American Idiot Musical (Theatrical Production)

J'net

I'll be at St. Jimmy's theater on June 12th and I have to say, I was not amazed by the TV version of "Holiday" on Letterman. FTR, I am HUGE fan of musicals, broadway and off, and while the show looks looks amazingly produced, it's hard to hear different versions of a song that I know as second nature. I can't wait to see it and be wrong, but I purposely haven't listened to the album, skipped Regis, watched any of the YouTube videos so it'll be fresh when I see it. That said, I couldn't help watching Letterman, and after, feeling a little worried I won't love it. Please God, make me wrong. Everyone I know that's seen it LOVES it, and that includes most of my family that are not Green Day fans and obviously everyone here, and critics everywhere love it, so I'm thinking and hoping I'M WRONG.

I had my doubts before seeing it last week too. Trust me, you *have* to see it. The performance is good enough -- and especially if you're familiar with Green Day's music, eye-opening enough -- that I wound up pecking notes about it into my Blackberry while I was watching the damn thing to make sure I didn't forget key details to discuss here later. I haven't had time to distill them into a post yet but I promise, I will. For now, just trust me that you have to see it in person to really understand why everyone who does see it comes away from it going "holy $*#!!". Executive summary: (1) your understanding of the meanings of some of the songs and the connections between them will change depending on which character is singing which part of which song; (2) unless you've lived a perfect and sheltered life, you will absolutely identify with at least one of the characters or situations, and because of this at least one of the numbers will come along and just fucking NAIL you emotionally when you least expect it; and (3) Tony Vincent (St. Jimmy) absolutely OWNS the show (when you see it live for yourself, watch him carefully -- see where he goes, what he does, and most importantly, where he lurks).

More to come later.

• Like 1

When I first saw the show in Berkeley in September, I had way many issues with it. But then again, I'm a jaded New Yorker who hates Broadway and studied Experimental Theater acting in the 1980s. So I had definite issues when I saw the show. The first night was a disaster for me. The second night I killed my inner critic and just let the music flow over me and realized that the score was pretty amazing. The cast hadn't quite gotten the angst of the show at that time, some parts of it where it should have been serious were treated with laughter, and I felt a lot of pressure to like the show right away. However, I just couldn't do it, particularly since the show was in workshop mode. That meant it needed to be criticized and pulled apart and put back together.

But after seeing it... uh... seven times... between Berkeley and NYC, I have fallen in deep like with it because it's unlike anything I've seen on Broadway before. The score is great and the cast has really grown in the show as well.

Anyway, give it try, you might not like it the first time, but then again, you just may! :)

The second night I killed my inner critic and just let the music flow over me and realized that the score was pretty amazing.

I think one of, if not the biggest, superstar of this entire production is TOM KITT. For all of us GREEN DAY fans, this production starts with the music. And how he blows it up astounds me. He has layered in so much yet keeps the intergrity of the grit and soul of this album. Im not sure if the Broadway community can truly appreciate what he did with this music, I surely hope so, because it is amazing.

• Like 2

I think one of, if not the biggest, superstar of this entire production is TOM KITT. For all of us GREEN DAY fans, this production starts with the music. And how he blows it up astounds me. He has layered in so much yet keeps the intergrity of the grit and soul of this album. Im not sure if the Broadway community can truly appreciate what he did with this music, I surely hope so, because it is amazing.

SO true! He's just a genius. That's all.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

I'm really hoping that I like it the first time I see it because it will probably be the only time I have the opportunity.

I had my doubts, too, but after seeing it myself, I have to agree with what everyone has said up here^^

I agree with you Dorie about stepping away from Green Day a bit - when I seperate the two things, it's great for me. I love the album and the music on its own, but then the musical is like another take on it, and I love that, too. It's like looking into someone else's in-depth perspective on what the album means to him, and of course part of that is Billie Joe's (most of it, lol) but added to or expanded is Michael Mayer's. Some of it I've seen in my own head and felt in my own heart, but a lot of it I hadn't before. And I like it. :)

I was curious as to what my hubby would think after he saw it - he is a Green Day fan and loves their music, but he's doesn't "GET" the whole Green-Day-fan-thing, if that makes any sense, lol. He really liked it a lot, but also said that he doesn't know if people who don't already love their music will love the musical. I disagree because I think their music is so very diverse and easily relatable to many different people. I guess we will see.

And YES Abbey!!! Yes. His arrangement of Before the Lobotomy is just... :wub:

• Like 1

I had my doubts, too, but after seeing it myself, I have to agree with what everyone has said up here^^

I agree with you Dorie about stepping away from Green Day a bit - when I seperate the two things, it's great for me. I love the album and the music on its own, but then the musical is like another take on it, and I love that, too. It's like looking into someone else's in-depth perspective on what the album means to him, and of course part of that is Billie Joe's (most of it, lol) but added to or expanded is Michael Mayer's. Some of it I've seen in my own head and felt in my own heart, but a lot of it I hadn't before. And I like it. :)

I was curious as to what my hubby would think after he saw it - he is a Green Day fan and loves their music, but he's doesn't "GET" the whole Green-Day-fan-thing, if that makes any sense, lol. He really liked it a lot, but also said that he doesn't know if people who don't already love their music will love the musical. I disagree because I think their music is so very diverse and easily relatable to many different people. I guess we will see.

