Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

I have a green day shirt on right now with the heart grenade.

They sold 11 million albums, people of all ages love them now, and happen to buy their stuff. Why does having to see it bother you? I am not being rude, I really am curious as to why.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why do teenies bother me? why do homophobes bother me? why do itches bother me? why does a headache bother me?

it just does.

i dont hate it, theres just something about likeing something, then everyone eles later comes in and starts likeing it. hard to explain if you werent around before AI (not saying you werent, i donno if you were)

it bothers me because im a musical elitists and anyone that i can see in a store sucks and i hate everyone.

I dont really get it but ok

why do teenies bother me? why do homophobes bother me? why do itches bother me? why does a headache bother me?

it just does.

I dont get yours either but ok to you too

it just does.

i dont hate it, theres just something about likeing something, then everyone eles later comes in and starts likeing it. hard to explain if you werent around before AI (not saying you werent, i donno if you were)

I was around before Billie joe was even born. So I was, but they consider everyone their fans, so I do too. Why dont you?

hes being sarcastic. im definatly no elitist. i listen to sum 41, offspring, and GREEN DAY, and some blink182, which are definatly not accepted by "musical elitists"

i was being sarcastic...i dont really hate it...i just kinda chuckled about all the things that green day and the people who do green day ( not addy) but the record company ...are getting rich over...green day boxers. bags. thongs. cups. shirts. posters. shoes prolly..condoms. ...

I was around before Billie joe was even born. So I was, but they consider everyone their fans, so I do too. Why dont you?

im just defending how it feels annoying when you like something, then a bunch of people jump on the bandwagon after you. you cant explainit unless you liked em before american idiot. im not saying anything againt you, im not saying im any more of a fan than you, im just saying you cant know the feeling.

besides, i dont think punk rock should be such a corporate thing. its a little different if were talking ac/dc or queen or something.

Yeah but if you have listened to them talk lately they arent saying they want to be the biggest punk band in the world, they wanted to be the biggest and best ROCK band in the world which would put them with ACDC and Queen. Just a thought.

Yeah but if you have listened to them talk lately they arent saying they want to be the biggest punk band in the world, they wanted to be the biggest and best ROCK band in the world which would put them with ACDC and Queen. Just a thought.

yes, and thats not who they used to be. they didnt wanna be the biggest band in the world. they said they just wanted to write music FOR THEMSELVES. I think they kinda sold out to punk rock, i guess is what im saying.

im just defending how it feels annoying when you like something, then a bunch of people jump on the bandwagon after you. you cant explainit unless you liked em before american idiot. im not saying anything againt you, im not saying im any more of a fan than you, im just saying you cant know the feeling.

I do know, I just dont care and am trying to understand your feelings as to why it bothers you.

And to the post above, they STILL do write music for themselves as far as I can tell. They havent sold out in regards to that at all. Also no its not who they used to be. But then again you are quite different than you were 16 yrs ago. You probably couldnt walk, talk or think for yourself and now look at you. Well the same has happened to them in 16 yrs. They certainly havent gotten any taller (HA) but their beliefs and mindset has certainly evolved.

that is a good point. but i dont think they should change their style of music and themselves personally to accomplish that

i donno, i think wanting to be the biggest band in the world is pretty much selling out. they used to say theyre doing it for themselves cus they enjoyed making music.

that is a good point. but i dont think they should change their style of music and themselves personally to accomplish that

They have changed their style of music on almost every single one of their albums. The important thing is they say they are doing it for themselves. Not for anyone else. Thats not selling out.

quote name='ArmatageShanks39' date='Feb 12 2006, 03:24 AM' post='874992']

i donno, i think wanting to be the biggest band in the world is pretty much selling out. they used to say theyre doing it for themselves cus they enjoyed making music.

They have changed their style of music on almost every single one of their albums. The important thing is they say they are doing it for themselves. Not for anyone else. Thats not selling out.

except for 39/smooth through insomniac.

exactly. if they wanted to keep the fans happy and still become the biggest band in the world, they shouldve made AI first. its like they almost dont give a shit about the people who liked em before AI

they wanna be the biggest band in the world....but theyre just making music for themselves...right.

exactly. if they wanted to keep the fans happy and still become the biggest band in the world, they shouldve made AI first. its like they almost dont give a shit about the people who liked em before AI

They couldnt make AI first because they had to go through what they have gone through in life to be able to.

they wanna be the biggest band in the world....but theyre just making music for themselves...right.

lol ya. to be the biggest band in the world, u have to do wut MTV wants, then wut all the teenies want. so who are they making it for then...........

They wanna be the biggest band in the world....but theyre just making music for themselves...right.

Until I see any evidence of them making music just to be played on the radio, mtv or just to sell cds I will stay with my current thinking. If they can make music for themselves and appeal to lots of people and be the biggest band then good for them. I have no problem with that.

Until I see any evidence of them making music just to be played on the radio or to sell cds I will stay with my current thinking. If they can make music for themselves and appeal to lots of people and be the biggest band then good for them. I have no problem with that.

they put out this oscure album not too long ago. maybe you've heard of it. i think it was something like, american idiot?

we could argue this all night, but well never change eachothers opinion. theres not really a right or wrong, or a yes or no. this is a waste of time. its like a metalhead areguing with a cowboy about music...itll never be resolved.

i think we can all agree their music rocks....especially before nimrod...but new stuffs good too. im done with this thread. later.

they put out this oscure album not too long ago. maybe you've heard of it. i think it was something like, american idiot?

I understand your point of view, but I disagree. If you read the lyrics to any song on that cd it is the story of someones life. It wasnt produced to be on mtv or radio.

I understand your point of view, but I disagree. If you read the lyrics to any song on that cd it is the story of someones life. It wasnt produced to be on mtv or radio.

why does that even matter?

even so, the first four singles had nothing to do with the storyline anyway.

we could argue this all night, but well never change eachothers opinion.

i think we can all agree their music rocks. im done with this thread.

Good now I can go to bed.

why does that even matter?

Because I thought you were saying AI was put out just to get them on tv, mtv and radio. Did I misunderstand?

AI is NOTHING like anything theyve done. then all of a sudden, its popular. hmm major change---extremely mainstream....maybe there is a connection

Because I thought you were saying AI was put out just to get them on tv, mtv and radio. Did I misunderstand?

i was saying, why does it matter that the album carries a storyline?

Archived