Did Green Day sell out?

Fuzz

i seriously dont think green day makes records to make money. if they did they would have quit after dookie. that album sold so many records they would be set for life. but no. they made more. and also, they're making ANOTHER. even after the millions of dollars they made from american idiot. they make music because they like to make music.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont beleive they do it for the money....but i get the feeling they (or at least bj) really likes the fame. who knows.

who wouldnt like the fame!

you go from nothing to everything!

of course he's gonna like the fame

until it dies down then he'll get back to business

Guest KillEmAll

Who wouldn't like? I'll tell you who, Black metal bands, they have to stay Tr00(BM slang, not stupid internet jargon) Oh yeah if you havn't noticed I've returned scene kids..

Last time I checked green gay still wore eyeliner, still sucked, and were still sell outs.. not to meantion their fanbase of a couple million poseur scene kids.

Another thing, Green Day is the only band I've ever known who charges people to be in their fanclub (aka "idiot club" it's very appropriately named. ) Metalllica sold out with the black album but at least you don't have to pay to be their fan Green Day is beyond sell-out, they're super-sell-outs.

Not one of you fans is brave enough to stand up to that?

To me, it really doesn't matter whether they did sell out or not. I don't care -- all that matters to me the most is their music.

Who wouldn't like? I'll tell you who, Black metal bands, they have to stay Tr00(BM slang, not stupid internet jargon) Oh yeah if you havn't noticed I've returned scene kids..

Last time I checked green gay still wore eyeliner, still sucked, and were still sell outs.. not to meantion their fanbase of a couple million poseur scene kids.

Another thing, Green Day is the only band I've ever known who charges people to be in their fanclub (aka "idiot club" it's very appropriately named. ) Metalllica sold out with the black album but at least you don't have to pay to be their fan Green Day is beyond sell-out, they're super-sell-outs.

well im a fan and i dont think i qualify as....a scene kid...whatever the hell that is.

i dont get why everyone freaks out about the eyeliner thing....ozzy wore it, alice cooper wore it, social distortion wore it. i could go on for hours. the idiot club is very stupid, ill give you that. I still think all these retarded accounts recently are the same person. fuck off man, none of us think your cool.

well im a fan and i dont think i qualify as....a scene kid...whatever the hell that is.

i dont get why everyone freaks out about the eyeliner thing....ozzy wore it, alice cooper wore it, social distortion wore it. i could go on for hours. the idiot club is very stupid, ill give you that. I still think all these retarded accounts recently are the same person. fuck off man, none of us think your cool.

[sarcasm]Yeah, we're all the same person[sarcasm] Check IPs, you're not noticing any differences in personalities between us? For the most part, we all hate Green Day, but to different extents. Lion.. Err, Kill Em All hates them to the extreme of an extreme =P I hate American Idiot to the extreme of an extreme.. I hate Dookie and after.. I don't mind Kerplunk or 39/Smooth and I have absolutely no respect for the band..

And all you did was address a single one of his arguements, seriously.. if you're gunna respond to an arguement at least answer to the most important points of it instead of being selective to the one minor point you can answer and ignoring the rest.

Guest FallenAngel

you're a disgrace of the metal fans population. if you hate GD, why come here and make shitty remarks?

you're a disgrace of the metal fans population. if you hate GD, why come here and make shitty remarks?

Walk over to my 300+ cd collection.. somewhere in there you'll find Kerplunk and a very beat up used copy of 39/Smooth.. That's why.. but sadly, nearly noone here talks about those two albums :/

Guest FallenAngel

Walk over to my 300+ cd collection.. somewhere in there you'll find Kerplunk and a very beat up used copy of 39/Smooth.. That's why.. but sadly, nearly noone here talks about those two albums :/

heh, i like those myself and i like metal more then anything else, but i don't come and make posts like you do, what are you gonna prove anyway? that Metallica or Megadeth is better then GD? If you're true metal fan how could you even compare them?

to be fair, things that i think could be "selling out" are pulling their records from lookout, and the Adeline clothing line was definatly pushing it. but i dont really care.

seriously, if you come here for multiple occasions to make fun of a band, you are really fucking pathetic. by the way, do you have any of your own music? id really love to hear it. :thumbsup: even bands like metallica and megadeath would probly laugh at you of they saw you. something like this would be understandable from a 13 year old trying to be punk, but your a fucking 22 year old man for christs sake.

