American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I can't say I'm liking what I've seen from Melissa so far... I don't dislike it, but it's just kind of... I don't know. It doesn't sound bad, but I don't see St. Jimmy. Then again, I'm basing that on the videos and audio posted in this thread, so maybe it works better irl.

I'm wondering who took over for Theo.

The peacock....

I'm sorry, I just had to. Only two other people on this forum know what I'm talking about. Just ignore me :lol:

On a more serious note, the "BANG! BANG!" and "It's now her occupation and she's over qualifiiiied!" just won't be the same without Theo =/

Does anyone have any reviews (or suggestions) of hotels they stayed at while visiting New York City to see American Idiot?

If I've posted this in the incorrect forum please let me know.

Thanks!!

For everyone who has seen the show, forgive my ignorance here but does the constant jumping around of the background dancers like during that St. Jimmy video not get a bit annoying?

I'm not slating it, just genuinely wanting to know what peoples thoughts are about it.

Thanks for that video! I actually liked the singing on that a whole lot better than what I heard of Homecoming earlier.

For everyone who has seen the show, forgive my ignorance here but does the constant jumping around of the background dancers like during that St. Jimmy video not get a bit annoying?

I'm not slating it, just genuinely wanting to know what peoples thoughts are about it.

Nah. The stage is big, so you don't really even focus on the dancing unless you are specifically looking at the ensemble. The St-Jimmy/Johnny thing going on is so arresting, it's hard to pay attention to anything else. There are still things going on the background that are new to me and I've seen it more than a few times.

Does anyone have any reviews (or suggestions) of hotels they stayed at while visiting New York City to see American Idiot?

Thanks!!

milford plaza

right around the corner from theater. stayed there this past weekend

What about youth hostels? Cos everywhere i travel I prefer to stay in a youth hostel, its cheaper and I like the atmosphere. Any hostels/budget hotels near the St James?

Thanks!!

Although I usually stay at my aunt's place, I did stay at the Best Western President Hotel on 48th between 7th & 8th once recently. For one night the total was $116, that's including taxes and fees. It's a comfty and close by. Back during Opening Night, I stayed at the Pod Hotel which is further away on 51st between 2nd & 3rd but that was $89 a night, including taxes and fees. Try Kayak.com for deals. Whatever you do, don't stay at the Hotel Carter; it's just bad news all around... :ninja:

VIDEO of Melissa Etheridge as St. Jimmy! ~This youtube user has 4 video clips~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvs2A8M2pKs

AND Melissa's vlog ~a thank you for her American Idiot debut:

I was watching this person's video of She's a Rebel, and, you know what? I really wanted to say only good things about Melissa's performance, but after seeing a couple of videos, and specially the one with She's a Rebel, apart from her great voice, she lacks the energy that the rest of the cast gives off, and she's just kind of standing there singing, specially during this part of the song where St. Jimmy is letting his/hers desperation come through from loosing Johnny to Whatsername, or maybe it's just that I got way too used to Billie's histrionics (sp?), but it's like she's lacking something that just doesn't make St. Jimmy pop out like it happened with Billie or Tony Vincent. :(

• Like 1

Surely there were rehearsals where Michael Mayer or some other production staff noticed what we all seem to be noticing, that she just doesn't do the part justice like Billie or Tony did. Why put someone out on stage who doesn't play the part perfectly?

Although I usually stay at my aunt's place, I did stay at the Best Western President Hotel on 48th between 7th & 8th once recently. For one night the total was $116, that's including taxes and fees. It's a comfty and close by. Back during Opening Night, I stayed at the Pod Hotel which is further away on 51st between 2nd & 3rd but that was $89 a night, including taxes and fees. Try Kayak.com for deals. Whatever you do, don't stay at the Hotel Carter; it's just bad news all around... :ninja:

Thanks for the information!! There's just so many hotels around the area it's a little overwhelming. I figured my best bet was to get some input from you guys who've already been there.

Can't wait to go . . . just a few more weeks!!

What about youth hostels? Cos everywhere i travel I prefer to stay in a youth hostel, its cheaper and I like the atmosphere. Any hostels/budget hotels near the St James?

There's one on 103rd and Amsterdam on the UWS, that I think is like $30/night? There's also the Carter Hotel on 43rd Street which I think is around $50/night, but it's super ghetto...

Not at all --- In fact, I wish I could see it a whole bunch more times just so I was able to focus on the ensemble and nothing else! :wacko:

I've not once been able to tear my eyes away from what's going on in the foreground, haha. I feel like I've missed out, because the choreography looks fucking stellar! :cry:

Hey guys, I have two amazing tickets to sell to the final performance of Billie Joe in American Idiot on 2/27 at 7:30PM. They are Row C, Mezzanine, Seats 102 and 103. They are some of the best seats in the house. Face value is $122 for each, but I'm willing to work it out... the seats were given to me by a friend who can't go and I'm trying to raise money to get to San Francisco to see the Frustrators. Message me and we'll talk...

• Like 1

there was a dude on stage recording it?

There's always a dude onstage recording it... he's a cast member and what he records feeds onto the video screens...

There's always a dude onstage recording it... he's a cast member and what he records feeds onto the video screens...

ha i never noticed until i saw that video!

there was a dude on stage recording it?

My daughter said the same thing when she watched that video! Yeah, I believe that is Brian Charles Johnson who holds the video cam during St. Jimmy.

ha i never noticed until i saw that video!

I never noticed it until the 3rd time I saw the show. The first two times, I was all the way in the balcony. The third time, I won a ticket from MTV so I was in the orchestra. Then I noticed. I didn't realize it was Brian until the 4th time I saw it, however. XD

• Like 1

Isabel, I really like your picture with BJ... you guys have the same facial expression!

Thanks Tanya! Yeah, it's similar alright, isn't it? Although I'm certain that we weren't thinking the same things at that moment :P

• Like 1