Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

I dont think they sold out. They GREW UP. Especially Billie Joe. There music is a little different, but they cant sing about masterbation and stuff when theyr'e raising children, they lead different lives. Theyr'e still "Punk" but AI is a story, and I think, kinda a memory, of what there lives used to be like before they started a family.

That makes complete sense, I agree totally! *bows down* you said what I was thinking but couldn't put into words... :sleep:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they're on the verge of selling out. All these online sites need to stop making stupid useless merch.

AI era needs to end.

*sigh* ok heres what i think.

i don't think green day have sold out.

adeline: i think that the adeline clothing line was mostly for Adie, i know a lot of little girls who dream of being fashion designers when they grow up. maybe it was just her dream and Billie just helped her achieve it. he's already achieved his. and like what has been metioned earlier in this thread-i can't see him sitting down drawing up designs for shirts.

as for the eyeliner and change of clothing style, i bet none of you are wearing the same style of clothing you wore when you were 15 years younger. people (and their style of clothing) change with time, you can't expect them to be the same forever. Also Billie has said that he likes dressing up-when he was 7 he dressed up in a tuxedo and sang a song, though i can't remember which song, so in a way he hasn't changed that much because he wears suits to award shows and stuff. and who cares if he wears eyeliner? if hes following a trend then i'm fine with that-again i'm sure all of you, at some stage in your life, have followed a trend even if it was only for a short period of time.

and so what if they have changed? like i said-everyone changes. and like others have said-they've matured and grown up. and i dont think they did that for anyone but themselves. selling out-in my oppinion is changing things about yourself and your music to make it appeal to more people in order to get more money. sure the sound has changed-but they've said they want to experiment with genres and stuff-look at warning. the music still comes from his heart and it always has so whats the big deal if the sound has changed.

i really think this next album will answer the question "have green day sold out?"

if the next album is released quickly and contains shitty songs made especially for the mainstream audience then they've sold out. but if the next album is released later (like they say it will be) and is full of good green day songs that still appeal to us then they havent and if the mainstream happen to like the new album then thats great for the band. if they make an album that doesn't appeal to the mainstream audience, but the mainstream likes it then green day have no control over that.

i dont know if any of that made any sense at all.

but i really do think the next album will reveal the answer.

i think they havent started doing anything for the money any more than they ever did. so, i dont really think they "sold out". HOWEVER, they have gotten older, more mature...and definatly more boring. but theyre in their mid-thirties, they cant still be running around naken and talking about whacking off all the time pretending theyre just goofs. If they did that theyd be fake. The point is, theyre almost as old as a lot of your parents, and just cus they started acting more normal doesnt mean they are doing it for money or anything.

IN FACT, when they started getting more mature (warning, american idiot era). Riddiculously immature bands like blink 182 and sum 41 were whats selling, so you cant really accuse em of acting mature for money.

Sorry, no offense, but that guy really has to pull that stick out of his ass.

As Tre' has quoted "I concur..." with Anna A

*sigh* ok heres what i think.

i don't think green day have sold out.

adeline: i think that the adeline clothing line was mostly for Adie, i know a lot of little girls who dream of being fashion designers when they grow up. maybe it was just her dream and Billie just helped her achieve it. he's already achieved his. and like what has been metioned earlier in this thread-i can't see him sitting down drawing up designs for shirts.

as for the eyeliner and change of clothing style, i bet none of you are wearing the same style of clothing you wore when you were 15 years younger. people (and their style of clothing) change with time, you can't expect them to be the same forever. Also Billie has said that he likes dressing up-when he was 7 he dressed up in a tuxedo and sang a song, though i can't remember which song, so in a way he hasn't changed that much because he wears suits to award shows and stuff. and who cares if he wears eyeliner? if hes following a trend then i'm fine with that-again i'm sure all of you, at some stage in your life, have followed a trend even if it was only for a short period of time.

and so what if they have changed? like i said-everyone changes. and like others have said-they've matured and grown up. and i dont think they did that for anyone but themselves. selling out-in my oppinion is changing things about yourself and your music to make it appeal to more people in order to get more money. sure the sound has changed-but they've said they want to experiment with genres and stuff-look at warning. the music still comes from his heart and it always has so whats the big deal if the sound has changed.

i really think this next album will answer the question "have green day sold out?"

if the next album is released quickly and contains shitty songs made especially for the mainstream audience then they've sold out. but if the next album is released later (like they say it will be) and is full of good green day songs that still appeal to us then they havent and if the mainstream happen to like the new album then thats great for the band. if they make an album that doesn't appeal to the mainstream audience, but the mainstream likes it then green day have no control over that.

