Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no point in all this. Green Day did not sell out. If you put out music just to make cash (cough;My Chemical Romance) then your a sellout. But Green day has always written music because they believe in it.

:lol: whats with all the references to mcr and their fans?

What did MCR do differently than Green Day? They both with each release have been getting more and more complex and less in sync with their earlier works. The latest releases from both are the most artistic they've done. Each of their latest releases have been concept records that were a bit of a "gamble."

Whether one is better than the other has no bearing at all in the discussion.

^ Thank you. Anyway, this thread is starting to go ever so slightly off topic so I'm going to split whilst I'm ahead :lol:

I'm not going to "argue" anymore, but I will repeat this to help your point:

"Wait, wait. Although I loathe My Chemical Romance with a firey passion (because I don't like the singers' voice, and they are very cookie-cutter), that doesn't mean THEY are sell-out, because I don't truly think they are. They obviously like what they are doing. " Green Day did not sell out. If you put out music just to make cash, then your a sellout. But Green day has always written music because they believe in it." on the otherhand is competely right. Selling out means scarficing yourself/what you do for money. They haven't done that at all. No matter what you say. I made this all very clear in previous posts."

*sigh* proving no one bothers to read my posts properly.

I would never say that Green Day sold out, no. What I love about Green Day is they were kids with nothing that really made something of themselves. I feel that their music is just too good to stay underground. So what if a lot of people like them? a lot of indie bands are so because.. well basically theyr'e crap. A lot of these so called credible band members are from wealthy backgrounds and pretend to live the life I feel. I know so many people that look around for obscure bands to like and the music fades within a few months because it is so awful. Where were all these credible rebels when American Idiot came out? the only band speaking out were the Dixie Chicks.

"We were like a foot that was growing too many toes, it can't fit into the same size sneaker"......Mike Dirnt.

Honestly. I don't think Green Day sold out like people said they did, what would those people do if they were in the bands position. Give up the dream of a lifetime and give up what they had been trying to do, it wasn't for the money it was for the music.

If someone says they wouldn't join up to a label they are lying, its a one in a lifetime chance and Green Day took it. And because I think people regret giving them support, I think the people who dissed them are blaming them for making a career out of what they like to do.

green day sold out.

and people that say "you hate them for making an album that people bought?" are dumb.

you dont have to sell albums to sell you, you have to do it for the money.

green day sells their merch at target and a lot of bands make money off merch and tickets, not records, so if their stuff is being sold at a national corporation, then you're sold out because you're doing it for the money.

also, punk bands dont make songs with U2.

Green Day hardly have anything to do with their merchandise. Billie Joe has said he'd rather just 'stick to the t-shirt' (Times Talks Q&A)

As for tickets, Green Day are a really cheap band. When I went to see them in 2005, they had 7 albums out (plus Shenanigans and ISH). I payed 30 euros for floor tickets and I got real close up front too. Maroon 5 is playing this December, they have 2 albums out. The venue is the same as where Green Day played. Floor tickets like the ones I got for Green Day are 45 euros. Just saying.

Did they fuck sell out. Just because they progress musically, or try a new style of music for a song everyone is like "omgzzzz s3ll ouuts". Green Day did not sell out and never have done.

I put this in my Myspace profile:

I LOVE GREEN DAY. I DO NOT THINK THEY SOLD OUT. DEAL WITH IT.

That would be my simple reply.

BUT in keeping with my habit of making novels out of simple subjects...

The punk culture, I've learned (forgive me, my view is only that of what I see in CT) seems to a culture that can be the most open-minded...IF you apply to their code. Green Day sings about all the stuff punks "stand" for (all I ever see them do is sit around and get drunk) AND Green Day makes a sweet profit to boot. That does not mean they sold out. They actually have made it to the American Dream on THEIR terms. There has been NO COMPROMISE to their sound unless THEY wanted it.

But therein lies the problem. To be punk, you shouldn't sign to a label and think about having a family AND being able to not have that family live in a shack in the middle of nowhere. Thinking of comforts is a no-no in punk, unless its as a community thing. Sorry, but I think the guys just upgraded their pay-check, not their morals. They don't mess around in the tabloids or beg for attention. And just because American Idiot and Dookie previous to that happened to bring them to huge media spotlight, they're sell-outs? If the story is true, I heard that they could have signed to a label WAYYY before Dookie was their major label debut. It could have been Kerplunk!. (Forgive me, I have a wicked bad memory, I might be wrong as to which album it could have been.) But they WAITED until the RIGHT label came along that would let them be in control.

Them Green Day guys happened in on a string of wonderful coincidences (though I doubt they needed coincidences anyways) and made it big without compromising much. It wasn't them that changed; it was the fan-base's attitude. It was jealousy and territorial feelings that come from supposedly "liking a band before they were big". All of sudden, this great thing is for everybody and their grandmother too?

A change of venue and the view is dim from dim-witted people who are happy to exist in dirt.

I don't mean to bash punks or anything, but that's my view from CT. The same thing would happen if ANY band here HAPPENED to actually make it. OR maybe not. 'Cause then they'd be millionaires and belong to the climate of CT and its rich people.

Did I happen to make any sense?

Probably not.

:mellow:

"Altough, for the sake of simplicity, punk is described as a movement, it was only ever a collective of individual free spirits. In fact, it is these individuals who make punk difficult to define: just when you have managed to encapsulate the ethos, these free spirits break away and make you think again. This is the essance of the movement..." -by the people that were there.

