Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

Oh shut the hell up. I just don;t understand how you consider yourself a fan when you don't agree with them. I would find it rather hard.

thats stupid. I hate Van Halen as people, they were the biggest jackasses ever, but they still rule.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm happy for you. I have nothing left to say here. I think my points have been very well proven. And I don;t wish to respond to your obscure remarks.

in short: "i know i look stupid and lost the arguement."

Oh shut the hell up. I just don;t understand how you consider yourself a fan when you don't agree with them. I would find it rather hard.

i dont understand what i'm not agreeing with here, but whatever...

the point is, they're a band. therefore, to be a fan, wouldn't that just mean enjoying the MUSIC they make/have made in the past?

the point is, they're a band. therefore, to be a fan, wouldn't that just mean enjoying the MUSIC they make/have made in the past?

Yeah, but the band is kind of a whole package, more than just the music. We've had a couple of threads about nazi white power bands, for example, and I would nver listen to them if they were the greatest musicians in the world cos their ideology makes me completely sick. Also why I don't get people who love Gren Day but have opposing political beliefs and don't care that the band is calling them idiots. :D

Yeah, but the band is kind of a whole package, more than just the music. We've had a couple of threads about nazi white power bands, for example, and I would nver listen to them if they were the greatest musicians in the world cos their ideology makes me completely sick. Also why I don't get people who love Gren Day but have opposing political beliefs and don't care that the band is calling them idiots. :D

Its like the example i said before, Lets say someone is anti-drug, should they not like green day because they did drugs in their lives, and had drug references in their songs? ... im anti-drug and i still love green day. for me, its about the music, and what they themselves choose to do outside of the music, will just make me lose respect, but not stop listening to the music.

How about because

1. their music is good.

2. there is more to green day than just their political beliefs.

3. They have a shitload of songs that are meaningful to what one might be going through in their own life

I think thats plenty for now.

i think you can do it either way. a while ago i learned a lot about green day cus they seemed really interesting and got into more than just the music. but then theres some bands i really like, like Less Than Jake, and i dont even know the name of the singer. I guess you can care about the band themselves or not and still be a fan.

that makes sense if you're a die hard fan or something. but i just listen to some of green day's older stuff every once in a while because i liked them so much in middle school so i still enjoy hearing it every once in a while. i'm not really a big fan anymore or anything.

How about because their music is good.

Its like the example i said before, Lets say someone is anti-drug, should they not like green day because they did drugs in their lives, and had drug references in their songs? ... im anti-drug and i still love green day. for me, its about the music, and what they themselves choose to do outside of the music, will just make me lose respect, but not stop listening to the music.

But aren't some values more important than music? How can you still enjoy the work of someone you don't respect, or even maybe doesn't respect you or your deeply held ethical beliefs? What about the example of nazi music?

But aren't some values more important than music? How can you still enjoy the work of someone you don't respect, or even maybe doesn't respect you or your deeply held ethical beliefs? What about the example of nazi music?

Yes, but he isnt saying anything that really bothers me. Mainly because I respect Billies opinion even tho I dont agree with it. He is certainly entitled to it. And I don't give two shits if he respects me or my beliefs.

**I forgot about the Nazi music, if he was playing that I would have a problem with that, but he isnt so I don't.

i think you just dont have to pay attention to their values. lots of bands i listen to i dont know a damn thing about other than burnt cd or something. i dont go research a band when i start listening to em.

i agree with that. listening to green day isn't like listening to nazi music or anything for me. it's not agreeing with them in that sort of sense. it's just thinking that their new image and greed is fucked up. there's a big difference in that. like if green day's music was all pro religion, pro war bullshit, i wouldnt listen to any of it at all.

No values that Green Day hold that conflict with mine are more important their music. Its just some little things they do and have done, make me lose some respect for them. I think it goes by a case by case basis, and no I wouldnt listen to music by nazis.

green day doesnt "offend" me at all either. theyve just done some things that i think are unnecassary, and might not be the really cool people i thougt they were..(cough cough...billie cough) if something really offended me, i might not listen to it (but nothin really does offend me, even if i dont agree with it. everyones entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.

Just wondering. For me their beliefs are extremely similar to mine, not just politically but the sort of things they think are important, etc., so it's not an issue. I have huge respect for them.

when they cd first came out, i didnt think they sold out. i didnt think much of it. but now that everyone is a walking billboard for green day, im starting to wonder what their intentions were. Mike said they wanted to get out of the shadow of Dookie, but now, no one even knows Dookie exists because its 'Billie and the band' singing Boulevard of Broken Dreams

The fact that every other word is a curse word(at his concerts) & pretending to jack off on stage (while his kids are there), getting drunk often (including DWI), possible extramarrital relationship etc. those are great values and beliefs. Again if he didnt need to be setting an example for his kids, I couldn't care less, but he does.. Think about how much shit his kids friends probably give them about the one scene in Bullet in a Bible alone. As much as I enjoy watching it, bad fo his young sons to see..Not something I would want my husband to be doing.

their political beleifs are a lot like mine, but lots of their others arent. i just went through a phase where unhealthily idolized them....and then theyre not exactly what you though they were....its dissapointing, but i got over it. so theyre different than me, whatever, they still rock musically.

this thread is kinda sounding like a broken record anyway.

once billie joe did the whole Adeline clothing thing, i knew he didnt have good intentions. he is a fucking rock star, not a fashion expert. he needs to ditch the trucker hats and adeline shit and jus write and play music. its gotten them to this point so they should continue to do it.

once billie joe did the whole Adeline clothing thing, i knew he didnt have good intentions. he is a fucking rock star, not a fashion expert. he needs to ditch the trucker hats and adeline shit and jus write and play music. its gotten them to this point so they should continue to do it.

coulntve said it better. the adeline thing was really dumb for me....its the most unproductive record lable ever, i think music should be his first priority before a clothing line.

Since when is capitalizing on your success wrong. Thousand of people and companies do it all the time. Its what makes the world go around.

i don't get why you complicate matters so much. you either like a song for it's merits or you don't.

Since when is capitalizing on your success wrong. Thousand of people and companies do it all the time. Its what makes the world go around.

that is possibly the worst defence of all time.

i don't get why you complicate matters so much. you either like a song for it's merits or you don't.

that is possibly the worst defence of all time.

really, thousands of people get murderered every year too, and that doesnt make that right.

are u kidding me? Billie Joe Armstrong plays the guitar and sings music. He is not a fashion designer. When Dookie came out, do u think he wouldve gone "hmm, people like us, i should make a clothing line to make more cash!"

no. its the last fucking thing he'd ever do. i dont care that he's on MTV all the time. i dont care that they are like the most popular band rite now. but a clothing line? Since Fall out boy is cool too (which they suck), should they make clothes now too?

ok, I am not defending them. I just don't understand why people think they know what Billie should and should not do. Many people use their success to venture into other businesses. Ever gone to a famous althete's restaraunt. Should Mike not have Rudi's cant fail cafe because he is in a band. Thats just dumb.

Archived