i dont know if any of that made any sense at all.

but i really do think the next album will reveal the answer.

i really agree with this statement!!! and i can't wait for the answer you're talking about!

i think they havent started doing anything for the money any more than they ever did. so, i dont really think they "sold out". HOWEVER, they have gotten older, more mature...and definatly more boring. but theyre in their mid-thirties, they cant still be running around naken and talking about whacking off all the time pretending theyre just goofs. If they did that theyd be fake. The point is, theyre almost as old as a lot of your parents, and just cus they started acting more normal doesnt mean they are doing it for money or anything.

IN FACT, when they started getting more mature (warning, american idiot era). Riddiculously immature bands like blink 182 and sum 41 were whats selling, so you cant really accuse em of acting mature for money.

yeah and if they were fake-then they would be sell outs because i dont think there's any reason why they would want to be be fake other than to impress other people. i agree-i dont think they matured for the money, i think it just came naturally. otherwise its to set a good example for their kids.

since when have they stopped playing longview live?

Thats a classic Green Day song, theyre not going to suddenly stop playing that. I meant in the future for there musical career, I cant imagain Billie writing another song about masterbation, maybe 10 years ago, not now.

Exactly what IS selling out?

Whats the definition?

selling yourself.

by the way

how come no one ever goes "I TOTALLY AGREE!" to my posts :(

your post didn't really help me....

but ok.

selling yourself.

I TOTALLY AGREE

your post didn't really help me....

but ok.

I TOTALLY AGREE

oh, it means changing who are for money.

oh.... well i don't think they've sold out

thanks for that

:]]]]]]]]]]]]]

They always stayed true to their punk roots.

most of the songs on american idiot couldn't possibly be considered punk songs. not that it's a bad thing, but saying songs like wake me up and are we the waiting are green day staying true to their punk roots is a ridiculous statement.

Who cares whether they're "sell outs" or not? They make a living and are maturing as musicians. That always angers me when people say, "Oh Metallica are sell outs" Please! They just grew up and are making a living. Where's the rest of the shitty 80's thrash bands now? Living in cars, washing dishes for a living... Please, people.

how is changing a style of music in order to make a living off of it not selling out? that's pretty much the most prime example of selling out that there is.

they've been accused of selling out since the dookie era, so i'm sure some crazed fan has transcripts of the same conversations in old school chatrooms.

personally, i've always said this (sarcastically) to people. i believe selling out is accepting money for what you love, while saying "we're just doing it for the _____." whether you love math and become an accountant or love music and become a musician, you're selling out. the only way to not sell out is to make money off of something you take no joy from. or, the more succinct, "selling out is signing a contract."

as i said, that's the joke. in reality, i would define selling out as completely changing yourself in order to make more money, be it sucking up to the boss or going from country music to pop (i'm looking at you, shania twain). i don't think green day has truly sold out yet, i just think that they are growing up musically and mentally, and are evolving as such. that's right, i'm from kansas and support a form of evolution. what.

trust me, i've been through many of these discussions, particularly with classmates circa 2000/2001. remember, i'm a metallica fan.

most of the songs on american idiot couldn't possibly be considered punk songs. not that it's a bad thing, but saying songs like wake me up and are we the waiting are green day staying true to their punk roots is a ridiculous statement.

so what? they like some modern rock and stuff now too? theyre not gonna have the same taste in music as they did when they were 15. just cus they changed doesnt mean its for money.

I wonder if that guy who replied you feels like an ass right now.

Just wondering.

so what? they like some modern rock and stuff now too? theyre not gonna have the same taste in music as they did when they were 15. just cus they changed doesnt mean its for money.

nor was i even implying they did with that post. good work.

^ I don't think the songs on American Idiot are "punk" either. Bands today just seem to play music about war, and politics, and if punk is about "not following the trends" (not my defenition, by the way) then how can American Idiot be punk?

^ I don't think the songs on American Idiot are "punk" either. Bands today just seem to play music about war, and politics, and if punk is about "not following the trends" (not my defenition, by the way) then how can American Idiot be punk?

who cares? the music on that album is still really good whether its punk or not. it does sound different to what they've done before, but they're not going to stay the same forever. like i've said before-look at warning. thats not like anything they've done before and some of the songs on there can't really be classified as pure "punk" either. as long as it sounds good i don't care what genre they decide to experiment with...unless its rap or hip-hip or the like.

Archived