Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

i think its all just stupid. who cares, they write some of the best songs that have ever been written by anyone ever lol.

why are there rules to being a 'punk'?

'punks' say yeah im punk i break the rules, and the rules to being a punk were to not sign to a major label or your kicked out the underground or whatever.

And green day broke that rule... doesn't that make them more punk???

and 'punks' say the rules for a punk band are to write fast angry songs that aren't any good.

green day wrote good riddance, not fast, acoustic, broke the rule? doesnt that make that song more punk. its like mike dirnt said, the most punk thing theyve ever done is put good riddance on an album.

i hate this whole punk thing and sell out thing, at the end of the day theyre making enough money to do what they want by doing what they enjoy. how good is that, id rather that than have to work a shitty job everyday that gets you enough money so you can just about look after your self.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let me just say this: Green Day is a great rock and roll band.

but i don't really think they are punk, or if any bands are punk anymore.

Because you, as a 16 year old, obviously know and understand what the punk scene should be opposed to three guys who grew up in it?

i honestly dont care if they "sold out" or not. if i like their music, i'm gonna listen to it, despite what label it's released on.

i think its all just stupid. who cares, they write some of the best songs that have ever been written by anyone ever lol.

why are there rules to being a 'punk'?

'punks' say yeah im punk i break the rules, and the rules to being a punk were to not sign to a major label or your kicked out the underground or whatever.

And green day broke that rule... doesn't that make them more punk???

and 'punks' say the rules for a punk band are to write fast angry songs that aren't any good.

green day wrote good riddance, not fast, acoustic, broke the rule? doesnt that make that song more punk. its like mike dirnt said, the most punk thing theyve ever done is put good riddance on an album.

i hate this whole punk thing and sell out thing, at the end of the day theyre making enough money to do what they want by doing what they enjoy. how good is that, id rather that than have to work a shitty job everyday that gets you enough money so you can just about look after your self.

that is just a tiny fraction of why i dont think the idea of punk ever existed in the first place. there have been creative people, or just people with little musical knowledge, who have done their own thing and made great music in the past and all, but the idea of "punk" is just a complete oxymoron and completely rediculous. every "punk" goes against basically everything that they claim "punk" is anyway.

I agree with you Lawnee, but I dont think that means punk never exsisted. I just don't think it can be taken as a literal extreme and still be plausible.

I agree with you Lawnee, but I dont think that means punk never exsisted. I just don't think it can be taken as a literal extreme and still be plausible.

wow, that's not something i'd ever think i'd hear you say. haha.

and i guess what i mean by "not existing", is that this idea that the "punks" have of punk never really existed. there were obviously lots of punk bands and lots of scene kids to follow them around and all.

you'd be surprised how many times i say "i agree with lawnee", usually i just keep those comments to myself.

well, any band who joined a major label is technically selling out. Yeah, they look pretty emo now.

I believe that Green Day are not sell outs because wen they are singing at a concert or touring do you people notic those eyes on green day? some of you havent noticed but billie joe's eyes are practically glittering with joy to see how much people adore green day and i'm sure that green day cares dearly about their fans too. I'm sure they aren't sellouts because they get this jolt of cheery and joy wenever they see fans cheering green day, green day, green day! They know that they are loved and thats one thing they really care about in their music. the fans. :)

At the start of this topic sum1 was goin on about the way green day dress and that they sold out because of that or sumthin to that effect lol well if thats the case is he sayin that anti flag hav sold out cause iv seen alot of pics with the lead guy in the whole black shirt and red tie stuff that billie wears. soz if im talkin aload of shite lol

seriously, anyone who starts up that rediculous "what is punk?" arguement again will be getting a personal beating from me droogies.

though those are always hillarious to read :lol: just because people take it so seriously and all...

well, any band who joined a major label is technically selling out. Yeah, they look pretty emo now.

What the... Wh... What?! :blink:

What the... Wh... What?! :blink:

i know... it is shocking to see how low some intelligent levels can drop to.

Because you, as a 16 year old, obviously know and understand what the punk scene should be opposed to three guys who grew up in it?

they grew up in it . . . i could grow up in a christian household, and be an athiest. people change.

and also i doubt you know what the 'punk scene' was about either. they can't be in a scene anymore, they're making millions, which is great for them . . . but its just strayed to far from where they came from for me to call them 'punk rock' or any band for that matter. i dont think anyone has a clear definition of punk or the supposed 'rules', but a country band can't be a punk band. thats just to far from the original stuff, and thats how i feel with green day too (not that theyre a country band, but that they are a good rock and roll band). and if you base american idiot on it 'sounding' like a certain genre, i'd have to say its also closer to 50s-70s rock and roll sound.

Then we could all argue about that person's definition of punk. (again)

Very true.

I'm going to leave it as, there is no definition of "punk", therefore there is no definition of "sell outs".

Its all down to opinion.

^ i agree w/ Megan..everyone has their own definition of 'punk'...and everyone has their own definition of 'sell outs'..so its hard to say weither GD did sell out...

Just because they decided to go in a different direction and made an album

that sold millions of copies doesn't mean they are sell outs.

Bands need to change. They can't stay the same forever.

If they had made an album that sounded like one of their old ones,

then fans would be dissapointed and bored because it would be the

same music you've heard before.

We are no one to jugde them and their music.

Everyone does their own thing and that's exactly what Green Day did.

They weren't trying to pretend to be something they're not,

like other bands nowadays.

Green Day did not sell out.

End of Story.

who the fuck cares if they did or didn't.

music is music and unless they're singing about all their bitches n'dough,

it doesn't matter.

Archived