Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

Dude. The band answers this for you when they accept awards.

They talk about how they were in control of every aspect, just like the DIY Punk value to Do It Yourself.

So how the hell can you even ASK if they've sold out?

And I've got news for punks - old punks, post-punks, newage punks all alike - if you think anyone believes that you don't care whether or not your music sells, you're full of it. So lay off judging people by what label they belong to.

And for those of you who make up ALTERNATIVE definitions to selling out just so Green Day applies, F* you too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive been sitting here thinking about all this shit posted lately about Green Day selling out, Billie new solo album, or even the ocassional re-incarnation of ciggarets and valentines. Althought the succes of AI brought them to a new place musically along with their new generation of fans (not to mention them wollowing in cold cash) and also the bad pr lately, that I can begin to question whats next? Seeing as how bilie joes mind should sit undisturbed and be let to wonder on its own seeking whatever brilliant thing pops out of that mans head, shouldnt be pushed or rocked to its limits, I begin to wonder about the future. I recently read the update on the idiot club about their legacy right now, them taking a break still recovering from the after shock of American Idiot makes me think of what will they bring out next. how can they still be Green Day, at least the guys the media knows today, without leaving behind what they started scince their masterpiece dookie. Right now they opened up a new world and even mind set in Billie Joe, and Green Days carreer, almost overhwhemimg of ahving to live up to what youve been fihgting againts fro the last sixteen years. In their eyes they've become but a musicall tool, a brivery, now with their icon studded fame, and reputation. Will they sell out? it depends how you look at it, from a fans point of view a little part of them might be forgotten or never fully opened as it shouldv'e been , from the media no, their still making catchy records and will continue the popular teenie fucking stud rep. Give them a break, a genious can only be as good as time allows. the right charma, seeing as how billie joes perfect standards only allow him to do what in his mind satisfy his urge of passion for his work let alone sanity. Right now at this moment he could perfectly well be writing the greatest greenday song ever in eyeliner, time is the only thing hat seems relevant. their not selling out as billie joe said before He is Green Day giving that up would be giving up his life, his mind, what gives him a pulse, for the dirty hearts bleeding off his scences, for his own charity, or even for the sake of making good music. Green Day will never really sell out, not in his , or my eyes.

If people have already made threads about all this stuff, why did you make another one?

Here's a quote from the Ben Myers book that was re-released last month.

If you hate Green Day for what they have become, then it is you that has changed and not the band.

there is already a sell out thread. which is basiclaly what this is.

If people have already made threads about all this stuff, why did you make another one?

for the sake of hopefully completing the cycle.

for the sake of hopefully completing the cycle.

I try to convince people who used to like Green Day that they didn't sell out. It's no use.

I try to convince people who used to like Green Day that they didn't sell out. It's no use.

hence "used" to like Green Day

that doesnt apply to me, I shouldve refrased it, (In the medias point of view) wich is what it was.

that makes you just as annoying as the people who try to persuade us that green day are shit.

The fact of the matter is, we will never all agree if Green Day has sold out or not. This is simply because everyone has their own definition of what "selling-out" really is.

I would say that if you hate them for what they've become, you never understood what they were about in the first place, which is all in the line 'a free-for-all, fuck 'em all', from the big GD-philosophy song, Minority. One light, one mind - one life, and you live it to the max. That means you do whatever is saying 'yes' to you at the time, and not being constrained by anyone else's value systems or opinions; whatever is going to be a cool experience, or do some good, or just be fucking great fun, as long as you don't waste the time - you value every minute.

They've evolved, and some of their fans appear seem like they haven't. I still for the life of me can't understand what the current 'sell-out' label is supposed to mean, other than to try and hurt some people by dredging up a term from what was one of the worst experiences of their lives, and they don't deserve that kind of shit.

They never set in stone what they stood for - other people did that, and then expected them to live up to it.

And as for the NASCAR thing, I agree with Netty - haven't they always liked cars, from the beat-up one on Christie Road to the one in the Boulevard video?

Is that a crime now?

who gives a fuck if GD sells out? i don't get it, just cuz one night they were in a club, then the next popular as hell...... they are the SAME band, singing the SAME SONGS!!!! I don't get you people. Get over yourselves!! :mad:

^^denail is more than a river in egypt. i would still like em even if they sold out, i dont care its their choice. but there IS such a thing as selling out. nofx wouldnt put their name on a nascar for 100 million dollars. selling out isnt getting money its how you do it. bret from bad religion (owns epitaph) probly has million and millions in the bank, but not a sellout. its how you get it.

what? there's a reason epitaph is one of the most hated labels out there (and i'm not talking about the overload of shitty music)

anyway, yeah i think the band has definitely sold out, but that's not the reason i don't listen to them much any more. most of my favorite bands are or were labeled as sell outs in their times, that doesn't have an effect on my opinion of the music

Green Day...It's hard to say. No, I don't believe they stole other bands riffs. You can only have so many songs written before you get some similar tunes.

Punk hates fame. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Punks want to remain underground because that's more "punk" to them. It's kind of selfish, and just plain stupid when a genre rejects a band just because they get somewhere other than garage practices and 10 people gigs.

Green Day's been doing the same things since day one. They just happened to get more famous. They still make their music based on their own experiences and opinions. They just gained fans with every album they made.

So if Green Day are sell outs, they were always meant to be sell outs. Because they're making the same genre of music they have been since Gilman days.

I totally agree with this green day are deffo not sell outs!

They rock......they always have..............nd always will....

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe Green Day are sell outs either...they are still creating music in whatever way they see fit. Whether people like it or not is up to the people that listen to Green Day or give them half a chance. They are still creating lyrics and songs relating to whatever they see fit to be passionate about - they don't care if you like it, as long as they get their views put across then they are happy...if you don't like it you don't need to listen to it. I'm pretty sure Green Day don't give a shit if you think they are a sell out band...

If Green day had been creating music in the same style to the day that they first began then everybody would've got bored of them YEARS ago...17 years on they must have been doing something right to have such a large fan base. What CaesarSalad said right at the beginning about punk wanting to remain underground and playing gigs to groups of 10 people just wasn't possible for Green Day because I BELIEVE they have a style that appeals to a wide age range and group of people (as I saw at the Green Day gig in Milton Keynes last year):D Just because you are creating music that appeals to millions of people does not mean that you have sold out...as long as Green Day keep their heads on and keep creating music in such a style that reflects their musical talent, abilities and passion then how can they be sell outs?! I am probably repeating what everybody else has said before me...I do realise that!

I for one am looking forward to Green Day's next musical venture...and I personally don't give a shit if I support a "sell out" band because I like their style, their music speaks to me and I believe that everyone wants to better themselves in life...JUST WHAT GREEN DAY have done throughout their musical career!!! :D:P

I dont think they sold out. They GREW UP. Especially Billie Joe. There music is a little different, but they cant sing about masterbation and stuff when theyr'e raising children, they lead different lives. Theyr'e still "Punk" but AI is a story, and I think, kinda a memory, of what there lives used to be like before they started a family.

hell yes they sold out but that never shanged my love.....wouldnt you do the same thing in that situation?

I dont think they sold out. They GREW UP. Especially Billie Joe. There music is a little different, but they cant sing about masterbation and stuff when theyr'e raising children, they lead different lives. Theyr'e still "Punk" but AI is a story, and I think, kinda a memory, of what there lives used to be like before they started a family.

I agree..totally agree.

Archived