American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

searching for OEYS!!!!!

last seen at the April 24th performance of AMERICAN IDIOT!!

returning to scene of the OEY's birthplace... for tomorrow's matinee!!!!

ITS OEY TIME!

Hi and welcome! I'll probably be sorry I asked, but "OEY?" I'm drawing a blank here :).

So I bought the cast album a while ago, because I figured "hey, I'll give it a shot". I listened to it all the way through, the only songs I like are Letterbomb and both versions of When It's Time. I don't know, it seems a little half-assed to me. :/

So I bought the cast album a while ago, because I figured "hey, I'll give it a shot". I listened to it all the way through, the only songs I like are Letterbomb and both versions of When It's Time. I don't know, it seems a little half-assed to me. :/

Awwww, sorry you feel that way! It's true that musical theater isn't for everyone, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how many Green Day fans absolutely love the musical. But it's also a lot easier to love it if you see it first. Some of the things I hear on the cast album bring back the most incredible visuals and memories.

Great pictures :)

Going to ask a shallow question....Who is Joshua Henry's understudy ? Is there anyone else in the cast with the same....err....physique as him ? ( :wub: )

I believe that someone said that it was Ben. :thumbsup:

So for the understudy list, it goes...

Johnny (JGJ): Chase, Van (standby) - however, with Chase out, Van is the only one available for Johnny

Will (Esper): Dec, Van (standby)

Tunny (Stark): Ben, Van (standby)

Heather (Mary): Leslie, Libby

Whatsername (Becca): Leslie, Christina

Extraordinary Girl (Christina): Libby, Aspen

St. Jimmy (Tony): Andrew, Joshua K.

Theo: Gerard

Joshua H.: Ben

Alysha: Lorin (I believe...)

Everyone else gets a swing. :)

I believe that someone said that it was Ben. :thumbsup:

So for the understudy list, it goes...

Johnny (JGJ): Chase, Van (standby) - however, with Chase out, Van is the only one available for Johnny

Will (Esper): Dec, Van (standby)

Tunny (Stark): Ben, Van (standby)

Heather (Mary): Leslie, Libby

Whatsername (Becca): Leslie, Christina

Extraordinary Girl: Libby, Aspen

Theo: Gerard

Joshua: Ben

Alysha: Lorin (I believe...)

Everyone else gets a swing. :)

and Andrew Call for St. Jimmy.

I would hope if Ben was covering for Joshua, they have a different film roll

and Andrew Call for St. Jimmy.

I would hope if Ben was covering for Joshua, they have a different film roll

Yeah, I originally forgot about St. Jimmy with Andrew and Joshua. I would hope that with all the understudies that have another film roll.

So far only Joshua K went on for St. Jimmy on Broadway... and while "St. Jimmy" is filmed live, "Death of St. Jimmy" isn't and in Berkeley, it was still Tony not Andrew in that segment, IIRC.

But yeah, it would be weird to have Gallagher's home videos when Chase/Van is on for him or as you mentioned, Joshua's reel when Ben's on. :lol:

Yeah, I originally forgot about St. Jimmy with Andrew and Joshua. I would hope that with all the understudies that have another film roll.

So far only Joshua K went on for St. Jimmy on Broadway... and while "St. Jimmy" is filmed live, "Death of St. Jimmy" isn't and in Berkeley, it was still Tony not Andrew in that segment, IIRC.

But yeah, it would be weird to have Gallagher's home videos when Chase/Van is on for him or as you mentioned, Joshua's reel when Ben's on. :lol:

*googles Ben* Yep....that could work (i think ;) )

There are reels and home videos ? What's on them ? (i do realise they're story/show-related :) )

:D For the identity-switches though....

Edited by Dutch

There are reels and home videos ? What's on them ? (i do realise they're story/show-related :) )

I'll spoiler the answer to this. ;)

For "Favorite Son," Tunny is watching TV and every time he flips the channel there's Josh doing something (giving a speech, winning a medal, etc.) So that's that reel, per se.

