Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

unless they've sold out to the millions of dollars they knew could make with overmarketing AI. which they have/

Kid, this topic is pointless to discuss.

And do you even know what selling out means?

Marketing out an amazing album, does not mean they've sold out.

Learn your goddamn definitions.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kid, this topic is pointless to discuss.And do you even know what selling out means?Marketing out an amazing album, does not mean they've sold out.Learn your goddamn definitions.
what about their new clothing line...... uh, they do have that right?

i heard something about it, unless i heard wrong

Hey now, I have GD shoelaces, and I like them! :P As long as there are people willing to buy them, they'll keep making more merch. Besides, things have changed a lot in that area for bands since the 90's. They're not the ones who decide how much to have anyway.
you like them simply coz of the fact they have the Heart-Grenade logo on them, not because there's a quality to them. they draw you in with music--that's fine. then they make you buy w/e that has "Green Day" printed on it, multiple the price its worth, and base the GD business on merch.
Kid, this topic is pointless to discuss.And do you even know what selling out means?Marketing out an amazing album, does not mean they've sold out.Learn your goddamn definitions.
according to the sometimes reliable Wikipedia:"Selling out refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. "dude, it's an amazing album, yeah. but that doesn't mean you have to rinse all the money you can. and there's a fine line between marketing and selling out.

hey hey, instead of clothing and shoe laces and such they should sell actual explosives in the shape of hearts. i would buy those

This has been talked to DEATH here. I think the topic should stay dead.

We were all thinking it, there was no need to say it though. I mean this place has been kinda lame for a while, we need this thread. Don't you miss the arguments? :)

what about their new clothing line...... uh, they do have that right?

i heard something about it, unless i heard wrong

it's true. Adeline Clothing or something.

no offense to Adrienne, she's allowed to do this and all, but they're all very over-priced and they're not original at all. not so much that's cracked up to be. I'd rather them sell clothing with Adeline bands on them if they wanted dosh to support the label.

you like them simply coz of the fact they have the Heart-Grenade logo on them, not because there's a quality to them. they draw you in with music--that's fine. then they make you buy w/e that has "Green Day" printed on it, multiple the price its worth, and base the GD business on merch.according to the sometimes reliable Wikipedia:"Selling out refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. "dude, it's an amazing album, yeah. but that doesn't mean you have to rinse all the money you can. and there's a fine line between marketing and selling out.

woah woah woah. did you just call wiki reliable? wow.

they're in it for the music, always have been, hopefully always will be. this has been done to death, just let it die.

"Selling out refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society."

the definition of "selling out" that you state here doesn't even apply to what you're talking about.

Ramones, AC/DC, H.I.M, Iron Maiden, Fall Out Boy, Metallica - they all have alarm clocks and the 'pointless' accessories you name. Green Day are now 1 of the biggest bands around so ther merchandise is obviously wanted by the fans so it's not selling out at all.

the sad fact is, Green Day needn't have to have their alarm clocks. they had a strong fanbase already from their past albums. they just blew most of the loyal ones off with all the merch. even when AI received ongoing impetus, they still put out useless, plastic toys with "Green Day" plastered on them. and if you look at other successfully big bands, they didn't have to have as much merch as GD has now.

you like them simply coz of the fact they have the Heart-Grenade logo on them, not because there's a quality to them. they draw you in with music--that's fine. then they make you buy w/e that has "Green Day" printed on it, multiple the price its worth, and base the GD business on merch

well OF COURSE she likes them because they have the GD logo on it, thats the whole damn point. they don't make band merch for quality they make it for people who like the band and want to show it or want to support the band. and i highly doubt the GD business is based on merch, considering they would only be able to sell their merchandise if people like the music. if the record sucked and no songs got popular and nobody listend to the record, do you think there would be as much merchandise? no.

you like them simply coz of the fact they have the Heart-Grenade logo on them, not because there's a quality to them. they draw you in with music--that's fine. then they make you buy w/e that has "Green Day" printed on it, multiple the price its worth, and base the GD business on merch.

according to the sometimes reliable Wikipedia:"Selling out refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. "dude, it's an amazing album, yeah. but that doesn't mean you have to rinse all the money you can. and there's a fine line between marketing and selling out.

Don't ever assume.

---

They've never sold out. They made a successful album, and they have alot of merch?

So, what you're saying is, if you have alot mech, than they're sellouts...

You're obviously confused on what 'selling out' refers to, even with a somewhat correct definition.

And besides, who doesn't like money?

They've never separated from their roots, nor will I believe they ever.

See that's what's terrible about music. Who doesn't want to make millions? You can do a lot of good things with that money, and help yourself and your family. No worries in life. I'm sure half the people who criticize Green Day's making millions of dollars, and jumping to a bigger record label would jump at the first chance they got to do something like that. It's not selling out, it's just becoming popular. Popularity doesn't mean you change. It just means there'll be more people in the ass kissing line. Like Andres. :)

Selling out isn't what they did. When they got popular, they weren't just going to stop making music. They were giving the world a good thing, and loving it themselves, so why stop just because people want to hear more of it.

Why does anyone still ask if they sold out? What does selling out even mean? From what I've heard and seen, the fame, admiration, and money that came with signing to reprise has not made Green Day any worse than they were. In fact, they're better then they were. And it gave them the money so that they could send their kids to the best schools, live in the best neighborhoods. And by signing to a major label, they got more global attention, meaning they have the power to help the world, and to change it for the better.

