Billie telling everyone to get the fuck out.

Billie didn't normally say "get the fuck out." I think I only heard him say that once, on the last night, but he may have started to do that toward the end of the run, though I was at the show on Saturday night and don't remember him saying that. i think I was able to see him maybe five or six times during January/February, and that last night was the first time I heard him say that, if memory serves (but don't count on my memory!). I gotta say, I loved when he said it, ha!

The night when I was front and center, he said "SHUT the fuck up" and gestured for them all to go away :lol: That was the 26th. And then on the 27th, yeah, he said "GET the fuck out" and we all laughed.

That was SO much fun, lol. :banana:

Van is so good at Johnny! He's different, but really, really good!

That's your advantage over me. You obviously had, and will have the chance to see Van being awesome on stage, and i have no doubt he is. :) I'm talking from an overseas, european point of view, where all i have is YouTube and illegal!Johnny to look at :whistle, and from the first news that came from Berkeley, Gallagher has been Johnny for me, and Gallagher made the show for me :) So that's why i find a him not being that anymore hardest to get used too. Wishing Van on stage and you in the audience the best of times though :thumbsup:

• Like 1

To get everyone off the stage on the 24th or 25th Billie hissed "fuck off" at them :lol: I don't remember which though, I'm a bad fan. But I'm pretty sure it was the 25th.

I'm undecided on Justin and Van... I'll have to see them perform before I judge them. My initial reaction wasn't good, but I thought the exact same thing about the cast album and the musical itself, then both turned out to be great. They won't be the same as John and Michael just because I know them as Johnny and Will, but hopefully they'll be pretty good.

I thought Libby was awful the first time I saw her, but by the 27th I noticed she'd got a lot better.

I'm so conflicted. I really, really want to go see Davey but I don't think I can handle the show again right now after Sunday night. Is anyone else feeling this way?

But for anyone who's interested, here's a link to my write-up of Sunday night. I thought I'd have no words, well, it turns out I have 1100 of them (and pictures):

http://tinyurl.com/656lpwl