For "St. Jimmy," Brian actually films on stage St. Jimmy and Johnny and so that footage goes on the many TVs on stage. For "Death of St. Jimmy," there's a reel of sorts of St. Jimmy singing and that's pre-shot so that would be Tony.

For "Wake Me Up When September Ends," at the beginning there's a home video of Johnny when he was younger and then at the end there's an image of St. Jimmy that morphs into Johnny, which all have been pre-shot.

I'll spoiler the answer to this. ;)

For "Favorite Son," Tunny is watching TV and every time he flips the channel there's Josh doing something (giving a speech, winning a medal, etc.) So that's that reel, per se.

For "St. Jimmy," Brian actually films on stage St. Jimmy and Johnny and so that footage goes on the many TVs on stage. For "Death of St. Jimmy," there's a reel of sorts of St. Jimmy singing and that's pre-shot so that would be Tony.

For "Wake Me Up When September Ends," at the beginning there's a home video of Johnny when he was younger and then at the end there's an image of St. Jimmy that morphs into Johnny, which all have been pre-shot.

Thank you :)

Only makes me want to see the show even more =/

So I sent Ben a message about this, and well, here's the conversation:

Hey Ben,

I just had a really quick question about the show for you. On the GDC we were recently talking about who plays the various understudy roles in the show, and someone had mentioned that you understudy for Joshua in Favorite Son. Having previously seen Andrew understudy for Tony the last few shows in Berkeley, I remember that the videos on the TVs were still all of Tony. I was wondering if this is true for if you were to play Joshua in Favorite Son. Would they still show video clips with Joshua in them, or did they create a second set of footage just for nights where you would be on stage?

Justin

Hey Justin. Both Andrew and I understudy Joshua. And we both got to do a photo/video shoot for the tv's at the end of blvd. However, in Berkeley, if I had to have gone on, it would have been josh's face, and then me jumping out of the tv. Could've been hilarious. Thankfully, we got that covered now.

BT

And I agree with him, had they shown footage of Joshua, and then Ben popped out, it would have been HILARIOUS.

I would guess that they also have alternative footage for St. Jimmy and Johnny as well now.

Bad review, but the first comment to it made it worthwhile.

http://www.hofstrachronicle.com/arts-entertainment/american-idiot-disappoints-broadway-fans-1.1477053

With a talented cast headlined by Tony Award winner John Gallagher Jr., “American Idiot” unfortunately falls into the trap of the bad jukebox musical. Clocking in at only 90 minutes, the one-act show seemed almost too long.

Despite a weak book, the show is visually striking. Kevin Adams’ lighting design effectively sets the mood of the show, using a large spectrum of styles and colors. Christine Jones’ scenic design effectively places the show into a grungy dive of a club with thousands of posters and papers littering the walls and over 20 flat-screen televisions used to effectively shift locations and depict the characters’ thoughts. Steven Hoggett’s choreography is clean, precise and effective although slightly reminiscent of “Spring Awakening.”

Tom Kitt’s orchestrations and arrangements give Green Day’s music a muddy sound and render the lyrics virtually incomprehensible, and combined with Mayer’s weak book, which felt like a careless attempt to string together the songs with a conventional and almost boring plot, and slightly predictable direction makes the 90 minute production feel more like three hours, especially without an intermission.

The cast, however, is immensely talented. Gallagher Jr., who won the 2007 Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical for “Spring Awakening,” leads the cast, and it’s unfortunate that a talented group of actors (most notably Mr. Sands, Ms. Jones and Ms. Sajous) are subjected to sub-par material that comes from a well-known and popular source. The ensemble is strong and focused, with each actor allowed to showcase their talents in individual spotlights, whether it is a small dance trio or a few solo lines in a group number.