And YES Abbey!!! Yes. His arrangement of Before the Lobotomy is just... :wub:

This is exactly my husband. I will be very curious as to what he thinks when we see it.

So far he hasn't wanted to see any previews or hear any of the new arrangements and I'm pretty sure he has no idea about my involvement here! He just isn't the kind of fan I am but certainly loves their music. It will be interesting to here his comments afterwards.

• Like 1

I never used the word "hate", just for the record. :) I said "not amazed", but that said, I've seen Le Miz like 7 times or something and when I got my wife to watch a recorded version of it on my TV, big projector and all, it was not even close to the same experience. I have high expectations of actually loving it.

Yeah, I used the word "hate." I was trying to say that you may not exactly love all of it, but at least I doubt you're going to walk out hating it. At the worst, I think there will be some parts you love and others you don't like much. But I hope you have the best experience that so many of us have had and just get sucked in to loving it overall.

I love the album and the music on its own, but then the musical is like another take on it, and I love that, too. It's like looking into someone else's in-depth perspective on what the album means to him, and of course part of that is Billie Joe's (most of it, lol) but added to or expanded is Michael Mayer's. Some of it I've seen in my own head and felt in my own heart, but a lot of it I hadn't before. And I like it. :)

Cheryl you expressed it so perfectly here. One of the many reasons this show touched me is that it becomes quite obvious as you are sitting there watching the show, that it is a creative gift from BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG (and MICHAEL MAYER.) in this linear story they created. i think we are lucky as GREEN DAY fans to get so so so much more out of this show. Whether you like all/some/none of the character development, its bananas amazing to watch this story culled from the music of AI.

Great post. That's exactly what I was hoping for in terms of the story of the album and being able to pull more from the narrative of the album. I like to wax poetic and for sure, most of Billie's lyrics can by decrypted to mean a lot of things. I disagree with your husband, as I guess you do, that the music won't be relatable to the masses. I think quite the opposite. It seems that everyone is saying you have to "turn off" your Green Day band mode and get into a "you're seeing something different" mode and the rest of the world won't have to do that. They will simply be introduced to some of the best music and melodies song by what are now some of the biggest stars on Broadway. Every person I know that has seen it, that's not a Green Day fan LOVES it and I mean LOVES It. I have yet to hear a person that has gone that they don't like it.

I completely agree with everything Cheryl said, but I do think that already loving the music gives us an advantage over others who are hearing it for the first time (especially if they don't normally listen to that kind of music). Even though they don't have to overcome the feeling of hearing someone else performing their favorite songs, they may have to overcome a bias against the musical style to free themselves to enjoy it.

I was thrilled when the first notes of American Idiot started - I can imagine some of the theater goers I saw were shocked and had to spend a little time getting over that feeling.

There's also another advantage we have in knowing the music that I'll mention to you after you've seen the show - I don't want to potentially spoil the delight of it for you by mentioning it now.

Anyway - all that said, I'll be quite interested to hear your reactions. After seeing it so many times, I know the show pretty well now. As much as I absolutely love it, there are a couple of spots that I think aren't quite perfect, so I'm always waiting to see if others find the same flaws I do :).

This is exactly my husband. I will be very curious as to what he thinks when we see it.

So far he hasn't wanted to see any previews or hear any of the new arrangements and I'm pretty sure he has no idea about my involvement here! He just isn't the kind of fan I am but certainly loves their music. It will be interesting to here his comments afterwards.

My hubby didn't see or listen to anything (other than maybe the Grammy performance) before seeing the show, and I'm glad. I think seeing it live does is much better justice than seeing a bit of it somewhere. It's just all in the space and the moment, and the atmosphere, I think, is a big part of it.

Cheryl you expressed it so perfectly here. One of the many reasons this show touched me is that it becomes quite obvious as you are sitting there watching the show, that it is a creative gift from BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG (and MICHAEL MAYER.) in this linear story they created. i think we are lucky as GREEN DAY fans to get so so so much more out of this show. Whether you like all/some/none of the character development, its bananas amazing to watch this story culled from the music of AI.

:wub: I'm glad I make sense sometimes, lol.

Great post. That's exactly what I was hoping for in terms of the story of the album and being able to pull more from the narrative of the album. I like to wax poetic and for sure, most of Billie's lyrics can by decrypted to mean a lot of things. I disagree with your husband, as I guess you do, that the music won't be relatable to the masses. I think quite the opposite. It seems that everyone is saying you have to "turn off" your Green Day band mode and get into a "you're seeing something different" mode and the rest of the world won't have to do that. They will simply be introduced to some of the best music and melodies sung by what are now some of the biggest stars on Broadway. Every person I know that has seen it, that's not a Green Day fan LOVES it and I mean LOVES It. I have yet to hear a person that has gone that they don't like it.

