Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

I dont think they sold out. They are remarkable, making music that defines who they are as "punks." If they decide to make it a profession, good for them. If people find themselves liking it, good for them. But just because they became a major part of culture, music, and possibly being recognized as "pop" and or "punk," doesnt mean they neccessarily sold out.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol @ this thread

its all redundant now

who cares if Green Day did or didnt sell out

they cant control it, and neither can we

so why should we worry about it?

Air refreshener?

LMAO

With all the merch out now, imagine how much crap would be out with their next album

i dont really know nor care. the fact is that there is such an insane amount of posers out there who pretend to like a bunch of bands no ones ever heard of and hate bands everyone likes because thats cool now. i used to think it was a little riddiculus some of what they did, but i really dont care anymore. they dont have control over any of the merch, they dont even know what the music videos gonna be like until its done. so no, i dont think so, nor do i care.

Ok, this is old now. Does it really matter if they sold out or not? as long as their music is good, I don't really care. They're green day, they're themselves. That's all I care about.

Ok, this is old now. Does it really matter if they sold out or not? as long as their music is good, I don't really care. They're green day, they're themselves. That's all I care about.

do you see any better threads around here?

ugh, who cares if they sold out or not?

I wish it was actually about the music :(

• 3 weeks later...

oh my god, this thread is back. to the person who bumped it, how could you??????

Too many teenies know where the Replybutton is located..

I guess this is kinda goodbye from me

This breaks me heart but it must be said

I'd just like to say i no longer respect the members of green day. It's all over for me, i spent years defending them, saying they weren't sell outs. But truth be told they are now.

It used to be all about the fans and now it's all about the money. They cancelled the gig at paris i was going to just to do promo. That's a key example.

They're too good for ordinary people now.

I loved seeing them live but the lie is over now.

I had some great times with their music and what they represent. Their old music led me to what i am today and other rock music.

I thank them for what they did for me.

I've moved on from the people they were.

I'll always love their music but i can't honestly say i'll always love them anymore.

Goodbye green day, thank you for the goodtimes and memories.

I guess like a wise man once said, it's something unpredictable but in the end is right, i hope you had the time of your life.

Excuse me for my pathetic rant

^^^ that was amazingly said

i may not think the same but thought that was very good points

i can see what you are saying even if i may not agree completly

they actually stole a riff from a motley crue song and put it in to Jesus Of suburbia, and the part is "city of the damned".

Listen to the motley crue song "the show must go on" if you don't believe me still.

i think sell outs is a term for people jealous of a band.

but i think Green Day are sell outs, they have so much merchendise its not funny, everyone listens to them, your automaticly emo if you do listen to them. they care more about the money then their fans.

i honestly dont give a shit if they (or any other band) "sold out" or not. as long as they're making the same music and are the same band, i dont see why it should matter.

i mean, come on, if you were in a band and you had the chance to make it your profession, would you really turn it down? yeah fucking right!

They didn't sell out. They didn't sign to a major label for the money, and they probably wouldn't be what they are today if they didn't sign to the label.

I'm so sick of people saying they did...

green day do seem like they're all about the money to me too, but i don't pay enough attention to them anymore to really care. i'll pop in a cd every once in a while, but i dont listen to them enough to actually care.

green day do seem like they're all about the money to me too, but i don't pay enough attention to them anymore to really care. i'll pop in a cd every once in a while, but i dont listen to them enough to actually care.

then why are you on here ?

and they seem like the opposite of "all about the money", at least to me.

Umm, wake me up when the sell-out thread ends, will ya? It's like a recurring dream where you keep trying to go forward but your legs are stuck in quicksand...

But obviously people still concern themselves about it, and that poster above who's giving it all up - that's really sad, genuinely - you loved this band, and now you're out of love with them.

Here's my take on love, and it applies to whoever you love, be it your dog, your lover, your mom, or a band that means everything to you.

Love means taking in the whole picture, not just the bits you like; love means that a person can behave in a way you don't approve of, and it doesn't get broken - deflected or dented, maybe, but not broken - it just gets bigger to accommodate something new. And you have to let that person have something new, be themselves, change, or you don't love them, really - you were just in love with what you thought they were, and the reality sux for you.

We expect a lot from our heroes - we expect them to carry all of our dreams for us, and maybe behave to even higher standards than we would ourselves. Billie, Mike and Tre - they're three men in their mid-thirties, they've been round the block in many ways that none of us know the depths of, and yet we judge. Broken homes, broken marriages, some booze and drugs - are you there in 'the darkest night'? Do you know what it is to be them ?

Do they have failings, and plenty of them ? Listen to any of Billie Joe's lyrics, all the songs about how he feels he's screwed up and let himself and other people down - he doesn't hide it like most of us do, he fucking sings it loud - what it is to be human.

I love them all for that honesty; I don't expect them to live my ideals, and I don't despise them if they slip in their own - I love it that in this cynical world, they still try, and whether they succeed is for them and their lives, not mine. The important thing is the trying, and that the music stays real.

'To understand all is to forgive all' - and if you really love someone or something, there's nothing to forgive anyway, just stuff to understand.

I'm such a fucking hippy, yeah, lol?! And I love GD. Here - have one of these, guys - :wub: - September's almost over.

Archived