Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

Green Day did not sell out. They are the same guys they were 17 years ago. They have not changed their beliefs. They still sing their old songs and say that those songs mean just as much to them now as they did a long time ago. So if they have sold out and changed their beliefs as some of you have said then why do they still sing and connect with their old songs. And as for all of you talking about all that other shit it does not matter. Fuck what they wear, if they have on make up, and what TV shows they appear on. They always change a little from album to album if not it would get boring, but their beliefs and who they are have not changed. And the whole issue on whether or not they are punk , they are still punk and will always be punk. And for those of you arguing and trying to define punk need to just stop because punk is more than just a style of music it is an attitude, strong belief and passion for what you believe in, a willingness to stand up for what you believe in and be who you are no matter what, it is a way of life. But by no means is punk expressed in one way and one sound if punk could really be defined in one defination and by a set of rule then it would not exist . And finally for those people who do not like Green Day or will not wear their shirts anymore just because they are popular now are no better than other people that only do things because they are popular. (Either way popular society is limmiting or influncing you to dress or not to dress a certain way) Oh and in my opinion yea a lot of the new crowd that Green Day attracts (I am not talking about people who really listen and connect with their music) don't even really understand what Green Day or punk is about they just listen to BOBD and other Green Day songs just because they are on the radio and most people now days will listen to anything on the radio without really understanding it (trust me some people from my school went to the same Green Day concert as I did and they were offended and thought it was so bad what all they said, and even worse one even said "I did not know that they did not like Bush and they even said fuck you Bush which is so wrong" , so do not let those people change the way you feel about Green Day.

"You can take us out of our punk rock environment, but you can't take the punk rock out of us." Bilie Joe Armstrong

"Selling out is compromising your musical intentions, and we don't know how to do that." Mike Dirnt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did Green day Sell out? Not in my opinion

did Green Day make a new ablum called american idiot and it was hugely succesful?

yes.

I Suppose its how you look at it. I dont think they are sell-outs, but others might just because they made it big. People who might compare them to some of the older bands might call them sell-outs. Like the sex-pistols refused a spot in the rock and roll hall of fame calling it a piss stain, So some people might call Green day sell-outs compared to them but.......those people are idiots. They didnt sell out.

Green Day did not sell out. They are the same guys they were 17 years ago. They have not changed their beliefs. They still sing their old songs and say that those songs mean just as much to them now as they did a long time ago. So if they have sold out and changed their beliefs as some of you have said then why do they still sing and connect with their old songs. And as for all of you talking about all that other shit it does not matter. Fuck what they wear, if they have on make up, and what TV shows they appear on. They always change a little from album to album if not it would get boring, but their beliefs and who they are have not changed. And the whole issue on whether or not they are punk , they are still punk and will always be punk. And for those of you arguing and trying to define punk need to just stop because punk is more than just a style of music it is an attitude, strong belief and passion for what you believe in, a willingness to stand up for what you believe in and be who you are no matter what, it is a way of life. But by no means is punk expressed in one way and one sound if punk could really be defined in one defination and by a set of rule then it would not exist . And finally for those people who do not like Green Day or will not wear their shirts anymore just because they are popular now are no better than other people that only do things because they are popular. (Either way popular society is limmiting or influncing you to dress or not to dress a certain way) Oh and in my opinion yea a lot of the new crowd that Green Day attracts (I am not talking about people who really listen and connect with their music) don't even really understand what Green Day or punk is about they just listen to BOBD and other Green Day songs just because they are on the radio and most people now days will listen to anything on the radio without really understanding it (trust me some people from my school went to the same Green Day concert as I did and they were offended and thought it was so bad what all they said, and even worse one even said "I did not know that they did not like Bush and they even said fuck you Bush which is so wrong" , so do not let those people change the way you feel about Green Day.

"You can take us out of our punk rock environment, but you can't take the punk rock out of us." Bilie Joe Armstrong

"Selling out is compromising your musical intentions, and we don't know how to do that." Mike Dirnt

lol i think she jus ended the argument, totaly true

I Suppose its how you look at it. I dont think they are sell-outs, but others might just because they made it big. People who might compare them to some of the older bands might call them sell-outs. Like the sex-pistols refused a spot in the rock and roll hall of fame calling it a piss stain, So some people might call Green day sell-outs compared to them but.......those people are idiots. They didnt sell out.

lol i think she jus ended the argument, totaly true

yeh i agree. it sounds like the guy at the beginning is jealous he's got no idea. Green Day make me happy as far as i'm concerned thats all that matters.

i honestly dont think that they sold out completely i mean they were drop outs they were great artists and that only way for the world to hear their music was for them to go major but i also want to say every artist grows and their music changes slightly well green day has been making music for over a decade thats room for a lot of change

I don't think they sold out, they recorded an album, and it was hugely successful. Is that their fault? I don't really think so. :)

It's hard to say whats "punk" or "selling out", and I think they are the most punk (the "actual" punk- like the ramones, sex pistols, etc.) than the other "punk" bands that are around at the moment.

