American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I'm not speaking about skeptics in the media - actually I can't think of too many examples of bad reviews for this show - I'm speaking of people that I know.

Classic Broadway is essentially dead, and the majority of people realize that. People are just concerned that the show doesn't have a developed plot and/or characters, and that's why they are skeptical of the show.

Also, American Idiot is not the first musical to push the limits of Broadway. That began with Rent in 1997 and has continued with shows like Spring Awakening, In the Heights, and others. Believe me, people know that Hello, Dolly! is not the only successful musical genre.

Way before Rent, Hair was raising eyebrows wherever it played - and that show has just seen a revival.

I'm not speaking about skeptics in the media - actually I can't think of too many examples of bad reviews for this show - I'm speaking of people that I know.

Classic Broadway is essentially dead, and the majority of people realize that. People are just concerned that the show doesn't have a developed plot and/or characters, and that's why they are skeptical of the show.

Also, American Idiot is not the first musical to push the limits of Broadway. That began with Rent in 1997 and has continued with shows like Spring Awakening, In the Heights, and others. Believe me, people know that Hello, Dolly! is not the only successful musical genre.

And before Rent (and way after Hair, of course), was a little show called Lizzie Borden, which premiered at the Ohio Theater in 1991and then was remounted in 1994... we had an onstage band and mics in '91. Yes, it was off-off-Broadway, but the show recently was off-Broadway again (last year at the Living Theater) and now one of the actresses, the lighting and costume designers are up for Drama Desk Awards. It's a great, cutting-edge rock musical based on a great American story... but it can't get to a larger off-B'way house despite this fact. Mostly I think because it's a rock musical with woman, but that's just me. Of course, it constantly got compared to Rent and Spring Awakening.. which drove me crazy... ha! But if it was about an American President with a hunky lead... oh wait, that would be Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson... it probably would have gone to a larger off-B'way theater.

Sorry, just a little theater rant there.

I will say that I have encouraged a number of people to see American Idiot, and at least two of them didn't like the show. One (a theater person) was upset that it was "supposed to be a political show" and turned out to be a "love story" and the other one enjoyed herself but was disturbed that there was no "plot." This last point drives me bonkers... there is a plot, it's just non-traditional, more intuitive than in your face.

Edited by t ann

Okay, update on the cast tonight...

Libby is on for Heather.

Aspen is on for Alysha.

Lorin is on for Libby.

:)

Don't know why Alysha is off but hasn't Aspen been ill as well the last few days ? =/

Don't know why Alysha is off but hasn't Aspen been ill as well the last few days ? =/

She's had tonsillitis since Friday. However, I guess between her and Lorin, she's probably the main one to do Alysha in TMTS. She said that she's better. With Lorin on tonight, Van is the only person who that hasn't gone yet and he only will if Johnny, Esper, or Stark call out.

Libby is on for Heather.

Aspen is on for Alysha.

Lorin is on for Libby.

Wow! Good for all of them, getting their time to shine. This explains Rebecca's facebook status about a "funderstudy show." :lol:

I believe they are STRONGLY looking at a tour for the show.

That would be amazing if they toured!

Libby is on for Heather.

Aspen is on for Alysha.

Lorin is on for Libby.

That would be really fun to see them in different roles tonight! To see how each handles the roles in their own way.

That's so nice that they all get their time on stage! It's tough to have that much pressure on you, but so great when you nail it!

finally watched theatre talk interview.. it was awesome :) a big thanks to who put the download link on here!!

finally watched theatre talk interview.. it was awesome :) a big thanks to who put the download link on here!!

Now also available on YouTube by request.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

(Dirty rotten forum software won't let me embed this one for some reason.... :mad: )

• Like 1

^ oh and thanks for that :woot: when was this filmed?

yay i just saw that the xast record will come out in germany too< 3 <3<3 yaaaaaaay

Watching now part 1 :happy: And Tbh I think that this interview deserves its own thread.

omg they treat billie like he was a total newcomer like those interviewers have no idea who he is :o

Thank you! That was fantastic. It makes me want to see the musical again this instant. :lol:

thank you so much for posting these videos. MM and BJA make beautiful broadway babies together. Hope they collaborate again.

My 2 favorite quotes from it:

"Scratch a rock star, find a show queen" Michael Mayer

"Theres a reason small towns are small...nobody wants to live there." BJA.

Thanks, Bastard! I posted your links on my blog today, too. I was going to post that link yesterday but completely forgot about it. Thanks for putting it on the Youtubes.

omg they treat billie like he was a total newcomer like those interviewers have no idea who he is :o

he is to the theater community. it's refreshing to see that new view. :)

thank you so much for posting these videos. MM and BJA make beautiful broadway babies together. Hope they collaborate again.

My 2 favorite quotes from it:

"Scratch a rock star, find a show queen" Michael Mayer

"Theres a reason small towns are small...nobody wants to live there." BJA.

sure sounds like it could happen again! :woot:

yeah i know but i think even when youre normally not into punk-rock i stil lthought they'd at least know green day :lol:

sure sounds like it could happen again! :woot:

i agree it was nice to watch the broadway community geting to know BJA in that interview...there's no reason for them to know him. i thought it was interesting when the female interviewer started to ask BJA questions about his childhood. obviously her interest had been piqued in what he's all about as a person. hes infectious in the best way and even those bway interviewers wanted to learn what was behind our dear walking contradiction of a man.

I watched it again last night - it was a litte stuffy, but it was a good interview. Billie was on good behavior - not one 'fuck' outta his mouth the whole time, lol. I liked those quotes, too, Abbey. The interviewers certainly got a big kick out of the small town one. And yeah, you could definitely see her interest piqued a bit - I was interested to hear what he said, too.

I found it really interesting when MM said that Johnny killed off the St. Jimmy part of himself. There was so much debate on that character from the beginning, and it's interesting to me to hear his take on him. That's how I always saw St Jimmy, as a part of JOS, but some saw him as his own person.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

(Dirty rotten forum software won't let me embed this one for some reason.... :mad: )

download link please?

download link please?

Parinaz, if Iranian Internet lets you go to this link: you can download it in RealMedia. I don't think there is a Megaupload or SendSpace or anything link for it.