Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

annie I dont think you have changed one persons opinion.

I think your disrespect for them is unwarranted.

I still dont get why you think they earn a boatload of money off their merchandise, or why you have a problem with a major label capitalizing on a hugely popular album/band.

Labels are in the business to make money. Are you aware that they are signed with one, because you dont act like it.

I'm gunna think that I've changed SOMEONE'S opinion in some way until every person that's read what I've had to said here tells me that I haven't made them rethink and reconsider the Green Day's morals and intentions.

and that's where you go wrong, you think capitalism is what's important. sure, capitalism has its upsides but I'm not gonna go into some capitalist debate here. shitloads of money is fine in whatever quantity it comes, it's the immoral means that GD and the label have used to get it. and if GD had a problem with it, why not move to Adeline. but so far, it seems they love it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm gunna think that I've changed SOMEONE'S opinion in some way until every person that's read what I've had to said here tells me that I haven't made them rethink and reconsider the Green Day's morals and intentions.

and that's where you go wrong, you think capitalism is what's important. sure, capitalism has its upsides but I'm not gonna go into some capitalist debate here. shitloads of money is fine in whatever quantity it comes, it's the immoral means that GD and the label have used to get it. and if GD had a problem with it, why not move to Adeline. but so far, it seems they love it.

you are trying WAY too hard.....

just a little bit of advice for you there

And she's far too busy coming up with unique and revolutionary ideas about Green Day! :woot: Woo!!

they're not unique or revolutionary or punk. it's common sense that would apply to anyone in Green Day's position.

You have a green day clock???? Lucky. :lol:

i don't now, it just broke :cry: i'll go buy another one later and maybe some Green Day socks to go with it, so Green Day can have some more money.

I haven't read all the replies to this thread so sorry if I'm repeating stuff that's already been said, but here's my view.

Yeah so Green Day have a shitload of money now, but I don't see why that matters. I personally love them because they make meaningful music, some which I can relate to, some that I just like the sound of, etc. Think how easy it would have been to decide after the success of Nimrod to just go and record some absolute crap just because they'd earnt enough to support themselves and their families. But they didn't, they still wrote with meaning to produce American Idiot, not just an album but a whole friggin story. (please don't try and correct me by saying "but there was albums in between Nimrod and AI!!!!" I know that.) It kinda shows, for me anyway, that they've never done it for the money, well at least not for the amount of money they've ended up with. You need to earn a living right?

I know that if I was ever in their shoes I'd want money for what I'm doing too. Greedy I know, but I guess it's sort of human instinct. And it's not like they're not giving anything back. They've done a lot of things for the less fortunate particularly in the last couple of years.

As long as they don't convert to the "let's just make an album of shit so we can earn a bit more" type of band, I don't give a crap how much they earn.

One more time, just for fun. It's all been discussed here before. We've read it all before. Have you read this entire thread and the other threads that have been done ?? You're just rehashing it. Been there, done that. We've all been down this road before. No new ideas here.

Maybe I haven't gotten my point across...

I'm sorry I weren't here before, but I'm here to get MY point across. I'm not urging people to reply, though I expected replies as you would if you wanted to stir the pot. and like I said before, why not close the thread if the topic's "dead".

eBay

Billie Joe Armstrong

Starting Bid: $20.00 USD

Adrienne kicked him out of the house and Billie needs a place to crash for the night!

Feel free to delude yourself in any way that makes you happy. :lol:

eBay

Billie Joe Armstrong

Starting Bid: $20.00 USD

Adrienne kicked him out of the house and Billie needs a place to crash for the night!

aww. he can sleep in a box, that's totally punk.

it can be done with the click of a button.

exactly. it's that easy.

click away and I'll be unable to brainwash you helpless little fangirls no more.

it can be done with the click of a button.

oh oh oh oh oh oh can i press it? can i press it?

aww. he can sleep in a box, that's totally punk.

poor billie joe

exactly. it's that easy.

click away and I'll be unable to brainwash you helpless little fangirls no more.

:o the temptation

Wrong again annie. Green Day doesnt see much of that money, nor do they make their music so they can capitalize on merchandise. (that would be selling out) MCR's album wasnt nearly as popular as AI was for Green Day. I am sure if they have a repeat huge album you will see tons more merch for them too.I am old, and I dont know many fans that left because they sold merch with AI. You know why?? Because their music still KICKED ASS. Thats why. It would be pretty shallow to say otherwise.
unless you incite something factual like an article or something, I'm not gonna believe what you first said there.I don't know how old you are, but I assumed you were under 14 based on your sig and av. and from someone that knows a good deal number of people who were big fans of Green Day from before, there are a LOT of ex-fans who have left because of the overmarketing of AI as a product.
Because some of us are having a bit of fun mocking you.
aww, thanks for waiting for me.I thought this discussion was LONG dead too.

Holy shit, people take music sooo seriously!! Talking about Dookie and blah blah, merch, blah blah, money, blah blah. I personally don't give a shit what genre Green Day is labeled. If you like how the music sounds, that's all that matters. What is punk anyways? Jesus, it is so over rated. You can't define punk....They can't do anything without people flipping out and moaning and groaning about how they "sold out". So what, when Dookie was released and they gained all those fans, did you want them to ignore their fans and not try to progress their career? I just think that if they release more merch or sell ringtones (hey, people buy it, therefore it is in demand...if they didn't have enough merch people would complain too.) then they are allowed. I'm just so sick and tired about people flipping out over this topic. I think they should be able to do whatever they live just like every other band without people, including fans, accusing them of selling out at every turn.