Thanks! I almost missed this. :) Oh, my hubby and I disagree about a lot of stuff, lol, but he's a cynic, and I am the opposite. I suppose that old saying about opposites is true, haha. I was really curious to know what he thought afterwards and was pleasantly surprised when he said it was great.

The first time I saw it, I sat next to a girl who said she was more of a theater fan than a Green Day fan, and of course, I was dying to know what she thought of it. After, I turned to her and asked her, 'Well??' She smiled big, and said she loved it. (If I could just go by the fact that she was bouncing in her seat the whole time, I already knew the answer, lol.) I swear, I felt such pride at that moment. :happy:

You're right - I haven't heard of anyone who hasn't loved it after seeing it.

Thanks J. You're super sweet.

Hahaha - I have my moments. And then I have my other moments ... just ask my kids!

Tony Administration Committee made their decisions...

John's in as lead and the score of AI isn't eligible for a Tony.

Source

Tony Administration Committee made their decisions...

John's in as lead and the score of AI isn't eligible for a Tony.

Source

Are you saying the score isn't eligible because it isn't listed (i.e. it would be listed if it were eligible)? And do you have any idea why it isn't eligible? That's so sad!

Are you saying the score isn't eligible because it isn't listed (i.e. it would be listed if it were eligible)? And do you have any idea why it isn't eligible? That's so sad!

The music isn't original to theatre so I believe that they would have noted if it was eligible. Then again, the producers have to petition for it since it isn't original which they might not have done.

ETA: "Playbill.com has also learned that the score for the acclaimed new musical American Idiot — based on the Green Day album of the same name — is not eligible in the Best Score category."

Tom Kitt is eligible for Best Orchestrations, but the show isn't eligible for Best Score.

The music isn't original to theatre so I believe that they would have noted if it was eligible. Then again, the producers have to petition for it since it isn't original which they might not have done.

ETA: "Playbill.com has also learned that the score for the acclaimed new musical American Idiot — based on the Green Day album of the same name — is not eligible in the Best Score category."

Tom Kitt is eligible for Best Orchestrations, but the show isn't eligible for Best Score.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd love to see Tom Kitt win in his category. The more I listen to what he's done with those arrangements, the more I realize how brilliant he is!

Interestingly, Tommy got a Best Score nomination (and was a co-winner)

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/07/theater/on-stage-and-off.html

The Tony Awards administration committee met yesterday afternoon to make the final clarifications on the eligibility of shows and performers, One bone of contention was whether "Tommy" deserves consideration for best score. Most of the show's music dates, of course, from 1969, when the Who recorded the famous album, and the argument put forth yesterday by Arthur Rubin, producer of "Ain't Broadway Grand," was that the music was not written to be show music.

However, the committee ruled the score eligible after Michael David, one of the producers, introduced a copy of a 1968 magazine interview in which Pete Townshend, the composer, said that "Tommy," which was called a rock opera at the time, was written with the theater in mind.

I think the Tony rules have been revised since to exclude scores that come from albums, like American Idiot.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd love to see Tom Kitt win in his category. The more I listen to what he's done with those arrangements, the more I realize how brilliant he is!

yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to ever be a fly on the wall at their studio! im so glad i got the chance to gush at him when we saw the show.

I live in Studio City (but am in NY like 8x a year) so purposely avoided seeing the Berkley version (hoping it would make it's way over to the 7th Ave) for this very reason. I have seen many beta testing Broadway shows and it's never as good. It's kind of like going to a test screening of a movie while it's still in post production.

I live in NYC and am a theater person, having studied it at NYU and acting in NYC for 10 years, so I intentionally see things that aren't ready. I'm a big fan of following the progression of a theatrical production's life, so for me, it's like a road to see where the show starts and where it ends. I kinda like it.

I think the Tony rules have been revised since to exclude scores that come from albums, like American Idiot.

I think that American Idiot and Fela didn't APPLY to be included in those categories, so hence they were not nominated or considered. Isn't that how it works with these things when the tunes aren't 50% of the score original?

The rules were changed, I believe, a four years after 'Tommy.' However, I've heard that the producers of 'American Idiot' didn't even petition to be eligible so yeah...

Congrats to those involved with AI who are nominated for a Tony! i'm thrilled for them! :woot:

But i'm not familiar with the Tony's nomination process much.

So i'm wondering does all this mean that Green Day themselves are NOT eligible for a Tony win AT ALL EVER??

Congrats to those involved with AI who are nominated for a Tony! i'm thrilled for them! :woot:

But i'm not familiar with the Tony's nomination process much.

So i'm wondering does all this mean that Green Day themselves are NOT eligible for a Tony win AT ALL EVER??

They have to write a score that is 50% ORIGINAL material to the theatrical production in order to be eligible for a Tony for Best Score.