I'm not sure...but when you get that big, isn't it kind of hard not to at least sell out a little bit?? I know that's not possible...but now they're no longer underground, I guess they might as well take all the oppertunities...but having to pay to be in their fanclub is a teeny tiny bit extreme...But as long as they keep making good music, who cares?

heh, i like those myself and i like metal more then anything else, but i don't come and make posts like you do, what are you gonna prove anyway? that Metallica or Megadeth is better then GD? If you're true metal fan how could you even compare them?

Well of course not.. As Green Day have become what they are today through song-writting, not talent.. And then doubled their fan base by selling out a few years back. I don't compare them.. I got pissed on the other thread cause Mclaren was insulting Slayer.. I wouldn't mind if he had good reason or was just insulting their newer albums.. But his reasoning was that they only played the same thing material again and again every album.. :down:

yea the last time i checked metal pussys didn't give a shit about the "poseur scene kids". leave us poseurs alone.

To me, it really doesn't matter whether they did sell out or not. I don't care -- all that matters to me the most is their music.

Amen to that! :D

*Pulls hair out* Well, here ya go:

Ok, In my opinion Green Day did NOT sell out. If you were lving in a shack with brely any money barely making it in the world and all you had was your music...you with me? and all of the sudden a record company comes to you saying 'We'll let be stylistic in your own way, we won't critisize you, and we'll let you make a living off of it' What would you say. Call me a dumb ass, but it's exactly everyone's goal in life to be poor their whole life. I wou;d've taken it too. All their records untill now have all about fun and doing what you want, which just makes American Idiot so much greater. They are finally doing what they had been writing songs about for 12 years. They are doing what they want. They are telling Bush he is a retarded ass hole who sucks monkey ass. I Think that is awesome and one of the most punk things I have ever seen.

Amen. I agree completely. Some people seem to think that becuase they are succesfull, they're sellouts. They're not. Like you said, they're doing what they've wrote about for years, and they've earned what they have. They still stand for everything they did when they first started out. They're still punk. The music's still great, so why should we worry? :happy:

yea the last time i checked metal pussys didn't give a shit about the "poseur scene kids". leave us poseurs alone.

Alright, I know what you're getting at, don't worry, trying to get us to leave.. But seriously, don't fucking joke about that.. Call me a pussy, call Lion a pussy, whatever the fuck you want, we'll defend ourselves.. But don't fucking insult metal, seriously, chances are you're a huge Dookie and after fan so please shut the fuck up if your plan was to bash on metal..

Guest Metal Heart

Well of course not.. As Green Day have become what they are today through song-writting, not talent.. And then doubled their fan base by selling out a few years back. I don't compare them.. I got pissed on the other thread cause Mclaren was insulting Slayer.. I wouldn't mind if he had good reason or was just insulting their newer albums.. But his reasoning was that they only played the same thing material again and again every album.. :down:

Oh, him. nevermind him. and \m/

Amen. I agree completely. Some people seem to think that becuase they are succesfull, they're sellouts. They're not. Like you said, they're doing what they've wrote about for years, and they've earned what they have. They still stand for everything they did when they first started out. They're still punk. The music's still great, so why should we worry? :happy:

It is in no way still punk.. And no they're not doing what they've always been.. Lets compare, Kerplunk and American Idiot.. How much alike are those two.. One is pop-punk the other is hypocritical-pop... Seriously, the best riff in "American Idiot" is like an extremely simplistic power chord.. and that's their best, and it's a simple power chord, too.. They bash on the media in American Idiot, yet they themselves have whored themselves out to the media a few years back.. Notice real solos in their early career and actual punk riffs.. Then notice how those solos have disappeared since and the riffs are very much so pop. Did they just decide one day to completely simplify their music and ditch their pop-punk style.. just for the fun of it? No.. They have very much so sold out, if you're stubborn enough to have thought they hadn't up until 2004.. "American Idiot" shoulda been all the convincing anyone would need...

I still like "Kerplunk" and "39/Smooth" all the same, but try to at least stop serving up lies and accept they sold out.. Whether or not you "care"..

Guest KillEmAll

Haha, gorgoroth right? I recognized avatar..

Archived