If selling out means you get paid what you deserve for bringing happiness to the world, and you get the best quality producers in the business to bring out the best of your music, then I want to sell out. The more money you have behind your album, the more places it can be distributed to, so you can spread happiness to more people everywhere. Wow, so evil.

Fuck starving artists, because they tend to be self absorbed loads that think they are above everyone else and the rest of society, but deep down all they want is for everyone else to think they're enduring and cool for choosing to stay poor. Fuckwads is what they are.

well from what I've heard, the boys still live in dinghy old Berkeley. best neighbourhood in Berkeley, I suppose. major label's fine, fame's fine, admiration's great but why overpromote not just the album, but Green Day as a product too? is the initial intention of ant-war stances and anti-American protests still there?

off the top of my head, Rancid, a band whose quality and sound is very similar to GD's, has achieved enormous admiration, loyalty (even more than GD) and success simply by keeping it simple.

i guess the biggest question i have is, why does it matter?

selling shit with your name and logos on it has little to no affect on the music. so how is it relevant?

green day aren't fucking fugazi, why shouldn't they sell merch?

off the top of my head, Rancid, a band whose quality and sound is very similar to GD's, has achieved enormous admiration, loyalty (even more than GD) and success simply by keeping it simple.

Don't compare rubbish like Rancid to Green Day.

They're nothing remotely close to Green Day.

Before you try to make a useless argument, know what you're talking about first.

well OF COURSE she likes them because they have the GD logo on it, thats the whole damn point.

:lol: exactly.

so what if someone wants a GD alarm clock or shoelaces? like armatageshanks said, it doesn't affect the music so why should you care?

you can't compare rancid to green day.

sure, they came from the same area and scene, but that's where any and all comparisons end.

enormous success for rancid? yeah, right. i think i heard "time bomb" on the radio once like 3 years ago.

woah woah woah. did you just call wiki reliable? wow.they're in it for the music, always have been, hopefully always will be. this has been done to death, just let it die.
well duh, they'll always do the band for the music. they're awesome musicians.
the definition of "selling out" that you state here doesn't even apply to what you're talking about.
well. didn't they go against dressing like everyone else did when they initially started? wouldn't they have gone against all this expensive merch crap merely half a decade ago?
well OF COURSE she likes them because they have the GD logo on it, thats the whole damn point. they don't make band merch for quality they make it for people who like the band and want to show it or want to support the band. and i highly doubt the GD business is based on merch, considering they would only be able to sell their merchandise if people like the music. if the record sucked and no songs got popular and nobody listend to the record, do you think there would be as much merchandise? no.
you've missed the point. reel them in with pretty-looking music and rebellious anti-war stances and then make a whole line of merch of almost anything and everything. and what do you get? more than you're worth.

didn't they go against dressing like everyone else did when they initially started? wouldn't they have gone against all this expensive merch crap merely half a decade ago?

wait a second? how can you compare "not dressing like everyone else did" to selling merch?

and for the record, i think any band who has just started wants to make as much money as they possibly can, no matter how many times they say otherwise. you know it's complete bullshit when anybody says, "nahhh i don't want to make any money at all, i just wanna do it for the music."

so to answer your question, no.

Don't ever assume.---They've never sold out. They made a successful album, and they have alot of merch?So, what you're saying is, if you have alot mech, than they're sellouts...You're obviously confused on what 'selling out' refers to, even with a somewhat correct definition.And besides, who doesn't like money?They've never separated from their roots, nor will I believe they ever.
who needs money? more like, ALL THAT money. weren't they the same guys who believed that money, especially excessive millions of it, isn't everything? because it's true, unless you're a spoilt twat, that money has nothing to do with international wars, peace, being anti-pop culture, being anti-corporate American etc.-- all that AI stands for.
See that's what's terrible about music. Who doesn't want to make millions? You can do a lot of good things with that money, and help yourself and your family. No worries in life. I'm sure half the people who criticize Green Day's making millions of dollars, and jumping to a bigger record label would jump at the first chance they got to do something like that. It's not selling out, it's just becoming popular. Popularity doesn't mean you change. It just means there'll be more people in the ass kissing line. Like Andres. :)Selling out isn't what they did. When they got popular, they weren't just going to stop making music. They were giving the world a good thing, and loving it themselves, so why stop just because people want to hear more of it.
I'm not for that. I'd be for making music on a major label and getting what you earn, but not befooling my own fans and friends with making bandaids with my name on it, high-pricing it, and adding the profits to my overflowing bank account.

the sad fact is, Green Day needn't have to have their alarm clocks. they had a strong fanbase already from their past albums. they just blew most of the loyal ones off with all the merch. even when AI received ongoing impetus, they still put out useless, plastic toys with "Green Day" plastered on them. and if you look at other successfully big bands, they didn't have to have as much merch as GD has now.

um, hello? RHCP have fucking onesies, and Johnny Rotten himself and the rest of the Sex Pistols (plus the Ramones and Clash) have action figures... you shouldn't judge a band based on their merch. Im pretty sure they don't ask companies to make alarm clocks of them, I'm pretty sure it's the companies that are using their success, they don't ask of that. And your comment about how they signed to a major to get successful is bull crap, Livermore himself said he was GLAD they signed because Lookout wasn't able to handle the demand... and tons of bands are successful AND on indie labels (The Living End, Gogol Bordello, etc...) I think Green Day made the right decision signing to Reprise, Lookout couldn't handle them...and ended up screwing them later...

Annie, you still haven't answered mine and armatageshanks' question of why does it matter to you how much merch there is?

Archived