Green Day are free spirits; they didn't follow the stereotypes laid out by the macho "hardcore" punks of the 80s punk-revival scene.

"Selling out refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. A person who does this, as opposed to following the original path s/he laid (or claimed to lay) out for him/herself, is labeled a sellout and regarded with disgust and immediate loss of respect. Selling out is seen as gaining success at the cost of credibility." -Wikipedia

Green Day have not done this. Therefore, there is no arguement, and they have not sold out, and they are more *punk* than other "punk" bands that stayed indie and/or calling Green Day "sell-outs" & "not punk"

Great topic Andres, loved your answer

Why do people think that just because this last album was a huge success, Green Day are now sellouts? Really...

I bet that if AI had exactly the same songs and lyrics and riffs and chorus, but had the same success has kerplunk, people wouldn't say that they were sellouts.

Open your eyes, being a sellout isn't selling a big number of records... if Green Day sold 11million copies, thats cause they made good music and people liked it.

Great topic Andres, loved your answer

Why do people think that just because this last album was a huge success, Green Day are now sellouts? Really...

I bet that if AI had exactly the same songs and lyrics and riffs and chorus, but had the same success has kerplunk, people wouldn't say that they were sellouts.

Open your eyes, being a sellout isn't selling a big number of records... if Green Day sold 11million copies, thats cause they made good music and people liked it.

The thing is, people who don't like them anymore (besides the "sell-out" controversy), is because they don't like Green Day's "new sound", and want the to sound more like Dookie again. But THAT will tire them after a while too, and they'll get bored, and hate it. But if they sound even slightly different, people freak out. Green Day can't seem to win with these people. What happened to progession; evolving; experimenting?

AND PEOPLE BETTER READ WHAT I WROTE JUST BEFORE THIS! IT'S IMPORTANT!

The thing is, people who don't like them anymore (besides the "sell-out" controversy), is because they don't like Green Day's "new sound", and want the to sound more like Dookie again. But THAT will tire them after a while too, and they'll get bored, and hate it. But if they sound even slightly different, people freak out. Green Day can't seem to win with these people. What happened to progession; evolving; experimenting?

Yeah... I mean, I wouldn't like if Green Day made always the same type of albums...

8 Dookies or 8 Warnings?

And you're right, they have always something bad to say...

Arrested for having a dog, and arrested for not having

(literal translation for a expression used here)

if the band "evolve" along a similar path to fans (I`m not talking money or whatever here) then the fans will still like them. if the fans path goes in a different direction to the bands, then the fans lose interest. maybe they start bitching, like the band actually owe them something. or that they have been betrayed.

bollocks. the band do what they want to do. if individual fans dont like it, tough. they have to live with their conscience. not yours. go judge your own life/standards or whatever. the guys do the best they can, by the standards they have set themselves.

if they put a record out I dont like, understand or find to be totally offensive, then I`ll find another band to find the words I cant to express how I feel. not my loss, or theirs. thats the way life goes. win some/lose some.

if the band "evolve" along a similar path to fans (I`m not talking money or whatever here) then the fans will still like them. if the fans path goes in a different direction to the bands, then the fans lose interest. maybe they start bitching, like the band actually owe them something. or that they have been betrayed.

bollocks. the band do what they want to do. if individual fans dont like it, tough. they have to live with their conscience. not yours. go judge your own life/standards or whatever. the guys do the best they can, by the standards they have set themselves.

if they put a record out I dont like, understand or find to be totally offensive, then I`ll find another band to find the words I cant to express how I feel. not my loss, or theirs. thats the way life goes. win some/lose some.

Exactly.

Green Day obviously don't care if they piss off their fans by releasing a certain type of album, though.. They KNEW that putting certain songs on the albums are a gamble to their fans, etc.. but they do it anyway, because it's THEIR music; THEIR choice. Their not doing it to please anyone but theselves. One of their best traits (: As long as they like it, they're happy.

Exactly.

Green Day obviously don't care if they piss off their fans by releasing a certain type of album, though.. They KNEW that putting certain songs on the albums are a gamble to their fans, etc.. but they do it anyway, because it's THEIR music; THEIR choice. Their not doing it to please anyone but theselves. One of their best traits (: As long as they like it, they're happy.

Absolutely right... I arrest my case

"Altough, for the sake of simplicity, punk is described as a movement, it was only ever a collective of individual free spirits. In fact, it is these individuals who make punk difficult to define: just when you have managed to encapsulate the ethos, these free spirits break away and make you think again. This is the essance of the movement..." -by the people that were there.

Green Day are free spirits; they didn't follow the stereotypes laid out by the macho "hardcore" punks of the 80s punk-revival scene.

"Selling out refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. A person who does this, as opposed to following the original path s/he laid (or claimed to lay) out for him/herself, is labeled a sellout and regarded with disgust and immediate loss of respect. Selling out is seen as gaining success at the cost of credibility." -Wikipedia

Green Day have not done this. Therefore, there is no arguement, and they have not sold out, and they are more *punk* than other "punk" bands that stayed indie and/or calling Green Day "sell-outs" & "not punk"

^ I think what I said here should literally put an end to all future aguements against Green Day, but some silly people are incredibly hard-headed.

^ I think what I said here should literally put an end to all future aguements against Green Day, but some silly people are incredibly hard-headed.

You don't imagine how many times ive heard in my school that Green Day are sellouts because of this and that

I started to answering them, but now i dont care... let them fuck themselves up, too bad they dnt appreciate good music

Archived