I really can't be bothered trying to fight for this at the moment. I have my opinions, and everyone else is wrong. :wink: Haha. :cool: :ph34r:

Why does it matter if Green Day are punk or not? They play good music. I hate people who won't listen to a band just because they are popular or they aren't punk.

Green Day themselves didnt sell out

the people making heart grenade air freshners sold out

They actually have heart grenade air fresheners?

Wow, they're really trying to milk the heart grenade thing for all it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Of they're not sellouts! They just signed with a big label because they had this great opportunity. Who wouldn't do that? They still make there own decisions and they still do what they want and they just don't give a fuck what people think about them, Mike once said something like : "If they like our music, good, if they don't like our music, it's there problem."

i don't believe they "sold out" exactly...they stayed true to themselves, so no, they didn't sell out. BUT...i DO believe they changed their sound to fit in. personally, i liked the older sound better...me and practically everyone on here. here's to the next album...i hope it's not commercial!! :)

Of they're not sellouts! They just signed with a big label because they had this great opportunity.

they signed with reprise back in 1994, dookie, there best- recieved album. so wat r u talking about?? wat does reprise have to do with anything??

Isn't being punk about doing whatever the hell you feel like and going against the majority?! Well, Green Day FELT like becoming rich and famous! AND Green Day went against the MAJORITY of the other punk bands who think making monkey is "selling out." Plus, I think the other bands who said Green Day sold out are just fuckin jealous that GD became famous and they're still playing shitty songs in a garage. FU to the regular people who say that GD sold out, too. What the hell do they know?!

Everyone sold out. No matter how much you say fuck capitalism, or fuck the world YOU support it. Unless you don't have a house, steal all your possesions, then you do. Everyone tries to act so high and mighty when everyon is a fucking sellout, and there's nothing wrong with it.

People who keep saying Green Day (or any other band) sold out, maybe they are jealous, maybe they're not. Everyone usually always accuses everyone else of something to make themselves feel better, so this applies to the jealous people because they like to think "Well, my band didn't become successful like that band because we stayed true to our roots. That band are such sell outs!" They hate to admit maybe they just sucked, or are just plain unlucky.

The people who aren't necessarily jealous usually just follow what the jealous people say because it makes them look like "real punks". I mean, try pre-American idiot times (but post-Dookie) when Green Day weren't on MTV and magazines everywhere, I don't think you see many people calling them sell outs and stuff like that. But when AI came out and their popularity just exploded, suddenly they became the band to hate. All the jealous people went on about how much they sold out and the other "punk-followers" just followed what the other "punks" said because thats the "punk" thing to do.

Like the person above me said, everyone sells out. Selling out means nothing, really. What if you grew up in a poor family living on park benches, and then when you were older became rich and successful and you decided to buy a posh mansion and car. That is also selling out, then. After all, selling out is when you dump your original roots.

its funny how all the punks say green day are sell outs because of all the merchandise they have. and then they say 'go and listen to a real punk band like sex pistols and the misfits. theyre not sell outs!'

yet there is more misfits merchandise and sex pistols merchandise. so if that makes green day sellouts doesnt it make sex pistols and misfits sellouts too?

to me selling out is putting out any old crap that you can find just to make money.

green day dont do that and never have.

No they did not sell our....well not in my opinion anyways...being more poplular doesnt mean selling out....

its funny how all the punks say green day are sell outs because of all the merchandise they have. and then they say 'go and listen to a real punk band like sex pistols and the misfits. theyre not sell outs!'

yet there is more misfits merchandise and sex pistols merchandise. so if that makes green day sellouts doesnt it make sex pistols and misfits sellouts too?

to me selling out is putting out any old crap that you can find just to make money.

I also completely agree with this :thumbsup:

Edit:

Greenday did sell out. Any band that signs a contract with a major record label is selling out.

I dissagree and secondly its Green Day - not Greenday :down:

it's actually funny! didn't the sex pistols sign with with some major labels? i think they signed with 2 or 3 of them but they got sacked. (gotta check this)

i think this whole business of selling out is really stupid. to harcore punks you have to be poor and you certainly can't live off your music. well that's just crap! if you have a chance to make a living out of something you really love why not do it? as long as you keep doing it the way you want it and you don't let the label interfere with your creative process and you stay true to your beliefs than you're not selling out. personally i think gd have pushed the limits a bit with all the merchandise but they haven't sold out. and proof of that is their last album. AI was a political statement most bands out there would never have the courage to make. now that's punk!

People who keep saying Green Day (or any other band) sold out, maybe they are jealous, maybe they're not. Everyone usually always accuses everyone else of something to make themselves feel better, so this applies to the jealous people because they like to think "Well, my band didn't become successful like that band because we stayed true to our roots. That band are such sell outs!" They hate to admit maybe they just sucked, or are just plain unlucky.

That's true. It's like someone having something you really want but don't have, so you call them a spoiled bitch. :P

If they were good enough to get this far... Then what's the problem?

Though I do think there's enough AI merch out there... coulda cut back on the promotion, the album obviously didn't need it.

Archived