If you’re a fan of Green Day’s latter day work, chances are you’ll love “American Idiot.” But if you love the traditional book musical, or even the typical jukebox musical, you’ll probably be disappointed. The show falls flat on its face and struggles to clearly and effectively tell its story.

The first comment to the story:

Difficult to imagine you saw the same play I did. I found "American Idiot" to be one of the best theatrical performances I've ever seen. I'm not a teen - I'm in my mid-50s, - and I've experienced lots of theatre, including "Hair" back in the day. I didn't find the sound "muddy" nor the lyrics "incomprehensible." To me, the story was not only effective, but exhilarating. Were you awake?

^Yeah, I don't understand how people can be bored by Green Day music, it's so exhilarating!

I'm seriously missing the musical. I really think I just... need to go buy a ticket and see it again.

I'm seriously missing the musical. I really think I just... need to go buy a ticket and see it again.

There's zero shame in that, lol

• Like 1

Bad review, but the first comment to it made it worthwhile.

The first comment to the story:

Difficult to imagine you saw the same play I did. I found "American Idiot" to be one of the best theatrical performances I've ever seen. I'm not a teen - I'm in my mid-50s, - and I've experienced lots of theatre, including "Hair" back in the day. I didn't find the sound "muddy" nor the lyrics "incomprehensible." To me, the story was not only effective, but exhilarating. Were you awake?

that comment is brilliant. were you awake? seriously!!

There's zero shame in that, lol

Haha, there really isn't. It's absolutely addicting. I was so upset that the Foxboro Hot Tubs show was on the 23rd, because I had a ticket for that night to see it the fifth time. I chose the Tubbies, but still. It upset me. There needs to be a fifth time. Possibly a sixth... or seventh...

Haha, there really isn't. It's absolutely addicting. I was so upset that the Foxboro Hot Tubs show was on the 23rd, because I had a ticket for that night to see it the fifth time. I chose the Tubbies, but still. It upset me. There needs to be a fifth time. Possibly a sixth... or seventh...

Lol that's the spirit! You'll surpass my count in no time ;)

Don't know if this has alredy been posted but theater talk with Michael Mayer and Billie Joe can be watched on www.cuny.tv

I'd post a link but I don't know how... =/

This was an idea that Megan and I had. We want to try to get a bunch of us together, all go to the American Idiot Musical- enter the lottery. Whoever, if anyone wins, brings others from our group in- and pretty much take over.

Then we want to invite the cast to come to a karaoke bar with us. We've decided that in the spirit of the Tubbies, if they can play It's Fuck Time over and over again- we can go to a karaoke bar and do the same thing. El Camino too. As well as other Green Day songs. It'll be a fun ol' love fest.

There's a group on Facebook. We want to work out a good day for everyone to do it.

http://www.facebook.com/HaushinkaSins?v=wall&story_fbid=115885681785736#!/group.php?gid=116029878433616

I was going to go to that Africa Benefit tonight where the AI cast with bands sing. Justin gave me some dough for it since he stayed at my apartment, but I've still got the Crockett Death Plague from hanging with the Cobras and Honah Lee. Ugh. Sick as a dog, and I really wanted to go to the benefit tonight. Urgh. FML. sigh.

Is anyone going?

And good luck with the cast going to karaoke with you. They did that recently, as a benefit, and tickets were way expensive.

We're not talking about a benefit or anything. It's just something for us fans to do. They don't have to come with us, it's really just us wanting to invite them. If they want to go- cool. If not, we're gonna go do it anyway. :)

And I agree with him, had they shown footage of Joshua, and then Ben popped out, it would have been HILARIOUS.

I would guess that they also have alternative footage for St. Jimmy and Johnny as well now.

Thank you Justin and Ben for clearing that up :)

GUUURRRRK -- Real Media format. Anyone still able to stream this and convert it to, well, just about any other format for us?

Yup, I guess I can (well, I can play it on my computer - so I guess I can convert it too). Is mp4 fine?