I haven't read all the replies to this thread so sorry if I'm repeating stuff that's already been said, but here's my view.Yeah so Green Day have a shitload of money now, but I don't see why that matters. I personally love them because they make meaningful music, some which I can relate to, some that I just like the sound of, etc. Think how easy it would have been to decide after the success of Nimrod to just go and record some absolute crap just because they'd earnt enough to support themselves and their families. But they didn't, they still wrote with meaning to produce American Idiot, not just an album but a whole friggin story. (please don't try and correct me by saying "but there was albums in between Nimrod and AI!!!!" I know that.) It kinda shows, for me anyway, that they've never done it for the money, well at least not for the amount of money they've ended up with. You need to earn a living right?I know that if I was ever in their shoes I'd want money for what I'm doing too. Greedy I know, but I guess it's sort of human instinct. And it's not like they're not giving anything back. They've done a lot of things for the less fortunate particularly in the last couple of years.As long as they don't convert to the "let's just make an album of shit so we can earn a bit more" type of band, I don't give a crap how much they earn.
they were about to be dropped from the label and when they heard that they knew they needed to make shitloads to stay in. doesn't that suggest something? that they've sucked up to the big guys in suits? they have Adeline too, they coulda just gone to that and the success would've been the same if not, bigger.
oh oh oh oh oh oh can i press it? can i press it?poor billie joe
go ahead, honey. that way, I can be free to make my own threads on the topic.
:o the temptation
you do know that I'll only start another thread.

you do know that I'll only start another thread.

you do know that i'll just close it again.

well you've definitely changed my opinion, so i'm leaving now, enlightened.

Holy shit, people take music sooo seriously!! Talking about Dookie and blah blah, merch, blah blah, money, blah blah. I personally don't give a shit what genre Green Day is labeled. If you like how the music sounds, that's all that matters. What is punk anyways? Jesus, it is so over rated. You can't define punk....They can't do anything without people flipping out and moaning and groaning about how they "sold out". So what, when Dookie was released and they gained all those fans, did you want them to ignore their fans and not try to progress their career? I just think that if they release more merch or sell ringtones (hey, people buy it, therefore it is in demand...if they didn't have enough merch people would complain too.) then they are allowed. I'm just so sick and tired about people flipping out over this topic. I think they should be able to do whatever they live just like every other band without people, including fans, accusing them of selling out at every turn.

well to reply, this probably has only little to do with what's punk. because to me, they're a peoples' band than just a punk rock band.

they were about to be dropped from the label and when they heard that they knew they needed to make shitloads to stay in. doesn't that suggest something? that they've sucked up to the big guys in suits? they have Adeline too, they coulda just gone to that and the success would've been the same if not, bigger.

I probably would too, if my career was in jeopardy. If I was doing something I loved for a living I'd want it to last. I know that probably makes me sound like a greedy suck up, but hey, fact of life I guess. They still managed to be successful without resorting to bullshit, that's all I'm saying.

dont go

:cry:

so? people are gonna read it no matter how you take away my right to speech.

so? people are gonna read it no matter how you take away my right to speech.

Freedom of Speech; not Freedom of Typing

unless you incite something factual like an article or something, I'm not gonna believe what you first said there.I don't know how old you are, but I assumed you were under 14 based on your sig and av. and from someone that knows a good deal number of people who were big fans of Green Day from before, there are a LOT of ex-fans who have left because of the overmarketing of AI as a product.
I am a few decades older than 14. I most likely know a few more 20-40 yr olds than you. While many of them may not have liked all the marketing and BS that went along with AI, they still respect them and their talent and the masterpiece they put out known as American Idiot. People that leave a band because of overmarketing and not because they dont like their music anymore is just ..uhm.......well..... .. . stupid. You dont quite seem to understand how the music industry works. You dont answer direct questions such as dumbstruck27's. What would you do if your career was in jeopardy? (even tho i never once read they were almost dropped, so until you incite something factual I'm not gonna believe what you first said there either.)

If you listen to the NY times talk interview and Q & A's you will hear Billie Joes answer to that question about merchandising and marketing.

i don't now, it just broke :cry: i'll go buy another one later and maybe some Green Day socks to go with it, so Green Day can have some more money.
I have green day socks! :banana: They are comfy. I bet Billie bought a new guitar with the money he made from those socks.

I'm gunna think that I've changed SOMEONE'S opinion in some way until every person that's read what I've had to said here tells me that I haven't made them rethink and reconsider the Green Day's morals and intentions.and that's where you go wrong, you think capitalism is what's important. sure, capitalism has its upsides but I'm not gonna go into some capitalist debate here. shitloads of money is fine in whatever quantity it comes, it's the immoral means that GD and the label have used to get it. and if GD had a problem with it, why not move to Adeline. but so far, it seems they love it.
No you havent changed anyones opinion. Green Day and the record label are two seperate things here. You do understand that right?? As to why dont they move to Adeline, haha. That is plain silly. Do you have any idea how many people have jobs because of Green Day? There is absolutely no way they could manage themselves at this point. Which is what they would be doing if they moved to Adeline.

Archived