Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

^Wonderfully put. And about the American Idol apperace; I was a little horrified that they were on a show that I loathe, but they themselves have said that they watch it (with amusement, apparently). Also; they were there to promote the INSTANT KARMA album, not themselves. You can tell because they had the intro by the Seacrest thing to talk about the album, and the banners and stuff on the stage behind them had NOTHING to do with them- it was all people of Darfur. That preformance was purely to get EVERYONE and ANYONE interested in helping out the campaigne and buying the album.

They chose a great song and did a fantastic cover of it, which would appeal to the masses (because who aren't Beatles' fans?) This song probably wouldn't have been their pick if it was going on a album/compilation CD of theirs because it does not nessisarily represent what they want to represent them on their albums for their fans & new fans to hear. But this was not for them, they knew that. You should be as happy as they are to be apart of something that's helping others. And be lucky that you have chosen a band to...be a fan of?...moderately like?...that WANTS to do something.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't think Green Day sold out. When they started working on American Idiot, they really had no idea what direction it was gonna take them. It was something completely new for them (the rockopera thing and writing 9-minute songs) but to them it felt good and to them it felt like Green Day. If Green Day says their work felt like something Green Day, who are we to say it's not Green Day? So by the time they finished American Idiot, GD were totally excited about it coming out, but it was also terrifying for them in the way that they had no idea how people would take it, if they'd be slagged to death for it or not. Yet they still stuck to writing and finishing that record, thereby standing up for what they believed was the right thing to do at that time. The fact so many people appreciated that record and their believes, does not make Green Day sellouts. It just makes them succesfull artists who've managed to make a kickass record that shared thoughts and feelings with many people.

If they really were sellouts, they would have stuck to writing songs about masturbation and adolescence, because it's proven to be highly succesfull before.

And I also think that if Green Day's main goal was to make as much money as possible with their music, we would've had at least 2 new albums by now. :]

you're totally right!

Yes, punk for young teens. Punk-rock, in other words.

exactly... and i think punk should be for have funny and stand up for your believes... so they didn't sell out at all....

i heard about bj saying that a GD fan who thinks they sold out isn't a real their fun!

Mainstream isn't punk.

It involves a genre after the word, 'pop'.

I'll agree there.

You can name all these underground bands you want; punk is dead.

It wouldn't matter if a real punk band showed up anyway.

"They're Punk."

"No They're Not."

"They're Punk."

"No They're Not."

"They're Punk."

"No They're Not."

"They're Punk."

"No They're Not."

"They're Punk."

"No They're Not."

Yes, I do think they did sold out but I don't really care if their mainstream now because I'll aways love them no matter how high their star status is. If they still make good music, I'll love them. =]

By defeinition, yes, they did sell out by signing to a major label. But they still made awesome music, and that's all that really matters.

I don't know what the fuck it will take all you my chemical romance lovers and skaters that green day is not a group of 17 year old "sweet children" any more. They're like 30-something. They're married with kids. I'm pretty sure that's something can change your maturety level. They're still the most punk rock band in existence

Mainstream isn't punk.It involves a genre after the word, 'pop'.I'll agree there.You can name all these underground bands you want; punk is dead.
How can you say that? There are thousands of punk bands, you just haven't heard of them because you don't look past huge corporate record stores and MTV.
I don't know what the fuck it will take all you my chemical romance lovers and skaters that green day is not a group of 17 year old "sweet children" any more. They're like 30-something. They're married with kids. I'm pretty sure that's something can change your maturety level. They're still the most punk rock band in existence
I don't care if Green Day is on a major label or not, either way, how does that reflect their maturity?

Can you please just take that close minded noobish ass of yours and crap somewhere else? No body cares.

Okay... You people DO know that punk was STARTED by a bunch of teens...right? *rolls eyes*By DEFINITION Green Day DID NOT sell-out...Selling-out means SACRIFICING themselves/work for money. They have not. Just because they make more money, doesn't mean they sold-out. They're doing what they love, and they aren't writing songs to appeal to others.

Can you please just take that close minded noobish ass of yours and crap somewhere else? No body cares.
Hey, watch it. stjimmy31295 made a good point. They're not THE punkest band EVER, but they are DAMN punk for their age. You can't take punk out of you unless you were into because of the fashion idea to begin with, and Green Day weren't. Working Class people CANNOT get into because of fashion, and Green Day have been into since they were teenagers. I'd say with that statement you just made, you are a VERY immature person, and it is YOU that is being close-minded. So please, do us all a favour and shut your yap.

^ Do you concur with doughtnut sprinkles? Maybe if you do; she'll realise that she obviously has no idea what she's talking about when it comes to 'punk' and 'selling-out'.

Agreed. How long have you liked Green Day, by the way? Because seeing as she's 13, and you're obviously older than her, and if you liked them for a descent amout of time- the basis on which she called you a "noob" would be completely wrong.

P.S NO ONE SHOULD BE USING THAT LAME, IMMATURE NAME EVER! And if you do; I suggest you use it in better context, AND say it without using some silly chat-speak.

Yes, I don't like the term in particular, but what else are you planning on calling it? It's been used for so VERY long. Even before it was for this particular context.

Yes, I don't like the term in particular, but what else are you planning on calling it? It's been used for so VERY long. Even before it was for this particular context.

I plan on calling music that was/is punk; punk. Punk is only a genre of music to me.

I only hate saying it because of the connotation and the total bastardization that has happened to the word. If people weren't so stupid, and didn't use words all the time that they don't understand or try and label everything in the world, everything would be much better.

i agree with you 100%

I plan on calling music that was/is punk; punk. Punk is only a genre of music to me.

I only hate saying it because of the connotation and the total bastardization that has happened to the word. If people weren't so stupid, and didn't use words all the time that they don't understand or try and label everything in the world, everything would be much better.

Yes, well, people have to *have* some way to get their kicks and separate everyone. It's twisted, but that's how people are. Prejudice, stereotypes, etc...

Anyway, you can't deny that there was a punk scene that started back in the 70s. The original "punks" actually insisted that they weren't, and it wasn't punk, but an underground rock 'n' roll movement. Those people I respect. :dry: McLaren trying to blow it up made it the silly thing it has become.

"I think "punk" is an overused word/As a matter of fact..." ~Adam & The Ants

for me punk is a state of being, not only a genre... and i think punk shouldn't have rules.... so what means sell out? just have a label... and do you know that it's normal to have it!

Archived